Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Red Baron (brand) Fail

Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'. They are
small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box. I recall they
were pretty good so last week I bought another box. Uh oh.

I went on the company website and sent them an email. I wrote:

"Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in the
microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that went up
the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round disc which
doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the microwave. I am
highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the one remaining
Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but after this I will not
buy this product again."

I got an almost immediate response:

"My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.

When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check the
Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date. If the
code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be included. If the
code starts with 31, the square microwave tray will be included.

I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which should
arrive within the next 3 weeks.

Sincerely,

Andrea
Consumer Experience Representative"

WTH? I replied:

"Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know this
and check each product code before selecting an item off the freezer
shelf? Why make it so difficult for the consumer? That's called making
people jump through hoops. Or making excuses for why you changed the
product design.

Thanks, but I really don't want a coupon. I will bake the other one and
will not be buying this product again."

Their response was:

"Your additional comments have been added to our report which has been
sent to our Quality Assurance Team. If you change your mind about
getting the coupon, let us know."

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2021 9:21 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Whew!Â* Glad I got that off my chest.
>
> Jill

Snooty bitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 09:21:25 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'. They are
>small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box. I recall they
>were pretty good so last week I bought another box. Uh oh.
>
>I went on the company website and sent them an email. I wrote:
>
>"Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in the
>microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that went up
>the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round disc which
>doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the microwave. I am
>highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the one remaining
>Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but after this I will not
>buy this product again."
>
>I got an almost immediate response:
>
>"My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.
>
>When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check the
>Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date. If the
>code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be included. If the
>code starts with 31, the square microwave tray will be included.
>
>I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which should
>arrive within the next 3 weeks.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Andrea
>Consumer Experience Representative"
>
>WTH? I replied:
>
>"Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know this
>and check each product code before selecting an item off the freezer
>shelf? Why make it so difficult for the consumer? That's called making
>people jump through hoops. Or making excuses for why you changed the
>product design.
>
>Thanks, but I really don't want a coupon. I will bake the other one and
>will not be buying this product again."
>
>Their response was:
>
>"Your additional comments have been added to our report which has been
>sent to our Quality Assurance Team. If you change your mind about
>getting the coupon, let us know."
>
>Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.
>
>Jill

I would have thanked them for their concern and for the free coupon. I
would use the free coupon and feed their product to the critters. I
would not have become the least bit annoyed as I'd never have bought
such a product the first time, not their fault that I wasn't thinking
clearly. I buy so-called day old bread for half price whenever I see
it, critters appreciate it and some is still good as fresh baked,
nothing the toaster won't fix, especially raisin bread. Hungry birds
and deer will eat most anything, bluejays love canned cat food. It's
been an exceptionally rough winter, cold in the single digits and many
feet of snow covering whatever food the critters could find. We put
out bird seed, carrots, and baked goods every day... nothing edible
goes in the trash. First thing this morning I put out part of our
uneaten dinner, two saw-seege and a bunch of pasta, all long gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'. They are
>small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box. I recall they
>were pretty good so last week I bought another box. Uh oh.
>
>I went on the company website and sent them an email. I wrote:
>
>"Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in the
>microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that went up
>the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round disc which
>doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the microwave. I am
>highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the one remaining
>Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but after this I will not
>buy this product again."
>
>I got an almost immediate response:
>
>"My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.
>
>When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check the
>Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date. If the
>code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be included. If the
>code starts with 31, the square microwave tray will be included.
>
>I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which should
>arrive within the next 3 weeks.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Andrea
>Consumer Experience Representative"
>
>WTH? I replied:
>
>"Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know this
>and check each product code before selecting an item off the freezer
>shelf? Why make it so difficult for the consumer? That's called making
>people jump through hoops. Or making excuses for why you changed the
>product design.
>
>Thanks, but I really don't want a coupon. I will bake the other one and
>will not be buying this product again."
>
>Their response was:
>
>"Your additional comments have been added to our report which has been
>sent to our Quality Assurance Team. If you change your mind about
>getting the coupon, let us know."
>
>Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.
>
>Jill

I'm glad you stuck with it. BTW, which code gets you the trays with
sides? Your responder didn't seem to address that. Customer input is
the only way they understand the weak spots in their product.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 10:27:23 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

> [...]

