Old 04-08-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Burning around the edges

Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I
doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

laurie

Old 04-08-2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I
doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

laurie

Have you checked the temp with an oven thermometer?

Old 04-08-2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"laurie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Have you checked the temp with an oven thermometer?

Not with this oven, no, but nothing else burns- not cookies or roasts or
anything else- so I hate to adjust the temp if I don't have to. Do you think
that is the problem?

laurie

Old 04-08-2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in message
news[email protected]

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"laurie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Have you checked the temp with an oven thermometer?

Not with this oven, no, but nothing else burns- not cookies or roasts or
anything else- so I hate to adjust the temp if I don't have to. Do you
think that is the problem?

laurie

I don't know, but it's the first thing I'd check, and an oven thermometer's
a good thing to have. How much trouble would it be to adjust the temp if
necessary? A push of a button?

Is absolutely everything else equal to your previous method with the old
oven? Exact same recipe? Exact same ingredients? Same position for the oven
rack? Exactly the same pan that produced successful results before?

Old 04-08-2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I
doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

How thick are those glass or metal pans? Burning around the edges
before the center is baked means the temperature is hotter there--
uneven heat. This will happen in a small oven where it gets hotter
around the walls or any situation where the heat isn't circulating. But
instead of trying to solve the problem with the oven itself, the easiest
solution is usually a nice thick pan that distrubutes the heat. Quicker
still (not optimum but something you can try right away), make flatter
brownies. Use the same amount of batter, and put it in 2 pans. Take
the brownies out of the oven the moment the center is done.

--Lia

Old 04-08-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I
doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

laurie

I know this may sound simple, but is the the batter/mix spread evenly in the
pan and the same depth in all four corners? If it is, is the stove itself
level?
-ginny

Old 04-08-2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"laurie" wrote in message
news[email protected]

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Not with this oven, no, but nothing else burns- not cookies or roasts or
anything else- so I hate to adjust the temp if I don't have to. Do you
think that is the problem?

laurie

I don't know, but it's the first thing I'd check, and an oven
thermometer's a good thing to have. How much trouble would it be to adjust
the temp if necessary? A push of a button?

I do have an oven thermometer, actually, as my last oven was very
inaccurate. It's no trouble to adjust the temp at all- I just meant that
then I'd have to adapt to the new temps for all the other things I cook, and
*I'm* not that adaptable.

Is absolutely everything else equal to your previous method with the old
oven? Exact same recipe? Exact same ingredients? Same position for the
oven rack? Exactly the same pan that produced successful results before?

Same recipe, same pan, maybe not the same rack. I'll try that.

laurie

Old 04-08-2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article [email protected], "laurie"
wrote:

Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I
doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

laurie

Why do you care? :-)

IMHO those crispy edges are the best part!!!!!!

Seriously tho', what kind of pans are you using?
I found that that problem was worse in metal than in glass.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 04-08-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..

How thick are those glass or metal pans? Burning around the edges before
the center is baked means the temperature is hotter there--
uneven heat. This will happen in a small oven where it gets hotter around
the walls or any situation where the heat isn't circulating. But instead
of trying to solve the problem with the oven itself, the easiest solution
is usually a nice thick pan that distrubutes the heat. Quicker still (not
optimum but something you can try right away), make flatter brownies. Use
the same amount of batter, and put it in 2 pans. Take the brownies out of
the oven the moment the center is done.

--Lia

I have one of those Chicago brand metal pans, which I thought were supposed
to be fairly decent, and the glass ones are just your typical Pyrex.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try what you suggested.

laurie

Old 04-08-2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote in message

I know this may sound simple, but is the the batter/mix spread evenly in
the
pan and the same depth in all four corners? If it is, is the stove itself
level?
-ginny

Well sometimes it's those simple things that get you! I'll pay more
attention to the things you mentioned. Thanks.

laurie

Old 04-08-2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jacqui{JB} wrote:
Is your new oven a convection oven -- in other words, does it have a fan in
it? If it does, you need to drop the temperature about 25 degrees (F), and
reduce cooking time 10-15%. It takes a while to get used to -- I've had a
convection oven for the last six years and baked goods are still a
challenge.

