Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Good (frozen) Pizza

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 21:56:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

. ..

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/h...-pizza-at-home

> Wow are you serious with that?

Yeah. I even looked at the Dominos website. I'll post the link.

https://www.dominos.com/en/pages/con...gredients.jsp#

The ingredients even list leavening! Now you might find some flatbread
pizzas that don't have leavening but that's not a standard pizza. *All*
pizza crust has leavening. You're an idiot if you think it doesn't.

> Ask yourself how can you tell if a pizza has a leavening? Does it
> bubble when cooking? That is a sure fire way of knowing weather a
> pizza has some type of yeast in it. When it is cooked in a very hot
> oven bubbles will form over the pizza. There is a special tool that we
> used in order to pop those bubbles because they could get real big and
> push all the topping to one side. So we had to pop those bubbles. Thin
> crust pizzas (the premade ones) never bubbled.

You ARE an idiot. What you refer to is likely called a docking tool. I have
one for making crackers. I don't like thin crust pizza. I don't even like
pizza very much. Not even what I make from scratch. I do make good pizza. I
think being married to an Italian all those years put me off of pizza. Not
that I liked it much before I married him. I didn't.

> But back to you. You of all the news outlets chose fox as your source
> of information? First television news media is complete crap. They
> will do whatever or say whatever just so that you will watch their
> commercials

I just threw up the first link that I saw. Now I put up another. The Dominos
website itself. Like I said... I was married to an Italiam *and* I've been
baking from scratch since I was 8.

> From your article @ fox
> "The best way to get a pizza crust really thin is to sheet the dough
> into the pan, which is done by most professionals using a dough
> roller. "
>
> I will say that in some industrial setting where they premake their
> crusts they may use rollers or more precisely machines will roll the
> dough.

Who cares? I don't eat that crap.

> However such as in a dominos pizza shop there are no rollers at all.
> In order to make a thin crust you would first press in on the inside
> of the outer edge and sort of roll your fingers under to make a lip in
> the dough. then with the outside edges of your hands you place then on
> either side of the dough inside the grove of the lip you made. Then
> slowly you begin to stretch the dough by sliding your hands apart and
> spinning the dough. eventually you can pick up the dough and "slap" it
> back and fourth in your hands creating a very thin pie shaped dough.

I only put that link up to show you the ingredients. I do not slap my dough
or spin it. I think that's pretty much all for show. Let your dough rest for
long enough. It won't shrink back on itself and you can roll it or pat it
out or whatever as thin as you like.

> And that is the way that the ball bounces!!

It must have bounced off your head and knocked some brain cells out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 12:53:28 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-6,
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:37:30 -0800 (PST), "

> >> all that trouble? it takes all of 5 minutes and if you have an
> >> airfryer it will be heated by that time the cooking takes 7 and you
> >> have a 12 minute pizza vs delivery which takes 30-45 or go to the
> >> store and spend just as much time
> >>

> > Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling
> > it a
> > pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint.
> > No,
> > I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest
> > of
> > us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them
> > pizza.

> I tried the tortilla thing years ago. Nope.

i tried pita; pitas differ depending on the brand/style. but it worked. not as well as regular pizza dough, but it tasted fine.

> Even quicker, dump a can of chopped tomatoes and whatever cheese you want in
> a microwave safe dish. Add Italian herbs. Nuke. Hey, it's even GF. Taste of
> pizza without the carbs.
>
> Not that I normally do that mind you. Did it twice many years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love > wrote:
> On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 12:53:28 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling
>>> it a
>>> pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint.
>>> No,
>>> I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest
>>> of
>>> us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them
>>> pizza.

>> I tried the tortilla thing years ago. Nope.

> i tried pita; pitas differ depending on the brand/style. but it worked.
> not as well as regular pizza dough, but it tasted fine.
>

>> Even quicker, dump a can of chopped tomatoes and whatever cheese you want in
>> a microwave safe dish. Add Italian herbs. Nuke. Hey, it's even GF. Taste of
>> pizza without the carbs.
>>
>> Not that I normally do that mind you. Did it twice many years ago.

