Ken Blake

Default New Test Proves Whether Champagne Is the Real Thing

Hard to believe, but the article says it works perfectly:

http://tinyurl.com/2g6zt

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

James Silverton

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> Hard to believe, but the article says it works perfectly:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2g6zt
>

> --
> Ken Blake
> Please reply to the newsgroup

I guess this means that the producers will have to be careful to
really use *some* grapes from the Champagne region. There have been
persuasive rumors that sometimes the grapes travel a long way.
Nonetheless, it still seems true that real French companies know how
to make the best sparkling wines. However, as a chemist I might be
tempted to find out what are the characteristic trace compounds even
if I have no intention of going into business to synthesize them (g).

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Mark Lipton

James Silverton wrote:

> I guess this means that the producers will have to be careful to
> really use *some* grapes from the Champagne region. There have been
> persuasive rumors that sometimes the grapes travel a long way.
> Nonetheless, it still seems true that real French companies know how
> to make the best sparkling wines. However, as a chemist I might be
> tempted to find out what are the characteristic trace compounds even
> if I have no intention of going into business to synthesize them (g).

IIRC, the article mentioned metals, so that sounds like the sort of
synthesis even crystallographers can do ;-)

Ducking quickly to avoid thrown brickbats,
Mark Lipton, unrepentant organicker