>would use the free coupon and feed their product to the critters. I
>would not have become the least bit annoyed as I'd never have bought
>such a product the first time, not their fault that I wasn't thinking
>clearly. I buy so-called day old bread for half price whenever I see
>it, critters appreciate it and some is still good as fresh baked,
>nothing the toaster won't fix, especially raisin bread. Hungry birds
>and deer will eat most anything, bluejays love canned cat food. It's
>been an exceptionally rough winter, cold in the single digits and many
>feet of snow covering whatever food the critters could find. We put
>out bird seed, carrots, and baked goods every day... nothing edible
>goes in the trash. First thing this morning I put out part of our
>uneaten dinner, two saw-seege and a bunch of pasta, all long gone.

Bread is empty calories for your habituated critters.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2021 10:36 AM, US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 09:21:25 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'. They are
>> small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box. I recall they
>> were pretty good so last week I bought another box. Uh oh.
>>
>> I went on the company website and sent them an email. I wrote:
>>
>> "Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in the
>> microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that went up
>> the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round disc which
>> doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the microwave. I am
>> highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the one remaining
>> Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but after this I will not
>> buy this product again."
>>
>> I got an almost immediate response:
>>
>> "My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.
>>
>> When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check the
>> Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date. If the
>> code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be included. If the
>> code starts with 31, the square microwave tray will be included.
>>
>> I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which should
>> arrive within the next 3 weeks.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Andrea
>> Consumer Experience Representative"
>>
>> WTH? I replied:
>>
>> "Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know this
>> and check each product code before selecting an item off the freezer
>> shelf? Why make it so difficult for the consumer? That's called making
>> people jump through hoops. Or making excuses for why you changed the
>> product design.
>>
>> Thanks, but I really don't want a coupon. I will bake the other one and
>> will not be buying this product again."
>>
>> Their response was:
>>
>> "Your additional comments have been added to our report which has been
>> sent to our Quality Assurance Team. If you change your mind about
>> getting the coupon, let us know."
>>
>> Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm glad you stuck with it. BTW, which code gets you the trays with
> sides? Your responder didn't seem to address that. Customer input is
> the only way they understand the weak spots in their product.
> Janet US

Oh, she did. She wrote "If the code starts with 7F, the round microwave
tray will be included. If the code starts with 31, the square microwave
tray will be included." So you want the one that starts with 31.

I ask you, is a consumer supposed to know what those product codes
represent? I don't think so. But you're right. The only way they'll
know is if people get in touch and provide feedback. I'm not a totally
negative Nelly, either. If I really like a product I also let the
company know.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2021 10:40 AM, US Janet wrote:
> [...]

>> would use the free coupon and feed their product to the critters. I
>> would not have become the least bit annoyed as I'd never have bought
>> such a product the first time, not their fault that I wasn't thinking
>> clearly. I buy so-called day old bread for half price whenever I see
>> it, critters appreciate it and some is still good as fresh baked,
>> nothing the toaster won't fix, especially raisin bread. Hungry birds
>> and deer will eat most anything, bluejays love canned cat food. It's
>> been an exceptionally rough winter, cold in the single digits and many
>> feet of snow covering whatever food the critters could find. We put
>> out bird seed, carrots, and baked goods every day... nothing edible
>> goes in the trash. First thing this morning I put out part of our
>> uneaten dinner, two saw-seege and a bunch of pasta, all long gone.

> Bread is empty calories for your habituated critters.

Bread and pasta - sure, they'll eat it but it's empty calories. I don't
throw leftover food out in my yard. (I also didn't say I threw the
pizza in the trash. I ate the first one, disappointing though it was,
then baked the other one and it was fine. I don't plan on buying the
product again, coupon or no coupon.

