Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Good (frozen) Pizza

Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
lot of tomato sauce, either.

I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.

Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach.

I have mozzarella cheese (fresh to grate) on my new grocery list.
I want to make a white pizza with broccoli which I love.
Basically, broccoli crowns, garlic, plenty of EVOO and cheese.

There are many good frozen pizza's available now. And I also
normally add a few ingredients just like you did to enhance them.

Anyway, frozen any kind of dinners are not to put down these
days, many can be very tasty and healthy.

Way too often, people criticize a commercial product without ever
even trying it these days.
Like *YOU* just did with the 'Throwback' canned pasta. ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2019 11:24 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach.

> I have mozzarella cheese (fresh to grate) on my new grocery list.
> I want to make a white pizza with broccoli which I love.
> Basically, broccoli crowns, garlic, plenty of EVOO and cheese.
>
> There are many good frozen pizza's available now. And I also
> normally add a few ingredients just like you did to enhance them.
>
> Anyway, frozen any kind of dinners are not to put down these
> days, many can be very tasty and healthy.
>
> Way too often, people criticize a commercial product without ever
> even trying it these days.
> Like *YOU* just did with the 'Throwback' canned pasta. ;-D

Oh puleeze. I used to eat the original Chef Boyardee stuff as a teen
and even in my early 20's. I see no reason to try a reboot of canned pasta.

As for making broccoli pizza, check youtube. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIpfJ-3a3_A

The frozen spinach pizza I bought also started with a ricotta base just
like the one in that quick video.

I'm not going to go out of my way to make pizza crust from scratch for
something I seldom eat. There are alternatives; they sell bags of
freshly made pizza dough at the bakery in the grocery store. There are
also pre-made stored at room temp crusts. The brand Boboli comes to
mind, although I've never bought one.

At any rate, it shouldn't be too difficult to make your white pizza with
broccoli.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
(in article >):

> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>
> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>
> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> them.
>
> Jill

If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> > I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> > day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> > I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> > lot of tomato sauce, either.
> >
> > I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> > white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> > I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> > add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> > dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
> >
> > Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> > them.
> >
> > Jill

> If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

Maybe. The vegetarian pizza at college was a very mild, orange,
Cheddar-style mass-market cheese with peas and carrots.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 17:06:44 +0000, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
> wrote:

>On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
>(in article >):
>
>> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
>> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
>> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
>> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
>> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>>
>> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
>> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
>> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
>> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
>> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>>
>> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
>> them.
>>
>> Jill

>If it is a pizza, shouldn’t the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

If it's a pizza from the supermarket, you'd be happy if the cheese
came from a cow. You'd even be happy if it was cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 9:56:00 AM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>
> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>
> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> them.
>
> Jill

I have no trouble with pepperoni or any other spicy food 'talking back' to me,
thankfully. But I can say that Newman's Own frozen pizza is the ONLY one I buy.
They've got a plain cheese that one of these days I'm going to try.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2019 12:06 PM, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
>> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
>> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
>> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
>> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>>
>> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
>> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
>> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
>> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
>> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>>
>> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
>> them.
>>
>> Jill

> If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

In the purists sense, yes. Sometimes I cheap and put other cheese on as
well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 11:45:15 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> If it's a pizza from the supermarket, you'd be happy if the cheese
> came from a cow. You'd even be happy if it was cheese.

I looked up this particular flavor pizza ingredient list and it does indeed have
low-moisture mozzarella cheese (pasteurized whole milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
news.com...

On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
(in article >):

> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>
> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>
> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> them.
>
> Jill

If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

---

I always make my own, but yes, that is what I use!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 17:06:44 +0000, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
> wrote:

>On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
>(in article >):
>
>> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
>> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
>> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
>> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
>> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>>
>> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
>> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
>> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
>> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
>> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>>
>> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
>> them.
>>
>> Jill

>If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

If it's a pizza from the supermarket, you'd be happy if the cheese
came from a cow. You'd even be happy if it was cheese.

---

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2019 12:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>> On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
>> (in article >):
>>
>>> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
>>> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
>>> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
>>> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
>>> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>>>
>>> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
>>> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
>>> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
>>> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
>>> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>>>
>>> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

[sorry to piggyback, Cindy]

Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
buffalo milk?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:45:12 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> > On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> >>
> >> If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
> buffalo milk?
>
> Jill

*Highly* doubtful s/he is eating mozzarella cheese made from buffalo milk
at a pizza joint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-15, jmcquown > wrote:

> I'm glad I bought two of them.

Yes! Now you have an extra you can throw directly in the trash.

Newmen's Own pizza's suck, regardless of the topping. Most do.

