Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default El Bulli reconstituted olive

You've probably heard of the famous El Bulli reconstituted olive. They
place a tablespoon of olive puree in some chemical that solidifies the outer
shell. Anyone understand how that works?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 01:07:22 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:
>
>You've probably heard of the famous El Bulli reconstituted olive. They
>place a tablespoon of olive puree in some chemical that solidifies the outer
>shell. Anyone understand how that works?

All I know is that the concept can make someone a fortune, selling
virginity restorative elixior.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 01:07:22 -0400, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
> > You've probably heard of the famous El Bulli reconstituted olive.

> Uh, no.
>
> > They
> > place a tablespoon of olive puree in some chemical that solidifies
> > the outer shell. Anyone understand how that works?

> It's probably an alginate solution. Here is a recipe that
> demonstrates the technique:
>
> http://www.foodarts.com/recipes/reci...53/mock-oyster
>
> The picture is kinda small, but I've seen these before and they
> resemble the fake olives.

Thanks. So it works by absorbing water, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algin

But if the algin is in a water solution I wonder why it doesn't get
saturated.

zero, and remove the last word.

el Bulli closes permanently Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] General Cooking 6 17-02-2010 02:20 PM
I ate at el Bulli George Miles General Cooking 0 17-08-2009 06:46 AM
el Bulli Mike.. .. .. . General Cooking 0 13-08-2009 02:28 PM
El Bulli DarwinSF Restaurants 0 07-12-2006 08:25 PM
Reconstituted dried tofu:better than the real thing Jke General Cooking 19 23-05-2006 11:24 PM