Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default Burning around the edges

"laurie" > wrote in message news:5XJAg.7$Fl2.6@trndny01...
> Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around the edges
> (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies never did). I've
> tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I doing wrong? The oven
> seems to be right on temperature with everything else, so I don't think it's a
> temperature issue.
>
> laurie

Have you checked the temperature with a thermometer? What type of oven is it?
Conventional or convection? What type of pans are you using? Are they light or
nonstick (the metal ones)? How much room is there around them?

I've never noticed a huge difference when making alot of things, but with brownies,
there is a huge difference between using light pans, and dark or nonstick pans. If
your pans are dark or nonstick, try decreasing the temp and adjusting the cooking
time to accommodate the change. It also can vary according to recipe. I made several
batches of brownies for a bake sale, and there was one recipe, no matter what I did,
it would not cook in the center before the outside was hard as a rock. I changed the
recipe and that solved that.

Also when spreading the batter in the pan, make it so there is a slight indentation
in the center. It will even out for the most part during the baking, but it seems to
help the center get a little bit of a headstart.

Get an oven thermometer and check the temperature on your oven. Even a 10 degree
difference can matter. Make sure it's at the proper temperature before putting the
brownies in. Make sure your ingredients are the same (room) temp. Don't over-mix the
batter. Use light (colored), uncoated, medium to heavy weight pans, and you can line
the edges in foil or use those cake strips around the sides of the pan in the last 15
min or so.

Hope this helps.

kimberly