Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Good (frozen) Pizza

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/18/2019 7:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> So question for you. If your pizza is just an appetizer, what
>>> might be the "main" course to follow?

>> I had a friend who lived in Milan for about a year. He said the pizza
>> there was not like ours here. Nor was it served in the same way. He said
>> it was smaller, with thin crust and sparse topping. Usually just cheese
>> and fresh herbs. It was eaten more like a snack. People would run outside
>> with pizzas on a peel and you would buy slices from them just like that.
>> He said it sold instantly so if you really wanted some, you would have to
>> wait outside of the door to one of the shops. Now this was about 40 years
>> ago. Things could have changed.

> I've spent some weeks in different parts of Italy and that is still at
> least somewhat true. In the tourist areas they are more Americanized now
> but sparse topping and by the slice is very common.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:53:04 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Interesting that you say a pizza is not meant to be the main
>>> course. Whenever I make pizza it's always the main course, unless
>>> I might add a small salad. The simple dressing I use is also good
>>> to dip pizza in.
>>>
>>> So question for you. If your pizza is just an appetizer, what
>>> might be the "main" course to follow?

>>I had a friend who lived in Milan for about a year. He said the pizza
>>there
>>was not like ours here. Nor was it served in the same way. He said it was
>>smaller, with thin crust and sparse topping. Usually just cheese and fresh
>>herbs. It was eaten more like a snack. People would run outside with
>>pizzas
>>on a peel and you would buy slices from them just like that. He said it
>>sold
>>instantly so if you really wanted some, you would have to wait outside of
>>the door to one of the shops. Now this was about 40 years ago. Things
>>could
>>have changed.

> I traveled throughout Italy some 60 years ago, what then was called
> pizza was more a large cracker covered with herbs and olive oil, no
> sauce and no cheeze... was served at espresso cafes.
> I'd say what most people call pizza nowadays has nothing to do with
> Italy, it's an American invention. What Italy serves now is an
> American style pizza; sauce, cheeze, and all the American toppings...
> there's nothing Italian about today's pizza. Originally pizza was
> Jewish, Pletzel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pletzel

Years ago I made a French pizza. Got the recipe from some cooking magazine.
This was pretty much the same recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2013968

At the time, I couldn't find the correct olives so had to use black and I
didn't use anchovies. I know, they are vital to the recipe but not my thing.
The end result was good but I thought it needed cheese.

My former MIL who was Italian, did not make her dough from scratch but
bought it. It's sold everywhere in PA. She used red pack tomato sauce to
top. And cheese ends to finish. Never any herbs, meat, other veggies or even
olive oil. The only oil she had in the house was Wesson. She made it every
Friday as it was cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:11:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Years ago I made a French pizza. Got the recipe from some cooking magazine.
>This was pretty much the same recipe:
>
>https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2013968
>
>At the time, I couldn't find the correct olives so had to use black and I
>didn't use anchovies. I know, they are vital to the recipe but not my thing.
>The end result was good but I thought it needed cheese.

Yes, ****aladière, very southern French and very good! Adult flavours
with olives and anchovis. I didn't like it as a child. Made with black
olives, according to my memory and
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/****aladi%C3%A8re>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:21:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> I traveled throughout Italy some 60 years ago,

>You traveled throughout Italy when your were about age 13?
>No...you were still living in New Yawk then.
>Yoose has probably never ever actually been to Italy.
>I also have never been there. What a worthless country, imo
>
>Whatever Italian cuisine was invented, the Americans fixed it.

Hey, another contribution from the redneck corner. Thanks, Gary!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

NOM
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 14:17:50 -0500, songbird >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> we just get some elcheapo/whatever thin-crust is
>>>on-sale and then add extra cheese and onions.
>>>
>>> i really enjoyed making my own crusts from
>>>using bread machine kneaded dough and depending
>>>upon how thick i wanted it would depend upon if
>>>i left it in to rise and how much i rolled it
>>>out.
>>>
>>> as i really liked variety it was great to
>>>be able to take chunks of dough and freeze it
>>>for later use. i could have rye, pumpernickle,
>>>cornbread, etc. all ready to go after a quick
>>>thaw (or just take it out and put it in the
>>>fridge the day before).
>>>
>>> pre-made frozen bread dough was also ok at
>>>times, but i didn't do that very often.

