Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 21:03:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 20:35:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> "dsi1" wrote in message

>>> I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
>>> (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
>>> apologies to, well, the entire world.
>>>
>>> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
>>> it isn't a hot dog
>>>
>>> It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
>>> think in Germany they use veal.

>>Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
>>confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
>>well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
>>mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
>>==
>>
>>If you are talking about this:
>>
>>> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

>>I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family
>>in
>>Germany and visit often
>>
>>As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a
>>bit
>>of a giggle about all this )

>To be honest, I only really know one German and he has a good sense of
>humour.
>
>==
>
>I don't know about German humour and my grands are part English but ... he
>laughed anyway)

Good
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 20:41:42 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:10:15 -0700 (PDT), Sanne wrote:

> >> Bruce was making a joke. He's from the Netherlands; I imagine he
> >> understands enough German to make that joke.

> >I'm German. Not even a decent play of words there.

> Stuck up and serious. You represent your country well.

Wow. I didn't know I'm elected German Bundeskanzler now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:35:39 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
> > > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
> > > veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
> > > as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
> > > on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
> > > wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
> > > advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
> > > got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
> > > things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
> > > chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
> > > way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
> > > butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
> > > deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> > (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
> > apologies to, well, the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
> > it isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
> > think in Germany they use veal.

> Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
> confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
> well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
> mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
> ==
>
> If you are talking about this:
>
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

> I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family in
> Germany and visit often
>
> As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a bit
> of a giggle about all this )

I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they have ties to Germany. My wife knows what they are - she used to live in Germany and her mom used to make wiener schnitzel. As far as Germany goes, my daddy likes the Germans. He says they're a lot more friendly than the Swedes, who tend to be sourpusses. Ha ha, well he ought to know - he married a Swede.

Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but she somehow became an associate professor of Hawaiian language/studies and a much beloved Hawaiian singer. That's the way it is on this rock - everything is all mixed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIvSd2hDPTI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:36:54 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 20:41:42 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:

>> >I'm German. Not even a decent play of words there.

>> Stuck up and serious. You represent your country well.

>Wow. I didn't know I'm elected German Bundeskanzler now.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Frau Bundeskanzler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 11:07:57 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:26:21 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > > Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

> > Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in Hawaii. It
> > is
> > made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened slightly, dredged in
> > flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko, and fried. It is typically
> > served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce made with ketchup, Worcestershire
> > sauce, shoyu, and other ingredients.
> >
> > My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in the
> > early
> > 60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of beef into cracker
> > crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum tray and would make a
> > scrunching sound that was embedded in my brain and I can still remember to
> > this day.
> >
> > The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had it's
> > origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the sailors from
> > Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans learned to make
> > cutlets from the traditions brought over from Europe by immigrants. The
> > Hawaiians learned to make it from the Americans and Japanese. In the end,
> > it's all schnitzels.
> >
> > https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Thank looks lovely) Katsu sauce please? )

> I don't usually make chicken katsu or katsu sauce. Almost every restaurant
> in this burg serves chicken katsu so I use the sauce they make. At home, I
> use Bull-Dog brand tonkatsu sauce. You might have a hard time finding
> tonkatsu sauce in the UK so here's what I'd do if I had to. Just mix
> everything up.
>
> 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1 T Worcestershire sauce
> 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
>
> ---
>
> Thanks very much At what point do you add it?

You can drizzle it on the cutlet or dip. I'm mostly a dipper. The cutlet is served cut up which allows the diner to eat it with chopsticks. My guess is that wiener schnitzel is not served cut up - nor is it eaten with chopsticks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:53:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:35:39 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
>> confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
>> well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
>> mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
>> ==
>>
>> If you are talking about this:
>>
>> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

>> I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family in
>> Germany and visit often
>>
>> As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a bit
>> of a giggle about all this )

>I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they have ties to Germany.

