Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default best and worst wiener schnitzel

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal
> > there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
> > the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are
> > known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
> > because
> > i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel
> > was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which
> > came
> > in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment.
> > fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
> > the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan
> > fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend
> > deep fry.

> I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?)
> think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well,
> the entire world.
>
> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>
> ==
>
> I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
> isn't a hot dog
>
> It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
> in
> Germany they use veal.

I have had meat cutlets but veal cutlets on this rock are rather rare. OTOH,
Japan style chicken cutlets are quite popular in Hawaii. I have made pork
cutlets but have never called it a wienerschnitzel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj2TcD8Bm0

==

Understood. It is probably a European thing

Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 9:04:44 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> > In article >,

says...

wrote:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

> > > Really? You don't think people would misspell words in their
> > > own language?

> > I doubt a first-language German speaker would.
> >
> > Wein and wien are not homophones, they rhyme with mine and mean.

> I know. And they mean, respectively, wine and Vienna.

Not to some Americans, apparently.

> But after years on Usenet, can you doubt that there are
> Americans who could misspell "restaurant" or "barbecue"?

No. Or those old favourites "ala" rfc, "quisine" and "bullion".

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 9:32:34 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal
> > > there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
> > > the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are
> > > known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
> > > because
> > > i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel
> > > was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which
> > > came
> > > in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment..
> > > fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
> > > the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan
> > > fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend
> > > deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?)
> > think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well,
> > the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
> > isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
> > in
> > Germany they use veal.

> I have had meat cutlets but veal cutlets on this rock are rather rare. OTOH,
> Japan style chicken cutlets are quite popular in Hawaii. I have made pork
> cutlets but have never called it a wienerschnitzel.

the term wiener schnitzel means a cutlet done Viennese style. basically it's a breaded veal cutlet pounded thin and breaded and fried. you can of course use other meats such as chick/pork, although to call it wiener schnitzel in austria is not allowed(if not made from veal). it can be called schnitzel wiener art.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj2TcD8Bm0
>
> ==
>
> Understood. It is probably a European thing
>
> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

ditto
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 9:32:34 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
> > > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal
> > > there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
> > > the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they
> > > are
> > > known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
> > > because
> > > i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the
> > > schnitzel
> > > was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which
> > > came
> > > in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment.
> > > fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
> > > the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is
> > > pan
> > > fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places
> > > tend
> > > deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> > (most?)
> > think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to,
> > well,
> > the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
> > isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
> > in
> > Germany they use veal.

> I have had meat cutlets but veal cutlets on this rock are rather rare.
> OTOH,
> Japan style chicken cutlets are quite popular in Hawaii. I have made pork
> cutlets but have never called it a wienerschnitzel.

the term wiener schnitzel means a cutlet done Viennese style. basically
it's a breaded veal cutlet pounded thin and breaded and fried. you can of
course use other meats such as chick/pork, although to call it wiener
schnitzel in austria is not allowed(if not made from veal). it can be
called schnitzel wiener art.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj2TcD8Bm0
>
> ==
>
> Understood. It is probably a European thing
>
> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

ditto

==

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

> > > I doubt a first-language German speaker would.
> > >
> > > Wein and wien are not homophones, they rhyme with mine and mean.

> > I know. And they mean, respectively, wine and Vienna.

> Not to some Americans, apparently.

I'm sure millions of people all over the world misspell words in
foreign languages that they do not speak. I get a chuckle every
time I read the menu in a Chinese restaurant.

> > But after years on Usenet, can you doubt that there are
> > Americans who could misspell "restaurant" or "barbecue"?

> No. Or those old favourites "ala" rfc, "quisine" and "bullion".

I used to think that spelling should be easy for everybody. Each
word has a pattern, and I can easily see if the pattern is incorrect.

Thirty years with a very intelligent dyslexic has taught me to
accept that it's sometimes not a person's fault if they cannot
spell or if they make other mistakes with language.

It doesn't keep me from taking the mickey out of someone on Usenet,
though. That's pretty much always been the second or third purpose
of Usenet.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-17 10:14 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I'm sure millions of people all over the world misspell words in
> foreign languages that they do not speak. I get a chuckle every
> time I read the menu in a Chinese restaurant.