>> I made my own sourdough pizza bases a few days ago. The flavour was
>> good, but they were still partly raw after 20 minutes in the oven. Not
>> good. Either I have to prebake the bottoms or give them more rise
>> time, so they bake faster (if that's true). Or make them thinner, but
>> they were already quite thin.

> I want to make a rye dough and top it with Swiss cheese, fresh tomatoes,
> onions and perhaps some herbs.

What do your father and a pizza have in common?

They both came in a greasy box.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:31:43 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 04:19 19 Feb 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:11:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Years ago I made a French pizza. Got the recipe from some cooking
>>>magazine. This was pretty much the same recipe:
>>>
>>>https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2013968
>>>
>>>At the time, I couldn't find the correct olives so had to use black and
>>>I didn't use anchovies. I know, they are vital to the recipe but not my
>>>thing. The end result was good but I thought it needed cheese.

>> Yes, ****aladière, very southern French and very good! Adult flavours
>> with olives and anchovis. I didn't like it as a child. Made with black
>> olives, according to my memory and
>> <https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/****aladi%C3%A8re>

>I can't eat much of that as it's so heavy. Very French. Did you come across
>it from your Dutch-French connections?

From travelling to France, yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> I traveled throughout Italy some 60 years ago,

>You traveled throughout Italy when your were about age 13?
>No...you were still living in New Yawk then.
>Yoose has probably never ever actually been to Italy.

My first trip to Italy was three months past my 18th birthday, just
out of Bootcamp. I made three Med cruises that included Italy. When
you were 18 you dropped out of high school and high tailed it to
Canada to avoid the draft. On my 18th birthday I enlisted in the Navy
to avoid the Army, digging foxholes and living in dirt didn't appeal
to me. I'll be 76 this coming May, you can do the math.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 2/18/2019 4:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > People underestimate the importance of the lowly hyphen.
> >
> > Double-sweet sausage is twice as sweet.
> > Double sweet sausage is twice as much sweet sausage.
> >

> Yes.

+1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://foursquare.com/v/lb-spumoni-...64a520f85a1fe3

https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...t=loki-keyword

> > If it's a small enough piece, I can imagine it.
> >
> > PS: I've been to Breukelen.

> The Italian places on Staten Island served huge portions. The casual
> places served pizza by the slice. Angela and I would split one slice
> of pizza and the smallest salad we could get and that was still huge.
> We could not finish all the food. Made the mistake of trying to split
> an order of ravioli once. Far too much food.
>
> When my parents came to visit, we'd each order a different thing and
> ask for a box right away. Most of it was taken home,. There would be
> enough food for my husband to have a meal after he got home from work
> and then lunch the next day for all of us.

I've seen places supersize things too. Doggie bags are my friends!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:23:40 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>S Viemeister wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2019 4:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> > People underestimate the importance of the lowly hyphen.
>> >
>> > Double-sweet sausage is twice as sweet.
>> > Double sweet sausage is twice as much sweet sausage.
>> >

>> Yes.

>+1

Just for fun: +1 to what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

> https://foursquare.com/v/lb-spumoni-...64a520f85a1fe3
>> > >

> https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...t=loki-keyword
>> >
>> > If it's a small enough piece, I can imagine it.
>> >
>> > PS: I've been to Breukelen.

>> The Italian places on Staten Island served huge portions. The casual
>> places served pizza by the slice. Angela and I would split one slice
>> of pizza and the smallest salad we could get and that was still huge.
>> We could not finish all the food. Made the mistake of trying to split
>> an order of ravioli once. Far too much food.
>>
>> When my parents came to visit, we'd each order a different thing and
>> ask for a box right away. Most of it was taken home,. There would be
>> enough food for my husband to have a meal after he got home from work
>> and then lunch the next day for all of us.

> I've seen places supersize things too. Doggie bags are my friends!

I dislike huge portions and doggy bags. They were rather a fact of life in
NY but here, most places offer more sensible portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> I find salami with fennel and sometimes anise, like Tuscan Finocchiona, can
> be a bit too overpowering.

i really like strong fennel or anise flavors.
one reason i dislike many pre-made sausages is
that they wimp out on spices. the one i recall
so fondly is very strong garlic flavor along
with the spices. it stands up well to saurkraut
or pretty much anything with it.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Careful, when Gary's "just teasing", that's when Nasty Gary comes out!