I'm sure as heck not using a coupon to buy a product intended for humans
just so I can cook it and throw it out for the critters to eat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 9:21:40 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'. They are
> small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box. I recall they
> were pretty good so last week I bought another box. Uh oh.
>
> I went on the company website and sent them an email. I wrote:
>
> "Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in the
> microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that went up
> the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round disc which
> doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the microwave. I am
> highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the one remaining
> Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but after this I will not
> buy this product again."
>
> I got an almost immediate response:
>
> "My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.
>
> When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check the
> Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date. If the
> code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be included. If the
> code starts with 31, the square microwave tray will be included.
>
> I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which should
> arrive within the next 3 weeks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Andrea
> Consumer Experience Representative"
>
> WTH? I replied:
>
> "Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know this
> and check each product code before selecting an item off the freezer
> shelf? Why make it so difficult for the consumer? That's called making
> people jump through hoops. Or making excuses for why you changed the
> product design.
>
> Thanks, but I really don't want a coupon. I will bake the other one and
> will not be buying this product again."
>
> Their response was:
>
> "Your additional comments have been added to our report which has been
> sent to our Quality Assurance Team. If you change your mind about
> getting the coupon, let us know."
>
> Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.
>
> Jill

I wonder what red baron is in italian, anyway? Barone rosso or something?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:10:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 3/6/2021 10:40 AM, US Janet wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 10:27:23 -0500, Sheldon Martin >
> > wrote:

> >> I would have thanked them for their concern and for the free coupon. I
> >> would use the free coupon and feed their product to the critters. I
> >> would not have become the least bit annoyed as I'd never have bought
> >> such a product the first time, not their fault that I wasn't thinking
> >> clearly. I buy so-called day old bread for half price whenever I see
> >> it, critters appreciate it and some is still good as fresh baked,
> >> nothing the toaster won't fix, especially raisin bread. Hungry birds
> >> and deer will eat most anything, bluejays love canned cat food. It's
> >> been an exceptionally rough winter, cold in the single digits and many
> >> feet of snow covering whatever food the critters could find. We put
> >> out bird seed, carrots, and baked goods every day... nothing edible
> >> goes in the trash. First thing this morning I put out part of our
> >> uneaten dinner, two saw-seege and a bunch of pasta, all long gone.

> > Bread is empty calories for your habituated critters.
> > Janet US
> >

> Bread and pasta

Its all just flour and water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/6/2021 7:56 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> [...]
>>> getting the coupon, let us know."
>>>
>>> Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I'm glad you stuck with it. BTW, which code gets you the trays with
>> sides? Your responder didn't seem to address that. Customer input is
>> the only way they understand the weak spots in their product.
>> Janet US
>>

> Oh, she did. She wrote "If the code starts with 7F, the round microwave
> tray will be included. If the code starts with 31, the square microwave
> tray will be included." So you want the one that starts with 31.
>
> I ask you, is a consumer supposed to know what those product codes
> represent? I don't think so. But you're right. The only way they'll
> know is if people get in touch and provide feedback. I'm not a totally
> negative Nelly, either. If I really like a product I also let the

Why is there a need for the round disk at all? Why not just sell them
all with the square? Or one with perforations so the user can choose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'.* They
> are small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box.* I
> recall they were pretty good so last week I bought another box.* Uh
> oh.
>
> I went on the company website and sent them an email.* I wrote:
>
> "Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in
> the microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that
> went up the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round
> disc which doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the
> microwave. I am highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the
> one remaining Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but
> after this I will not buy this product again."
>
> I got an almost immediate response:
>
> "My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.
>
> When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check
> the Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date.
> If the code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be
> included.* If the code starts with 31, the square microwave tray
> will be included.
>
> I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which
> should arrive within the next 3 weeks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Andrea
> Consumer Experience Representative"
>
> WTH?* I replied:
>
> "Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know
> this and check each product code before selecting an item off the
> freezer shelf?* Why make it so difficult for the consumer?* That's
> called making people jump through hoops.* Or making excuses for why
> you changed the product design.
>
> Thanks, but I really don't want a coupon.* I will bake the other
> one and will not be buying this product again."
>
> Their response was:
>
> "Your additional comments have been added to our report which has
> been sent to our Quality Assurance Team.* If you change your mind
> about getting the coupon, let us know."
>
> Whew!* Glad I got that off my chest.
>
> Jill

I bet you were stoned on your ass the first time you tried them and
thought it was good vittles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

US Janet wrote:
> [...]