Ive never used tortillas or pitas for pizza crust, but I oftentimes use
naan bread. It works great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/h...-pizza-at-home

All of this "how to make pizza dough" here lately is insane. All
these silly special flours or processes. It was never broke many
years ago so quit trying to fix it. Look at a 1970's Betty
Crocker cookbook and use their simple recipe for pizza dough. It
works perfect and everyone that's tried my pizzas asks for the
recipe.

Simple is a good one sometimes. Betty's dough recipe makes 2 11"
pizzas. I use it all to make one 16" pizza. No special flour, no
long rising times. Very good results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 9:18:32 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/h...-pizza-at-home

> All of this "how to make pizza dough" here lately is insane. All
> these silly special flours or processes. It was never broke many
> years ago so quit trying to fix it. Look at a 1970's Betty
> Crocker cookbook and use their simple recipe for pizza dough. It
> works perfect and everyone that's tried my pizzas asks for the
> recipe.
>
> Simple is a good one sometimes. Betty's dough recipe makes 2 11"
> pizzas. I use it all to make one 16" pizza. No special flour, no
> long rising times. Very good results.

The long rise is hardly a new innovation. Bakers have been using
it for centuries.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 07:07:30 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 9:18:32 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/h...-pizza-at-home

>> All of this "how to make pizza dough" here lately is insane. All
>> these silly special flours or processes. It was never broke many
>> years ago so quit trying to fix it. Look at a 1970's Betty
>> Crocker cookbook and use their simple recipe for pizza dough. It
>> works perfect and everyone that's tried my pizzas asks for the
>> recipe.
>>
>> Simple is a good one sometimes. Betty's dough recipe makes 2 11"
>> pizzas. I use it all to make one 16" pizza. No special flour, no
>> long rising times. Very good results.

>The long rise is hardly a new innovation. Bakers have been using
>it for centuries.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

so have the different kinds flour. Gary doesn't understand that some
people like to be able to duplicate some things, or master an art of
something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 8:07 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 9:18:32 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> The long rise is hardly an innovation. Bakers have been using
> it for centuries.

They had too before the advent of commercial yeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 09:56:41 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 07:07:30 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> All of this "how to make pizza dough" here lately is insane. All
>>> these silly special flours or processes. It was never broke many
>>> years ago so quit trying to fix it. Look at a 1970's Betty
>>> Crocker cookbook and use their simple recipe for pizza dough. It
>>> works perfect and everyone that's tried my pizzas asks for the
>>> recipe.
>>>
>>> Simple is a good one sometimes. Betty's dough recipe makes 2 11"
>>> pizzas. I use it all to make one 16" pizza. No special flour, no
>>> long rising times. Very good results.

>>The long rise is hardly a new innovation. Bakers have been using
>>it for centuries.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>so have the different kinds flour. Gary doesn't understand that some
>people like to be able to duplicate some things, or master an art of
>something.

If you think about something for more than 5 seconds, Gary calls you a
snob.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 7:00:54 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2019-03-07 8:07 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 9:18:32 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> > The long rise is hardly an innovation. Bakers have been using
> > it for centuries.
> >

> They had too before the advent of commercial yeast.

Thank God for easy to use yeast, eh? If that didn't exist, bread baking would be vastly different. Mostly bread would be baked by members of the Church of the sacred yeast and microorganism cult.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:46:01 -0500, wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 15:05:20 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 3:55:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:37:30 -0800 (PST), "

>>> all that trouble? it takes all of 5 minutes and if you have an
>>> airfryer it will be heated by that time the cooking takes 7 and you
>>> have a 12 minute pizza vs delivery which takes 30-45 or go to the
>>> store and spend just as much time
>>>

>>Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling it a
>>pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint. No,
>>I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest of
>>us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them pizza.

>A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
>contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
>Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
>for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

Clearly the wrong kind of tortilla, Trader Joe's has a gluten free
brown rice tortilla shell that is a good bit thicker than the corn
shells and they are large, like 12-14 inches large. They make a
wonderful thin pizza crust, this is what I am talking about when I say
tortilla shell...

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 5:12:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:46:01 -0500, wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 15:05:20 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:

> >>Yep, when you start pulling out stuff and dressing a tortilla and calling it a
> >>pizza, then I'll just opt for a frozen N.O. or head to the pizza joint. No,
> >>I don't do delivery. Remember Kuthe2, what you like doesn't mean the rest of
> >>us have to like what you do nor do we have use tortillas and call them pizza.