On the other side there is *always* nasty, judgemental Bruce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:11:40 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Careful, when Gary's "just teasing", that's when Nasty Gary comes out!

>On the other side there is *always* nasty, judgemental Bruce.

I judge ingredients, not people. (It's on my kitchen wall.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:11:40 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Careful, when Gary's "just teasing", that's when Nasty Gary comes out!

> >On the other side there is *always* nasty, judgemental Bruce.

> I judge ingredients, not people. (It's on my kitchen wall.)

Sorry but not just judging ingredients. Once you disapprove, you
have a very large vocabulary of insults to follow. Self appointed
food cop, you are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 14:32:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >On the other side there is *always* nasty, judgemental Bruce.

>> I judge ingredients, not people. (It's on my kitchen wall.)

>Sorry but not just judging ingredients. Once you disapprove, you
>have a very large vocabulary of insults to follow. Self appointed
>food cop, you are.

I called you a redneck, but that wasn't just about the food you eat.
It was a comprehensive analysis of your personality

Besides, aren't you proud to be called a redneck?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> Pamela wrote:
> > I find salami with fennel and sometimes anise, like Tuscan
> > Finocchiona, can be a bit too overpowering.

> i really like strong fennel or anise flavors.
> one reason i dislike many pre-made sausages is
> that they wimp out on spices. the one i recall
> so fondly is very strong garlic flavor along
> with the spices. it stands up well to saurkraut
> or pretty much anything with it.
>

> songbird

Thats why I took to making my own blend. I added all the different
things I like in sausage and put it in a jar ready for use.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's sausage seasoning
Categories: Xxcarol, Sausage
Yield: 1 Servings

2 ts Salt
2 ts Anise seed
1 ts Black pepper
1 ts Oregano
1 ts Ginger
1 ts Thyme
1 ts Garlic powder
1/2 ts Onion powder
3/4 ts Hot hungarian paprika

Hi all, this mix can be doubled and tripled and stored in a jar for
use.

Add this to ground pork, mix well. I normally add about 1 TB to a
1.5lb of ground pork but taste test that to see if it's more than you
want.

I make it into patties and freeze as is to cook when ready.

From the VB Kitchen of xxcarol: typed up 8Mar16

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 10:56:00 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>
> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed..
>
> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> them.
>
> Jill

i usually buy delisio frozen pizza with 3 meats. i saute some mushrooms in butter and put on top, a little extra cheese and bacon if i have it. and/or sausage(usually a mild italian). i also add a bit of tomato sauce(just passata). i like my pizza more loaded than what you get at the store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 04:19:48 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 10:56:00 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
>> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
>> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
>> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
>> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>>
>> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
>> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
>> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
>> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
>> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
>>
>> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
>> them.
>>
>> Jill

>i usually buy delisio frozen pizza with 3 meats. i saute some mushrooms in butter and put on top, a little extra cheese and bacon if i have it. and/or sausage(usually a mild italian). i also add a bit of tomato sauce(just passata). i like my pizza more loaded than what you get at the store.

what do you mean good frozen pizza? There is no such thing. Too much
added crap and chemicals. Makes the pizza taste like crap... You want
an easy delicious pizza? Buy a soft tortilla shell whatever cheese you
want, whatever toppings you want find your preferred pizza sauce..
dress the pizza with sauce then cheese then toppings or do it whatever
hell the way that you want then put it in the airfryer or oven for 6-8
minutes at 400 degrees and you have a delicious thin crust pizza.

Now quit buying that frozen crap. You are making my taste buds weep
with agony...

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:39:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 04:19:48 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 10:56:00 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> >> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> >> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> >> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
> >> lot of tomato sauce, either.
> >>
> >> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> >> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
> >> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> >> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> >> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as directed.
> >>
> >> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> >> them.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >i usually buy delisio frozen pizza with 3 meats. i saute some mushrooms in butter and put on top, a little extra cheese and bacon if i have it. and/or sausage(usually a mild italian). i also add a bit of tomato sauce(just passata). i like my pizza more loaded than what you get at the store.

