Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Good (frozen) Pizza

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 6:21:31 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 12:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 5:50:30 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > > On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:25:37 GMT, Pamela >
> > > wrote:
> > > snip

> > > try baking your pizza closer to the bottom of the oven, bottom rack if
> > > necessary. Maybe less toppings?

> > I'll bake my pizza on the floor of the oven and then finish it off under the
> > broiler. It's a fast way to bake a pizza.
> >
> > If it's a frozen pizza, it gets cooked on a rack near the bottom.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...FcXr4JzsiTd2pn
> > ==
> >
> > That pizza looks jolly good! What is the topping?

> It's a pizza with a pesto instead of a tomato sauce base. What's on there is chopped shitake mushrooms, salami, feta cheese, and lots of chopped garlic. Feta cheese sounds like a good idea on a pizza but it's not.

It's fine if you use it as a topping, but not as the main cheese.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> I don't think I've ever had a rye dough pizza.

i could easily do a ham and cheese with a mustard
layer as the sauce right about now.

pretty much any dish can be adapted with some
imagination (except soups ).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 12:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 5:50:30 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B.
> > wrote:
> > > On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:25:37 GMT, Pamela >
> > > wrote:
> > > snip

> > > flavour was >> good, but they were still partly raw after 20
> > > minutes in the oven. Not >> good. Either I have to prebake the
> > > bottoms or give them more rise >> time, so they bake faster (if
> > > that's true). Or make them thinner, but >> they were already
> > > quite thin.
> > > >

> > > try baking your pizza closer to the bottom of the oven, bottom
> > > rack if necessary. Maybe less toppings?

> > I'll bake my pizza on the floor of the oven and then finish it off
> > under the broiler. It's a fast way to bake a pizza.
> >
> > If it's a frozen pizza, it gets cooked on a rack near the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...FcXr4JzsiTd2pn
> > ==
> >
> > That pizza looks jolly good! What is the topping?

> It's a pizza with a pesto instead of a tomato sauce base. What's on
> there is chopped shitake mushrooms, salami, feta cheese, and lots of
> chopped garlic. Feta cheese sounds like a good idea on a pizza but
> it's not.

Actually Feta is good with pizza but I find it's too strong to use that
much of.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2019, Pamela wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > On 14:40 16 Feb 2019, Fruitiest of >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On 15 Feb 2019, Ophelia wrote (in article

> > > I have no choice, because my stomach stages an excruciatingly
> > > painful protest if I eat cheese (or anything dairy in more than
> > > minute quantity) from cows. I know I am a bit obsessive about
> > > these things but believe me, dairy intestinal intolerance is not
> > > something I would wish on my worst enemy.
> > >
> > > For some reason, proper buffalo cheese is ok; and a small amount
> > > of very mild cheddar can be ok as long as it is thoroughly cooked.

> > Hello fruity. Could it be psychological because buffalo and cattle
> > are closely related. In fact, doesn't "dairy" include products like
> > bufallo cheese?

> It might be psychological but I have no evidence for that.
>
> If I eat food containing fresh cream or uncooked butter, I get the
> problem even though I didnt realise the ingredients were there.
>
> Cooking the dairy product seems to cure most of my cramps, etc.Why
> this is I dont know.
>

> > > Waitrose do some decent fresh pizzas which rarely have any
> > > effect, but cheaper outlets (Iceland in particular) seem to add a
> > > processed cheese which appears to be all manner of milk solids,
> > > chemicals and other colouring nonsense; which is dried and then
> > > grated to look like the real thing. I had one of my worst nights
> > > after eating one of their pizzas.

> > If dairy is the cause of your response then why would you react to
> > something that isn't dairy?

> It was dairy, just cheap dairy disguised to look more expensive.
>

> > > The problem for me is that I really like pizzas.

It's probably not phycological. There are several types of lactose
intolerance, just like it can come in degrees.