> >A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
> >contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
> >Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
> >for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

> Clearly the wrong kind of tortilla, Trader Joe's has a gluten free
> brown rice tortilla shell that is a good bit thicker than the corn
> shells and they are large, like 12-14 inches large. They make a
> wonderful thin pizza crust, this is what I am talking about when I say
> tortilla shell...

There are people who don't care for pizza on a cracker, which is
what a tortilla turns into after 7 minutes in an oven.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 03:14:13 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 5:12:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:46:01 -0500, wrote:

>> >A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
>> >contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
>> >Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
>> >for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

>> Clearly the wrong kind of tortilla, Trader Joe's has a gluten free
>> brown rice tortilla shell that is a good bit thicker than the corn
>> shells and they are large, like 12-14 inches large. They make a
>> wonderful thin pizza crust, this is what I am talking about when I say
>> tortilla shell...

>There are people who don't care for pizza on a cracker, which is
>what a tortilla turns into after 7 minutes in an oven.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

You really have no idea do you?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 03:14:13 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 5:12:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:46:01 -0500, wrote:

>> >A tortilla is not even close to pizza dough. tortillas (flour or corn)
>> >contain no leavening agent... may as well add your toppings to matzo.
>> >Occasionally those over size Thomas's English muffins can substitute
>> >for pizza crust... just add toppings and bake.

>> Clearly the wrong kind of tortilla, Trader Joe's has a gluten free
>> brown rice tortilla shell that is a good bit thicker than the corn
>> shells and they are large, like 12-14 inches large. They make a
>> wonderful thin pizza crust, this is what I am talking about when I say
>> tortilla shell...

>There are people who don't care for pizza on a cracker, which is
>what a tortilla turns into after 7 minutes in an oven.

For an anti-religious person he's on a very religious anti-gluten
crusade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 6:17:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 03:14:13 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Clearly the wrong kind of tortilla, Trader Joe's has a gluten free
> >> brown rice tortilla shell that is a good bit thicker than the corn
> >> shells and they are large, like 12-14 inches large. They make a
> >> wonderful thin pizza crust, this is what I am talking about when I say
> >> tortilla shell...

> >There are people who don't care for pizza on a cracker, which is
> >what a tortilla turns into after 7 minutes in an oven.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> You really have no idea do you?

Apparently not. Can you explicate?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 03:47:17 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 6:17:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 03:14:13 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >There are people who don't care for pizza on a cracker, which is
>> >what a tortilla turns into after 7 minutes in an oven.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> You really have no idea do you?

>Apparently not. Can you explicate?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

well having worked for Dominos Pizza for several years, Papa Johns for
a short time I kinda do have a knowledge on how people like their
pizza. I also have a firm grasp on how to make pizza, the details
involved in cooking pizza.

For instance you put a tortilla shell as the one I described above
from TJ's and place in on a cook cookie sheet or some other metal trey
for cooking, dress your pizza with sauce and cheese and any additional
toppings. The cookie sheet combined with the sauce toppings and cheese
will protect the crust or the shell from getting cracker like. This
morning I had sausage, pepperoni, and cracked an egg right in the
middle placed it in a 400 F oven for 7 minutes turned the oven to
broil at 550 F to finish the cooking of the egg and I used the TJ's
tortilla and I had a wonderful breakfast pizza, the crust was not a
cracker it was soft in the middle and the edges were crispy which made
for a very nice crunchy ending to a delicious breakfast pizza. I would
have put basil on there but my basil plants are just now starting to
grow.

Granted it is not perfect, a thin crust pizza from a pizza place is a
bit more rigid, and the tortilla shell kinda flops over unless you
fold it for support. But hey up north they fold all of their pizzas so
there really is no difference, except that mine is gluten free

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 10:54:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> Granted it is not perfect, a thin crust pizza from a pizza place is a
> bit more rigid, and the tortilla shell kinda flops over unless you
> fold it for support. But hey up north they fold all of their pizzas so
> there really is no difference, except that mine is gluten free

No, we do not all fold our pizzas in the North. Only in New York City
and environs.

I'll continue waiting for pizza until I have time to make it properly.
I don't particularly like thin-crust.

If I want something quick on a tortilla, I'll have quesadilla.

Cindy Hamilton