Australians call it a schnitty and it's popular pub food. "Tuesday
Night, Schnitty Night!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 22:54:12 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:36:54 -0700 (PDT), Sanne wrote:

> >> Stuck up and serious. You represent your country well.

> >Wow. I didn't know I'm elected German Bundeskanzler now.

> Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Frau Bundeskanzler!

Finally -some decent German!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:58:45 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 22:54:12 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:

>> >Wow. I didn't know I'm elected German Bundeskanzler now.

>> Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Frau Bundeskanzler!

>Finally -some decent German!

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-17 5:53 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless
> they have ties to Germany. My wife knows what they are - she used to
> live in Germany and her mom used to make wiener schnitzel. As far as
> Germany goes, my daddy likes the Germans. He says they're a lot more
> friendly than the Swedes, who tend to be sourpusses. Ha ha, well he
> ought to know - he married a Swede.

While you are American, I am close to the US than you are, and I am
doubting that you are correct about there. There is no doubt that they
are astounding levels of ignorance in the country and there are likely
pockets of recent immigrants and some native born Americans who may not
be familiar with it. It would be my guess that the average American
would be familiar with Wienerschnitizel. I might suggest that they know
it is made with veal, and that they assume that it would be veal. They
might be surprised to learn that most schnitzel is actually pork.

> Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but she somehow
> became an associate professor of Hawaiian language/studies and a much
> beloved Hawaiian singer. That's the way it is on this rock -
> everything is all mixed up.

Everything on that island is mixed up? That might explain some of claims
you make here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 18:29:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-17 5:53 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless
>> they have ties to Germany. My wife knows what they are - she used to
>> live in Germany and her mom used to make wiener schnitzel. As far as
>> Germany goes, my daddy likes the Germans. He says they're a lot more
>> friendly than the Swedes, who tend to be sourpusses. Ha ha, well he
>> ought to know - he married a Swede.

>While you are American, I am close to the US than you are

He is IN the US.

>, and I am
>doubting that you are correct about there. There is no doubt that they
>are astounding levels of ignorance in the country and there are likely
>pockets of recent immigrants and some native born Americans who may not
>be familiar with it. It would be my guess that the average American
>would be familiar with Wienerschnitizel.

Wienerschnitzel! What is a schnitizel?

>I might suggest that they know
>it is made with veal, and that they assume that it would be veal. They
>might be surprised to learn that most schnitzel is actually pork.
>
>> Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but she somehow
>> became an associate professor of Hawaiian language/studies and a much
>> beloved Hawaiian singer. That's the way it is on this rock -
>> everything is all mixed up.
>>

>Everything on that island is mixed up? That might explain some of claims
>you make here.

Your writing is deteriorating. Let's hope you just switched to a new
mobile phone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 12:27:54 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-17 5:53 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>
> > I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless
> > they have ties to Germany. My wife knows what they are - she used to
> > live in Germany and her mom used to make wiener schnitzel. As far as
> > Germany goes, my daddy likes the Germans. He says they're a lot more
> > friendly than the Swedes, who tend to be sourpusses. Ha ha, well he
> > ought to know - he married a Swede.

> While you are American, I am close to the US than you are, and I am
> doubting that you are correct about there. There is no doubt that they
> are astounding levels of ignorance in the country and there are likely
> pockets of recent immigrants and some native born Americans who may not
> be familiar with it. It would be my guess that the average American
> would be familiar with Wienerschnitizel. I might suggest that they know
> it is made with veal, and that they assume that it would be veal. They
> might be surprised to learn that most schnitzel is actually pork.

Americans certainly know what wiener schnitzels are. They do not call it "wiener schnitzels" they call it pork cutlet or beef cutlet or chicken cutlet or even veal cutlet. American mostly know "Wienerschnitzel" as place that serves hot dogs and other non-trendy greasy foods. My suggestion is that you leave your burg immediately and head down South so you can find out for yourself.