I had to chuckle at some of the misspellings on menus I saw the first
time I went to Europe. In Germany and in France I saw soup spelled soap.
At least they tried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 06:08:02 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

Obviously I was too lazy to retype from the URL I posted... why is
that so difficult for your picayune pea brain. Even the stoopid
search engine knew 'zactly what I meant.
I ate at that joint in 1965, dawg onna bun was 18¢, packets of musturd
were 2¢ per. I choked down half the dawg and never returned. I'm
surprised that they are still in business.
Back then it was named "Der Wienerstzel", and they only sold dawgs and
cola, I see now they have expanded their menu, nothing looks edible...
they'd never make in in NYC. Maybe they dropped the "Der" to be PC,
that Der might be construed as a kraut slur.

Recently I discovered these and have been buying them for going on two
years:
https://www.kayem.com/our-products/
I like this variety best:
https://www.kayem.com/products/old-t...f-franks-2lbs/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 07:14:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

>> > I know. And they mean, respectively, wine and Vienna.

>> Not to some Americans, apparently.

>I'm sure millions of people all over the world misspell words in
>foreign languages that they do not speak. I get a chuckle every
>time I read the menu in a Chinese restaurant.

An American Chinese restaurant menu is NOT Chinese... at best they are
fercocktah transliterations... and each restaurant spells the dishes
somewhat differently in English. Chinese has no alphabet... their
spoken language relies heavily on intonations.

>> > But after years on Usenet, can you doubt that there are
>> > Americans who could misspell "restaurant" or "barbecue"?

>> No. Or those old favourites "ala" rfc, "quisine" and "bullion".

>I used to think that spelling should be easy for everybody. Each
>word has a pattern, and I can easily see if the pattern is incorrect.
>
>Thirty years with a very intelligent dyslexic has taught me to
>accept that it's sometimes not a person's fault if they cannot
>spell or if they make other mistakes with language.
>
>It doesn't keep me from taking the mickey out of someone on Usenet,
>though. That's pretty much always been the second or third purpose
>of Usenet.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 12:54:42 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 05:31:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:34:32 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 22:21:15 -0400, Dave Smith

> >> Krouts say Vieners... same as they say Volks Vagon... Ach!

> >No, they say "folks vagon".
> >
> >Don't you know any Yiddish? The orthography is almost identical.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I worked with a lot of krauts, they all pronouned the VW Volks Vagon
> ow Wolks Vagon, none said Folks.

the 'volks' part is pronounced a bit harder than the wagon. it's an 'f' versus a soft 'v'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 06:40:05 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 9:32:34 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?)
>> > think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well,
>> > the entire world.
>> >
>> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
>> > isn't a hot dog
>> >
>> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
>> > in
>> > Germany they use veal.

>> I have had meat cutlets but veal cutlets on this rock are rather rare. OTOH,
>> Japan style chicken cutlets are quite popular in Hawaii. I have made pork
>> cutlets but have never called it a wienerschnitzel.

>the term wiener schnitzel means a cutlet done Viennese style. basically it's a breaded veal cutlet pounded thin and breaded and fried. you can of course use other meats such as chick/pork, although to call it wiener schnitzel in austria is not allowed(if not made from veal). it can be called schnitzel wiener art.
>
>https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel

It's only on US cooking shows that they pound meat... the veal
tradionally used is from the rear leg and is *sliced thin*, it's much
too expensive to destroy by pounding.... it's the US celebrity chefs
who have no knife skills. Your web site says a thin "slice" of veal.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj2TcD8Bm0
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Understood. It is probably a European thing
>>
>> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

>ditto

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:32:34 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:34:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the veal
> > > there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel as good.
> > > the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener on. they are
> > > known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the wiener schnitzel
> > > because
> > > i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was advertised that the schnitzel
> > > was veal. oh. that's nice. what i got was a preformed patty which
> > > came
> > > in frozen(i know these things) and deep fried. what a disappointment..
> > > fresh pork or chicken schnitzel would have been so much better.
> > > the 'classic' way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan
> > > fried in butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend
> > > deep fry.

> > I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people (most?)
> > think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse apologies to, well,
> > the entire world.
> >
> > https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but it
> > isn't a hot dog
> >
> > It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I think
> > in
> > Germany they use veal.

> I have had meat cutlets but veal cutlets on this rock are rather rare. OTOH,
> Japan style chicken cutlets are quite popular in Hawaii. I have made pork
> cutlets but have never called it a wienerschnitzel.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucj2TcD8Bm0
>
> ==
>
> Understood. It is probably a European thing
>
> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in Hawaii. It is made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened slightly, dredged in flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko, and fried. It is typically served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce made with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, shoyu, and other ingredients.

