Carla HaIrCuTTeR

Default old fashion fudge

I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
marshmallows or chocolate chips.
Thanks

zxcvbob

Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:

> I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
> marshmallows or chocolate chips.
> Thanks

It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:

Old Fashioned Fudge
(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
(mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
(110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:

> I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
> marshmallows or chocolate chips.
> Thanks

It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:

Old Fashioned Fudge
(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
(mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
(110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

Best regards,
Bob

Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:55:00 -0600, (Carla HaIrCuTTeR)
wrote:

>I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
>marshmallows or chocolate chips

Yeah, I'm not crazy about those, either. This recipe is goof-proof. I'm a
goof, and I've never made a bad batch of this fudge.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Perfect Cocoa Fudge

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : candies chocolate

3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds -- if desired

Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
Butter foil.

Mix sugar, milk, cocoa, and salt in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Heat and
stir until cocoa and sugar are dissolved, moving wooden spoon around
bottom of pan in quick, small circles, so as not to splash sugar crystals
on sides of pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, for approximately 10
minutes, until mixture reaches 234°F on candy thermometer or to Soft-Ball
Stage (At this temperature, sugar syrup dropped into cold water will form a
soft, flexible ball. If you remove the ball from water, it will flatten
like a pancake after a few moments in your hand.).

Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.
(If desired, stir in 1 cup chopped nuts.) Quickly spread into prepared
pan; cool completely. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in tightly covered
container at room temperature.

NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe.

Source:
"Adapted from a recipe by Hershey's"
Yield:
"1 3/4 pounds"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 86 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 1g
Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 5mg Cholesterol; 26mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Soft-Ball Stage description courtesy of The Accidental Scientist:
(
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...ar-stages.html)

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
>marshmallows or chocolate chips

Yeah, I'm not crazy about those, either. This recipe is goof-proof. I'm a
goof, and I've never made a bad batch of this fudge.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Perfect Cocoa Fudge

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : candies chocolate

3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds -- if desired

Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
Butter foil.

Mix sugar, milk, cocoa, and salt in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Heat and
stir until cocoa and sugar are dissolved, moving wooden spoon around
bottom of pan in quick, small circles, so as not to splash sugar crystals
on sides of pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, for approximately 10
minutes, until mixture reaches 234°F on candy thermometer or to Soft-Ball
Stage (At this temperature, sugar syrup dropped into cold water will form a
soft, flexible ball. If you remove the ball from water, it will flatten
like a pancake after a few moments in your hand.).

Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.
(If desired, stir in 1 cup chopped nuts.) Quickly spread into prepared
pan; cool completely. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in tightly covered
container at room temperature.

NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe.

Source:
"Adapted from a recipe by Hershey's"
Yield:
"1 3/4 pounds"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 86 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 1g
Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 5mg Cholesterol; 26mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Soft-Ball Stage description courtesy of The Accidental Scientist:
(
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...ar-stages.html)

Carol

Scott

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
> temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
> with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
> color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
> temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
> with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
> color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
> temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
> with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
> color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Scott

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate.

To add to the issue.... I've made Alton Brown's version a few times, and
it's turned out VERY well:

Chocolate Fudge

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 64 (1-inch) pieces
User Rating:*

2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan,
combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter,
half-and-half, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, stir with a wooden
spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3
minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot.
Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and
add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10
minutes or until it drops to 110 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if
desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte.
Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut
into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate.

To add to the issue.... I've made Alton Brown's version a few times, and
it's turned out VERY well:

Chocolate Fudge

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 64 (1-inch) pieces
User Rating:*

2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan,
combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter,
half-and-half, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, stir with a wooden
spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3
minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot.
Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and
add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10
minutes or until it drops to 110 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if
desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte.
Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut
into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate.

