Bob (this one)

Pixmaker wrote:

> I often make a schnitzel or a veal Cordon Bleu in the classic way - by
> frying in lard (or Crisco) but, after surgery, my lady doesn't react
> well to fried foods. Is there a way to prapare the veal in the normal
> way but bake it or, somehow, avoid the frying and consequent fat
> content?
>=20
> I know, it's almost blasphemous to suggest such a thing but we love
> the meal yet don't want to suffer the consequences.

You can make an approximation by doing an "oven fry." The basic=20
technique is to flour, egg wash, coat with crumbs or more flour or=20
whatever and bake, usually around 350=B0F or so. Typically, some fat is=20
trickled over which wicks over the coating and largely runs off. It=20
gives a slightly fried flavor (because the hot oil actually *is*=20
frying) with a tiny fraction of the residual fat. Drain on paper=20
toweling before service.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Pixmaker wrote:

> I often make a schnitzel or a veal Cordon Bleu in the classic way - by
> frying in lard (or Crisco) but, after surgery, my lady doesn't react
> well to fried foods. Is there a way to prapare the veal in the normal
> way but bake it or, somehow, avoid the frying and consequent fat
> content?
>=20
> I know, it's almost blasphemous to suggest such a thing but we love
> the meal yet don't want to suffer the consequences.

You can make an approximation by doing an "oven fry." The basic=20
technique is to flour, egg wash, coat with crumbs or more flour or=20
whatever and bake, usually around 350=B0F or so. Typically, some fat is=20
trickled over which wicks over the coating and largely runs off. It=20
gives a slightly fried flavor (because the hot oil actually *is*=20
frying) with a tiny fraction of the residual fat. Drain on paper=20
toweling before service.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Pixmaker wrote:

> I often make a schnitzel or a veal Cordon Bleu in the classic way - by
> frying in lard (or Crisco) but, after surgery, my lady doesn't react
> well to fried foods. Is there a way to prapare the veal in the normal
> way but bake it or, somehow, avoid the frying and consequent fat
> content?
>=20
> I know, it's almost blasphemous to suggest such a thing but we love
> the meal yet don't want to suffer the consequences.

You can make an approximation by doing an "oven fry." The basic=20
technique is to flour, egg wash, coat with crumbs or more flour or=20
whatever and bake, usually around 350=B0F or so. Typically, some fat is=20
trickled over which wicks over the coating and largely runs off. It=20
gives a slightly fried flavor (because the hot oil actually *is*=20
frying) with a tiny fraction of the residual fat. Drain on paper=20
toweling before service.

Pastorio

Pixmaker

Default Wiener Schnitzel frying question

I often make a schnitzel or a veal Cordon Bleu in the classic way - by
frying in lard (or Crisco) but, after surgery, my lady doesn't react
well to fried foods. Is there a way to prapare the veal in the normal
way but bake it or, somehow, avoid the frying and consequent fat
content?

I know, it's almost blasphemous to suggest such a thing but we love
the meal yet don't want to suffer the consequences.

Any ideas will be received gratefully.

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)
Louis Cohen

I second the suggestion, but suggest an even higher temperature - 450 - 500°
to more closely simulate frying. If the high heat burns the breading, turn
it down a bit. This works nicely for fish and chicken, and potato wedges
drizzled with oil and seasoning - almost as good as fries but much better
for you.

It's pretty amazing, but Shake and Bake works well. But, don't buy Shake
and Bake - make your own breading easily enough.

The other alternative is to broil or grill the meat, but this won't work
with breading.

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
Pixmaker wrote:

> I often make a schnitzel or a veal Cordon Bleu in the classic way - by
> frying in lard (or Crisco) but, after surgery, my lady doesn't react
> well to fried foods. Is there a way to prapare the veal in the normal
> way but bake it or, somehow, avoid the frying and consequent fat
> content?
>
> I know, it's almost blasphemous to suggest such a thing but we love
> the meal yet don't want to suffer the consequences.

You can make an approximation by doing an "oven fry." The basic
technique is to flour, egg wash, coat with crumbs or more flour or
whatever and bake, usually around 350°F or so. Typically, some fat is