Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Schnitzel Ideas?

My SO has been in the pressure cooker for about 5 months with work. He has
a breather tonight and I have decided to make a special "comfort food"
meal.. His most often requested meal is anything "schnitzel" Basically a
pounded (thin) and breaded piece of meat, fried in oil/butter and finished
with a lemon, butter and caper sauce. I do this with veal scallopine or
chicken breasts or pork. With pork I sometimes mix equal parts bread crumbs
and grated gruyere and serve with fresh lemon. I am looking for something a
little bit different although along these lines.

I decided to make Thomas Keller's Onion Soup Gratinee as a starter. Since
this calls for a considerable amount of cheese similiar to gruyere my usual
cheese breaded pork is probably not a great idea. Keller's onion soup, btw,
is truly delicious. I made the beef/chicken based broth last weekend
(actually used Lynne Rosetto Kasper's brodo recipe from "The Splendid Table"
as this is my all time favorite broth recipe) and caramelized the onions
yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with his recipe this involves a
futzy but warranted method of cutting the onions into uniformly thin slices
along the grain of the onion and cooking low and slow for a good 6 hours to
caramelized perfection. The soup is in the fridge to be finished with oven
broiled french bread and the cheese at the last minute.

I am looking for a schnitzel idea that will work well with this starter but
a little bit different from my usual variation on a theme. I was thinking
of making spaetzle to accompany because the SO loves spaetzle but this might
be a bit too heavy with the cheese and bread in the soup. Dessert is a
financier cake/cookie with a poached pair.

All ideas appreciated!

TIA

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate B wrote:

> My SO has been in the pressure cooker for about 5 months with work. He has

That's a long time for pressure cooking a SO! He/she should be well
tenderized and ready for eating by now.

Sorry, couldn't resist

> a breather tonight and I have decided to make a special "comfort food"
> meal.. His most often requested meal is anything "schnitzel" Basically a
> pounded (thin) and breaded piece of meat, fried in oil/butter and finished
> with a lemon, butter and caper sauce. I do this with veal scallopine or
> chicken breasts or pork. With pork I sometimes mix equal parts bread crumbs
> and grated gruyere and serve with fresh lemon. I am looking for something a
> little bit different although along these lines.
>
> I decided to make Thomas Keller's Onion Soup Gratinee as a starter. Since
> this calls for a considerable amount of cheese similiar to gruyere my usual
> cheese breaded pork is probably not a great idea. Keller's onion soup, btw,
> is truly delicious. I made the beef/chicken based broth last weekend
> (actually used Lynne Rosetto Kasper's brodo recipe from "The Splendid Table"
> as this is my all time favorite broth recipe) and caramelized the onions
> yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with his recipe this involves a
> futzy but warranted method of cutting the onions into uniformly thin slices

Use a mandolin for nice thin onion slices. You can choose the
thickness. We like the really thin cut slices sauteed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate B wrote:
> My SO has been in the pressure cooker for about 5 months with work. He has
> a breather tonight and I have decided to make a special "comfort food"
> meal.. His most often requested meal is anything "schnitzel" Basically a
> pounded (thin) and breaded piece of meat, fried in oil/butter and finished
> with a lemon, butter and caper sauce. I do this with veal scallopine or
> chicken breasts or pork. With pork I sometimes mix equal parts bread crumbs
> and grated gruyere and serve with fresh lemon. I am looking for something a
> little bit different although along these lines.
>
> I decided to make Thomas Keller's Onion Soup Gratinee as a starter. Since
> this calls for a considerable amount of cheese similiar to gruyere my usual
> cheese breaded pork is probably not a great idea. Keller's onion soup, btw,
> is truly delicious. I made the beef/chicken based broth last weekend
> (actually used Lynne Rosetto Kasper's brodo recipe from "The Splendid Table"
> as this is my all time favorite broth recipe) and caramelized the onions
> yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with his recipe this involves a
> futzy but warranted method of cutting the onions into uniformly thin slices
> along the grain of the onion and cooking low and slow for a good 6 hours to
> caramelized perfection. The soup is in the fridge to be finished with oven
> broiled french bread and the cheese at the last minute.
>
> I am looking for a schnitzel idea that will work well with this starter but
> a little bit different from my usual variation on a theme. I was thinking
> of making spaetzle to accompany because the SO loves spaetzle but this might
> be a bit too heavy with the cheese and bread in the soup. Dessert is a
> financier cake/cookie with a poached pair.
>
> All ideas appreciated!
>
> TIA
>
> Kate