I have a friend who tolerates a modicum of very well aged cheese ok,
but little else. There's a chemical shift in it to the lactose if the
cheese is starting to sort of grow almost crystals on the outside?
(Thats how he described it and I've seen the occasional odd bit at the
back of my fridge that seemed like that, a wrapped up end bit of
cracker barrell).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> It's a pizza with a pesto instead of a tomato sauce base. What's on there is chopped shitake mushrooms, salami, feta cheese, and lots of chopped garlic. Feta cheese sounds like a good idea on a pizza but it's not.

Your pizza looks very tasty. I sometime put feta on a pizza but
not for cooking. I'll just crumble a bit over the slices on the
plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:12:59 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>Didn't realise you're familiar with sourdough starters. Good that you
>have the patience because I don't.

It's more about planning than about patience. Building up the active
starter starts a day in advance, but it's very little work.

>> The difference here is that the pizza bottom uses the bit of
>> starter you discard when you're feeding the starter without making
>> bread. That's another story indeed.

>Don't understand. Are you using discarded bread dough starter for pizza
>dough?

Yes. I always threw half away when I'd feed the starter without making
a new bread. Then I saw this:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...a-crust-recipe

Except, I'm trying to do it without adding baker's yeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:15:49 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> I don't think I've ever had a rye dough pizza.

> i could easily do a ham and cheese with a mustard
>layer as the sauce right about now.
>
> pretty much any dish can be adapted with some
>imagination (except soups ).

I'm familiar with rye, but not in a pizza base.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 12:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 5:50:30 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:25:37 GMT, Pamela >
> > wrote:
> > snip

> > try baking your pizza closer to the bottom of the oven, bottom rack if
> > necessary. Maybe less toppings?

> I'll bake my pizza on the floor of the oven and then finish it off under
> the
> broiler. It's a fast way to bake a pizza.
>
> If it's a frozen pizza, it gets cooked on a rack near the bottom.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...FcXr4JzsiTd2pn
> ==
>
> That pizza looks jolly good! What is the topping?

It's a pizza with a pesto instead of a tomato sauce base. What's on there is
chopped shitake mushrooms, salami, feta cheese, and lots of chopped garlic.
Feta cheese sounds like a good idea on a pizza but it's not.

==

Ahh thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
news.com...

On 16 Feb 2019, Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
> news.com...
>
> On 15 Feb 2019, Ophelia wrote
> (in article >):
>

> > "Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
> > news.com...
> >
> > On 15 Feb 2019, jmcquown wrote
> > (in article >):
> >
> > > Newman's Own White Pizza with Spinach. Thin crust. Most of you know
> > > I'm not a huge fan of pizza. I've made lots of homemade pizzas in my
> > > day but it's really not my favourite thing. As I get older, as much as
> > > I love pepperoni it doesn't love me back anymore. I don't seem to use
> > > lot of tomato sauce, either.
> > >
> > > I was at the grocery store yesterday, perusing the frozen foods. This
> > > white pizza caught my eye. It was a BOGO and yes, I bought two of
> > > them.
> > > I also bought some finely shredded "Italian blend" cheese. I always
> > > add a little more cheese to frozen pizza. I also sprinkled it with a
> > > dried Italian herb blend. Baked it directly on the oven rack as
> > > directed.
> > >
> > > Quite tasty! The crust was perfectly crisped. I'm glad I bought two of
> > > them.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > If it is a pizza, shouldnt the cheese be mozzarella? From a buffalo?
> >
> > ---
> >
> > I always make my own, but yes, that is what I use!

> I have no choice, because my stomach stages an excruciatingly painful
> protest
> if I eat cheese (or anything dairy in more than minute quantity) from
> cows.
> know I am a bit obsessive about these things but believe me, dairy
> intestinal
> intolerance is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.
>
> For some reason, proper buffalo cheese is ok; and a small amount of very
> mild
> cheddar can be ok as long as it is thoroughly cooked.
>
> Waitrose do some decent fresh pizzas which rarely have any effect, but
> cheaper outlets (Iceland in particular) seem to add a processed "cheese
> which appears to be all manner of milk solids, chemicals and other
> colouring
> nonsense; which is dried and then grated to look like the real thing. I
> had
> one of my worst nights after eating one of their pizzas.
>
> The problem for me is that I really like pizzas.
>
> ==
>
> Well at least you can get what you want if you want to buy it.
>
> Have you tried making your own? it is really easy

Yes, I make my own but need the mozzarella to put on it, but my wife buys
the
cheese and she likes really strong mature stuff so that I have to remember
buy the buffalo cheese myself.