>> would use the free coupon and feed their product to the critters. I
>> would not have become the least bit annoyed as I'd never have bought
>> such a product the first time, not their fault that I wasn't thinking
>> clearly. I buy so-called day old bread for half price whenever I see
>> it, critters appreciate it and some is still good as fresh baked,
>> nothing the toaster won't fix, especially raisin bread. Hungry birds
>> and deer will eat most anything, bluejays love canned cat food. It's
>> been an exceptionally rough winter, cold in the single digits and many
>> feet of snow covering whatever food the critters could find. We put
>> out bird seed, carrots, and baked goods every day... nothing edible
>> goes in the trash. First thing this morning I put out part of our
>> uneaten dinner, two saw-seege and a bunch of pasta, all long gone.

> Bread is empty calories for your habituated critters.

Popeye has an empty head, so it all matches up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 09:21:25 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'. They are
> small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box. I recall they
> were pretty good so last week I bought another box. Uh oh.
>
> I went on the company website and sent them an email. I wrote:
>
> "Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in the
> microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that went up
> the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round disc which
> doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the microwave. I am
> highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the one remaining
> Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but after this I will not
> buy this product again."
>
> I got an almost immediate response:
>
> "My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.
>
> When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check the
> Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date. If the
> code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be included. If the
> code starts with 31, the square microwave tray will be included.
>
> I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which should
> arrive within the next 3 weeks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Andrea
> Consumer Experience Representative"
>
> WTH? I replied:
>
> "Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know this
> and check each product code before selecting an item off the freezer
> shelf? Why make it so difficult for the consumer? That's called making
> people jump through hoops. Or making excuses for why you changed the
> product design.

Why not buy the one with square tray if you see it, and could have
gotten it free?

I thought they're response was pretty reasonable, but you wanted be
a sourpuss about it.

Of course the "31" tray is probably not distributed in your area,
but it couldn't hurt looking for it. And if you don't see it, lay
the coupon on the product and somebody else can get one for free.
Karma.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 10:56:13 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> I ask you, is a consumer supposed to know what those product codes
> represent? I don't think so.

You know now. And so do we. We now have insider information. I'm
surprised they even had that specific of an answer for you - exactly
what you wanted to know, but then ****ed it away.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2021 2:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 10:56:13 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I ask you, is a consumer supposed to know what those product codes
>> represent? I don't think so.

> You know now. And so do we. We now have insider information. I'm
> surprised they even had that specific of an answer for you - exactly
> what you wanted to know, but then ****ed it away.
>
> -sw

I didn't **** anything away. I am not that enamoured of the product to
go digging through the items on the grocery store freezer shelf looking
for a specific product code. I can live without it. I did think they
should know why I won't be buying it again.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 18:13:50 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/8/2021 2:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 10:56:13 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I ask you, is a consumer supposed to know what those product codes
>>> represent? I don't think so.

>> You know now. And so do we. We now have insider information. I'm
>> surprised they even had that specific of an answer for you - exactly
>> what you wanted to know, but then ****ed it away.
>>

> I didn't **** anything away. I am not that enamoured of the product to
> go digging through the items on the grocery store freezer shelf looking
> for a specific product code. I can live without it. I did think they
> should know why I won't be buying it again.

I didn't see the scrambles pizza, but I did see the 2-packs that
began with 7F. But the Walmart brand that comes in 4 packs for
almost the same price began with 31. That took all of 20 to
determine. So I bought a 4-pack of "Supremes" just so I could rub
your nose in them ;-) I'll send them to you unused. Cooking pizza
in the microwave sucks, silver tray or not, A toaster oven has
always been in my kitchen since 3 days after I moved out of the
house at 18. It would be wise of you to invest on one (40 years
ago).