My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in the early 60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of beef into cracker crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum tray and would make a scrunching sound that was embedded in my brain and I can still remember to this day.

The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had it's origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the sailors from Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans learned to make cutlets from the traditions brought over from Europe by immigrants. The Hawaiians learned to make it from the Americans and Japanese. In the end, it's all schnitzels.

https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

Pound chicken flat, flour and fry in oil.
Use no seasoning at all.
Plate and eat.

Note: this is not official but what will be plated in Scotland.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

>> > Really? You don't think people would misspell words in their
>> > own language?

>> I doubt a first-language German speaker would.
>>
>> Wein and wien are not homophones, they rhyme with mine and mean.

>I know. And they mean, respectively, wine and Vienna.
>
>But after years on Usenet, can you doubt that there are
>Americans who could misspell "restaurant" or "barbecue"?
>I've seen it myself.

Everything gets misspelled. But not as commonly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 10:45:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-17 10:14 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I'm sure millions of people all over the world misspell words in
>> foreign languages that they do not speak. I get a chuckle every
>> time I read the menu in a Chinese restaurant.

>I had to chuckle at some of the misspellings on menus I saw the first
>time I went to Europe. In Germany and in France I saw soup spelled soap.
>At least they tried.

I just saw an American who wrote "soupe do jour".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 04:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 01:12:29 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:
>> On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:47:16 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I doubt anything he says about what "Americans" think. No doubt he
>> >Googled and found this as the first hit:
>> >
>> >https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>> >
>> >Doesn't make it so!
>> >
>> >It's traditionally made with veal. Pork and chicken work well, too.
>> >
>> >https://www.thespruceeats.com/wiener...recipe-1447089

>> And don't forget, when you say goodbye to a German:
>> "Aufwienerschnitzel!" Which basically means "until the next time we'll
>> have dinner together".

>Bullshit.

Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 05:37:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:09:49 AM UTC-4, Sanne wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 01:12:29 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:

>> > And don't forget, when you say goodbye to a German:
>> > "Aufwienerschnitzel!" Which basically means "until the next time we'll
>> > have dinner together".

>> Bullshit.

>Bruce was making a joke. He's from the Netherlands; I imagine he
>understands enough German to make that joke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 13:37:18 UTC+1 schrieb Cindy Hamilton:
> On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 7:09:49 AM UTC-4, Sanne wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 01:12:29 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:

> > > And don't forget, when you say goodbye to a German:
> > > "Aufwienerschnitzel!" Which basically means "until the next time we'll
> > > have dinner together".

> > Bullshit.

> Bruce was making a joke. He's from the Netherlands; I imagine he
> understands enough German to make that joke.

I'm German. Not even a decent play of words there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 20:08:39 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 04:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Sanne wrote:

> >> And don't forget, when you say goodbye to a German:
> >> "Aufwienerschnitzel!" Which basically means "until the next time we'll
> >> have dinner together".

> >Bullshit.

> Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

As long as there is some. But your "pun" just isn't funny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:08:39 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 04:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> > wrote:
>
> >Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 01:12:29 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:

> >> And don't forget, when you say goodbye to a German:
> >> "Aufwienerschnitzel!" Which basically means "until the next time we'll
> >> have dinner together".

> >Bullshit.

> Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

he's probably had his fill of assholes like you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:10:15 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 13:37:18 UTC+1 schrieb Cindy Hamilton:

>> > Bullshit.

>> Bruce was making a joke. He's from the Netherlands; I imagine he
>> understands enough German to make that joke.

>I'm German. Not even a decent play of words there.

Stuck up and serious. You represent your country well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:13:21 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
> wrote:

>> >Bullshit.

>> Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

>As long as there is some. But your "pun" just isn't funny.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:29:55 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:08:39 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 04:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Sanne
>> > wrote:

>> >Bullshit.

>> Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

>he's probably had his fill of assholes like you.

One sentence, two mistakes. He's a she and I'm not an asshole, but a
really nice guy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/

> > > I know. And they mean, respectively, wine and Vienna.

> > Not to some Americans, apparently.

> I'm sure millions of people all over the world misspell words in
> foreign languages that they do not speak. I get a chuckle every
> time I read the menu in a Chinese restaurant.
>

> > > But after years on Usenet, can you doubt that there are
> > > Americans who could misspell "restaurant" or "barbecue"?

> > No. Or those old favourites "ala" rfc, "quisine" and "bullion".