Perhaps you could open your very own Wienerschnitzel in your little town and sell veal cutlets instead of hot dogs to your people. I must warn you that corporate ain't going to appreciate that!

https://franchise.wienerschnitzel.co...chising-why-us

> > Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but she somehow
> > became an associate professor of Hawaiian language/studies and a much
> > beloved Hawaiian singer. That's the way it is on this rock -
> > everything is all mixed up.
> >

> Everything on that island is mixed up? That might explain some of claims
> you make here.

I see you consider yourself an expert on other people's country. I can't accept that. Sorry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-03-17 4:00 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> > > It's amazing living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific leads
> > > him to assume that people on the mainland weinershnitzel with
> > > weiners. Maybe there are some people with the IQ and ignorance
> > > of a Hawaiian who don't know the difference. Maybe there is a
> > > difference in regional pronunciation. Around here hot dogs are
> > > wienrs with a W, but Weinerschnitzel starts with a V sound.

> > I'm not up on cooking it but Weinerschnitzel is veal. A sort of
> > breaded type right? Pounded flat.
> >

> Sheldon says the real deal is not pounded, though every recipe I have
> seen calls for pounding. At any rate, it was about the pronunciation,
> saying it as a V for the schnitzel and as a W for the hot dog wiener.
> And FWIW, in German, Vienna is Wien.

Either way, it's silly. Apparently if you goggle mainland you get some
hot dog place and think we all think that flat pounded and breaded
(known as chicken fried steak here) is a sausage hot dog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
> >> by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
> >> veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
> >> as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
> >> on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
> >> wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
> >> advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
> >> got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
> >> things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
> >> chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
> >> way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
> >> butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
> >> deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> > (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
> > apologies to, well, the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
> > it isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
> > think in Germany they use veal.

> Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
> confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
> well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by
> a mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
> ==
>
> If you are talking about this:
>
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

> I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have
> family in Germany and visit often
>
> As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is
> having a bit of a giggle about all this )

Not to worry. We here know the real thing. We just call it another
name that is even more confusing. We call it chicken fried steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 12:27:54 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2019-03-17 5:53 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is
> > > unless they have ties to Germany. My wife knows what they are -
> > > she used to live in Germany and her mom used to make wiener
> > > schnitzel. As far as Germany goes, my daddy likes the Germans. He
> > > says they're a lot more friendly than the Swedes, who tend to be
> > > sourpusses. Ha ha, well he ought to know - he married a Swede.

> > While you are American, I am close to the US than you are, and I
> > am doubting that you are correct about there. There is no doubt
> > that they are astounding levels of ignorance in the country and
> > there are likely pockets of recent immigrants and some native born
> > Americans who may not be familiar with it. It would be my guess
> > that the average American would be familiar with Wienerschnitizel.
> > I might suggest that they know it is made with veal, and that they
> > assume that it would be veal. They might be surprised to learn that
> > most schnitzel is actually pork.
> >

> Americans certainly know what wiener schnitzels are. They do not call
> it "wiener schnitzels" they call it pork cutlet or beef cutlet or
> chicken cutlet or even veal cutlet. American mostly know
> "Wienerschnitzel" as place that serves hot dogs and other non-trendy
> greasy foods. My suggestion is that you leave your burg immediately
> and head down South so you can find out for yourself.
>
> Perhaps you could open your very own Wienerschnitzel in your little
> town and sell veal cutlets instead of hot dogs to your people. I must
> warn you that corporate ain't going to appreciate that!
>
> https://franchise.wienerschnitzel.co...chising-why-us
>

> > > Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but she
> > > somehow became an associate professor of Hawaiian
> > > language/studies and a much beloved Hawaiian singer. That's the
> > > way it is on this rock - everything is all mixed up.
> > >

> > Everything on that island is mixed up? That might explain some of
> > claims you make here.

> I see you consider yourself an expert on other people's country. I
> can't accept that. Sorry.

Sorry but you consider yourself an expert on mainland USA and get it
wrong most of the time.