How about Chicken Kiev?

Here is the first recipe for it from Google

Chicken Kiev

* 4 boneless chicken breast halves
* 4 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
* 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, or black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup flour
* 1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
* 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

Blend the softened butter with parsley, chives, pepper, and salt.
Divide into 4 portions and chill until firm.

Flatten each chicken breast half to about 1/4-inch thickness by
pounding each between wax paper or plastic wrap. Place a portion of
the chilled butter mixture in the center of each flattened chicken
breast half. Roll each to completely enclose the butter. Dust each
roll in flour then dip in beaten egg and water. Roll in bread crumbs
then place in lightly greased baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° oven
for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.
Chicken Kiev serves 4.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Kate B wrote:
>
> > My SO has been in the pressure cooker for about 5 months with work. He

has

> That's a long time for pressure cooking a SO! He/she should be well
> tenderized and ready for eating by now.
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist

I can't believe I used a pressure cooker reference in this NG. I deserve
whatever I get ;-)

> > I decided to make Thomas Keller's Onion Soup Gratinee as a starter.

Since
> > this calls for a considerable amount of cheese similiar to gruyere my

usual
> > cheese breaded pork is probably not a great idea. Keller's onion soup,

btw,
> > is truly delicious. I made the beef/chicken based broth last weekend
> > (actually used Lynne Rosetto Kasper's brodo recipe from "The Splendid

Table"
> > as this is my all time favorite broth recipe) and caramelized the onions
> > yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with his recipe this involves a
> > futzy but warranted method of cutting the onions into uniformly thin

slices

> Use a mandolin for nice thin onion slices. You can choose the
> thickness. We like the really thin cut slices sauteed.

I have a mandolin and normally use it for french onion soup but I couldn't
figure out a way to use it to cut the onions the way Keller suggests. His
method involves slicing the onion in half lengthwise, coring the onion and
angling the knife almost flat to the cutting surface and slicing into 1/4
inch thick pieces following the grain of the onion. It might work with a
mandolin but I've found Keller's recipes pretty specific and truly terrific
if you do things "his way".

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> Kate B wrote:
> > I am looking for a schnitzel idea that will work well with this starter

but
> > a little bit different from my usual variation on a theme. I was

thinking
> > of making spaetzle to accompany because the SO loves spaetzle but this

might
> > be a bit too heavy with the cheese and bread in the soup. Dessert is a
> > financier cake/cookie with a poached pair.
> >
> > All ideas appreciated!
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Kate
> >

> How about Chicken Kiev?
>
> Here is the first recipe for it from Google
>
> Chicken Kiev
>
> * 4 boneless chicken breast halves
> * 4 tablespoons butter, softened
> * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
> * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
> * 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, or black pepper
> * 1/4 teaspoon salt
> * 1/4 cup flour
> * 1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
> * 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
>

> Blend the softened butter with parsley, chives, pepper, and salt.
> Divide into 4 portions and chill until firm.
>
> Flatten each chicken breast half to about 1/4-inch thickness by
> pounding each between wax paper or plastic wrap. Place a portion of
> the chilled butter mixture in the center of each flattened chicken
> breast half. Roll each to completely enclose the butter. Dust each
> roll in flour then dip in beaten egg and water. Roll in bread crumbs
> then place in lightly greased baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° oven
> for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.
> Chicken Kiev serves 4.