> I used to think that spelling should be easy for everybody. Each
> word has a pattern, and I can easily see if the pattern is incorrect.
>
> Thirty years with a very intelligent dyslexic has taught me to
> accept that it's sometimes not a person's fault if they cannot
> spell or if they make other mistakes with language.
>
> It doesn't keep me from taking the mickey out of someone on Usenet,
> though. That's pretty much always been the second or third purpose
> of Usenet.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Have fun with me then. Dyslexics Untie! To this day, I have trouble
with restaraunt. <--- hope that is right. Gasp though, probably not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
> wrote:
> > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
> > veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
> > as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
> > on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
> > wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
> > advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
> > got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
> > things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
> > chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
> > way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
> > butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
> > deep fry.

> I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
> apologies to, well, the entire world.
>
> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>
> ==
>
> I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
> it isn't a hot dog
>
> It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
> think in Germany they use veal.

Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in Hawaii. It is
made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened slightly, dredged in
flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko, and fried. It is typically
served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce made with ketchup, Worcestershire
sauce, shoyu, and other ingredients.

My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in the early
60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of beef into cracker
crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum tray and would make a
scrunching sound that was embedded in my brain and I can still remember to
this day.

The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had it's
origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the sailors from
Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans learned to make
cutlets from the traditions brought over from Europe by immigrants. The
Hawaiians learned to make it from the Americans and Japanese. In the end,
it's all schnitzels.

https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu

==

Thank looks lovely) Katsu sauce please? )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sanne" wrote in message

Am Sonntag, 17. März 2019 20:08:39 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 04:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Sanne wrote:

> >> And don't forget, when you say goodbye to a German:
> >> "Aufwienerschnitzel!" Which basically means "until the next time we'll
> >> have dinner together".

> >Bullshit.

> Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

As long as there is some. But your "pun" just isn't funny.

==

My grandkids laughed and yes, they are German

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-17 3:13 p.m., Sanne wrote:

>>> Bullshit.

>> Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

> As long as there is some. But your "pun" just isn't funny.

My best friend was German and I spent a lot of time at his house. There
was a lot of laughter there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
> wrote:
> > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
> > veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
> > as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
> > on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
> > wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
> > advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
> > got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
> > things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
> > chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
> > way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
> > butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
> > deep fry.

> I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
> (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
> apologies to, well, the entire world.
>
> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>
> ==
>
> I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
> it isn't a hot dog
>
> It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
> think in Germany they use veal.

Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
==

If you are talking about this:

> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family in
Germany and visit often

As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a bit
of a giggle about all this )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-17 4:00 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> It's amazing living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific leads him
>> to assume that people on the mainland weinershnitzel with weiners.
>> Maybe there are some people with the IQ and ignorance of a Hawaiian
>> who don't know the difference. Maybe there is a difference in
>> regional pronunciation. Around here hot dogs are wienrs with a W, but
>> Weinerschnitzel starts with a V sound.

> I'm not up on cooking it but Weinerschnitzel is veal. A sort of
> breaded type right? Pounded flat.

Sheldon says the real deal is not pounded, though every recipe I have
seen calls for pounding. At any rate, it was about the pronunciation,
saying it as a V for the schnitzel and as a W for the hot dog wiener.
And FWIW, in German, Vienna is Wien.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:43:07 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:29:55 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:08:39 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 04:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Sanne

> >> Lol, Germans aren't known for their sense of humour.

> >he's probably had his fill of assholes like you.

> One sentence, two mistakes. He's a she and I'm not an asshole, but a
> really nice guy.

one mistake maybe. not two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 20:35:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"cshenk" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
>> wrote:
>> > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
>> > veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
>> > as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
>> > on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
>> > wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
>> > advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
>> > got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
>> > things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
>> > chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
>> > way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
>> > butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
>> > deep fry.

>> I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
>> (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
>> apologies to, well, the entire world.
>>
>> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
>> it isn't a hot dog
>>
>> It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
>> think in Germany they use veal.

>Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
>confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
>well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
>mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
>==
>
>If you are talking about this:
>
>> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

>I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family in
>Germany and visit often
>
>As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a bit
>of a giggle about all this )

To be honest, I only really know one German and he has a good sense of
humour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:49:11 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 3:43:07 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:29:55 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:

>> >he's probably had his fill of assholes like you.

>> One sentence, two mistakes. He's a she and I'm not an asshole, but a
>> really nice guy.

