Old 09-10-2003, 06:55 AM
Irma

Default Old Fashion Biscuits

Hi Linda;

This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico, since
my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all over
Mexico city and some other states.

If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
kitchen long ago.

If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican food
recipes.

I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same group
about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out my
problem.

Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican food?
But, what about the others reading this group?

By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some questions
to you before and you never answer.

Irma.

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are several
groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.

Linda

"A1 WBarfieldsr" wrote in message
.. .
Old Fashion Biscuits

2 cups All-Purpose flour
2 Tbls. baking powder
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/2 cup lard
2/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Make a well in the center.
Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
Stir just until dough clings together.
Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the

cutter
into flour before each cut.
Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
coating of melted lard.
Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.

--
William Barfieldsr

Old 09-10-2003, 01:04 PM
William Jennings

Default Old Fashion Biscuits & Guacamole

Judging from what I've read the past few days in this NG, many only know
what they have read in cook books or learned over vacation about food in
Mexico. Knowing the foods historical vignettes and sometimes poignant
anecdotes is just as important as capturing the flavor.

The flan recipes sort of did it for me. Flan recipes to be sure, but
nothing I would serve. My conclusion.... why bother and put up with some
smart remarks from someone in Ohio who spent two weeks in Mexico eating at a
resort.

Makes you wonder how many know what a cazuela is... much less use them.

I use the Eagle Brand, Pet Evaporated milk recipe for flan with a hint of
orange flavor. I made it for a party and it went so fast
my girlfriend and her mother didn't get enough. The next week I made it for
them again in a 6"x12"x2" glass baking dish. I took off and went fishing
overnight. The next day on my return I thought about the tasty flan waiting
at home.
To my dismay there was no flan. They had eaten the entire thing...... both
have been a little sick of flan evry since ;-)

Let them eat biscuits con guacamole.

doc

.. .

Old 09-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Linda

"Irma" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Linda;

This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

since

"pan dulce" but not biscuits, not "old fashion biscuits"

my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

over
Mexico city and some other states.

If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
kitchen long ago.

What part of Mexico are you from?

If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican food
recipes.

Yes it is, but IMHO "old fashion biscuits" don't qualify..

I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

group
about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out my
problem.

Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican food?
But, what about the others reading this group?

Maybe you misread my post....I did not ask someone to post in another group.
I merely suggested there might be a more appropriate group for "old
fashioned biscuits"

By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

questions
to you before and you never answer.

Sorry, I don't recall that.

BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
biscuits" none of mine (and I
have quite a few) have a recipe.

Linda

Irma.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:22 PM
William Jennings

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
biscuits" none of mine (and I
have quite a few) have a recipe.

Linda

I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the world.
Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook towards
the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.

doc

Old 09-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Linda

"William Jennings" wrote in message

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
biscuits" none of mine (and I
have quite a few) have a recipe.

Linda

I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

you're absolutely right..my mother-in-law just throws everything in..I do
too with
a lot of things I cook. That's why I still haven't posted my ranchero sauce
recipe yet..
There really is *no* recipe.

I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the

world.
Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook

towards
the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.

doc

have a large collection too. But none of my Mexican books have a recipe
for "old fashion
biscuits"

Linda

Old 09-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Jim Lane

Linda wrote:

.. .

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several

groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.

Linda

"A1 WBarfieldsr" wrote in message
m...

[...]

And while the mouth is at it, he can put up his recipe for flan and not
some non-duplicable generalitites.

jim

Old 09-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Jim Lane

William Jennings wrote:

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

Careful, doc, you might be making a fool out of oyurself. Put up or shut
up. We'll more than settle for any resipe you can put up from a
Spanish-language cookbook. A lot are bi-lingual here.

So, put up or shut up. The challenge has been made twice now.

jim

Old 09-10-2003, 07:40 PM
William Jennings

"Jim Lane" wrote in message
Careful, doc, you might be making a fool out of oyurself. Put up or shut
up. We'll more than settle for any resipe you can put up from a
Spanish-language cookbook. A lot are bi-lingual here.

So, put up or shut up. The challenge has been made twice now.

I guess I'll hug my teddy bear close tonight...........

Exactly what are you talking about, what challenge and who is we'll? Do you
have a mouse in your pocket?

doc

Old 09-10-2003, 08:05 PM
William Jennings

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Snip

.. That's why I still haven't posted my ranchero sauce recipe yet.. There
really is *no* recipe.

Exactly, there are no definitive recipes. I live in a city where there are
thousands of different Ranchero Sauces.
I spent no small amount of time defining for myself just what did it for me.
I find for my taste I like roasted plum tomatoes or canned stewed tomatoes,
onions, touch of garlic and clantro with chile petines that heats my whole
mouth. I am talking about dried chile petines and not the pickled ones.

I know, picky, picky, picky but that's taste for you.

snip

have a large collection too. But none of my Mexican books have a recipe
for "old fashion
biscuits"

But you do have Erma. Hey, biscuits have too many carbs for me these days
anyway, seldom eat them.

doc

Old 09-10-2003, 10:07 PM
William Jennings

Irma,

Here you go:

LOS BISQUETS BISQUETS OBREGON
Razón Social: Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón SA de
CV.Lousiana No. 58, Col. NápolesMéxico DFC.P. 03810México
Contacto: Delgadillo, Adriana Email: :

doc

.. .