> what do you mean good frozen pizza? There is no such thing. Too much
> added crap and chemicals. Makes the pizza taste like crap... You want
> an easy delicious pizza? Buy a soft tortilla shell whatever cheese you
> want, whatever toppings you want find your preferred pizza sauce..
> dress the pizza with sauce then cheese then toppings or do it whatever
> hell the way that you want then put it in the airfryer or oven for 6-8
> minutes at 400 degrees and you have a delicious thin crust pizza.
>
> Now quit buying that frozen crap. You are making my taste buds weep
> with agony...

Sorry, tortillas are too thin. I either make my own from scratch or
have pizza delivered.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 10:19:28 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:39:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 04:19:48 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:

>> >i usually buy delisio frozen pizza with 3 meats. i saute some mushrooms in butter and put on top, a little extra cheese and bacon if i have it. and/or sausage(usually a mild italian). i also add a bit of tomato sauce(just passata). i like my pizza more loaded than what you get at the store.

>> what do you mean good frozen pizza? There is no such thing. Too much
>> added crap and chemicals. Makes the pizza taste like crap... You want
>> an easy delicious pizza? Buy a soft tortilla shell whatever cheese you
>> want, whatever toppings you want find your preferred pizza sauce..
>> dress the pizza with sauce then cheese then toppings or do it whatever
>> hell the way that you want then put it in the airfryer or oven for 6-8
>> minutes at 400 degrees and you have a delicious thin crust pizza.
>>
>> Now quit buying that frozen crap. You are making my taste buds weep
>> with agony...

>Sorry, tortillas are too thin. I either make my own from scratch or
>have pizza delivered.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

well granted that one must enjoy a thin crust pizza, but I have found
an alternative to it as I have done this before.

I would take 2 torts and place cheese between the two and then sauce
the top and add my meats or veggies

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 9:39:10 AM UTC-6, wrote:

> what do you mean good frozen pizza? There is no such thing. Too much
> added crap and chemicals. Makes the pizza taste like crap.

Try a Newman's Own frozen pizza.
> You want
> an easy delicious pizza? Buy a soft tortilla shell whatever cheese you
> want, whatever toppings you want find your preferred pizza sauce..
> dress the pizza with sauce then cheese then toppings or do it whatever
> hell the way that you want then put it in the airfryer or oven for 6-8
> minutes at 400 degrees and you have a delicious thin crust pizza.

Nope. If I'm going to go to all that trouble of making my own I'll either
opt for a Newman's or just head to the pizza joint.

> Now quit buying that frozen crap. You are making my taste buds weep
> with agony...

When you've had a Newman' Own then you can come back a lecture us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:37:30 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 9:39:10 AM UTC-6, wrote:
>>
>> what do you mean good frozen pizza? There is no such thing. Too much
>> added crap and chemicals. Makes the pizza taste like crap.
>>

>Try a Newman's Own frozen pizza.
>> You want
>> an easy delicious pizza? Buy a soft tortilla shell whatever cheese you
>> want, whatever toppings you want find your preferred pizza sauce..
>> dress the pizza with sauce then cheese then toppings or do it whatever
>> hell the way that you want then put it in the airfryer or oven for 6-8
>> minutes at 400 degrees and you have a delicious thin crust pizza.
>>

>Nope. If I'm going to go to all that trouble of making my own I'll either
>opt for a Newman's or just head to the pizza joint.

all that trouble? it takes all of 5 minutes and if you have an
airfryer it will be heated by that time the cooking takes 7 and you
have a 12 minute pizza vs delivery which takes 30-45 or go to the
store and spend just as much time

>> Now quit buying that frozen crap. You are making my taste buds weep
>> with agony...
>>

>When you've had a Newman' Own then you can come back a lecture us.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:37:30 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Nope. If I'm going to go to all that trouble of making my own I'll either
> >opt for a Newman's or just head to the pizza joint.

> all that trouble? it takes all of 5 minutes and if you have an
> airfryer it will be heated by that time the cooking takes 7 and you
> have a 12 minute pizza vs delivery which takes 30-45 or go to the
> store and spend just as much time

Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling it a
pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint. No,
I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest of
us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use toasted whole wheat bread for the crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 15:05:20 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:37:30 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Nope. If I'm going to go to all that trouble of making my own I'll either
>> >opt for a Newman's or just head to the pizza joint.