It is more convenient to get one already prepared.

===

Yes I can see that, but you could buy you own if you wanted !

However, I expect If that you could choose your own it would be better

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> wrote:

> You just stepped over the line. Eggs on pizza - shudder. I bet you
> are liking fried eggs on burgers too.
> Not Me

Back in the olden days, the Mapes Hotel in Reno served a open faced
burger with a over easy egg on top, smothered in chili. I liked them. I
used to make them. I can't figure out now why I stopped.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:38:21 -0500, songbird wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:43:35 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe. The vegetarian pizza at college was a very mild, orange,
>>> Cheddar-style mass-market cheese with peas and carrots.

>> Nebraska? No cabbage?

> saurkraut and double sweet italian sausage...

"Double sweet Italian sausage"? It looks like there are two pizza
places in the world that use this term, one on Lung Island, the
other in Orlando.

There is no such thing as "Double sweet Italian sausage" and
anybody using that term doesn't know what "sweet" means when
referencing savory Italian foods. "Sweet" means very mild, not very
spicy, and not piquant. So "Double sweet" would mean no spices at
all, making "double sweet Italian sausage" the equivalent of ground
pork, and an oxymoron.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:26:45 +0000, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2019, Sqwertz wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:47 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 00:05:47 -0600, >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> snip

>>> You just stepped over the line. Eggs on pizza - shudder. I bet you
>>> are liking fried eggs on burgers too.
>>> Not Me

>> Eggs on pizza is a Genu-wine Associazione Verace Pizza
>> Napoletana-endorsed topping. All the certified Napoletana places
>> offer eggs on pizza. Speaking of which, maybe I'll dine at Cane
>> Rosso tonight... Either the Hot Rob or the Honey ******* (the quail
>> egg are on the specials menu or added to any other pizza on
>> request).
>>
>> http://www.canerosso.com/austin

> They call them Florentine pizzas in many restaurants.

No they don't. Florentine means spinach.

Dinner last night was at home, but still Italian. Italian medium
sausage, peppers, and onions on Italian-ish rolls with tomato sauce,
pesto mayo and provolone.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 08:45:47 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> You just stepped over the line. Eggs on pizza - shudder. I bet you
> are liking fried eggs on burgers too.
> Not Me

And yes, on hamburgers too. Kimchi, fried egg, lettuce, and
sriracha mayo on a bulgogi-seasoned American wagyu beef burger and
toasted bun.

https://i.postimg.cc/NfnKrhXp/Bulgog...i-Burger-2.jpg

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 16:16:00 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 12:26:45 +0000, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>
>> On 16 Feb 2019, Sqwertz wrote
>> (in article >):

>>> Eggs on pizza is a Genu-wine Associazione Verace Pizza
>>> Napoletana-endorsed topping. All the certified Napoletana places
>>> offer eggs on pizza. Speaking of which, maybe I'll dine at Cane
>>> Rosso tonight... Either the Hot Rob or the Honey ******* (the quail
>>> egg are on the specials menu or added to any other pizza on
>>> request).
>>>
>>> http://www.canerosso.com/austin

>> They call them Florentine pizzas in many restaurants.

>No they don't. Florentine means spinach.
>
>Dinner last night was at home, but still Italian. Italian medium
>sausage, peppers, and onions on Italian-ish rolls with tomato sauce,
>pesto mayo and provolone.

A child's dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> > wrote:
>
>> You just stepped over the line. Eggs on pizza - shudder. I bet you
>> are liking fried eggs on burgers too.
>> Not Me

> Back in the olden days, the Mapes Hotel in Reno served a open faced
> burger with a over easy egg on top, smothered in chili. I liked them. I
> used to make them. I can't figure out now why I stopped.
>
> leo

Steak and shake still offers a Royale burger. It has a fried egg on top
of the hamburger patty. I had one about a month ago. Not bad, but It was
more food than I needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:05:57 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> wrote:
>
>> You just stepped over the line. Eggs on pizza - shudder. I bet you
>> are liking fried eggs on burgers too.
>> Not Me

>Back in the olden days, the Mapes Hotel in Reno served a open faced
>burger with a over easy egg on top, smothered in chili. I liked them. I
>used to make them. I can't figure out now why I stopped.
>
>leo

A couple over easys atop a griddled 1" thick fillet mignon with a big
side of home fries and baked beans with bottomless cuppa joe was
called a Battle Breakfast... got twenty minutes to wolf it down. Those
were the best beef steaks I've seen since.