I've never made Chicken Kiev before this might be a good idea. The only
problem is that the Kiev is baked. I wonder if it would have the same
crunch that pan frying imparts. Thanks for the suggestion Margaret!

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate B wrote:
> My SO has been in the pressure cooker for about 5 months with work. He has
> a breather tonight and I have decided to make a special "comfort food"
> meal.. His most often requested meal is anything "schnitzel" Basically a
> pounded (thin) and breaded piece of meat, fried in oil/butter and finished
> with a lemon, butter and caper sauce. I do this with veal scallopine or
> chicken breasts or pork. With pork I sometimes mix equal parts bread crumbs
> and grated gruyere and serve with fresh lemon. I am looking for something a
> little bit different although along these lines.
>
> I decided to make Thomas Keller's Onion Soup Gratinee as a starter. Since
> this calls for a considerable amount of cheese similiar to gruyere my usual
> cheese breaded pork is probably not a great idea. Keller's onion soup, btw,
> is truly delicious. I made the beef/chicken based broth last weekend
> (actually used Lynne Rosetto Kasper's brodo recipe from "The Splendid Table"
> as this is my all time favorite broth recipe) and caramelized the onions
> yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with his recipe this involves a
> futzy but warranted method of cutting the onions into uniformly thin slices
> along the grain of the onion and cooking low and slow for a good 6 hours to
> caramelized perfection. The soup is in the fridge to be finished with oven
> broiled french bread and the cheese at the last minute.
>
> I am looking for a schnitzel idea that will work well with this starter but
> a little bit different from my usual variation on a theme. I was thinking
> of making spaetzle to accompany because the SO loves spaetzle but this might
> be a bit too heavy with the cheese and bread in the soup. Dessert is a
> financier cake/cookie with a poached pair.
>
> All ideas appreciated!
>
> TIA
>
> Kate

Here is a Schnitzel with Mushroom filling from Vienna.

Wiener Schnitzel Mit Schwammerlfuelle

Buy Veal or Chicken Cutlets thick enough to make a small pocket in
each, for the filling. Tenderize them less, so they remain thick
enough to make the pockets in them.

Dice onions and sauté until almost soft. I use butter. Add trimmed
and thinly sliced mushrooms and cook until liquids have been absorbed,
add salt to taste.
..
Cool filling. Fill the prepared cutlets, then bread them as usual,
using flour, egg and unflavored breadcrumbs.

Pan fry in butter until done. Serve with lemon wedges and a
sprinkling of chopped parsley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate B wrote:
> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>

>>Kate B wrote:
>>
>>>I am looking for a schnitzel idea that will work well with this starter

> but
>
>>>a little bit different from my usual variation on a theme. I was

> thinking
>
>>>of making spaetzle to accompany because the SO loves spaetzle but this

> might
>
>>>be a bit too heavy with the cheese and bread in the soup. Dessert is a
>>>financier cake/cookie with a poached pair.
>>>
>>>All ideas appreciated!
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Kate
>>>

>>How about Chicken Kiev?
>>
>>Here is the first recipe for it from Google

*snipped recipe"

> I've never made Chicken Kiev before this might be a good idea. The only
> problem is that the Kiev is baked. I wonder if it would have the same
> crunch that pan frying imparts. Thanks for the suggestion Margaret!
>
> Kate

I really do not know whether it will be as crispy crunchy as it would
be when fried. I would guess that there will be little difference.
The few times I made Chicken Kiev, I actually fried it and then stuck
it in the hot oven to keep hot. The butter always escaped, but nobody
ever really cared, as the flavor wa still there.

I am not a good cook, perhaps someone else can be of more help. I
find I am way ahead, when my dinner is not burned to a crisp. (
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote on 13 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I am not a good cook, perhaps someone else can be of more help. I
> find I am way ahead, when my dinner is not burned to a crisp. (

HA! You are a great Cook!