JFTR: I shopped at Walmart today since I had my vaccination there.
It went very smoothly. The checkout line took twice as long as the
vaccination. As usual, they only have one checker in the whole store
and she's on Thorazine.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2021 7:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 18:13:50 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> You know now. And so do we. We now have insider information. I'm
>>> surprised they even had that specific of an answer for you - exactly
>>> what you wanted to know, but then ****ed it away.
>>>

>> I didn't **** anything away. I am not that enamoured of the product to
>> go digging through the items on the grocery store freezer shelf looking
>> for a specific product code. I can live without it. I did think they
>> should know why I won't be buying it again.

> I didn't see the scrambles pizza, but I did see the 2-packs that
> began with 7F. But the Walmart brand that comes in 4 packs for
> almost the same price began with 31. That took all of 20 to
> determine. So I bought a 4-pack of "Supremes" just so I could rub
> your nose in them ;-)

(snippage)

> JFTR: I shopped at Walmart today since I had my vaccination there.
> It went very smoothly. The checkout line took twice as long as the
> vaccination. As usual, they only have one checker in the whole store
> and she's on Thorazine.
>
> -sw

Good for you and happy you got the first vaccine. I never buy groceries
at Walmart but I'm thrilled you could find the right code on the store
brand.

I did actually bake the other one in the oven. No, I don't want to buy
a toaster oven. Would take up too much room on the counter for a seldom
used appliance.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 18:40:24 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>JFTR: I shopped at Walmart today since I had my vaccination there.
>It went very smoothly. The checkout line took twice as long as the
>vaccination. As usual, they only have one checker in the whole store
>and she's on Thorazine.
>
>-sw

Congrats on the vaccination.

And thank you for the splorf description of the casher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 18:40:24 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 18:13:50 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> You know now. And so do we. We now have insider information. I'm
>>> surprised they even had that specific of an answer for you - exactly
>>> what you wanted to know, but then ****ed it away.
>>>

>> I didn't **** anything away. I am not that enamoured of the product to
>> go digging through the items on the grocery store freezer shelf looking
>> for a specific product code. I can live without it. I did think they
>> should know why I won't be buying it again.

> I didn't see the scrambles pizza, but I did see the 2-packs that
> began with 7F. But the Walmart brand that comes in 4 packs for
> almost the same price began with 31. That took all of 20 to
> determine. So I bought a 4-pack of "Supremes" just so I could rub
> your nose in them ;-) I'll send them to you unused. Cooking pizza
> in the microwave sucks, silver tray or not, A toaster oven has
> always been in my kitchen since 3 days after I moved out of the
> house at 18. It would be wise of you to invest on one (40 years
> ago).

Sadly, the Walmart branded Digiorno mini pizzas that begin with "31"
do not have any trays at all. That must be how they're half the
price of the brand name - which I consider a good deal IMO. When
you have a toaster oven you don't cook shit like that in the
microwave, gimmicky tray or not. Especially when it takes 20-23
minutes for a single little pizza. That's a lot of heat coming from
an full size oven for dinky pizza.

These were "supremes" that I doctored with extra cheese and
pepperoni. I probably could have gotten by with one of them - the
dough is pretty heavy.

https://i.postimg.cc/JnWkfsSL/Mini-Deep-Dish-Pizza.jpg

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 20:03:47 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/8/2021 7:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I didn't **** anything away. I am not that enamoured of the product to
>>> go digging through the items on the grocery store freezer shelf looking
>>> for a specific product code. I can live without it. I did think they
>>> should know why I won't be buying it again.

