Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '95 Pichon-Baron

Tonight, I came home to find Jean preparing a dinner of ribeyes, corn on
the cob and Tater Tots (catering to Andrew's food preferences) --
actually the steaks were waiting for me to grill, which I did. When we
sat down to dinner, I was greeted with a brown-bagged bottle:

1995 Ch. Pichon-Longueville Baron
color: dark garnet center going brick on the edges
nose: initially, pencil lead and dark fruit; after a splash decant, mint
and cedar
palate: somewhat closed in, cassis, slightly coarse tannins that
softened after the decant

Of course, I was asked to guess what I was drinking. My first thought
was Bordeaux, but I switched to a structured CalCab (of which we have a
few) after failing to get much in the way of the secondary
characteristics I usually get in Bordeaux (earthy, herbal) and getting
clear Cabernet Sauvignon character. My final guess was of a '94
California Cabernet. When I saw that it was a '95 Pauillac, I didn't
feel too bad about my acumen, but I was still surprised at the relative
simplicity of the wine. We saved half the bottle for later evaluation
to see how it would evolve.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '95 Pichon-Baron

On Jun 18, 11:53*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, I came home to find Jean preparing a dinner of ribeyes, corn on
> the cob and Tater Tots (catering to Andrew's food preferences) --
> actually the steaks were waiting for me to grill, which I did. *When we
> sat down to dinner, I was greeted with a brown-bagged bottle:
>
> 1995 Ch. Pichon-Longueville Baron
> color: dark garnet center going brick on the edges
> nose: initially, pencil lead and dark fruit; after a splash decant, mint
> and cedar
> palate: somewhat closed in, cassis, slightly coarse tannins that
> softened after the decant
>
> Of course, I was asked to guess what I was drinking. *My first thought
> was Bordeaux, but I switched to a structured CalCab (of which we have a
> few) after failing to get much in the way of the secondary
> characteristics I usually get in Bordeaux (earthy, herbal) and getting
> clear Cabernet Sauvignon character. *My final guess was of a '94
> California Cabernet. *When I saw that it was a '95 Pauillac, I didn't
> feel too bad about my acumen, but I was still surprised at the relative
> simplicity of the wine. *We saved half the bottle for later evaluation
> to see how it would evolve.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

thanks for the note. Slightly disappointing, as Pichon Baron is only
"serious" '95 Medoc I own (I have Dauzac and Meyney too). I'll wait a
few years and hope something develops
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> thanks for the note. Slightly disappointing, as Pichon Baron is only
> "serious" '95 Medoc I own (I have Dauzac and Meyney too). I'll wait a
> few years and hope something develops

Yeah, no hurry on this (Jean's a less patient soul than I am). We're in
a similar strait, having only IIRC a couple of bottles of the
Haut-Marbuzet from that year.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote .......

> (Jean's a less patient soul than I am).

Aha - Jean sounds like my kind of woman!

Isn't there some research project you can arrange together downunder?

1995 and 2000 Chateau Pichon-Baron Bi!! Wine 1 29-06-2016 08:35 PM
[TN] '90 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 10-01-2009 03:09 PM
Pichon Baron '97 graham[_1_] Wine 1 12-08-2007 03:54 PM
TN: '79 Pichon Baron, '05 Huet, '93 Bouchard, etc DaleW Wine 9 23-01-2007 08:20 PM
My 1996 Pichon-Longueville Baron experience Vincent Wine 5 11-08-2004 04:03 PM