I like Freschetta, despite the fact no-one in this valley carries the
"Supreme" (despite one store carrying 4 version of their "pepperoni")
version and their empty crust rim takes up waaaay too much real-estate. At
least you can taste the red sauce, which I require.

We have a local brewery/pizza joint that usta make a "root beer"
pizza. The sauce was great.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>
> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>
> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> them.

we just get some elcheapo/whatever thin-crust is
on-sale and then add extra cheese and onions.

i really enjoyed making my own crusts from
using bread machine kneaded dough and depending
upon how thick i wanted it would depend upon if
i left it in to rise and how much i rolled it
out.

as i really liked variety it was great to
be able to take chunks of dough and freeze it
for later use. i could have rye, pumpernickle,
cornbread, etc. all ready to go after a quick
thaw (or just take it out and put it in the
fridge the day before).

pre-made frozen bread dough was also ok at
times, but i didn't do that very often.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:46:50 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> I enjoyed this one thoroughly, joan. I rarely think about pizza but
> this caught my eye. It was quite tasty and thoroughly satisfying.
>
> Jill

They are VERY tasty pizzas for sure. When I cook one of their pepperoni or
sausage combos they get a good sprinkling of oregano as soon as they
come out of the oven. To me, that really adds even more flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 1:16:15 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

> On 2019-02-15, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > I'm glad I bought two of them.

> Yes! Now you have an extra you can throw directly in the trash.
>
> Newmen's Own pizza's suck, regardless of the topping. Most do.

No, they don't! Newman's Own is one of the f.e.w pizzas that their sausage
variety is not made out of chicken sausage. Barf!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/15/2019 12:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of
> > Fruitcakes wrote:
> > > On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
> > > (in article >):

> > > If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a
> > > buffalo?

> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>
> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
> buffalo milk?
>
> Jill

In Italy, it is one of the types of Mozzarella sold (not all are made
from water buffalo milk).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/15/2019 11:24 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach.

> > I have mozzarella cheese (fresh to grate) on my new grocery list.
> > I want to make a white pizza with broccoli which I love.
> > Basically, broccoli crowns, garlic, plenty of EVOO and cheese.
> >
> > There are many good frozen pizza's available now. And I also
> > normally add a few ingredients just like you did to enhance them.
> >
> > Anyway, frozen any kind of dinners are not to put down these
> > days, many can be very tasty and healthy.
> >
> > Way too often, people criticize a commercial product without ever
> > even trying it these days.
> > Like YOU just did with the 'Throwback' canned pasta. ;-D
> >

> Oh puleeze. I used to eat the original Chef Boyardee stuff as a teen
> and even in my early 20's. I see no reason to try a reboot of canned
> pasta.
>
> As for making broccoli pizza, check youtube. Here's one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIpfJ-3a3_A
>
> The frozen spinach pizza I bought also started with a ricotta base
> just like the one in that quick video.
>
> I'm not going to go out of my way to make pizza crust from scratch
> for something I seldom eat. There are alternatives; they sell bags
> of freshly made pizza dough at the bakery in the grocery store.
> There are also pre-made stored at room temp crusts. The brand Boboli
> comes to mind, although I've never bought one.

Actually Pizza dough from scratch is fun to do! Doesn't take long
either. I usually make 2 at a time and freeze the other lightly greased
in saran wrap.

The nice thing on making your own, is you can actually spice the dough
which is a nice touch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:36:56 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 2/15/2019 12:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>>
>> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
>> buffalo milk?
>>
>> Jill

>In Italy, it is one of the types of Mozzarella sold (not all are made
>from water buffalo milk).

I'm sure Jill knows what buffalo mozz is. The question implied was
'why would you expect a higher quality product in a cheap frozen
pizza?'
BTW, you can buy buffalo mozz in the U.S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 11:31:17 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 1:16:15 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-02-15, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>> > I'm glad I bought two of them.

>> Yes! Now you have an extra you can throw directly in the trash.
>>
>> Newmen's Own pizza's suck, regardless of the topping. Most do.
>>

>No, they don't! Newman's Own is one of the f.e.w pizzas that their sausage
>variety is not made out of chicken sausage. Barf!

The ingredient list is pretty good for a supermarket pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 14:17:50 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

> we just get some elcheapo/whatever thin-crust is
>on-sale and then add extra cheese and onions.
>
> i really enjoyed making my own crusts from
>using bread machine kneaded dough and depending
>upon how thick i wanted it would depend upon if
>i left it in to rise and how much i rolled it
>out.
>
> as i really liked variety it was great to
>be able to take chunks of dough and freeze it
>for later use. i could have rye, pumpernickle,
>cornbread, etc. all ready to go after a quick
>thaw (or just take it out and put it in the
>fridge the day before).
>
> pre-made frozen bread dough was also ok at
>times, but i didn't do that very often.

