FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Old Fashion Biscuits (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14082-old-fashion-biscuits.html)

A1 WBarfieldsr 06-10-2003 08:37 PM

Old Fashion Biscuits

2 cups All-Purpose flour
2 Tbls. baking powder
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/2 cup lard
2/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Put 2 Tbls. lard in a skillet and get it hot; grease the sides.
Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Cut in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Make a well in the center.
Pour the buttermilk in all at once.
Stir just until dough clings together.
Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes.
Roll or pat to 1/2-1 inch thickness.
Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or big mouth jar, dipping the cutter
into flour before each cut.
Transfer to the hot greased skillet, covering each biscuit with a thin
coating of melted lard.
Bake in a 450 F. oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
Makes: 10-12 biscuits.
Serve steaming hot with sweet butter and your favorite jam.

--
William Barfieldsr

Linda 06-10-2003 11:22 PM

Old Fashion Biscuits

Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are several
groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.

Linda

.. .

Dimitri 07-10-2003 01:02 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are several
groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.

Linda

I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't that
mak'em Mexican?

Dimitri

William Jennings 07-10-2003 03:20 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

Along the Tex-Mex Boarder Plex, old fashion biscuits as described in the
post are often found in panderies beside sweet anise molletes, bolillos,
pumpkin empanaditas and a multitude of exuberantly colored pasteles.

doc

"Dimitri" wrote in message
m...

news:[email protected]

The Ranger 07-10-2003 03:31 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

Dimitri wrote in message
m asked Linda
after she wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there
are several groups that would be more appropriate for this
recipe. Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple.
Honestly "Old Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place
here.

I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers -
Doesn't that mak'em Mexican?

Only if they're from El Paso cans.

The Ranger

William Jennings 07-10-2003 03:37 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

The name "Old Fashion Biscuits" is misdirecting. Had it been "Vieja Manera
Biscuites" they would have passed without notice. :-)

doc

"William Jennings" wrote in message
Along the Tex-Mex Boarder Plex, old fashion biscuits as described in the
post are often found in panderies beside sweet anise molletes, bolillos,
pumpkin empanaditas and a multitude of exuberantly colored pasteles.

doc

"Dimitri" wrote in message
m...

news:[email protected]

Douglas S. Ladden 07-10-2003 08:18 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "William Jennings"
shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:37:50 GMT:

The name "Old Fashion Biscuits" is misdirecting. Had it been "Vieja
Manera Biscuites" they would have passed without notice. :-)

Not with buttermilk they wouldn't have. I have yet to find
buttermilk in Mexico. Even though I'm fairly sure it can be found
somewhere these days.

--Douglas

Linda 07-10-2003 02:42 PM

Old Fashion Biscuits

"Dimitri" wrote in message
m...

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several
groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.
Try rec.food.cooking or alt.recipes, which are a couple. Honestly "Old
Fashion Biscuites" are somewhat out of place here.

Linda

I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't that
mak'em Mexican?

Dimitri

Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican tho', maybe
add a
spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip :)

Linda

William Jennings 07-10-2003 05:59 PM

Old Fashion Biscuits

Correct, you wouldn't find buttermilk biscuits in Mexico proper. The
buttermilk biscuits I mentioned are found along the boarder land of Tex-Mex.

Buttermilk (jocoque) was hard to find in Mexico when I lived there but today
the H.E.B stores in Northern Mexico
do carry buttermilk. Last time I was in Monterrey I found General Foods
"Cafe Vienna" in the grocery stores. The day
I returned I found canned Goya "Huitacoche" in the grocery store here. Come
to think of it, when I lived in Mexico milk
was hard to find outside the larger cities.... but that was some time ago.

doc

6...

David Wright 07-10-2003 06:22 PM

Old Fashion Biscuits

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:42:46 -0700, "Linda"
wrote:

"Dimitri" wrote in message
om...

I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't that
mak'em Mexican?

Dimitri

Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican tho', maybe
add a
spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip :)

Linda

Don't forget the *guac*!

