Old 20-05-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Reconstituted dried tofu:better than the real thing

Today, I used dried tofu for the first time. Soaked in cold water for a few
hours (the package said to do this for at elast 10 mins). I found it
continued to grow slowly over those hours.

Cubed it. It was firmer than regular tofu. Mmore spongy, too.And the taste
was extremely bland. It was still drier than regular fresh tofu.

Simmered it in a Thai-style coconut sauce (coconut milk, carrots, green
curry paste, lemon juice, dried tangerine skin, kaffir lime leaves, fish
sauce, lemon grass. Browned sauteed nions plus spring onios added towards
then end, then sprinkeled with coriander leaves).

It was wonderful. Much tastier than regular tofu: more bite, and it had
absorbed the flafvors better, too. I think this is a keeper, even it costs
mroe than the fresh stuff. Easy to keep in the pantry, too.

Old 20-05-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
Today, I used dried tofu for the first time. Soaked in cold water for a few
hours (the package said to do this for at elast 10 mins). I found it
continued to grow slowly over those hours.

Cubed it. It was firmer than regular tofu. Mmore spongy, too.And the taste
was extremely bland. It was still drier than regular fresh tofu.

Simmered it in a Thai-style coconut sauce (coconut milk, carrots, green
curry paste, lemon juice, dried tangerine skin, kaffir lime leaves, fish
sauce, lemon grass. Browned sauteed nions plus spring onios added towards
then end, then sprinkeled with coriander leaves).

It was wonderful. Much tastier than regular tofu: more bite, and it had
absorbed the flafvors better, too. I think this is a keeper, even it costs
mroe than the fresh stuff. Easy to keep in the pantry, too.

Did the instruction for reconstituting it say anything about using
stock or flavoring agents while it soaks? That would seem to me to be
a great way to "marinate" the tofu.

maxine in ri

Old 20-05-2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Did the instruction for reconstituting it say anything about using
stock or flavoring agents while it soaks? That would seem to me to be
a great way to "marinate" the tofu.

It didn't specify that. But I think it's a great idea.

maxine in ri

Old 20-05-2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
Today, I used dried tofu for the first time. Soaked in cold water for a few
hours (the package said to do this for at elast 10 mins). I found it
continued to grow slowly over those hours.

Cubed it. It was firmer than regular tofu. Mmore spongy, too.And the taste
was extremely bland. It was still drier than regular fresh tofu.

Simmered it in a Thai-style coconut sauce (coconut milk, carrots, green
curry paste, lemon juice, dried tangerine skin, kaffir lime leaves, fish
sauce, lemon grass. Browned sauteed nions plus spring onios added towards
then end, then sprinkeled with coriander leaves).

It was wonderful. Much tastier than regular tofu: more bite, and it had
absorbed the flafvors better, too. I think this is a keeper, even it costs
mroe than the fresh stuff. Easy to keep in the pantry, too.

I don't know about better than the real thing but this sure sounds like
a great product for breast implants... hey, you can choose your own
firmness and tofu is safe... I just wonder if La Leche League will
approve of your Thai flavored soy milk.

Sheldon

Old 20-05-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

I don't know about better than the real thing but this sure sounds like
a great product for breast implants... hey, you can choose your own
firmness and tofu is safe...

Yeah... but it's biodegradeable.

I just wonder if La Leche League will
approve of your Thai flavored soy milk.

It didn't taste like soy milk at all. If that reassures you The soaking
water still tasted like water, too.

Sheldon

Old 20-05-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

Did the instruction for reconstituting it say anything about using
stock or flavoring agents while it soaks? That would seem to me to be
a great way to "marinate" the tofu.

It didn't specify that. But I think it's a great idea.

maxine in ri

I missed the original post on this...
Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

tia
--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 21-05-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

I missed the original post on this...
Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

tia

Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
nastiest smells ever.