>> I didn't see the scrambles pizza, but I did see the 2-packs that
>> began with 7F. But the Walmart brand that comes in 4 packs for
>> almost the same price began with 31. That took all of 20 to
>> determine. So I bought a 4-pack of "Supremes" just so I could rub
>> your nose in them ;-)

> (snippage)
>>
>> JFTR: I shopped at Walmart today since I had my vaccination there.
>> It went very smoothly. The checkout line took twice as long as the
>> vaccination. As usual, they only have one checker in the whole store
>> and she's on Thorazine.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Good for you and happy you got the first vaccine. I never buy groceries
> at Walmart but I'm thrilled you could find the right code on the store
> brand.
>
> I did actually bake the other one in the oven. No, I don't want to buy
> a toaster oven. Would take up too much room on the counter for a seldom
> used appliance.

I use mjy toaster oven 5X as much as my regular oven. I've used it
three ties already today. One you start to us it, I'm sure you
wouldn't consider it a waste of space. Mine sits a metal shelving
rack far away from counters. I know two people that have them in
their pantry, one doesn't even her full size oven - the oven is used
as an extra cabinet

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2021 6:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 20:03:47 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I didn't see the scrambles pizza, but I did see the 2-packs that
>>> began with 7F. But the Walmart brand that comes in 4 packs for
>>> almost the same price began with 31. That took all of 20 to
>>> determine. So I bought a 4-pack of "Supremes" just so I could rub
>>> your nose in them ;-)

>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> JFTR: I shopped at Walmart today since I had my vaccination there.
>>> It went very smoothly. The checkout line took twice as long as the
>>> vaccination. As usual, they only have one checker in the whole store
>>> and she's on Thorazine.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Good for you and happy you got the first vaccine. I never buy groceries
>> at Walmart but I'm thrilled you could find the right code on the store
>> brand.
>>
>> I did actually bake the other one in the oven. No, I don't want to buy
>> a toaster oven. Would take up too much room on the counter for a seldom
>> used appliance.

> I use mjy toaster oven 5X as much as my regular oven. I've used it
> three ties already today.

I'm happy for you and your toaster oven, really! I don't have a reason
to use any kind of oven, be it microwave, toaster oven or actual oven,
three times a day.

> One you start to us it, I'm sure you
> wouldn't consider it a waste of space. Mine sits a metal shelving
> rack far away from counters.

You have a place in your kitchen to stash it and, I'm assuming, also to
plug it in and use it without moving stuff?

> I know two people that have them in
> their pantry, one doesn't even her full size oven - the oven is used
> as an extra cabinet
>
> -sw

Well, I don't use my oven as a storage cabinet. There is a drawer
underneath where I store baking sheets and a griddle and such.

My pantry contains food, not cooking implements. There are wire racks
in the laundry room right off the kitchen which do contain some cooking
stuff but I'd have to drag it out every time I wanted to use it. Sorry,
I simply don't have a need for a toaster oven. Won't be buying those
single-serve pizzas again, either, so no worries.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 19:13:59 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/9/2021 6:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> (snippage)

>>> Good for you and happy you got the first vaccine. I never buy groceries
>>> at Walmart but I'm thrilled you could find the right code on the store
>>> brand.
>>>
>>> I did actually bake the other one in the oven. No, I don't want to buy
>>> a toaster oven. Would take up too much room on the counter for a seldom
>>> used appliance.

>> I use mjy toaster oven 5X as much as my regular oven. I've used it
>> three ties already today.

> I'm happy for you and your toaster oven, really! I don't have a reason
> to use any kind of oven, be it microwave, toaster oven or actual oven,
> three times a day.

The point is that for one person cooking, it saves a time, money,
and energy even if you don't use it 3 times a day.

>> One you start to us it, I'm sure you
>> wouldn't consider it a waste of space. Mine sits a metal shelving
>> rack far away from counters.

> You have a place in your kitchen to stash it and, I'm assuming, also to
> plug it in and use it without moving stuff?

It's plugged right ion teh metal shelving unit. Next to the
microwave which sits on another metal rack/shelving unit. No moving
anything to use either one of them,. The shelving a great place to
set and use those two ovens and keep the counters clear.

> I simply don't have a need for a toaster oven.

