Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default Reconstituted dried tofu:better than the real thing

The Bubbo wrote:

>>Just experienced that about an hour ago. There was half a cake covered
>>with water in a snap top container in the fridge that was forgotten for
>>a few weeks. I have a strong stomach but that has to be one of the
>>nastiest smells ever.
>>
>>A good solution if you want to keep tofu on hand is to buy the one that
>>is packed in a "tetra pak". There is very little water and no air
>>voids. The brand I usually get is made by "Mori-Nu".
>>
>>http://www.morinu.com/

> how does the stuff in the tetra-pak compare to the stuff in the tub in terms
> of texture and consistency? can I press and fry it?

Exactly the same. It comes in all of the textures from soft to extra
firm. The nice part is that tetra-pak is not a "space food" method with
lots of preservatives. It is simply an aseptic packaging method with no
air voids. I would see it in the Japanese market but never bought it
because I thought it was "space food". A Japanese friend said that is
what they buy and the box doesn't list anything except tofu and you
can't notice any difference.