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 13 Mar 2006 11:45:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
Suran?

> I am not a good cook, perhaps someone else can be of more help. I
> find I am way ahead, when my dinner is not burned to a crisp. (

There yo go belittling yourself again. This is unacceptable!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The reason that onions are cut this way as opposed to rings is that it cuts
less of the cells of the onions since you're cutting "with the grain" as
opposed to across it. At least that's what I was taught when I was a wee
apprentice. My mentor at that time was an Austrian chef who had started HIS
apprenticeship at 13.

"Kate B" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> > Kate B wrote:
> >
> > > My SO has been in the pressure cooker for about 5 months with work.

He
> has
> >
> > That's a long time for pressure cooking a SO! He/she should be well
> > tenderized and ready for eating by now.
> >
> > Sorry, couldn't resist

> I can't believe I used a pressure cooker reference in this NG. I deserve
> whatever I get ;-)
>
> > > I decided to make Thomas Keller's Onion Soup Gratinee as a starter.

> Since
> > > this calls for a considerable amount of cheese similiar to gruyere my

> usual
> > > cheese breaded pork is probably not a great idea. Keller's onion

soup,
> btw,
> > > is truly delicious. I made the beef/chicken based broth last weekend
> > > (actually used Lynne Rosetto Kasper's brodo recipe from "The Splendid

> Table"
> > > as this is my all time favorite broth recipe) and caramelized the

onions
> > > yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with his recipe this involves

> > > futzy but warranted method of cutting the onions into uniformly thin

> slices
> >
> > Use a mandolin for nice thin onion slices. You can choose the
> > thickness. We like the really thin cut slices sauteed.

> I have a mandolin and normally use it for french onion soup but I couldn't
> figure out a way to use it to cut the onions the way Keller suggests. His
> method involves slicing the onion in half lengthwise, coring the onion and
> angling the knife almost flat to the cutting surface and slicing into 1/4
> inch thick pieces following the grain of the onion. It might work with a
> mandolin but I've found Keller's recipes pretty specific and truly

terrific
> if you do things "his way".
>
> Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Kiev (was Schnitzel Ideas?)

Kate B > wrote:

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote:
> >
> > Chicken Kiev

[snip]
> > Cover and bake at 350° oven

> I've never made Chicken Kiev before this might be a good idea. The only
> problem is that the Kiev is baked. I wonder if it would have the same
> crunch that pan frying imparts.

Sorry, all of that is imitation nonsense. Real Chicken Kiev is neither
baked nor pan-fried. It is deep-fried. Besides, it is not the easiest
dish to make for someone with no experience with it at all, perhaps not
even for you, Kate. I would make it at least twice before and I would
fully expect a failure at least the first time and maybe the second. It
is a restaurant dish and few people try to make it at home.

Here is the original recipe for Chicken Kiev found in several good
Russian and Ukrainian cookbooks. I think I posted it before.

Chicken Kiev

120 g (1/4 lb) butter, very cold
optionally, yolk of a boiled egg for mixing with the butter
4 fillets of chicken, with the wing bone attached
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2-3 cups clarified butter for deep frying

Cut the butter into 'fir-cones' about 3-inch long and 1/2-inch thick.
Put it in the refrigerator. It must be kept very cold and hard until
the moment of using.

Notice that each chicken fillet consists of the larger outer and the
smaller inner part. Separate the parts with a knife. Sprinkle the Kiev
fillets with salt, lay them on the table, pound lightly until they are
about 2-3 mm (0.08-0.12 in) thick, and in the centre of each outer
fillet put a 'cone' of cold butter (optionally mixed with the yolk of a
boiled egg before refrigerating). Roll the flesh of the inner fillet
round the butter, and then roll the outer fillet round it, leaving the
wing-bone projecting like the stalk of a pear. Make sure the butter is
completely sealed inside the fillet. Dip into egg beaten with milk,
roll in breadcrumbs, dip in egg again and roll again in crumbs. Deep
fry in hot clarified butter for 3-4 minutes. Then, optionally, you can
take the fillets out and put them into a hot oven for 1-2 minutes. The
fillets must be served immediately they are ready. Pour some melted
butter over them and serve with french-fried or mashed potatoes, green
peas, carrots, or cauliflower dusted with fried breadcrumbs.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate B wrote:

> I've never made Chicken Kiev before this might be a good idea. The only
> problem is that the Kiev is baked. I wonder if it would have the same
> crunch that pan frying imparts. Thanks for the suggestion Margaret!