Some wierdos opted for a bowl of ferina and a banana... there were
faggots aboard ship, my brother. Rogena will be here any minute.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> songbird wrote:

>> saurkraut and double sweet italian sausage...

> "Double sweet Italian sausage"? It looks like there are two pizza
> places in the world that use this term, one on Lung Island, the
> other in Orlando.
>
> There is no such thing as "Double sweet Italian sausage" and
> anybody using that term doesn't know what "sweet" means when
> referencing savory Italian foods. "Sweet" means very mild, not very
> spicy, and not piquant. So "Double sweet" would mean no spices at
> all, making "double sweet Italian sausage" the equivalent of ground
> pork, and an oxymoron.

double as in amount. like double mushrooms,
double onions, double cheese...

there are many kinds of sweet italian sausage and
some of them i've had are indeed sweet (from fennel
or anise or the liquors from such or ...).

i still wish i could find the recipe for the one
from up north that i've not been able to figure out.
the place is now out of business.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 12:06:03 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> > wrote:
>
> > You just stepped over the line. Eggs on pizza - shudder. I bet you
> > are liking fried eggs on burgers too.
> > Not Me

> Back in the olden days, the Mapes Hotel in Reno served a open faced
> burger with a over easy egg on top, smothered in chili. I liked them. I
> used to make them. I can't figure out now why I stopped.
>
> leo

I believe that eggs over easy on top of a hamburger is going to be trending. It's a popular breakfast over here except that we put the burger over rice and then put gravy over it.

http://eurekasdnews.com/recipes/loco...reakfast-ever/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:38:13 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Yoose forgot the pineapple yoose always ate for desert Popeye.

Desert - Dry, inhospitable place. Can be hot as hell or freezing cold.

Dessert - Last portion of a meal; usually sweet but not mandatory; can be
savory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:09:10 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:38:21 -0500, songbird wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Nebraska? No cabbage?

> > saurkraut and double sweet italian sausage...

> "Double sweet Italian sausage"? It looks like there are two pizza
> places in the world that use this term, one on Lung Island, the
> other in Orlando.
>
> There is no such thing as "Double sweet Italian sausage" and
> anybody using that term doesn't know what "sweet" means when
> referencing savory Italian foods. "Sweet" means very mild, not very
> spicy, and not piquant. So "Double sweet" would mean no spices at
> all, making "double sweet Italian sausage" the equivalent of ground
> pork, and an oxymoron.
>
> -sw

I figured it meant "twice as much sweet Italian sausage as usual".

We've often ordered "double pepperoni" pizza.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:21:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 12:06:03 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> > In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > You just stepped over the line. Eggs on pizza - shudder. I bet you
> > > are liking fried eggs on burgers too.
> > > Not Me

> > Back in the olden days, the Mapes Hotel in Reno served a open faced
> > burger with a over easy egg on top, smothered in chili. I liked them. I
> > used to make them. I can't figure out now why I stopped.
> >
> > leo

> I believe that eggs over easy on top of a hamburger is going to be trending. It's a popular breakfast over here except that we put the burger over rice and then put gravy over it.
>
> http://eurekasdnews.com/recipes/loco...reakfast-ever/

We've got a place that has been serving eggs on burgers for 60 years.

Trending, my ass.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 19:43:01 -0500, songbird wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> saurkraut and double sweet italian sausage...