>> all that trouble? it takes all of 5 minutes and if you have an
>> airfryer it will be heated by that time the cooking takes 7 and you
>> have a 12 minute pizza vs delivery which takes 30-45 or go to the
>> store and spend just as much time
>>

>Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling it a
>pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint. No,
>I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest of
>us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them pizza.

A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:46:01 -0500, wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 15:05:20 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:37:30 -0800 (PST), "

>>> all that trouble? it takes all of 5 minutes and if you have an
>>> airfryer it will be heated by that time the cooking takes 7 and you
>>> have a 12 minute pizza vs delivery which takes 30-45 or go to the
>>> store and spend just as much time
>>>

>>Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling it a
>>pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint. No,
>>I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest of
>>us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them pizza.

>A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
>contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
>Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
>for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

Do you think there is leavening in dominos pizzas pre made thin crust
pizzas? If you are wondering no there is not. They are basically a
thick tortilla, and yes I do know this I did manage a dominos awhile
back.

Now just to be clear, I will say that a long time ago before dominos
premade their thin crust it was actually hand tossed very thin and
there was leavening in that dough, but they did change that when they
started premaking thin crust and that would about 25 or so years ago.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 1:59:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:46:01 -0500, wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 15:05:20 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:

> >>Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling it a
> >>pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint. No,
> >>I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest of
> >>us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them pizza.

> >A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
> >contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
> >Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
> >for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

> Do you think there is leavening in dominos pizzas pre made thin crust
> pizzas? If you are wondering no there is not. They are basically a
> thick tortilla, and yes I do know this I did manage a dominos awhile
> back.
>
> Now just to be clear, I will say that a long time ago before dominos
> premade their thin crust it was actually hand tossed very thin and
> there was leavening in that dough, but they did change that when they
> started premaking thin crust and that would about 25 or so years ago.

I recall when Domino's was a local chain with half a dozen stores. Their
pizza was good then.

In any event, I don't care for a cracker-like pizza crust. If it
doesn't have some chew, it's not worth it.

All this talk of pizza induced me to defrost some of my homemade crust.
It'll be pizza tonight for us.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 11:22:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 1:59:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:46:01 -0500, wrote:

>> >A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
>> >contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
>> >Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
>> >for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

>> Do you think there is leavening in dominos pizzas pre made thin crust
>> pizzas? If you are wondering no there is not. They are basically a
>> thick tortilla, and yes I do know this I did manage a dominos awhile
>> back.
>>
>> Now just to be clear, I will say that a long time ago before dominos
>> premade their thin crust it was actually hand tossed very thin and
>> there was leavening in that dough, but they did change that when they
>> started premaking thin crust and that would about 25 or so years ago.

>I recall when Domino's was a local chain with half a dozen stores. Their
>pizza was good then.
>
>In any event, I don't care for a cracker-like pizza crust. If it
>doesn't have some chew, it's not worth it.
>
>All this talk of pizza induced me to defrost some of my homemade crust.
>It'll be pizza tonight for us.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

POG is the best

Pepperoni - onion - green pepper

POG is the code we used when we hand wrote all of our orders

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 04:19:48 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>>On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 10:56:00 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>> Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
>>> I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
>>> day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
>>> I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use a
>>> lot of tomato sauce, either.
>>>
>>> I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
>>> white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of them.
>>> I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
>>> add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
>>> dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as
>>> directed.
>>>
>>> Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Jill

>>i usually buy delisio frozen pizza with 3 meats. i saute some mushrooms
>>in butter and put on top, a little extra cheese and bacon if i have it.
>>and/or sausage(usually a mild italian). i also add a bit of tomato
>>sauce(just passata). i like my pizza more loaded than what you get at the
>>store.

> what do you mean good frozen pizza? There is no such thing. Too much
> added crap and chemicals. Makes the pizza taste like crap... You want
> an easy delicious pizza? Buy a soft tortilla shell whatever cheese you
> want, whatever toppings you want find your preferred pizza sauce..
> dress the pizza with sauce then cheese then toppings or do it whatever
> hell the way that you want then put it in the airfryer or oven for 6-8
> minutes at 400 degrees and you have a delicious thin crust pizza.
>
> Now quit buying that frozen crap. You are making my taste buds weep
> with agony...

