Old 13-05-2005, 08:55 PM
jmcquown

Default Here's what I'm gonna do

I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long story
short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages of it on the
shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or couldn't) read that
it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His boss is also foreign but is
very literate; he was educated in England. Luckily they'd stored the rest
of the pasta in the back cooler. To thank me for pointing out the problem,
he gave me a free package pound of the (good) pasta which promptly went into
my freezer.

So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp (both
from cans) in a basil cream sauce. Not exactly a pesto since I have no pine
nuts or any other kind of nut (other than myself) in the house. I only have
dried oregano but I do have fresh parsley and garlic.

I'll drizzle in olive oil to get the basil, parsley and garlic in the food
processor to the desired texture. Then it goes into a pan with some cream
(again to the desired texture). I'll heat this up gently and add the
drained crab meat and shrimp and stir it all into the drained pasta. I do
have fresh Parmesan which I will grate over the top. I'll garnish with
fresh slices of lemon and fresh parsley. Might add a splash of the lemon to
the mixture before I stir it all together... depends on the way it tastes.
Oh, and pepper, of course.

At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for all I
know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner. G

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old 13-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Andy

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for
all I know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner.

That sounds delicious. It's great that you improvise so well. I can't.
Anyway, maybe add a splash of wine to your sauce?

Put out the fine china, get the candlabras out and the good flatware and
have a great candlelight dinner!

I'm having a whole roast chicken using the giant corn-cobb holders
method. [sigh]

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Old 13-05-2005, 09:20 PM
jmcquown

Andy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for
all I know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner.

That sounds delicious. It's great that you improvise so well. I can't.

I've had almost 30 years to learn how to improvise

Anyway, maybe add a splash of wine to your sauce?

I would if I had some... darn, I knew I should have bought some wine! But
then I'd have drunk most of it, except for that cup or two, and then dinner
would be put off until tomorrow, electricity or not. G

It just occurred to me I could add some broccoli florets (from frozen) too,
and I even have some carrots (fresh) I could grate and saute with the
broccoli and add to the pot. I'm not a huge fan of carrots but they do add
colour and if they aren't in big chunks I don't mind them.

Put out the fine china, get the candlabras out and the good flatware
and have a great candlelight dinner!

EEEK! Then I'd have to hand-wash the china! What are you, some kinda nut?!
(teasing)

I'm having a whole roast chicken using the giant corn-cobb holders
method. [sigh]

Andy

You mean a rotisserie? I don't have one of those. But oven-roasted chicken
is one of the few ways I like it.

Jill

Old 13-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:
(snip)

So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp

Jill

It all sounds quite wonderful!
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Old 13-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Andy

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

You mean a rotisserie? I don't have one of those. But oven-roasted
chicken is one of the few ways I like it.

Actually, Jill, it was a stretch of my imagination. A roasted chicken
with a giant corn cobb holder in the neck and the butt and me eating it
like a cobb of corn. Sorry if I caused you any lapse of rationale!

Andy

Old 13-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Dimitri

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

If it ain't too late hold the cheese. It can very easily overpower the
shellfish.

Dimitri

Old 14-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Rona Y.

(piggy-backing)
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long
story short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages
of it on the shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or
couldn't) read that it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His
boss is also foreign but is very literate; he was educated in
England.

Your prejudices are showing again...

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Old 14-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Elaine Parrish

Would you like to have a covered dish dinner at my house? I'll supply the
plates. g

Elaine, too

Old 14-05-2005, 03:08 AM
jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

It didn't I also added grated lemon zest, sauteed broccoli and carrot to
add colour to the dish. It's delicious! I'll do this again.

Jill

Old 14-05-2005, 03:18 AM
jmcquown

Rona Y. wrote:
(piggy-backing)
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long
story short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages
of it on the shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or
couldn't) read that it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His
boss is also foreign but is very literate; he was educated in
England.

Your prejudices are showing again...

Not prejudice, simply a statement of fact. If you talked to this man (Ali)
you'd see for yourself he barely speaks/reads English. I pointed out to him
it needed to be refrigerated. The next day it was still on the shelf.
That's when I told his more literate boss (Abdul) the same thing. He read
the package and promptly removed the (by then dried out and unsaleable)
pasta from the shelf and gave me a free package from the cooler as a thank
you.

Would it have been better for me to ignore it and let them lose an entire
case of the stuff because Ali can't read English? Better to leave them
wondering if they shouldn't stock it because no one would buy it in that
condition?

If that's prejudice then I should have kept my mouth shut and let them lose
a bunch of money. Maybe if I behaved that way I could single-handedly run
them out of business by letting their products rot on the shelves. Yeah,
that's the ticket.

You truly have no clue about me and I'll thank you to avoid slapping labels
on me.

Jill

Old 14-05-2005, 04:46 AM
Damsel

"jmcquown" said:

Rona Y. wrote:
(piggy-backing)
"jmcquown" wrote in message
I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long
story short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages
of it on the shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or
couldn't) read that it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His
boss is also foreign but is very literate; he was educated in
England.

Your prejudices are showing again...

Not prejudice, simply a statement of fact.

I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when she
posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to heart. I
know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented than prejudiced.
She shops at that store several times a week. I don't think she'd do that
if she had a problem with the people who work there.

Just my 50 cents.
Carol
Old 14-05-2005, 05:04 AM
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
"jmcquown" said:

Rona Y. wrote:
(piggy-backing)
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week because
if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And the
Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive to the fact
these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice people.

Jill

Old 14-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Damsel

"jmcquown" said:

Damsel wrote:

I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when
she posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to
heart. I know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented
than prejudiced. She shops at that store several times a week. I
don't think she'd do that if she had a problem with the people who
work there.

Just my 50 cents.
Carol

Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week because
if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And the
Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive to the fact
these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice people.

I know the real reason you didn't include Italian sausage in the soup.
It's because you hate Italians! I know you!

Carol
Old 14-05-2005, 05:15 AM
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
"jmcquown" said:

Damsel wrote:

[...]

LOL! Yep, and I won't eat pasta, either, for that very reason! Nor do I eat
Bratwurst because I hate Germans. I'm just one flaming prejudiced person
who will only eat Haggis and blood sausage. G

Jill

Old 14-05-2005, 05:54 AM
jmcquown

Elaine Parrish wrote:
Would you like to have a covered dish dinner at my house? I'll supply
the plates. g

Elaine, too

Does this qualify as a "covered dish"? Hmmm. Maybe if I covered it G
I'm thinking I could certainly have put in in a covered casserole and baked
it just to warm.

Jill