To add to the issue.... I've made Alton Brown's version a few times, and
it's turned out VERY well:

Chocolate Fudge

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 64 (1-inch) pieces
User Rating:*

2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan,
combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter,
half-and-half, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, stir with a wooden
spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3
minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot.
Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and
add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10
minutes or until it drops to 110 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if
desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte.
Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut
into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:21:12 -0500, Scott >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
>> temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
>> with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
>> color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

>If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
>the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
>to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

Excellent point. Thanks!

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
>> temperature to 110°F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
>> with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
>> color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

>If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
>the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
>to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

Excellent point. Thanks!

Carol

Nancy Dooley

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:
>
> > I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
> > marshmallows or chocolate chips.
> > Thanks
> >

> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
> I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:
>
> Old Fashioned Fudge
> (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
>
> 2 cups sugar
> 3/4 cup milk
> 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
> 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
>
> Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
> chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
> until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
> 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
> (mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
> heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
> (110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
> for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
>
> Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
> squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.

N.
Nancy Dooley

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:
>
> > I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
> > marshmallows or chocolate chips.
> > Thanks
> >

> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
> I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:
>
> Old Fashioned Fudge
> (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
>
> 2 cups sugar
> 3/4 cup milk
> 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
> 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
>
> Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
> chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
> until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
> 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
> (mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
> heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
> (110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
> for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
>
> Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
> squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.

N.
Kate Connally

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> > Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:
> >
> > > I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
> > > marshmallows or chocolate chips.
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> > with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
> > I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:
> >
> > Old Fashioned Fudge
> > (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
> >
> > 2 cups sugar
> > 3/4 cup milk
> > 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
> > 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
> > 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla
> > 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
> >
> > Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
> > chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
> > until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
> > 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
> > (mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
> > heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
> > (110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
> > for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
> >
> > Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
> > squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.
>
> N.

Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in
it. Fudge is a subset of fondant. It should not
be chewy, which is what you get when you add corn
syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these
days is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and
am tempted to buy it I have to ask if there's corn
syrup in it. If so I won't buy it. Probably just
as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good,
old-fashioned stuff is tricky to make and also a lot
of work, what with all the beating it requires to
make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup,
butter, and cream. It's like my "holy grail" of
fudge.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> > Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:
> >
> > > I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
> > > marshmallows or chocolate chips.
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> > with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
> > I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:
> >
> > Old Fashioned Fudge
> > (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
> >
> > 2 cups sugar
> > 3/4 cup milk
> > 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
> > 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
> > 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla
> > 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
> >
> > Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
> > chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
> > until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
> > 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
> > (mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
> > heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
> > (110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
> > for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
> >
> > Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
> > squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.
>
> N.

Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in
it. Fudge is a subset of fondant. It should not
be chewy, which is what you get when you add corn
syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these
days is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and
am tempted to buy it I have to ask if there's corn
syrup in it. If so I won't buy it. Probably just
as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good,
old-fashioned stuff is tricky to make and also a lot
of work, what with all the beating it requires to
make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup,
butter, and cream. It's like my "holy grail" of
fudge.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

zxcvbob

Kate Connally wrote:
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob > wrote in message

>>> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to
>>> make it with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using
>>> chocolate. =(8-O I used to make this every year to give my
>>> Grandma for Christmas:
>>>
>>> Old Fashioned Fudge (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
>>>
>>> 2 cups sugar 3/4 cup milk 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened
>>> chocolate, cut up 1 teaspoon light corn syrup 2 tablespoons
>>> butter or margarine 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
>>> nuts
>>>
>>> Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar,
>>> milk, chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over
>>> medium heat until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil.
>>> Continue cooking to 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as
>>> needed to prevent sticking (mixture should boil gently over
>>> entire surface) Immediately remove from heat; add butter but do
>>> not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm (110ºF), for 30 to
>>> 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously for 7 to 10
>>> minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
>>>
>>> Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score
>>> into squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
>>>

>>> Best regards, Bob

>> This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned
>> fudge.
>>
>> N.