>one mistake maybe. not two.

Ok, maybe she's a gender changer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"cshenk" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
>> wrote:
>> > by far the best schnitzel i ever had was in vienna austria. the
>> > veal there must be different, because i've never had a schnitzel
>> > as good. the worst was in a country inn not too far from kitchener
>> > on. they are known for their great pork hocks, but i chose the
>> > wiener schnitzel because i wasn't that hungry. on the menu it was
>> > advertised that the schnitzel was veal. oh. that's nice. what i
>> > got was a preformed patty which came in frozen(i know these
>> > things) and deep fried. what a disappointment. a fresh pork or
>> > chicken schnitzel would have been so much better. the 'classic'
>> > way to make a schnitzel is to not deep fry it. it is pan fried in
>> > butter and veggie oil. most places, even european places tend to
>> > deep fry.

>> I don't wish to upset you or anything but, in America, some people
>> (most?) think that a wiener schnitzel is a hot dog. My profuse
>> apologies to, well, the entire world.
>>
>> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have had wienerschnitzel in Germany and I also make it myself, but
>> it isn't a hot dog
>>
>> It is a thin slice of meat, I use pork, bread crumbed and fried. I
>> think in Germany they use veal.

>Um, sorry Ophelia, but an odd website doesn't make a country get that
>confused. What you tripped over was Kielbasa which eastern USA knows
>well and western USA (little to no Germanic influx) now shows only by a
>mis-named cheap hot dog stand that you can see on the web.
>==
>
>If you are talking about this:
>
>> https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ ??

>I didn't post it As for knowing what wienerschnitzel is, I Have family
>in
>Germany and visit often
>
>As it happens my grands are visiting just now so my Grandson is having a
>bit
>of a giggle about all this )

To be honest, I only really know one German and he has a good sense of
humour.

==

I don't know about German humour and my grands are part English but ... he
laughed anyway)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:26:21 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> > Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

> Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in Hawaii. It is
> made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened slightly, dredged in
> flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko, and fried. It is typically
> served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce made with ketchup, Worcestershire
> sauce, shoyu, and other ingredients.
>
> My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in the early
> 60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of beef into cracker
> crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum tray and would make a
> scrunching sound that was embedded in my brain and I can still remember to
> this day.
>
> The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had it's
> origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the sailors from
> Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans learned to make
> cutlets from the traditions brought over from Europe by immigrants. The
> Hawaiians learned to make it from the Americans and Japanese. In the end,
> it's all schnitzels.
>
> https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu
>
> ==
>
> Thank looks lovely) Katsu sauce please? )

I don't usually make chicken katsu or katsu sauce. Almost every restaurant in this burg serves chicken katsu so I use the sauce they make. At home, I use Bull-Dog brand tonkatsu sauce. You might have a hard time finding tonkatsu sauce in the UK so here's what I'd do if I had to. Just mix everything up.

1/2 cup ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:26:21 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> > Recipe for your Japan style chicken cutlets please?

> Japan style Chicken katsu is probably the most popular dish in Hawaii. It
> is
> made with a boneless chicken thigh that is flattened slightly, dredged in
> flour, dipped in egg, then coated with panko, and fried. It is typically
> served with tonkatsu sauce or a sauce made with ketchup, Worcestershire
> sauce, shoyu, and other ingredients.
>
> My uncle used to make an American diner style beef cutlet back in the
> early
> 60's for his lunchwagon. He would pound thin slices of beef into cracker
> crumbs. The crumbs would be in a large aluminum tray and would make a
> scrunching sound that was embedded in my brain and I can still remember to
> this day.
>
> The Japanese meat cutlet and the American diner style cutlet had it's
> origins in Europe. The Japanese learned to make it from the sailors from
> Europe that passed through their ports. The Americans learned to make
> cutlets from the traditions brought over from Europe by immigrants. The
> Hawaiians learned to make it from the Americans and Japanese. In the end,
> it's all schnitzels.
>
> https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-chicken-katsu
>
> ==
>
> Thank looks lovely) Katsu sauce please? )

I don't usually make chicken katsu or katsu sauce. Almost every restaurant
in this burg serves chicken katsu so I use the sauce they make. At home, I
use Bull-Dog brand tonkatsu sauce. You might have a hard time finding
tonkatsu sauce in the UK so here's what I'd do if I had to. Just mix
everything up.

1/2 cup ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce

---

Thanks very much At what point do you add it?