David

A1 WBarfieldsr 07-10-2003 10:35 PM

Old Fashion Biscuits

"William Jennings" wrote in message
The name "Old Fashion Biscuits" is misdirecting. Had it been "Vieja

Manera
Biscuites" they would have passed without notice. :-)

doc

"William Jennings" wrote in message
Along the Tex-Mex Boarder Plex, old fashion biscuits as described in

the
post are often found in panderies beside sweet anise molletes,

bolillos,
pumpkin empanaditas and a multitude of exuberantly colored pasteles.

doc

"Dimitri" wrote in message
m...

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Look Mr. A1, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there are

several
groups that would be more appropriate for this recipe.

Linda and Dimitri, I'm sure you think you 're speaking for the Millions of
people in Mexico, when you say not one person living in Mexico would ever
make biscuits because the recipe called for buttermilk. I also think you
believe the Mexican people are so stupid that they couldn't think to use
fresh milk or canned milk instead of buttermilk. I even think you believe,
that they don't even make biscuits in Mexico, especially the thousands of
people that have lived in the US and now live in Mexico. I was also
informed in an earlier post that if it is made in Mexico it has to be an
Authentic Mexican dish. As far as you not wanting to be rude or anything, I
believe you know what you were trying to be. If you believe the recipe is
not something you would make then don't make it, KISS. In fact don't even
read it. Pretend it is an advertisement for a Porn flick, unless your into
that kind of thing. I almost would bet not a single Mexican would fry up
some potatoes then throw some chorizo in the skillet with a couple of
chiles and then scramble some eggs with it and pour the eggs over those
biscuits. I guess ice cold milk to wash it down with is totally out of the
question.
--
William Barfieldsr

Linda 07-10-2003 11:00 PM

Old Fashion Biscuits

"David Wright" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:42:46 -0700, "Linda"
wrote:

"Dimitri" wrote in message
om...

I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers - Doesn't

that
mak'em Mexican?

Dimitri

Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican tho',

maybe
add a
spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip :)

Linda

Don't forget the *guac*!

David
\

I almost forgot, how many *guacs* do we need?

Linda

William Jennings 08-10-2003 12:32 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

"A1 WBarfieldsr" wrote in message
.. .

Snip

I guess ice cold milk to wash it down with is totally out of the
question.

Nope, Jose Lopez was the lone mexican who ate that ugly buttermilk biscuit
served in La Pesca, Mexico circa 1986. Laura Esquivel, reported he had it
with "café con leche." :-)

All one needs consider is the amount of homemade cheese we find in Mexico
and the fact Mexicans in the country seldom waste anything. Food is very
regional throughout Mexico. In and around Rio Soto and south to Largo
Catamaco armadillo
tacos were often found in small villages. I got to like them before I found
out what it was. The goat cheese made on those remote ranches near Real de
Catorce I have yet to find anywhere along the boarder.

This reminds me of a gruel I'll never forget from the 70's in El Paso del
Toro, made with chicken broth and corn meal of which I've never seen a
recipe. It was just called _Olla_, just really good chicken broth with
corn meal to thicken. This is great in a thermos on a cold day fishing.

doc :-)

P.S. Anyone reading this post ought to know I was snacking on Wasabi Peas
during the commission of this message.

Douglas S. Ladden 08-10-2003 01:13 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Linda"
shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:00:10 GMT:

"David Wright" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:42:46 -0700, "Linda"
wrote:

"Dimitri" wrote in message
om...

I think you're supposed to add some chopped green peppers -

Doesn't
that
mak'em Mexican?

Dimitri

Maybe, they might be more Mexican if made in Mexico by a Mexican

tho',
maybe
add a
spot of Cheeze Whiz with a Rotel tomato dip :)

Linda

Don't forget the *guac*!

David
\

I almost forgot, how many *guacs* do we need?

I think it depends on whether they are adult *guacs* or baby
*guacs*.

--Douglas

DesertDad 08-10-2003 03:07 AM

Old Fashion Biscuits

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

I agree with Linda,,, I also appreciate those posts where the author has
really made the item and not just clip out of some newspaper because it
looks good.