Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Burning around the edges

laurie wrote:
> Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
> the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
> never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I
> doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
> else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

How thick are those glass or metal pans? Burning around the edges
before the center is baked means the temperature is hotter there--
uneven heat. This will happen in a small oven where it gets hotter
around the walls or any situation where the heat isn't circulating. But
instead of trying to solve the problem with the oven itself, the easiest
solution is usually a nice thick pan that distrubutes the heat. Quicker
still (not optimum but something you can try right away), make flatter
brownies. Use the same amount of batter, and put it in 2 pans. Take
the brownies out of the oven the moment the center is done.

--Lia