Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Red Baron (brand) Fail

On 3/23/2021 3:17 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2021 15:02:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> When I went to the produce department at WalMart the last time it was
>>> nice. They had some really nice fresh artichokes.

>> nb

There's some poor trimming of the post since I'm the one who actually
wrote about finding nice artichokes at Walmart, not nb. Yes, the
WalMart near me happened to have some nice produce and yes, artichokes.
It's all trucked in.

> Most produce is seasonal

Of course it is.

> and some also very localized, especially
> artichokes. Artichokes are a thistle and in the US are grown
> primarily in coastal California... not a crop for the home gardener or
> grown in a greenhouse... why they're kind of pricey for what they are.

Yes, artichokes are very localized to California and areas with a
totally different climate and soil. What we eat are thistle blooms.

Finding some nice artichokes at the nearby Walmart once is not enough to
make me change where I shop for food or buy produce. I simply do not
like shopping at Walmart.

Oh, look! This is an old article from the RFC website I wrote about
artichokes:

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/tips/artichokes.html

Jill