>> "Double sweet Italian sausage"? It looks like there are two pizza
>> places in the world that use this term, one on Lung Island, the
>> other in Orlando.
>>
>> There is no such thing as "Double sweet Italian sausage" and
>> anybody using that term doesn't know what "sweet" means when
>> referencing savory Italian foods. "Sweet" means very mild, not very
>> spicy, and not piquant. So "Double sweet" would mean no spices at
>> all, making "double sweet Italian sausage" the equivalent of ground
>> pork, and an oxymoron.

> double as in amount. like double mushrooms,
> double onions, double cheese...

I've never heard anyone order "double" anything on a pizza. 99.999%
of people use the term "extra".

> there are many kinds of sweet italian sausage and
> some of them i've had are indeed sweet (from fennel
> or anise or the liquors from such or ...).

I think you're trying to weasel out of your brain fart.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 03:02:06 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:09:10 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> saurkraut and double sweet italian sausage...

>> "Double sweet Italian sausage"? It looks like there are two pizza
>> places in the world that use this term, one on Lung Island, the
>> other in Orlando.
>>
>> There is no such thing as "Double sweet Italian sausage" and
>> anybody using that term doesn't know what "sweet" means when
>> referencing savory Italian foods. "Sweet" means very mild, not very
>> spicy, and not piquant. So "Double sweet" would mean no spices at
>> all, making "double sweet Italian sausage" the equivalent of ground
>> pork, and an oxymoron.
>>
>> -sw

> I figured it meant "twice as much sweet Italian sausage as usual".
>
> We've often ordered "double pepperoni" pizza.

I took it to mean a fictitious pizza. As in Double TIAD Pizza.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2019 10:13 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 19:43:01 -0500, songbird wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>> songbird wrote:

>> double as in amount. like double mushrooms,
>> double onions, double cheese...

> I've never heard anyone order "double" anything on a pizza. 99.999%
> of people use the term "extra".

> -sw

You should maybe get out more. Could be a regional thing, but I've
heard it often in New England.

This place does not offer extra, only X2
https://www.papaginos.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1:37:10 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 8:21:35 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > I believe that eggs over easy on top of a hamburger is going to be
> > > trending. It's a popular breakfast over here except that we put the
> > > burger over rice and then put gravy over it.
> > >
> > > http://eurekasdnews.com/recipes/loco...reakfast-ever/

> > We've got a place that has been serving eggs on burgers for 60 years.
> >
> > Trending, my ass.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I've had it too, but it's more the method and 'loco moco trending'.
>
> Yours are probably not over rice with beef gravy

Nope. On a bun, the way a hamburger should be.

Not, you know, that I eat egg on a burger. Why put protein
on protein? I'm more of a lettuce, tomato, onion and (maybe)
pickle type of girl.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:35:09 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 12:06:03 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell
>> wrote:

>> > Back in the olden days, the Mapes Hotel in Reno served a open faced
>> > burger with a over easy egg on top, smothered in chili. I liked
>> > them. I used to make them. I can't figure out now why I stopped.
>> >
>> > leo

>> I believe that eggs over easy on top of a hamburger is going to be
>> trending. It's a popular breakfast over here except that we put the
>> burger over rice and then put gravy over it.
>>
>> http://eurekasdnews.com/recipes/loco...reakfast-ever/

>I like it! Too large of a serving for 1 person for us at 1/2lb meat
>but if we wanted to pig out, might only make 2 servings. Most likely,
>it would be 3 servings here or we would add another egg topper (sloppy
>like in the pic) and get 4 servings.

That looks like how I prepare hash... fill a roasting pan with the
hash mixture and bake until just set, then with the back of a large
spoon make sevral depressions in the top and fill each with a raw egg
and continue baking until eggs are cooked to your liking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 3:27:54 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 12:39:29 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Sqwertz wrote:

> >> very >> spicy, and not piquant. So "Double sweet" would mean no
> >> spices at >> all, making "double sweet Italian sausage" the
> >> equivalent of ground >> pork, and an oxymoron.

> >> I've never heard anyone order "double" anything on a pizza. 99.999%
> >> of people use the term "extra".

> >> I think you're trying to weasel out of your brain fart.
> >>
> >> -sw

> >I think you are being an idiot because the term 'double the sweet
> >sausage' isn't common where you are.

