Old 15-11-2004, 04:55 AM
Carla HaIrCuTTeR

Default old fashion fudge

I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
marshmallows or chocolate chips.
Thanks

Old 15-11-2004, 05:48 AM
zxcvbob

Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:

I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
marshmallows or chocolate chips.
Thanks

It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:

Old Fashioned Fudge
(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
234F (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
(mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
(110F), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 15-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:55:00 -0600, (Carla HaIrCuTTeR)
wrote:

I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
marshmallows or chocolate chips

Yeah, I'm not crazy about those, either. This recipe is goof-proof. I'm a
goof, and I've never made a bad batch of this fudge.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Perfect Cocoa Fudge

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : candies chocolate

3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds -- if desired

Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
Butter foil.

Mix sugar, milk, cocoa, and salt in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Heat and
stir until cocoa and sugar are dissolved, moving wooden spoon around
bottom of pan in quick, small circles, so as not to splash sugar crystals
on sides of pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, for approximately 10
minutes, until mixture reaches 234F on candy thermometer or to Soft-Ball
Stage (At this temperature, sugar syrup dropped into cold water will form a
soft, flexible ball. If you remove the ball from water, it will flatten
like a pancake after a few moments in your hand.).

Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
temperature to 110F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.
(If desired, stir in 1 cup chopped nuts.) Quickly spread into prepared
pan; cool completely. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in tightly covered
container at room temperature.

NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe.

Source:
"Adapted from a recipe by Hershey's"
Yield:
"1 3/4 pounds"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 86 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 1g
Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 5mg Cholesterol; 26mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Soft-Ball Stage description courtesy of The Accidental Scientist:
(
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...ar-stages.html)

Carol

Old 15-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Scott

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
temperature to 110F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/

Old 15-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Scott

zxcvbob wrote:

It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate.

To add to the issue.... I've made Alton Brown's version a few times, and
it's turned out VERY well:

Chocolate Fudge

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 64 (1-inch) pieces
User Rating:*

2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan,
combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter,
half-and-half, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, stir with a wooden
spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3
minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot.
Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and
add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10
minutes or until it drops to 110 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if
desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte.
Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut
into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Old 15-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:21:12 -0500, Scott

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
temperature to 110F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

Excellent point. Thanks!

Carol

Old 15-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Damsel in dis Dress

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room
temperature to 110F (about one hour - pan will be warm to the touch). Beat
with electric mixer until fudge thickens, becomes slightly lighter in
color, and begins to hold the "wave" patterns made by the electric mixer.

If I may suggest... add the vanilla last, when you beat the fudge with
the mixer. I would think you'd lose aroma/flavor by adding the vanilla
to the hot fudge and letting it stand for an hour.

Excellent point. Thanks!

Carol

Usenet going out of fashion Krypsis General Cooking 19 29-11-2011 01:49 AM
Old Fashion Cooking weaver615 General Cooking 2 23-05-2008 06:21 PM
Pillsbury Old Fashion Recipe help [email protected] General Cooking 3 30-03-2005 08:44 PM
Old Fashion Biscuits A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 33 10-10-2003 07:16 PM
Old Fashion Hot Chocolate A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 0 09-10-2003 10:34 PM