William Jennings

Default Old Fashion Biscuits

"Linda" > wrote in message
news:ysehb.54651$vj2.50524@fed1read06...
> BTW, get out your Mexican cookbooks, and post a recipe for "old fashion
> biscuits" none of mine (and I
> have quite a few) have a recipe.
>
> Linda

I'll bet those Mexican cookbooks are mostly in English. In other words
transcriptions of Mexican recipes one time removed from the source. Most
Mexicans have never used a cookbook. Mexican cooking is mostly an oral
tradition passed down from chef to apprentice, from mother to daughter. In
Mexico most good cooks will say "the secret is in the hands".

I also have a large collection of cook books I've gathered around the world.
Nothing is better than direct transmission and observation of a recipe
brought to life in full view. The historical vignettes and anecdotes
associated with some recipes may in some small way help a good cook towards
the scents and flavors of an authentic Mexican kitchen.

doc