We ask what you eat. In return you tend to misreport what we eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:26:21 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > > Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

> > Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in
> > Hawaii. It is made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened
> > slightly, dredged in flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko,
> > and fried. It is typically served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce
> > made with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, shoyu, and other
> > ingredients.
> >
> > My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in
> > the early 60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of
> > beef into cracker crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum
> > tray and would make a scrunching sound that was embedded in my
> > brain and I can still remember to this day.
> >
> > The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had
> > it's origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the
> > sailors from Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans
> > learned to make cutlets from the traditions brought over from
> > Europe by immigrants. The Hawaiians learned to make it from the
> > Americans and Japanese. In the end, it's all schnitzels.
> >
> > https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Thank looks lovely) Katsu sauce please? )

> I don't usually make chicken katsu or katsu sauce. Almost every
> restaurant in this burg serves chicken katsu so I use the sauce they
> make. At home, I use Bull-Dog brand tonkatsu sauce. You might have a
> hard time finding tonkatsu sauce in the UK so here's what I'd do if I
> had to. Just mix everything up.
>
> 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1 T Worcestershire sauce
> 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce

ewww

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 19:26:38 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > "dsi1" wrote in message

>> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
>> > (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
>> > apologies to, well, the entire world.
>> >
>> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
>> > it isn't a hot dog
>> >
>> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
>> > think in Germany they use veal.

>> Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
>> confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
>> well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by
>> a mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
>> ==
>>
>> If you are talking about this:
>>
>> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

>> I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have
>> family in Germany and visit often
>>
>> As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is
>> having a bit of a giggle about all this )

>Not to worry. We here know the real thing. We just call it another
>name that is even more confusing. We call it chicken fried steak.

That's strange. I understand that you can replace veal with another
meat without specifying that. So you still call it a wienerschnitzel,
although it isn't. But to say that a wienerschnitzel IS a chicken
fried steak is more than confusing. That's just not true.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 2:36:19 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Sorry but you consider yourself an expert on mainland USA and get it
> wrong most of the time.
>
> We ask what you eat. In return you tend to misreport what we eat.

By your logic, a person can be knowledgeable about the food only in the states they've lived in. You certainly have the right to believe whatever you want.

I like to believe that Americans are pretty much experts on American foods. If you want to believe that a Canadian knows more about American foods, than an American, you can believe that too. What's it to me? Nuttin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:35:39 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
> > > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
> > > veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
> > > as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
> > > on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
> > > wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
> > > advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
> > > got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
> > > things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
> > > chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
> > > way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
> > > butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
> > > deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> > (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
> > apologies to, well, the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
> > it isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
> > think in Germany they use veal.

> Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
> confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
> well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
> mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
> ==
>
> If you are talking about this:
>
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

> I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family
> in
> Germany and visit often
>
> As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a
> bit
> of a giggle about all this )

I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they
have ties to Germany. My wife knows what they are - she used to live in
Germany and her mom used to make wiener schnitzel. As far as Germany goes,
my daddy likes the Germans. He says they're a lot more friendly than the
Swedes, who tend to be sourpusses. Ha ha, well he ought to know - he married
a Swede.

lol I guess))

Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but she somehow became
an associate professor of Hawaiian language/studies and a much beloved
Hawaiian singer. That's the way it is on this rock - everything is all mixed
up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIvSd2hDPTI

Lovely

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:53:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:35:39 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
>> confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
>> well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
>> mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
>> ==
>>
>> If you are talking about this:
>>
>> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

>> I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family
>> in
>> Germany and visit often
>>
>> As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a
>> bit
>> of a giggle about all this )

>I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they
>have ties to Germany.