I made my own sourdough pizza bases a few days ago. The flavour was
good, but they were still partly raw after 20 minutes in the oven. Not
good. Either I have to prebake the bottoms or give them more rise
time, so they bake faster (if that's true). Or make them thinner, but
they were already quite thin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 1:45:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/15/2019 12:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> >> On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
> >> (in article >):

> >> If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>
> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
> buffalo milk?
>
> Jill

Traditional in Italy. Fresh mozzarella di bufala.

Granted, I've only had cow's milk fresh mozzarella, but I
consider it to be the tofu of the cheese world. Tasteless
on its own and woefully lacking in salt. It needs a lot of
help for me to consider it palatable.

I probably should try di bufala sometime.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:45:04 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/15/2019 12:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-5, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>>> On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
>>> (in article >):

>>> If it is a pizza, shouldnąt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>
> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
> buffalo milk?

It sounds like Bruce has some competition in the "ignorant trolling"
department.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 12:30:21 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 1:45:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

>> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>>
>> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
>> buffalo milk?
>>
>> Jill

> Traditional in Italy. Fresh mozzarella di bufala.

It's traditional in SOME parts of Italy. But Italy in general uses
more fior di latte on pizza.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:43:35 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Maybe. The vegetarian pizza at college was a very mild, orange,
> Cheddar-style mass-market cheese with peas and carrots.

Nebraska? No cabbage?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 7:06:47 AM UTC-10, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> > I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> > day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> > I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> > lot of tomato sauce, either.
> >
> > I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> > white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> > I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> > add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> > dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
> >
> > Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> > them.
> >
> > Jill

> If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?

This is America. We don't need no stinkin' buffalo cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBVF4EBr4w
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2019 3:30 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 1:45:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

>> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>>
>> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
>> buffalo milk?
>>
>> Jill

> Traditional in Italy. Fresh mozzarella di bufala.
>
> Granted, I've only had cow's milk fresh mozzarella, but I
> consider it to be the tofu of the cheese world. Tasteless
> on its own and woefully lacking in salt. It needs a lot of
> help for me to consider it palatable.
>
> I probably should try di bufala sometime.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It is better, but still very mild and not salty at all. Great with
Caprese salad. It has a place and we enjoy it, but, don't compare it
with an aged cheddar or Gouda.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2019 3:30 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 1:45:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

>> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>>
>> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
>> buffalo milk?
>>
>> Jill

> Traditional in Italy. Fresh mozzarella di bufala.

Okay, except I've never been to Italy so I don't expect a frozen store
bought pizza to be topped with buffalo milk mozz.

> Granted, I've only had cow's milk fresh mozzarella, but I
> consider it to be the tofu of the cheese world. Tasteless
> on its own and woefully lacking in salt. It needs a lot of
> help for me to consider it palatable.

I've had cow's milk fresh mozz, can't remember the brand. It was tangy
and tasty, not particularly salty. I occasionally buy it in slices to
add to chicken parm or similar dishes.

The shredded cheese I added to the pizza was a combination of (cow's
milk) mozzarella, asiago, parmesan and a couple of other white cheeses.
What can I say? I wasn't going to use expensive cheeses to trick out a
store bought frozen pizza.

> I probably should try di bufala sometime.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2019 4:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:45:04 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>> [sorry to piggyback, Cindy]
>>
>> Why on earth you expect frozen pizza to have mozzarella made from
>> buffalo milk?

> It sounds like Bruce has some competition in the "ignorant trolling"
> department.
>
> -sw

I think he was expecting some sort of plastic cheese food product.
There's absolutely no reason for anyone in the US to expect buffalo
mozzarella on a frozen store bought pizza.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 12:30:21 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Granted, I've only had cow's milk fresh mozzarella, but I
> consider it to be the tofu of the cheese world.

I snipped too early and forgot to agree with you on that one. Whole
milk mozzarella is the best of the 3 common ones here (part skim,
fresh, and whole milk), but I still use mostly provolone on my
pizzas, along with a little asiago and peckerino romano. American
meunster is also good on pizza (German meunster is a whole different
thing).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 5:43:40 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:43:35 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Maybe. The vegetarian pizza at college was a very mild, orange,
> > Cheddar-style mass-market cheese with peas and carrots.

> Nebraska? No cabbage?

Michigan. And of course the peas and carrots had been frozen. I'm
surprised that corn and lima beans were absent.

After all that time in the oven (thick crust), the peas were absolutely
wizened.

Cindy Hamilton