Old 09-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Linda

According to Googling, Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón is
a restaurant/cafe and not a "backery "

Linda

"William Jennings" wrote in message
Irma,

Here you go:

LOS BISQUETS BISQUETS OBREGON
Razón Social: Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón SA de
CV.Lousiana No. 58, Col. NápolesMéxico DFC.P. 03810México
Contacto: Delgadillo, Adriana Email: :

doc

.. .

Old 10-10-2003, 01:43 AM
William Jennings

Default Old Fashion Biscuits - The Saga Continues

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

According to Googling, Desarrolladora de Franquicias Los Bisquets Obregón

is
a restaurant/cafe and not a "backery "

A Panaderia it is not. According to my notes the two best panaderias
(subjective opinion) in Mexico D.F. are next to one another on Av. 16 de
Septiembre near Eje Central, Pastelería La Ideal and El Globo. These
panaderias are among the oldest in Mexico.

Erma has the e-mail address he for
""Bisquets Obregon." This was her original request last January.

Usually one selects Mexican bakery items with a pair of tongs and a tray
from a vast assortment of items in a the old style panaderias. Often these
same bread stuffs will appear in nearby restaurants, cafes, loncherías and
sometimes the taquerías.

Interestingly, Los Bisquets Obregón appears to be a U.S.A owned chain with
various locations in Mexico including Cancun.

Does this help?

doc

DISCLAIMER: All opinions here belong to my cat and no one else

Old 10-10-2003, 02:46 AM
Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "William Jennings"
shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:43:57 GMT:

According to my notes the two best panaderias
(subjective opinion) in Mexico D.F. are next to one another on Av. 16
de Septiembre near Eje Central, Pastelería La Ideal and El Globo.
These panaderias are among the oldest in Mexico.

El Globo is a chain, and there are MANY of them throughout Mexico
City. My aunt swears by them whenever she needs to buy a cake. The
quality seems to be very consistent among all of them. I do not believe I
have been to "La Ideal", but the next time I'm in that neighborhood, I
will check it out. I so enjoy bread.

Usually one selects Mexican bakery items with a pair of tongs and a
tray from a vast assortment of items in a the old style panaderias.

Yes. The inclusion in many grocery stores of their own panaderias
has put a lot of real Panaderias out of business, unfortunately. Though
they still operate the same in the grocery stores with the tongs and tray.

--Douglas
Old 10-10-2003, 04:27 AM
jlph

maybe is you look for bisquets and not for bicuits

jl
"Linda" schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]

"William Jennings" wrote in message

news:[email protected]

Old 10-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Irma

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Irma" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Linda;

This Biscuits are part of our "sweet bread" "pan de dulce" in Mexico,

since

"pan dulce" but not biscuits, not "old fashion biscuits"

I will try to be clear, in a "panaderia" there are some sections, one, with
bolillos and teleras and so on "pan de sal" and another one with "pan de
dulce" there you can find "old fashion bisquets", that we call bisquets.

my Mamy was a kid, Biscuits are found in any backery in Mexico, and even
there is a house "Bisquets Obregon", that now has a lot of branches all

over
Mexico city and some other states.

If they came from another country, they have been adopted to our Mexican
kitchen long ago.

What part of Mexico are you from?

******
I am from Mexico City, and I have lived in 4 different states for few years
Puebla, in Atlixco; Veracruz, Martinez de la Torre; Chiapas, Tuxtla
Gutiérrez, and Michoacán, Morelia.

If this group as far as I understand is to discuss and share Mexican

food
recipes.

Yes it is, but IMHO "old fashion biscuits" don't qualify..

****
Ok, I respect your opinion, but don't share it.

I had problems with this recipe long ago and I asked in this very same

group
about the recipe and Shelora, Arturo and Jerry helped me to figure out

my
problem.

Why you find this recipe out of place? Why you ask someone to post in
another group? just because you consider this recipe is not Mexican

food?
But, what about the others reading this group?

Maybe you misread my post....I did not ask someone to post in another

group.
I merely suggested there might be a more appropriate group for "old
fashioned biscuits"

***
Thanks for the suggestion, but I still think this way.

By the way, I hope now you answer my post, since I have made some

questions
to you before and you never answer.

Sorry, I don't recall that.

BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
biscuits" none of mine (and I
have quite a few) have a recipe.

********
Sorry Linda, I don't have any Mexican food recipe book, well my husband got
one in Germany to get the name of the mexican ingredients in German mainly.
All my recipes are from my family relatives and friends. The bisquets ones I
have, because I have two, were given from my Granny "Tata Lucita"
(Zacatecas, 1900-1973) the other one my Granny "Beatriz" (Mexico City, 1910-
1965, btw, she was a cooking teacher).

Linda

Irma.

"Linda" wrote in message
[...]

Usenet going out of fashion Krypsis General Cooking 19 29-11-2011 01:49 AM
Old Fashion Cooking weaver615 General Cooking 2 23-05-2008 06:21 PM
old fashion fudge Carla HaIrCuTTeR General Cooking 51 18-11-2004 07:04 AM
Old Fashion Hot Chocolate A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:34 PM
Old Fashion Breakfast Drink A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:05 PM