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
> of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
> add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
> is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
> it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
> is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
> it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
> cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge. Kate

Did you notice how little corn syrup the recipe has?
If you don't add a tiny bit of corn syrup, you have to add vinegar or
cream of tarter to retard crystalization. I think they work by
catalyzing the conversion of the sucrose into glucose and fructose. The
process is called "inversion".

Bob

zxcvbob

Kate Connally wrote:
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob > wrote in message

>>> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to
>>> make it with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using
>>> chocolate. =(8-O I used to make this every year to give my
>>> Grandma for Christmas:
>>>
>>> Old Fashioned Fudge (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
>>>
>>> 2 cups sugar 3/4 cup milk 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened
>>> chocolate, cut up 1 teaspoon light corn syrup 2 tablespoons
>>> butter or margarine 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
>>> nuts
>>>
>>> Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar,
>>> milk, chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over
>>> medium heat until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil.
>>> Continue cooking to 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as
>>> needed to prevent sticking (mixture should boil gently over
>>> entire surface) Immediately remove from heat; add butter but do
>>> not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm (110ºF), for 30 to
>>> 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously for 7 to 10
>>> minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
>>>
>>> Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score
>>> into squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
>>>

>>> Best regards, Bob

>> This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned
>> fudge.
>>
>> N.

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
> of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
> add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
> is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
> it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
> is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
> it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
> cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge. Kate

Did you notice how little corn syrup the recipe has?
If you don't add a tiny bit of corn syrup, you have to add vinegar or
cream of tarter to retard crystalization. I think they work by
catalyzing the conversion of the sucrose into glucose and fructose. The
process is called "inversion".

Bob
zxcvbob

Kate Connally wrote:
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob > wrote in message

>>> It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to
>>> make it with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using
>>> chocolate. =(8-O I used to make this every year to give my
>>> Grandma for Christmas:
>>>
>>> Old Fashioned Fudge (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
>>>
>>> 2 cups sugar 3/4 cup milk 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened
>>> chocolate, cut up 1 teaspoon light corn syrup 2 tablespoons
>>> butter or margarine 1 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup coarsely chopped
>>> nuts
>>>
>>> Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar,
>>> milk, chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over
>>> medium heat until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil.
>>> Continue cooking to 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as
>>> needed to prevent sticking (mixture should boil gently over
>>> entire surface) Immediately remove from heat; add butter but do
>>> not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm (110ºF), for 30 to
>>> 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously for 7 to 10
>>> minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
>>>
>>> Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score
>>> into squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
>>>

>>> Best regards, Bob

>> This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned
>> fudge.
>>
>> N.

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
> of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
> add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
> is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
> it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
> is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
> it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
> cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge. Kate

Did you notice how little corn syrup the recipe has?
If you don't add a tiny bit of corn syrup, you have to add vinegar or
cream of tarter to retard crystalization. I think they work by
catalyzing the conversion of the sucrose into glucose and fructose. The
process is called "inversion".

Bob
Scott

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
> of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
> add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
> is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
> it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
> is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
> it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
> cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge.

The fudge I make has a single tablespoon of corn syrup added (to prevent
(crystallization) and it's not chewy.

I'm not a maple fudge fan, though--I think it crosses the line into too
sweet.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
> of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
> add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
> is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
> it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
> is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
> it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
> cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge.

The fudge I make has a single tablespoon of corn syrup added (to prevent
(crystallization) and it's not chewy.

I'm not a maple fudge fan, though--I think it crosses the line into too
sweet.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
> of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
> add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
> is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
> it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
> is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
> it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
> cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge.

The fudge I make has a single tablespoon of corn syrup added (to prevent
(crystallization) and it's not chewy.

I'm not a maple fudge fan, though--I think it crosses the line into too
sweet.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

zxcvbob

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Kate Connally > wrote:
>

>>Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
>>of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
>>add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
>>is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
>>it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
>> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
>>So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
>>is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
>>it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
>>a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
>>cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge.