Australians call it a schnitty and it's popular pub food. "Tuesday
Night, Schnitty Night!"
==

Yuck ... lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 11:07:57 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:26:21 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > > Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

> > Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in Hawaii.
> > It
> > is
> > made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened slightly, dredged
> > in
> > flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko, and fried. It is typically
> > served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce made with ketchup, Worcestershire
> > sauce, shoyu, and other ingredients.
> >
> > My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in the
> > early
> > 60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of beef into cracker
> > crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum tray and would make a
> > scrunching sound that was embedded in my brain and I can still remember
> > this day.
> >
> > The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had it's
> > origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the sailors from
> > Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans learned to make
> > cutlets from the traditions brought over from Europe by immigrants. The
> > Hawaiians learned to make it from the Americans and Japanese. In the
> > end,
> > it's all schnitzels.
> >
> > https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Thank looks lovely) Katsu sauce please? )

> I don't usually make chicken katsu or katsu sauce. Almost every restaurant
> in this burg serves chicken katsu so I use the sauce they make. At home, I
> use Bull-Dog brand tonkatsu sauce. You might have a hard time finding
> tonkatsu sauce in the UK so here's what I'd do if I had to. Just mix
> everything up.
>
> 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1 T Worcestershire sauce
> 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
>
> ---
>
> Thanks very much At what point do you add it?

You can drizzle it on the cutlet or dip. I'm mostly a dipper. The cutlet is
served cut up which allows the diner to eat it with chopsticks. My guess is
that wiener schnitzel is not served cut up - nor is it eaten with
chopsticks.

==

Yes, it might be a wee bit difficult <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
> >> by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
> >> veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
> >> as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
> >> on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
> >> wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
> >> advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
> >> got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
> >> things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
> >> chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
> >> way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
> >> butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
> >> deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> > (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
> > apologies to, well, the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
> > it isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
> > think in Germany they use veal.

> Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
> confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
> well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by
> a mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
> ==
>
> If you are talking about this:
>
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

> I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have
> family in Germany and visit often
>
> As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is
> having a bit of a giggle about all this )

Not to worry. We here know the real thing. We just call it another
name that is even more confusing. We call it chicken fried steak.

=====

AHAAA!! I never knew what that was)) Now I do, so thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:53:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but
>she somehow became an associate professor of Hawaiian language/studies
>and a much beloved Hawaiian singer. That's the way it is on this rock
>- everything is all mixed up.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIvSd2hDPTI

"ahi ahi", does that mean it's a song about tuna?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:13:25 PM UTC-4, Sanne wrote:

> > >Bullshit.

> > Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

> As long as there is some. But your "pun" just isn't funny.

Humor is cultural. His pun sounds like something Bugs Bunny would say.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 4:41:21 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-17 4:00 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> >> It's amazing living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific leads him
> >> to assume that people on the mainland weinershnitzel with weiners.
> >> Maybe there are some people with the IQ and ignorance of a Hawaiian
> >> who don't know the difference. Maybe there is a difference in
> >> regional pronunciation. Around here hot dogs are wienrs with a W, but
> >> Weinerschnitzel starts with a V sound.

> > I'm not up on cooking it but Weinerschnitzel is veal. A sort of
> > breaded type right? Pounded flat.
> >

> Sheldon says the real deal is not pounded, though every recipe I have
> seen calls for pounding. At any rate, it was about the pronunciation,
> saying it as a V for the schnitzel and as a W for the hot dog wiener.
> And FWIW, in German, Vienna is Wien.

You are correct. I was "thinking" with my ears.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 5:53:21 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:35:39 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> > > (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
> > > apologies to, well, the entire world.
> > >
> > > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
> > > it isn't a hot dog
> > >
> > > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
> > > think in Germany they use veal.

> > Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
> > confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
> > well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
> > mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
> > ==
> >
> > If you are talking about this:
> >
> > > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

> > I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family in
> > Germany and visit often
> >
> > As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a bit
> > of a giggle about all this )

> I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they have ties to Germany.