> I've never heard of Double sweet saw-seege... is it served in Double D
> cups? In fact I've never seen any pizza joint say whetherr their
> pizza's saw-seege topping is hot or sweet. I'm sure they use sweet as
> there's a shaker of hot pepper flakes on each table.

People underestimate the importance of the lowly hyphen.

Double-sweet sausage is twice as sweet.
Double sweet sausage is twice as much sweet sausage.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2019 4:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> People underestimate the importance of the lowly hyphen.
>
> Double-sweet sausage is twice as sweet.
> Double sweet sausage is twice as much sweet sausage.

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2019 4:03 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 3:27:54 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

>>> I think you are being an idiot because the term 'double the sweet
>>> sausage' isn't common where you are.

>> I've never heard of Double sweet saw-seege... is it served in Double D
>> cups? In fact I've never seen any pizza joint say whetherr their
>> pizza's saw-seege topping is hot or sweet. I'm sure they use sweet as
>> there's a shaker of hot pepper flakes on each table.

> People underestimate the importance of the lowly hyphen.
>
> Double-sweet sausage is twice as sweet.
> Double sweet sausage is twice as much sweet sausage.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hyphens are expensive, use them sparingly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Perhaps it's a regionalism. I've never found a pizza joint that
> didn't know what "double pepperoni" meant.

ya!

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message

>>You've never been to Brooklyn. Very often a group will order a
>>Sicilian pie to share as an appetizer
>>https://foursquare.com/v/lb-spumoni-...64a520f85a1fe3
>>https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...t=loki-keyword

> If it's a small enough piece, I can imagine it.
>
> PS: I've been to Breukelen.

The Italian places on Staten Island served huge portions. The casual places
served pizza by the slice. Angela and I would split one slice of pizza and
the smallest salad we could get and that was still huge. We could not finish
all the food. Made the mistake of trying to split an order of ravioli once.
Far too much food.

When my parents came to visit, we'd each order a different thing and ask for
a box right away. Most of it was taken home,. There would be enough food for
my husband to have a meal after he got home from work and then lunch the
next day for all of us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2019 7:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> So question for you. If your pizza is just an appetizer, what
>> might be the "main" course to follow?

> I had a friend who lived in Milan for about a year. He said the pizza
> there was not like ours here. Nor was it served in the same way. He said
> it was smaller, with thin crust and sparse topping. Usually just cheese
> and fresh herbs. It was eaten more like a snack. People would run
> outside with pizzas on a peel and you would buy slices from them just
> like that. He said it sold instantly so if you really wanted some, you
> would have to wait outside of the door to one of the shops. Now this was
> about 40 years ago. Things could have changed.

I've spent some weeks in different parts of Italy and that is still at
least somewhat true. In the tourist areas they are more Americanized
now but sparse topping and by the slice is very common.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 16:53:04 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Real Italian Pizza is pretty simple. After all, it is not meant to be the
>>> main course. Interesting that they have Water Buffalo Milk now in Italy.

>> Interesting that you say a pizza is not meant to be the main
>> course. Whenever I make pizza it's always the main course, unless
>> I might add a small salad. The simple dressing I use is also good
>> to dip pizza in.
>>
>> So question for you. If your pizza is just an appetizer, what
>> might be the "main" course to follow?

>I had a friend who lived in Milan for about a year. He said the pizza there
>was not like ours here. Nor was it served in the same way. He said it was
>smaller, with thin crust and sparse topping. Usually just cheese and fresh
>herbs. It was eaten more like a snack. People would run outside with pizzas
>on a peel and you would buy slices from them just like that. He said it sold
>instantly so if you really wanted some, you would have to wait outside of
>the door to one of the shops. Now this was about 40 years ago. Things could
>have changed.

I traveled throughout Italy some 60 years ago, what then was called
pizza was more a large cracker covered with herbs and olive oil, no
sauce and no cheeze... was served at espresso cafes.
I'd say what most people call pizza nowadays has nothing to do with
Italy, it's an American invention. What Italy serves now is an
American style pizza; sauce, cheeze, and all the American toppings...
there's nothing Italian about today's pizza. Originally pizza was
Jewish, Pletzel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pletzel