I don't know where that Chicken Kiew recipe came from. The recipe I had for it
is deep fried. It also had mushroom in it. As near as I remember, you soften
butter, finely chop some mushroom and chop chives. Mix them in the butter and
then chill the butter. Better yet, cool it a bit, then ball it and chill it
really hard. Flatten out chicken breasts, roll them up with a ball of the
flavoured butter and pin them closed with tooth picks, then dredge in seasoned
flour, egg wash and then into the bread crumbs. Deep fry until cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote:

> I decided to make Thomas Keller's Onion Soup Gratinee as a starter. Since
> this calls for a considerable amount of cheese similiar to gruyere my
> usual cheese breaded pork is probably not a great idea. Keller's onion
> soup, btw, is truly delicious. I made the beef/chicken based broth last
> weekend (actually used Lynne Rosetto Kasper's brodo recipe from "The
> Splendid Table" as this is my all time favorite broth recipe) and
> caramelized the onions yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with his
> recipe this involves a futzy but warranted method of cutting the onions
> into uniformly thin slices along the grain of the onion and cooking low
> and slow for a good 6 hours to caramelized perfection. The soup is in the
> fridge to be finished with oven broiled french bread and the cheese at the
> last minute.
>
> I am looking for a schnitzel idea that will work well with this starter
> but a little bit different from my usual variation on a theme. I was
> thinking of making spaetzle to accompany because the SO loves spaetzle but
> this might be a bit too heavy with the cheese and bread in the soup.
> Dessert is a financier cake/cookie with a poached pair.

You want something similar-but-different from your usual schnitzel, and
which will go with the onion soup gratinee? How about tournedos crusted with
walnuts, with a port wine sauce, with steamed asparagus and duchess potatoes
on the side? Seems like that would also be a decent lead-in to dessert.

(Your SO is a lucky, lucky man!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Kate B > wrote:
>
> > "Margaret Suran" > wrote:
> > >
> > > Chicken Kiev

> [snip]
> > > Cover and bake at 350° oven

> > I've never made Chicken Kiev before this might be a good idea. The only
> > problem is that the Kiev is baked. I wonder if it would have the same
> > crunch that pan frying imparts.

> Sorry, all of that is imitation nonsense. Real Chicken Kiev is neither
> baked nor pan-fried. It is deep-fried. Besides, it is not the easiest
> dish to make for someone with no experience with it at all, perhaps not
> even for you, Kate. I would make it at least twice before and I would
> fully expect a failure at least the first time and maybe the second. It
> is a restaurant dish and few people try to make it at home.

<sputter sputter> I could make this in my sleep. I could make it for a
dinner party for 100 of my closest friends with nary a practice. I could,
um, er...read the recipe and .. <cough, cough cough> take a wee pass ;-).

