Posted to rec.food.cooking
laurie laurie is offline

Default Burning around the edges

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
. dk...
> "laurie" > wrote in message
>
> "[S]eems to be right on temperature" isn't the same as *is* on
> temperature.
> You need to get a thermometer and check the temp, plus notice how much the
> temperature fluctuates between the elements coming on again to keep the
> temperature roughly correct.
>
> Is your new oven a convection oven -- in other words, does it have a fan
> in
> it? If it does, you need to drop the temperature about 25 degrees (F),
> and
> reduce cooking time 10-15%. It takes a while to get used to -- I've had a
> convection oven for the last six years and baked goods are still a
> challenge.

Nah, it's just a standard electric oven. Yesterday I took the magic bars
out 5 minutes early (fairly significant when they're only supposed to cook
for 25 min.), when the center was still sticky looking, and the edges are
burned. It still seems like the center could have been cooked a bit more
(though they're edible). The brownie recipe I tried last week actually was
a new recipe, one with butter melting with the sugar on the stove first,
maybe that had something to do with it. I've never made brownies that way
before. But even my old standby recipe (aka Betty Crocker) has been
burning around the edges. I'll break out the oven thermometer and check the
temp. Thanks.

laurie