Yes you do. You just don't know it :-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 3/9/2021 6:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> (snippage)

> >> Good for you and happy you got the first vaccine. I never buy groceries
> >> at Walmart but I'm thrilled you could find the right code on the store
> >> brand.
> >>
> >> I did actually bake the other one in the oven. No, I don't want to buy
> >> a toaster oven. Would take up too much room on the counter for a seldom
> >> used appliance.

> > I use mjy toaster oven 5X as much as my regular oven. I've used it
> > three ties already today.

> I'm happy for you and your toaster oven, really! I don't have a reason
> to use any kind of oven, be it microwave, toaster oven or actual oven,
> three times a day.
> > One you start to us it, I'm sure you
> > wouldn't consider it a waste of space. Mine sits a metal shelving
> > rack far away from counters.

> You have a place in your kitchen to stash it and, I'm assuming, also to
> plug it in and use it without moving stuff?
> > I know two people that have them in
> > their pantry, one doesn't even her full size oven - the oven is used
> > as an extra cabinet
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Well, I don't use my oven as a storage cabinet. There is a drawer
> underneath where I store baking sheets and a griddle and such.
>
> My pantry contains food, not cooking implements. There are wire racks
> in the laundry room right off the kitchen which do contain some cooking
> stuff but I'd have to drag it out every time I wanted to use it. Sorry,
> I simply don't have a need for a toaster oven. Won't be buying those
> single-serve pizzas again, either, so no worries.

Never say never! Especially to party food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-09, jmcquown > wrote:

> I never buy groceries at Walmart.......

Why not?

While most of WW's is Chinese, much of it is still "US made". It's
one of few places I can buy "Del Monte" brand. Their "SPAM"
equivelent is better than REAL Spam.

I usually buy foodstuffs at a "Kroger" store (City Market) but am
constantly amazed by the stuff I find, at WW. (even produce

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2021 4:14 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2021-03-09, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I never buy groceries at Walmart.......

> Why not?
>
> While most of WW's is Chinese, much of it is still "US made". It's
> one of few places I can buy "Del Monte" brand. Their "SPAM"
> equivelent is better than REAL Spam.

Better late than never, nb! Hope you haven't fallen off your deck
recently. The few times I've looked for groceries at the "Super
Walmart" I was not impressed. The meat case had very little to offer.
Well before the pandemic, very little milk or butter or cheeses. Empty
cases. There is not a bakery in this Super Walmart with fresh made in
store bread. There isn't a manned butcher case, either. What Walmart
calls their "bakery" offer some packaged "artisinal breads" which are
pre-packed loaves laden with preservatives.
> I usually buy foodstuffs at a "Kroger" store (City Market) but am
> constantly amazed by the stuff I find, at WW. (even produce
>
> nb

When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes. I steamed them and
dipped the leaves in melted butter with a bit of lemon. I am not at all
interested in cooking Spam. Or Del Monte canned vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 4:38:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 3/13/2021 4:14 PM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2021-03-09, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> I never buy groceries at Walmart.......

> > Why not?
> >
> > While most of WW's is Chinese, much of it is still "US made". It's
> > one of few places I can buy "Del Monte" brand. Their "SPAM"
> > equivelent is better than REAL Spam.
> >

> Better late than never, nb! Hope you haven't fallen off your deck
> recently. The few times I've looked for groceries at the "Super
> Walmart" I was not impressed. The meat case had very little to offer.
> Well before the pandemic, very little milk or butter or cheeses. Empty
> cases. There is not a bakery in this Super Walmart with fresh made in
> store bread. There isn't a manned butcher case, either. What Walmart
> calls their "bakery" offer some packaged "artisinal breads" which are
> pre-packed loaves laden with preservatives.

Home made packaging can look VERY professional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-13, jmcquown > wrote:

> When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
> nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

Good for you!

Sometimes they come thru. Their green onions and organic russets are
good, too.

I'm still wearing a pair of merino wool socks I bought 12+ yrs ago, at
WW (made in USA (or assembled)).