-j

I would never buy a convection oven. They cook too fast. Things like
cakes and quickbreads don't have enough time to rise before the crust
is browned.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jacqui{JB}" wrote in message
. dk...
"laurie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"[S]eems to be right on temperature" isn't the same as *is* on
temperature.
You need to get a thermometer and check the temp, plus notice how much the
temperature fluctuates between the elements coming on again to keep the
temperature roughly correct.

Is your new oven a convection oven -- in other words, does it have a fan
in
it? If it does, you need to drop the temperature about 25 degrees (F),
and
reduce cooking time 10-15%. It takes a while to get used to -- I've had a
convection oven for the last six years and baked goods are still a
challenge.

Nah, it's just a standard electric oven. Yesterday I took the magic bars
out 5 minutes early (fairly significant when they're only supposed to cook
for 25 min.), when the center was still sticky looking, and the edges are
burned. It still seems like the center could have been cooked a bit more
(though they're edible). The brownie recipe I tried last week actually was
a new recipe, one with butter melting with the sugar on the stove first,
maybe that had something to do with it. I've never made brownies that way
before. But even my old standby recipe (aka Betty Crocker) has been
burning around the edges. I'll break out the oven thermometer and check the
temp. Thanks.

laurie

-j

Old 04-08-2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

.

Why do you care? :-)

IMHO those crispy edges are the best part!!!!!!

Seriously tho', what kind of pans are you using?
I found that that problem was worse in metal than in glass.
--
Peace!
Om

Really? I don't care for the burned edges. See my previous post about the
pan. Thanks.

laurie

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 04-08-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

.

Why do you care? :-)

IMHO those crispy edges are the best part!!!!!!

Seriously tho', what kind of pans are you using?
I found that that problem was worse in metal than in glass.
--
Peace!
Om

Really? I don't care for the burned edges. See my previous post about the
pan. Thanks.

laurie

Yes, I re-read it and noted that you had tried both types of pans.

Hmmmmm... perhaps the suggestion about flatter brownies would be the
best one. Or try tenting the edges like one would a pie crust?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 04-08-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"laurie" wrote in message
news[email protected]

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Not with this oven, no, but nothing else burns- not cookies or roasts or
anything else- so I hate to adjust the temp if I don't have to. Do you
think that is the problem?

laurie

I don't know, but it's the first thing I'd check, and an oven
thermometer's a good thing to have. How much trouble would it be to
adjust the temp if necessary? A push of a button?

I do have an oven thermometer, actually, as my last oven was very
inaccurate. It's no trouble to adjust the temp at all- I just meant that
then I'd have to adapt to the new temps for all the other things I cook,
and *I'm* not that adaptable.

For many things, the temp doesn't matter that much. You cook them until
they're done, a vary the time, leaving the temp where it is. But, for baked
goods, the temp CAN be important.

Is absolutely everything else equal to your previous method with the old
oven? Exact same recipe? Exact same ingredients? Same position for the
oven rack? Exactly the same pan that produced successful results before?

Same recipe, same pan, maybe not the same rack. I'll try that.

laurie

Another issue to experiment with: Flour settles during shipment and storage,
like cereal. So, if you open a new bag and scoop out an exact cup, it will
have a certain weight. If you poured that same bag of flour into a big
container and immediately scooped out a cup, it would be lighter than the
first cup. Come back to the container in a month and it will have settled.
Now, a measured cup would have yet a different weight.

A friend who's a pro chef explained this to me, and said that if the recipe
is one which he knows to be "sensitive", he'll always measure flour by
weight, not by volume.

Keep the candles burning Debbie[_1_] General Cooking 1 22-12-2008 12:37 AM
burning fat am Preserving 0 08-09-2008 09:10 AM
burning fat am Marketplace 0 08-09-2008 09:10 AM
burning fat am Sushi 0 08-09-2008 09:08 AM