> The fudge I make has a single tablespoon of corn syrup added (to prevent
> (crystallization) and it's not chewy.
>
> I'm not a maple fudge fan, though--I think it crosses the line into too
> sweet.

Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy it, I have to ask if there's
maple syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Kate Connally > wrote:
>

>>Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
>>of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
>>add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
>>is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
>>it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
>> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
>>So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
>>is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
>>it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
>>a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
>>cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge.

> The fudge I make has a single tablespoon of corn syrup added (to prevent
> (crystallization) and it's not chewy.
>
> I'm not a maple fudge fan, though--I think it crosses the line into too
> sweet.

Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy it, I have to ask if there's
maple syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Kate Connally > wrote:
>

>>Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
>>of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
>>add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
>>is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
>>it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
>> Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
>>So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
>>is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
>>it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
>>a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
>>cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge.

> The fudge I make has a single tablespoon of corn syrup added (to prevent
> (crystallization) and it's not chewy.
>
> I'm not a maple fudge fan, though--I think it crosses the line into too
> sweet.

Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy it, I have to ask if there's
maple syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.

Best regards,
Bob
Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy it, I have to ask if there's
> maple syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.

I have no idea why maple syrup is so good on pancakes and waffles,
but hand me a piece of maple candy and I'll hand it back.

nancy
Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy it, I have to ask if there's
> maple syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.

I have no idea why maple syrup is so good on pancakes and waffles,
but hand me a piece of maple candy and I'll hand it back.

nancy

Nancy Young

zxcvbob wrote:

> Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy it, I have to ask if there's
> maple syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.

I have no idea why maple syrup is so good on pancakes and waffles,
but hand me a piece of maple candy and I'll hand it back.

nancy
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:43:26 -0500, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>I have no idea why maple syrup is so good on pancakes and waffles,
>but hand me a piece of maple candy and I'll hand it back.

I don't hand it back, I *throw* it back. ICK!

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>I have no idea why maple syrup is so good on pancakes and waffles,
>but hand me a piece of maple candy and I'll hand it back.

I don't hand it back, I *throw* it back. ICK!

Carol

Carla HaIrCuTTeR

Thanks to the responses, of the recipe for the fudge!!!!
I cant wait to try them.
I just poured out a batch that was runny from last night.....before i
wrote to you.
Thank-you Carla

Nancy Dooley

Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
> >
> > zxcvbob > wrote in message > > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Bob

> > This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.
> >
> > N.

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in
> it. Fudge is a subset of fondant. It should not
> be chewy, which is what you get when you add corn
> syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these
> days is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and
> am tempted to buy it I have to ask if there's corn
> syrup in it. If so I won't buy it. Probably just
> as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good,
> old-fashioned stuff is tricky to make and also a lot
> of work, what with all the beating it requires to
> make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup,
> butter, and cream. It's like my "holy grail" of
> fudge.
> Kate

I have never, never, never had "chewy" old-fashioned fudge. Make this
recipe and then tell us it's chewy. Plus, it is no more tricky to
make than a lot of other things you probably make, and it isn't "a lot
of work," in my book. Ah, well, each to own and all that. ;-)

N.
Nancy Dooley

Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> Nancy Dooley wrote:
> >
> > zxcvbob > wrote in message > > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Bob

> > This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.
> >
> > N.

> Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in
> it. Fudge is a subset of fondant. It should not
> be chewy, which is what you get when you add corn
> syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these
> days is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and
> am tempted to buy it I have to ask if there's corn
> syrup in it. If so I won't buy it. Probably just
> as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good,
> old-fashioned stuff is tricky to make and also a lot
> of work, what with all the beating it requires to
> make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup,
> butter, and cream. It's like my "holy grail" of
> fudge.
> Kate

I have never, never, never had "chewy" old-fashioned fudge. Make this
recipe and then tell us it's chewy. Plus, it is no more tricky to
make than a lot of other things you probably make, and it isn't "a lot
of work," in my book. Ah, well, each to own and all that. ;-)

N.
Kate Connally

zxcvbob wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
> > Nancy Dooley wrote:

> >> This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned
> >> fudge.
> >>
> >> N.

> > Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in it. Fudge is a subset
> > of fondant. It should not be chewy, which is what you get when you
> > add corn syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these days
> > is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and am tempted to buy
> > it I have to ask if there's corn syrup in it. If so I won't buy it.
> > Probably just as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> > So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good, old-fashioned stuff
> > is tricky to make and also a lot of work, what with all the beating
> > it requires to make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> > a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup, butter, and
> > cream. It's like my "holy grail" of fudge. Kate

> Did you notice how little corn syrup the recipe has?
> If you don't add a tiny bit of corn syrup, you have to add vinegar or
> cream of tarter to retard crystalization. I think they work by
> catalyzing the conversion of the sucrose into glucose and fructose. The
> process is called "inversion".

I don't recall if there was cream of tartar in the chocolate
fudge recipe my grandmother used to make, but it definitely
didn't have any corn syrup. And if you look in old candy
cookbooks from the 40's and such you don't see corn syrup in
any of the fudge recipes. I don't know how much corn syrup
it would take to make it too chewy (my own personal definition
of chewy - not chewy like caramels, but chewy compared to
a true cooked fondant which just melts in your mouth) but I
suppose it possible that a tiny amount might not make it "chewy".
It's not that fudges with corn syrup in don't taste good, I
just don't like the texture. And it's a lazy way to make
fudge. If you really make it the old-fashioned way then you
have to get it to just the right thread stage and then
beat it to just the right temp and texture or it will either
be runny or it will crystalize. Corn syrup makes it almost
foolproof but changes the texture, for the worse imo.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> > Nancy Dooley wrote:

> > > This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.
> > >
> > > N.

> > Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in
> > it. Fudge is a subset of fondant. It should not
> > be chewy, which is what you get when you add corn
> > syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these
> > days is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and
> > am tempted to buy it I have to ask if there's corn
> > syrup in it. If so I won't buy it. Probably just
> > as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
> > So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good,
> > old-fashioned stuff is tricky to make and also a lot
> > of work, what with all the beating it requires to
> > make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
> > a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup,
> > butter, and cream. It's like my "holy grail" of
> > fudge.
> > Kate

> I have never, never, never had "chewy" old-fashioned fudge.

Maybe my definition of "chewy" is not the same as yours.
It's not chewy like caramels, but it's not melt in your
mouth like fondant. It needs to be chewed a little rather
than just mushed against the roof of your mouth to make it
dissolve. Does that make any sense. It's hard to describe.

> Make this
> recipe and then tell us it's chewy.

Maybe I'll try it over Xmas. We'll see. Too bad I don't have
a Kitchenaid mixer to beat it with as my arms always get too
tired before the fudge it sufficiently beaten and it always
crystalizes on me. That's why I don't make fudge, I buy it.

Now some kinds of fudge are easier to make than others.
I've never had trouble with penuche or peanut butter
fudge, even opera creams, but chocolate fudge has always
been a disaster for me. My grandmother made it all the time
and it was always perfect. I guess she worked out and lifted
weights or something. ;-)

> Plus, it is no more tricky to
> make than a lot of other things you probably make, and it isn't "a lot
> of work," in my book. Ah, well, each to own and all that. ;-)

Maybe you work out and lift weights, too? ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Usenet going out of fashion Krypsis General Cooking 19 29-11-2011 01:49 AM
Old Fashion Cooking weaver615 General Cooking 2 23-05-2008 06:21 PM
Pillsbury Old Fashion Recipe help [email protected] General Cooking 3 30-03-2005 08:44 PM
Old Fashion Biscuits A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 33 10-10-2003 07:16 PM
Old Fashion Hot Chocolate A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:34 PM