> Here is the original recipe for Chicken Kiev found in several good
> Russian and Ukrainian cookbooks. I think I posted it before.
>
> Chicken Kiev
>
> 120 g (1/4 lb) butter, very cold
> optionally, yolk of a boiled egg for mixing with the butter
> 4 fillets of chicken, with the wing bone attached
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2 eggs
> 1/4 cup milk
> 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
> 2-3 cups clarified butter for deep frying
>
> Cut the butter into 'fir-cones' about 3-inch long and 1/2-inch thick.
> Put it in the refrigerator. It must be kept very cold and hard until
> the moment of using.
>
> Notice that each chicken fillet consists of the larger outer and the
> smaller inner part. Separate the parts with a knife. Sprinkle the Kiev
> fillets with salt, lay them on the table, pound lightly until they are
> about 2-3 mm (0.08-0.12 in) thick, and in the centre of each outer
> fillet put a 'cone' of cold butter (optionally mixed with the yolk of a
> boiled egg before refrigerating). Roll the flesh of the inner fillet
> round the butter, and then roll the outer fillet round it, leaving the
> wing-bone projecting like the stalk of a pear. Make sure the butter is
> completely sealed inside the fillet. Dip into egg beaten with milk,
> roll in breadcrumbs, dip in egg again and roll again in crumbs. Deep
> fry in hot clarified butter for 3-4 minutes. Then, optionally, you can
> take the fillets out and put them into a hot oven for 1-2 minutes. The
> fillets must be served immediately they are ready. Pour some melted
> butter over them and serve with french-fried or mashed potatoes, green
> peas, carrots, or cauliflower dusted with fried breadcrumbs.
>
> Victor

That sounds not exactly "challenging" but really easy to screw up. It's the
kind of recipe that I'd rather watch someone else make first and *then*
(maybe) try. It's a bit like when I first purchased my Bron steel
mandoline. The directions were "translation challenged" and I could do
nothing but thinly slice potatoes for years with it until a friend showed me
how to do the fancy cuts and set it up properly. Sometimes you just need a
visual demonstration. The cooked egg yolk in the chilled buter thing also
creeps me out a bit. Cooked egg yolks are terribly unappealing to me. I
can eat only omelettes and scrambled egg (i.e. no visible cooked yolks) but
have no issues with custards, hollandaise etc. I can even partially coddle
an egg yolk for use in a Caesar salad dressing but a hard cooked egg yolk
just...anyway, I digress ;-)...

I ended up making a pork tenderloin schnitzel, well trimmed and sliced on
the bias. Served simply with fresh squeezed lemon plus S & P. This was not
my plan. Another poster e-mailed me a recipe for a dill, sour cream and
chicken stock sauce that sounded yummy but my SO made the timing mistake of
arriving home 2 minutes before the start of "24". He won't watch "24"
during the regular season because he is too busy and hates the commercials
etc. etc. etc. Unlike the King of Siam he reaped what he sowed and I just
wasn't up to anything more complicated. Everything else was made ahead.
The Financier cake/cookie was inspired by a recipe that Sophie LaPlante
translated for me many, many years ago from a French cooking newsgroup (one
of my first information requests on RFC). I've tweaked it over the years to
the point that I really love making this cross between a butter laden almond
flour cake and a cookie. Normally I reserve it for dinner parties but
tonight served it in little copper pans that it bakes in fanned with a
wine/herb/sugared poached pear slices. Does anybody know where Sophie is
now? She was such a classy dear. The last time I saw her was when she was
living outside Paris doing post doc teaching etc.. We had so much fun
visiting cheese caves in Paris and she was so good natured about the
Parisians teasing of her French Canadian accent.

Ah, the memories!

The Keller soup was excellent!

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Kiev

Kate B > wrote:

> "Victor Sack" > wrote:
> >
> > Chicken Kiev

> That sounds not exactly "challenging" but really easy to screw up. It's the
> kind of recipe that I'd rather watch someone else make first and *then*
> (maybe) try.

Exactly. I posted the very same thing once upon a time:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/90bfebef9c98d936>.

> Does anybody know where Sophie is
> now? She was such a classy dear. The last time I saw her was when she was
> living outside Paris doing post doc teaching etc.. We had so much fun
> visiting cheese caves in Paris and she was so good natured about the
> Parisians teasing of her French Canadian accent.

I wish the lovely Sophie were still posting... blacksalt and I once met
her and Dominique in Paris at "Chez Nénesse" in 3ème arr. (Sophie's
choice)...

Victor