You're probably right. RFC is not average, and I suffer from sample bias
because Ann Arbor was largely settled by Germans.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:16:41 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:53:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >Sistah Robi Kahakalau was born and raised in Germany but
> >she somehow became an associate professor of Hawaiian language/studies
> >and a much beloved Hawaiian singer. That's the way it is on this rock
> >- everything is all mixed up.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIvSd2hDPTI

> "ahi ahi", does that mean it's a song about tuna?

Ahiahi means the evening time. That's about all I know about that. The song is an old traditional Hawaiian mele in the traditional form i.e., no chorus or bridge. Typically the verses are sung 2 times in a row before going on to the next verse which is also repeated. It's a simple structure that is popular in contemporary Hawaiian music. Curiously, this tune has been adapted for the church.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxh9QIM3D9Y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:45:51 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>> > I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they have ties to Germany.

>> You're probably right. RFC is not average, and I suffer from sample bias
>> because Ann Arbor was largely settled by Germans.

>True enough for me. I've always heard the word (or is it two
>words)? But never actually eaten or made anything using that
>word. I was surprised to see it's something that I've had often
>but just called a different name.

Cheeseburger?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they have ties to Germany.

> You're probably right. RFC is not average, and I suffer from sample bias
> because Ann Arbor was largely settled by Germans.

True enough for me. I've always heard the word (or is it two
words)? But never actually eaten or made anything using that
word. I was surprised to see it's something that I've had often
but just called a different name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Montag, 18. März 2019 11:27:31 UTC+1 schrieb Cindy Hamilton:
> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:13:25 PM UTC-4, Sanne wrote:

> > > Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

> > As long as there is some. But your "pun" just isn't funny.

> Humor is cultural. His pun sounds like something Bugs Bunny would say.

Please, don't insult Bugs Bunny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:45:51 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>> > I doubt the average American knows what a wiener schnitzel is unless they have ties to Germany.

>> You're probably right. RFC is not average, and I suffer from sample bias
>> because Ann Arbor was largely settled by Germans.

>True enough for me. I've always heard the word (or is it two
>words)? But never actually eaten or made anything using that
>word. I was surprised to see it's something that I've had often
>but just called a different name.

Every ethnicity prepares a dish similar to wiener schnitzel...
Italians top a fried breaded cutlet with tomato sauce and mozz and
broil it till melted, served in a sandwich or atop pasta; refered to
on the menu as Chicken/Veal Parm. I often order take out; saw-seege
parm on Italian bread w/peppers... my wife orders meat-a-ball parm on
Italian bread. The saw-seege and meat-a-balls are sliced. At home I
prepare fried chicken cutlets often, there's no pounding involved, I
slice each skinless boneless chicken breast into 3-4 cutlets. I don't
bread them, I prefer dusting lightly with seasoned Wondra. I always
have containers of homemade tomato sauce in the freezer but most times
we eat them plain cut into strips on a salad or in a sandwich with
mayo. lettuce, and tomato... a CLT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:21:11 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Montag, 18. März 2019 11:27:31 UTC+1 schrieb Cindy Hamilton:

>> > As long as there is some. But your "pun" just isn't funny.

>> Humor is cultural. His pun sounds like something Bugs Bunny would say.

>Please, don't insult Bugs Bunny.

Why do you get so angry over a joke you don't find funny?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:15:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, it might be a wee bit difficult <g>

Anybody can make Japanese katsu or Austrian schnitzels. To make katsu, cut the cutlet up and serve with katsu sauce. To make schnitzel, don't cut up the cutlet and serve with lemons.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...schnitzel-day/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:15:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, it might be a wee bit difficult <g>

Anybody can make Japanese katsu or Austrian schnitzels. To make katsu, cut
the cutlet up and serve with katsu sauce. To make schnitzel, don't cut up
the cutlet and serve with lemons.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...schnitzel-day/

==

All sounds good to me)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Montag, 18. März 2019 16:59:35 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:21:11 -0700 (PDT), Sanne wrote:

> >> Humor is cultural. His pun sounds like something Bugs Bunny would say..