A good solution if you want to keep tofu on hand is to buy the one that
is packed in a "tetra pak". There is very little water and no air
voids. The brand I usually get is made by "Mori-Nu".

http://www.morinu.com/
Old 21-05-2006, 04:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
The Bubbo wrote:

I missed the original post on this...
Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of

reconstituting
it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

tia

Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
nastiest smells ever.

A good solution if you want to keep tofu on hand is to buy the one that
is packed in a "tetra pak". There is very little water and no air
voids. The brand I usually get is made by "Mori-Nu".

http://www.morinu.com/

how does the stuff in the tetra-pak compare to the stuff in the tub in terms
of texture and consistency? can I press and fry it?

Old 21-05-2006, 10:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

I missed the original post on this...
Where do you get dried tofu?

I vought mine in an organic store that has a Japanese section (in The
Netherlands). I will look out for it next time I'm a Chinese shop. This was
the first time I had ever seen it.

That probably doesn't help you in your part of the world?

I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

The prepackages stuff ehre lasts about a 2-3 weeks, I think.Unopened. I
rarely use up a whole block in one go and don't like it so much that I find
it easy to use up the rest. So I understand your problem with the fresh
stuff.
It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace that
water regularly.

tia

Old 21-05-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace that
water regularly.

Never tried salt....I've always used straight tap water/ Does the salt
help preserve it? Does it give it a strong salty flavor?

Old 21-05-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
nastiest smells ever.

A good solution if you want to keep tofu on hand is to buy the one that
is packed in a "tetra pak". There is very little water and no air
voids. The brand I usually get is made by "Mori-Nu".

http://www.morinu.com/

how does the stuff in the tetra-pak compare to the stuff in the tub in terms
of texture and consistency? can I press and fry it?

Exactly the same. It comes in all of the textures from soft to extra
firm. The nice part is that tetra-pak is not a "space food" method with
lots of preservatives. It is simply an aseptic packaging method with no
air voids. I would see it in the Japanese market but never bought it
because I thought it was "space food". A Japanese friend said that is
what they buy and the box doesn't list anything except tofu and you
can't notice any difference.
Old 21-05-2006, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

Exactly the same. It comes in all of the textures from soft to extra
firm. The nice part is that tetra-pak is not a "space food" method with
lots of preservatives. It is simply an aseptic packaging method with no
air voids. I would see it in the Japanese market but never bought it
because I thought it was "space food". A Japanese friend said that is
what they buy and the box doesn't list anything except tofu and you
can't notice any difference.

okay thanks. I was always afraid it was mushier since all the recipes were for
blending in to things.

I'll pick some up just to have on hand (and quietly listen to my lecture about
tetrapaks aren't recyclable...)

Old 21-05-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

I missed the original post on this...
Where do you get dried tofu?

I vought mine in an organic store that has a Japanese section (in The
Netherlands). I will look out for it next time I'm a Chinese shop. This was
the first time I had ever seen it.

That probably doesn't help you in your part of the world?

thanks, i'll check out the asian markets around town to see what I can find.

Old 21-05-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Jude" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Jke wrote:

It does help to keep it in salted water in the fridge and to replace that
water regularly.

Never tried salt....I've always used straight tap water/

I think that's what the package recommends, too,. i add the salt because it
does have a preserving effect.

Does the salt
help preserve it? Does it give it a strong salty flavor?

The water it comes in is salty and the tofu in those package is slightly
salty, anyway. And not very absorbent, if my marinades are an indication.
The only get into the tofu about 2-3 millimeters deep (i.e. 1/10 of an
inch).So using salty water isn't a problem, IMO.

Old 21-05-2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

The Bubbo wrote:

Where do you get dried tofu? I love tofu and I love the idea of reconstituting
it with a marinade. My complaint about regular tofu is that it goes off so
quickly and when it goes bad it's an awful, stomach churning smell.

Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
nastiest smells ever.

A few weeks it too long, but I have no trouble keeping tofu
for 7 to 10 days. It just needs to be put in a clean container
with fresh water.

Also, there are brands of tofu that sell in smaller-sized units.
Wildwood has a 8 oz package of tofu, for example.

Steve