Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default General Tso's Chicken (real thing)

* Exported from MasterCook *

General Tso's Chicken (Original)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken, Spicy, foodforu.ca

1/2 c Cornstarch
3 lb Chicken*
1/4 c Water
1/4 c Dark soy sauce
1 1/2 ts Minced ginger
1 t White pepper
1 1/2 ts Minced garlic
1 Egg
1/2 c Dark soy sauce
1 c Cornstarch
1/4 c White vinegar
1 c Salad oil
1/4 c Cooking sherry
2 c Sliced green onions
1 1/2 c Hot chicken broth
16 sm Hot dried peppers
1 tb Msg -- (optional)
3/4 c Refined sugar

*Dark deboned in chunks

I divided recipe portions (above) to make it easier to pre-prepare.

To make Sauce, mix cornstarch and water together. Add garlic,
ginger, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and wine. Then add broth and MSG
and stir 'til sugar dissolves. Refrigerate 'til needed.

In separate bowl mix chicken, soy sauce and pepper. Stir in egg. Add
cornstarch until chicken is coated evenly. Add oil to help separate
chicken pieces. Divide chicken in small quantities and deep-fry @
350 until crispy and light brown. (Do not overcook; watch temp, stir
fry or meat will toughen). Drain on paper towels. Place a small
amount of oil in wok and heat 'til just hot. Add onions and peppers
and stir-fry briefly (peppers will give off acrid smoke..be careful).
Stir sauce; add to wok. Add chicken and cook just 'til sauce
thickens. Add water or water/cornstarch if needed. This amount
will fill two large platters and serves 8.

Serve with white steamed rice.

This recipe courtesy of Chef Paul Kaewprasart of the Siam Rest in
Columbus, OH.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 364 Calories; 28g Fat (69.9%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
27mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 5 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

So sorry for posting the wrong recipe! Sheesh!

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:19:44 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>So sorry for posting the wrong recipe! Sheesh!

having a bad day are we

>On Mon, 04 May 2009 12:35:00 -0500, wrote:
>

>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> General Tso's Chicken (Original)
>>
>>Recipe By :
>>Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : Chicken, Spicy, foodforu.ca
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1/2 c Cornstarch
>> 3 lb Chicken*
>> 1/4 c Water
>> 1/4 c Dark soy sauce
>> 1 1/2 ts Minced ginger
>> 1 t White pepper
>> 1 1/2 ts Minced garlic
>> 1 Egg
>> 1/2 c Dark soy sauce
>> 1 c Cornstarch
>> 1/4 c White vinegar
>> 1 c Salad oil
>> 1/4 c Cooking sherry
>> 2 c Sliced green onions
>> 1 1/2 c Hot chicken broth
>> 16 sm Hot dried peppers
>> 1 tb Msg -- (optional)
>> 3/4 c Refined sugar
>>
>> *Dark deboned in chunks
>>
>> I divided recipe portions (above) to make it easier to pre-prepare.
>>
>> To make Sauce, mix cornstarch and water together. Add garlic,
>>ginger, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and wine. Then add broth and MSG
>>and stir 'til sugar dissolves. Refrigerate 'til needed.
>>
>> In separate bowl mix chicken, soy sauce and pepper. Stir in egg. Add
>> cornstarch until chicken is coated evenly. Add oil to help separate
>> chicken pieces. Divide chicken in small quantities and deep-fry @
>>350 until crispy and light brown. (Do not overcook; watch temp, stir
>>fry or meat will toughen). Drain on paper towels. Place a small
>>amount of oil in wok and heat 'til just hot. Add onions and peppers
>>and stir-fry briefly (peppers will give off acrid smoke..be careful).
>> Stir sauce; add to wok. Add chicken and cook just 'til sauce
>> thickens. Add water or water/cornstarch if needed. This amount
>>will fill two large platters and serves 8.
>>
>> Serve with white steamed rice.
>>
>> This recipe courtesy of Chef Paul Kaewprasart of the Siam Rest in
>> Columbus, OH.
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 364 Calories; 28g Fat (69.9%
>>calories from fat); 1g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
>>27mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
>>Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 5 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 11:19*am, Damsel in dis Dress >
wrote:
> So sorry for posting the wrong recipe! *Sheesh!

Sheesh, indeed. Here she/he calls it the (real thing) and
(original). In the other thread she/he says, "This seems to be the
correct one". As though that would matter for this kind of dish, even
if it were not fallacious to begin with. More and more one gets the
impression of a recipe gatherer at work, not a cook. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 2:38*pm, wrote:
> Carols a big girl she doesn't need you running to her rescue, btw
> where's the recipe so people know what you're talking about. Snip the
> pertinent stuff out of the post then make an asinine comment, nice

Memory finally kicked in. I knew I had seen an authoritative account
of this dish but couldn't remember where. This is a link to a NY
Times story from two years ago in which the estimable cookbook writer
Fuchsia Dunlop sets forth the history of General Tso's Chicken. It
also appears, somewhat altered, in her book on Hunan cooking. The
dish was created by one of Taiwan's finest chefs, whose culinary
roots were in Hunan, who moved to New York in the 1970s. After
extensively laying out the history, she gives a Taiwan version of the
recipe, i.e., one with less sugar than the New York version. As is
often the case, the technical tips in the recipe are probably more
useful than the ingredients.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/ma.../04food.t.html

> btw if you're not a recipe gatherer, what are you doing here seems
> like a good question...

Recipes are a dime a dozen, or thousands for free. The value of rfc
is not in the recipes. You'll figure it out if you stay more than a
couple of weeks. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

iffu wrote:

> Carol, you took it wrong, I posted the recipe exactually as the Chef
> from the Siam restaurant supplied it.

Why does the recipe from "Siam" qualify as the "real thing"? Does the cook
claim it is the authentic recipe cooked by the originator -- whom he is NOT?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 May 2009 16:47:41 -0700, "Bob Bowers"
> wrote:

>iffu wrote:
>
>> Carol, you took it wrong, I posted the recipe exactually as the Chef
>> from the Siam restaurant supplied it.

>Why does the recipe from "Siam" qualify as the "real thing"? Does the cook
>claim it is the authentic recipe cooked by the originator -- whom he is NOT?
>
>Bob

prove he's not
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 4:47*pm, "Bob Bowers" > wrote:
> iffu wrote:
> > Carol, you took it wrong, I posted the recipe exactually as the Chef
> > from the Siam restaurant *supplied it.

> Why does the recipe from "Siam" qualify as the "real thing"? Does the cook
> claim it is the authentic recipe cooked by the originator -- whom he is NOT?

If you want to know the origin of the dish, Fuchsia Dunlop wrote about
it both in the New York Times and in her book about Hunanese cooking,
two years ago. I posted a link to the article but that post is not
showing up for some reason. The article also includes a recipe. Long
story short, a fine chef from Taiwan with roots in Hunan moved to NYC
in the 1970s and this dish was one of a number he created for his
restaurant. Dunlop's description seems pretty authoritative to me,
inasmuch as she interviewed the chef (she speaks Chinese) and the
restaurant's history is known. -aem