That does not make pizza. A tortilla doesn't taste like pizza crust. And
check the ingredients in tortillas. Lots of crap in there too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-6,
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:37:30 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Nope. If I'm going to go to all that trouble of making my own I'll
>> >either
>> >opt for a Newman's or just head to the pizza joint.

>> all that trouble? it takes all of 5 minutes and if you have an
>> airfryer it will be heated by that time the cooking takes 7 and you
>> have a 12 minute pizza vs delivery which takes 30-45 or go to the
>> store and spend just as much time
>>

> Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling
> it a
> pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint.
> No,
> I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest
> of
> us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them
> pizza.

I tried the tortilla thing years ago. Nope.

Even quicker, dump a can of chopped tomatoes and whatever cheese you want in
a microwave safe dish. Add Italian herbs. Nuke. Hey, it's even GF. Taste of
pizza without the carbs.

Not that I normally do that mind you. Did it twice many years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling
>>>it a
>>>pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint.
>>>No,
>>>I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the
>>>rest of
>>>us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them
>>>pizza.

>>A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
>>contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
>>Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
>>for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

> Do you think there is leavening in dominos pizzas pre made thin crust
> pizzas? If you are wondering no there is not. They are basically a
> thick tortilla, and yes I do know this I did manage a dominos awhile
> back.
>
> Now just to be clear, I will say that a long time ago before dominos
> premade their thin crust it was actually hand tossed very thin and
> there was leavening in that dough, but they did change that when they
> started premaking thin crust and that would about 25 or so years ago.

You wouldn't know leavening if it bit you in the ass.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/h...-pizza-at-home

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 21:56:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

.. .

wrote:

>>>A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
>>>contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
>>>Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
>>>for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

>> Do you think there is leavening in dominos pizzas pre made thin crust
>> pizzas? If you are wondering no there is not. They are basically a
>> thick tortilla, and yes I do know this I did manage a dominos awhile
>> back.
>>
>> Now just to be clear, I will say that a long time ago before dominos
>> premade their thin crust it was actually hand tossed very thin and
>> there was leavening in that dough, but they did change that when they
>> started premaking thin crust and that would about 25 or so years ago.

>You wouldn't know leavening if it bit you in the ass.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/h...-pizza-at-home

Wow are you serious with that?

Ask yourself how can you tell if a pizza has a leavening? Does it
bubble when cooking? That is a sure fire way of knowing weather a
pizza has some type of yeast in it. When it is cooked in a very hot
oven bubbles will form over the pizza. There is a special tool that we
used in order to pop those bubbles because they could get real big and
push all the topping to one side. So we had to pop those bubbles. Thin
crust pizzas (the premade ones) never bubbled.

But back to you. You of all the news outlets chose fox as your source
of information? First television news media is complete crap. They
will do whatever or say whatever just so that you will watch their
commercials

From your article @ fox
"The best way to get a pizza crust really thin is to sheet the dough
into the pan, which is done by most professionals using a dough
roller. "

I will say that in some industrial setting where they premake their
crusts they may use rollers or more precisely machines will roll the
dough.

However such as in a dominos pizza shop there are no rollers at all.
In order to make a thin crust you would first press in on the inside
of the outer edge and sort of roll your fingers under to make a lip in
the dough. then with the outside edges of your hands you place then on
either side of the dough inside the grove of the lip you made. Then
slowly you begin to stretch the dough by sliding your hands apart and
spinning the dough. eventually you can pick up the dough and "slap" it
back and fourth in your hands creating a very thin pie shaped dough.

And that is the way that the ball bounces!!

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 5:28:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> POG is the best
>
> Pepperoni - onion - green pepper
>
> POG is the code we used when we hand wrote all of our orders

I don't care for cooked green pepper. You can have my share.

My typical homemade pizza is

Crust
Brushed with garlic-flavored olive oil
A VERY small amount of cheese
Diced tomatoes

Bake

Top with minced parsley and basil when it comes out of the oven.

It occurred to me that I haven't had a pizza with broccoli on it
in quite some time. I'll probably try to have some on hand for
my next pizza.

Cindy Hamilton