Posted to rec.food.sourdough
graham[_4_] graham[_4_] is offline

Default Anybody still reading here?

On 12/12/2015 3:14 PM, Dusty wrote:
> On 12-Dec-15 11:56, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still
>>> get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as
>>> Carl offered in the old days.
>>>

>> I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
>> Graham

> Ha! Gotcha I did! There's going to be a discussion about royalties ya
> know...
> My memory apparently not being as good as yours, just which recipe was
> that? I've got dozens that I circulate through. And how/what does that
> Dutch oven do for the outcome? Apparently you like it. Can you
> summarize it? Pictures perhaps?

I started using this method after reading about Jim Lahey's "NNo-Knead"
method that was first published in the New York Times and later in his book.
I didn't like his dough method but I did like the results from baking
the bread in a cast iron casserole. At first I used a Le Creuset
marmitout bu then invested in a Lodge dutch oven. I insist on Lodge as
it's US made and you know what you are getting. One never knows what
goes into the cast iron in Chinese foundries!!
I use the method whether I am baking a pure SD, hybrid SD/yeast or yeast
raised loaves.
Assuming you make a boule type loaf and have raised the dough in a
banneton or brotform, place the Lodge with its lid in the oven and
preheat to 450F. When ready, plop the dough in the Lodge and replace the
lid. After ~25 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15-20
minutes. No greasing or other treatment of the casserole is necessary.

I found that plopping the dough straight from the banneton often
resulted in slightly lop-sided loaves as the dough stuck briefly to one
part of the banneton. I now plop it onto a piece of parchment and then
lift the paper by the corners and put it into the Lodge.

Baking in such an enclosed space means that you don't have to spray with
water and the oven spring is excellent.
Try it! You'll probably never go back to baking on a stone.
Cheers
Graham