General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,923
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,393
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well, the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,166
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 4:22:51 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well, the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/


Probably not most. That chain is limited to the Southwest.

I'm not a schnitzel fan, but this is my favorite German restaurant:

https://www.metzgers.net/

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,923
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 4:22:51 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well, the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/


we call hot dogs here wieners some times. a wiener is just something or someone from vienna(wien) a frankfurter from frankfurt, a hamburger from...
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 555
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 13:02:34 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
wrote:

by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.



OMG I have never in my life had a wiener or a schnitzel... Meat is
murder, even if it tastes super duper delicious and give me the
protein and nutrients that a growing boy like myself needs. Meat is
still murder, but hey if you give me some bacon I just may look the
other way

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 09:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5,617
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 dsi1 wrote:

I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog.


Here we go with the ukeleli MOST people... what a brainless twit.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,923
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 4:45:08 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 4:22:51 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well, the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/


Probably not most. That chain is limited to the Southwest.

I'm not a schnitzel fan, but this is my favorite German restaurant:

https://www.metzgers.net/

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton


they've got a good solid menu.

the twin goblets or now it's called the two goblets is pretty good here. it's best described as a european restaurant. we also had the berlin restaurant(kitchener was called berlin at one time; up until 1916), but it lasted only about 2 years.

http://twogoblets.com/

  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,923
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 5:16:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 13:02:34 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
wrote:

by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.



OMG I have never in my life had a wiener or a schnitzel... Meat is
murder, even if it tastes super duper delicious and give me the
protein and nutrients that a growing boy like myself needs. Meat is
still murder, but hey if you give me some bacon I just may look the
other way

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____


when you plow fields and kill moles, worms, snakes etc. what is that? even if you only eat vegan. animals are killed while tending crops. what do you do if a wild hog(s)invades your cornfields? out comes the rifle.
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 3,668
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel



"dsi1" wrote in message
...

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal
there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are
known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because
i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel
was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came
in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a
fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan
fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?)
think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well,
the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

==

I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
isn't a hot dog

It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think in
Germany they use veal.



  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-03-2019, 10:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 32,283
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On 3/16/2019 5:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:


"dsi1"* wrote in message
...

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria.* the veal
there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on.* they
are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
because i wasn't that hungry.* on the menu it was advertised that the
schnitzel was veal.* oh.* that's nice.* what i got was a preformed
patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried.* what
a disappointment.* a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been
so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it.* it is
pan fried in butter and veggie oil.* most places, even european places
tend to deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
(most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies
to, well, the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

==

I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
isn't a hot dog

It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
in Germany they use veal.


I doubt anything he says about what "Americans" think. No doubt he
Googled and found this as the first hit:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

Doesn't make it so!

It's traditionally made with veal. Pork and chicken work well, too.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/wiener...recipe-1447089

Jill
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2019, 12:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11,126
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:47:16 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 3/16/2019 5:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:


"dsi1"* wrote in message
...

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria.* the veal
there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on.* they
are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
because i wasn't that hungry.* on the menu it was advertised that the
schnitzel was veal.* oh.* that's nice.* what i got was a preformed
patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried.* what
a disappointment.* a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been
so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it.* it is
pan fried in butter and veggie oil.* most places, even european places
tend to deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
(most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies
to, well, the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

==

I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
isn't a hot dog

It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
in Germany they use veal.


I doubt anything he says about what "Americans" think. No doubt he
Googled and found this as the first hit:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

Doesn't make it so!

It's traditionally made with veal. Pork and chicken work well, too.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/wiener...recipe-1447089


And don't forget, when you say goodbye to a German:
"Aufwienerschnitzel!" Which basically means "until the next time we'll
have dinner together".
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2019, 12:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,393
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:56:57 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 4:22:51 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.


I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well, the entire world.

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/


we call hot dogs here wieners some times. a wiener is just something or someone from vienna(wien) a frankfurter from frankfurt, a hamburger from....


Beats me why a restaurant on the mainland would call itself "Weinerschnitzel" and not serve any cutlets. The ways of the white man are mysterious. I think they are insane.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2019, 12:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 4:02:38 PM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to deep fry.


My best ever was in Slovenia. It was served with mashed potatoes that had fried onions mixed in. I tried to duplicate the potato /onion dish but was not able to.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wiener schnitzel deutschemadchen General Cooking 60 23-12-2008 09:36 PM
Wiener Stew devoid[_2_] General Cooking 0 24-06-2007 01:11 PM
NY System Wiener Sauce Grey Witche Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 08:53 PM
Schnitzel Ideas? Kate B General Cooking 14 14-03-2006 10:46 PM
Wiener Schnitzel frying question Bob (this one) General Cooking 4 05-12-2004 12:44 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017