Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Red Baron (brand) Fail

On 3/6/2021 10:36 AM, US Janet wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 09:21:25 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Some years ago I bought a box of Red Baron brand 'Scrambles'. They are
>> small individual size breakfast "pizzas", two per box. I recall they
>> were pretty good so last week I bought another box. Uh oh.
>>
>> I went on the company website and sent them an email. I wrote:
>>
>> "Used to be the Scrambles breakfast pizza crisped up just fine in the
>> microwave. They each came with a little grey crisping tray that went up
>> the sides of the crust. Now all you have is a little round disc which
>> doesn't do a darn thing to promote "crisping" in the microwave. I am
>> highly disappointed in this change. I'll bake the one remaining
>> Scrambles (too bad I don't own a toaster oven) but after this I will not
>> buy this product again."
>>
>> I got an almost immediate response:
>>
>> "My apologies for the concern with the pizzas and your disappointment.
>>
>> When you are shopping for the breakfast scrambles, be sure to check the
>> Product Identification Code printed by the best use by date. If the
>> code starts with 7F, the round microwave tray will be included. If the
>> code starts with 31, the square microwave tray will be included.
>>
>> I am mailing you a complimentary coupon for another product which should
>> arrive within the next 3 weeks.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Andrea
>> Consumer Experience Representative"
>>
>> WTH? I replied:
>>
>> "Thank you, but do you really expect me (or any consumer) to know this
>> and check each product code before selecting an item off the freezer
>> shelf? Why make it so difficult for the consumer? That's called making
>> people jump through hoops. Or making excuses for why you changed the
>> product design.
>>
>> Thanks, but I really don't want a coupon. I will bake the other one and
>> will not be buying this product again."
>>
>> Their response was:
>>
>> "Your additional comments have been added to our report which has been
>> sent to our Quality Assurance Team. If you change your mind about
>> getting the coupon, let us know."
>>
>> Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm glad you stuck with it. BTW, which code gets you the trays with
> sides? Your responder didn't seem to address that. Customer input is
> the only way they understand the weak spots in their product.
> Janet US

Oh, she did. She wrote "If the code starts with 7F, the round microwave
tray will be included. If the code starts with 31, the square microwave
tray will be included." So you want the one that starts with 31.

I ask you, is a consumer supposed to know what those product codes
represent? I don't think so. But you're right. The only way they'll
know is if people get in touch and provide feedback. I'm not a totally
negative Nelly, either. If I really like a product I also let the
company know.

Jill