> >Please, don't insult Bugs Bunny.

> Why do you get so angry over a joke you don't find funny?

You've never seen me angry.

Why do you care so much if someone doesn't agree with you?

And why do you react with personal insults frequently? Including the birth-place, in my case?

I hereby apologize for the "Bullshit"; that was harsh. But judging on all
Germans not having a sense of humor by that? Hello?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 13:35:34 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Montag, 18. März 2019 16:59:35 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:

>> >Please, don't insult Bugs Bunny.

>> Why do you get so angry over a joke you don't find funny?

>You've never seen me angry.
>
>Why do you care so much if someone doesn't agree with you?
>
>And why do you react with personal insults frequently? Including the birth-place, in my case?
>
>I hereby apologize for the "Bullshit"; that was harsh. But judging on all
>Germans not having a sense of humor by that? Hello?

I admit it was a generalisation. All the Germans in RFC have no sense
of humor. Is that better?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Montag, 18. März 2019 22:00:42 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 13:35:34 -0700 (PDT), Sanne wrote:

> >> Why do you get so angry over a joke you don't find funny?

> >You've never seen me angry.
> >
> >Why do you care so much if someone doesn't agree with you?
> >
> >And why do you react with personal insults frequently? Including the birth-place, in my case?
> >
> >I hereby apologize for the "Bullshit"; that was harsh. But judging on all
> >Germans not having a sense of humor by that? Hello?

> I admit it was a generalisation. All the Germans in RFC have no sense
> of humor. Is that better?

No, "Nice Guy".
But thank you for proving my point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 14:09:56 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Montag, 18. März 2019 22:00:42 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:

>> >You've never seen me angry.
>> >
>> >Why do you care so much if someone doesn't agree with you?
>> >
>> >And why do you react with personal insults frequently? Including the birth-place, in my case?
>> >
>> >I hereby apologize for the "Bullshit"; that was harsh. But judging on all
>> >Germans not having a sense of humor by that? Hello?

>> I admit it was a generalisation. All the Germans in RFC have no sense
>> of humor. Is that better?

>No, "Nice Guy".
>But thank you for proving my point.

I don't know what your point is, but may I suggest you lighten up?
Nothing terrible happened.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2019 4:11 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 9:26:27 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

says...

wrote:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

>>> Not to some Americans, apparently.

>> I'm sure millions of people all over the world misspell words in
>> foreign languages that they do not speak. I get a chuckle every
>> time I read the menu in a Chinese restaurant.

>>> No. Or those old favourites "ala" rfc, "quisine" and "bullion".

>> I used to think that spelling should be easy for everybody. Each
>> word has a pattern, and I can easily see if the pattern is incorrect.
>>
>> Thirty years with a very intelligent dyslexic has taught me to
>> accept that it's sometimes not a person's fault if they cannot
>> spell or if they make other mistakes with language.
>>
>> It doesn't keep me from taking the mickey out of someone on Usenet,
>> though. That's pretty much always been the second or third purpose
>> of Usenet.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Have fun with me then. Dyslexics Untie! To this day, I have trouble
> with restaraunt. <--- hope that is right. Gasp though, probably not.

Restaurant.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 10:27:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:15:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it might be a wee bit difficult <g>

> Anybody can make Japanese katsu or Austrian schnitzels. To make katsu, cut
> the cutlet up and serve with katsu sauce. To make schnitzel, don't cut up
> the cutlet and serve with lemons.
>
> https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...schnitzel-day/
>
> ==
>
> All sounds good to me)

My boss and I ordered some equipment from Ardersier, Scotland on eBay. We was somewhat perplexed with the cost because it was in pounds. We are very sharp people but were fish out of water in this deal. I have some apprehension about when we're going to get the merch because the UK is so far away. Heck, China is closer than the UK.

I wrote a note to the boss saying that it might take a while to get here and hoping that the boat bringing it in won't get torpedoed by the Jerries.