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>> When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
>> nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

>nb

Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:17:05 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
>>> nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

>>nb

>Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
>artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
>primarily in coastal California...

I checked this and it's true. Very disappointing, Sheldon.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/03/2021 19:42, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:17:05 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:

>>> nb

>> Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
>> artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
>> primarily in coastal California...

> I checked this and it's true. Very disappointing, Sheldon.

As I said recently, he isn't _always_ wrong. Just most of the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 20:48:47 +0000, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 23/03/2021 19:42, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:17:05 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
>> wrote:

>>> Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
>>> artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
>>> primarily in coastal California...

>> I checked this and it's true. Very disappointing, Sheldon.
>>

>As I said recently, he isn't _always_ wrong. Just most of the time.

Yes. I wish he was more consistent.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-23 3:17 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
>>> nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

>> nb

> Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
> artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
> primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
> grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.

I saw them in a grocery store here a week or two ago. That is a rare
sighting for me. They are all but non-existent around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 17:44:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> nb

>> Most produce is seasonal and some also very localized, especially
>> artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
>> primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
>> grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.
>>

>I saw them in a grocery store here a week or two ago. That is a rare
>sighting for me. They are all but non-existent around here.

I am not sure if you can grown them as far north as you are- you
probably can with careful planning. You can certainly grow them as an
annual here in NJ where I am.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2021 3:17 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
>>> nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

>> nb

There's some poor trimming of the post since I'm the one who actually
wrote about finding nice artichokes at Walmart, not nb. Yes, the
WalMart near me happened to have some nice produce and yes, artichokes.
It's all trucked in.

> Most produce is seasonal

Of course it is.

> and some also very localized, especially
> artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
> primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
> grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.

Yes, artichokes are very localized to California and areas with a
totally different climate and soil. What we eat are thistle blooms.

Finding some nice artichokes at the nearby Walmart once is not enough to
make me change where I shop for food or buy produce. I simply do not
like shopping at Walmart.

Oh, look! This is an old article from the RFC website I wrote about
artichokes:

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/tips/artichokes.html

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> >> nb

> There's some poor trimming of the post since I'm the one who actually
> wrote about finding nice artichokes at Walmart, not nb. Yes, the
> WalMart near me happened to have some nice produce and yes, artichokes.
> It's all trucked in.
>
> > Most produce is seasonal

> Of course it is.
> > and some also very localized, especially
> > artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
> > primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
> > grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.
> >

> Yes, artichokes are very localized to California and areas with a
> totally different climate and soil. What we eat are thistle blooms.
>
> Finding some nice artichokes at the nearby Walmart once is not enough to
> make me change where I shop for food or buy produce. I simply do not
> like shopping at Walmart.
>
> Oh, look! This is an old article from the RFC website I wrote about
> artichokes:

Gee, i've never tried fried artichokes (artichauts frits).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Mar 23, , jmcquown wrote
(in article >):

> Oh, look! This is an old article from the RFC website I wrote about
> artichokes:
>
> http://www.recfoodcooking.org/tips/artichokes.html

We are just over the hill from artichoke country. They are nearly always
available at a price. Even here, and in season, getting a decent sized one on
sale costs about two bucks.
I read your article and agree with it. I do two things differently. I donīt
remove the choke until I have peeled and eaten the leaves right up to it. The
closer you get to the choke, the more edible the leaves become.
Then I use a sharp knife to cut the choke away from the heart, slice the
heart into bite-sized pieces and eat it. The heart is the best part.
Oh...and I steam a decent sized choke for forty-five minutes. The monsters I
took a picture of a couple of weeks ago were steamed for an hour. But
thatīs just me.

leo

[TN] '95 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 19-06-2009 09:02 PM
[TN] '90 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 10-01-2009 04:09 PM
Baron de Oņa GR 1998 Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 0 25-01-2008 09:39 PM
Pichon Baron '97 graham[_1_] Wine 1 12-08-2007 03:54 PM
Baron of Beef for 120 [email protected] Barbecue 2 25-10-2006 04:58 PM