Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Frozen Pizza?

I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
decent ovens.

I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.

Ideas?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote on Sunday 6/18/2006:

<snip>

> I never buy frozen [pizza] for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.

I've seen threads about this on other forums. The consensus (sp?) I
recall for a
widely available commercial product is DiGiorno (sp? - again). I've
never tried it,
so I have no personal knowledge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:04:24p, KevinS meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on Sunday 6/18/2006:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I never buy frozen [pizza] for home, so have no idea what might be
>> acceptable.

> I've seen threads about this on other forums. The consensus (sp?) I
> recall for a
> widely available commercial product is DiGiorno (sp? - again). I've
> never tried it,
> so I have no personal knowledge.

Thanks! Maybe I'll try one before I have to buy a bunch.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple
> of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

I have no idea if this would be at all interesting to you, but
the only frozen pizza I eat is Stouffer's French Bread Pizza.
Deluxe, for me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple
> of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

You may find that the tomato sauce on the DiGiorno's tastes a bit rancid. I
recommend http://www.freschetta.com/.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple
> of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

I've not had a frozen pizza in years. Why not take a few brands and then
you can try a couple to see how they are?
I'd also take along some extra cheese and seasonings to dress them up a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:25:46p, Nancy Young meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
>>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>>would
>> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple
>> of decent ovens.
>>
>> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>>
>> Ideas?

> I have no idea if this would be at all interesting to you, but
> the only frozen pizza I eat is Stouffer's French Bread Pizza.
> Deluxe, for me.

Thanks, Nancy. Coincidentally, it's the one pizza I do sometimes buy for
myself at home or to take to work for lunch. I really like it. In this
case, however, I think the office gang is expecting big round pizzas. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:35:30p, Chef Fagin meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>>would
>> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a
>> couple of decent ovens.
>>
>> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>>
>> Ideas?

> You may find that the tomato sauce on the DiGiorno's tastes a bit
> rancid. I recommend http://www.freschetta.com/.

Thanks! I may have to taste test several different ones. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:25:46p, Nancy Young meant to say...

>> I have no idea if this would be at all interesting to you, but
>> the only frozen pizza I eat is Stouffer's French Bread Pizza.
>> Deluxe, for me.

> Thanks, Nancy. Coincidentally, it's the one pizza I do sometimes buy for
> myself at home or to take to work for lunch. I really like it. In this
> case, however, I think the office gang is expecting big round pizzas. :-)

Yeah, I figured, just thought I'd toss that out. Get it? Toss it?
Harrr!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 6/18/2006 in regard to frozen pizza:

> Thanks! Maybe I'll try one before I have to buy a bunch.

That is well advised.. TJ's has a bunch of frozen pizzas. The only
thing
I've tried is the (again, I may be off on the precise product name)
Tarte
d'Alsace, which is pretty good but, I sense, too small and fussy for
your
gathering. My impression from your first post is that you are looking
for
good or reasonable quality "man-on-the-street" pizza rather than a
gourmet
or elite product,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:41:55p, Edwin Pawlowski meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>>would
>> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a
>> couple of decent ovens.
>>
>> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>>
>> Ideas?

> I've not had a frozen pizza in years. Why not take a few brands and
> then you can try a couple to see how they are?
> I'd also take along some extra cheese and seasonings to dress them up a
> bit.

Probably the best way to decide. The cheese and seasonings is a good idea,
regardless of brand of pizza. Thanks, Ed.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:46:06p, KevinS meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 6/18/2006 in regard to frozen pizza:
>
>> Thanks! Maybe I'll try one before I have to buy a bunch.

> That is well advised.. TJ's has a bunch of frozen pizzas. The only
> thing
> I've tried is the (again, I may be off on the precise product name)
> Tarte
> d'Alsace, which is pretty good but, I sense, too small and fussy for
> your
> gathering. My impression from your first post is that you are looking
> for
> good or reasonable quality "man-on-the-street" pizza rather than a
> gourmet
> or elite product,

You're right. While TJ's is a good idea, the group I'm feeding will
probably just "inhale" them without much thought. :-) Any decent
supermarket pizza will probably suffice. I just didn't want to end up with
something positively awful.

Another thought occurred to me, as well. Several of our supermarkets sell
fresh store-made pizzas with a partially baked crust, ready for final
baking. These might possibly be better than frozen.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Homemade impractical because you don't want to make a dozen pizzas or
for some other reason? There is no reason you couldn't make and freeze
homemade pizzas and indeed if you're freezing them you don't have to
make them all in one shot. Could even split the load among a few people.
Just a thought...

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Another thought occurred to me, as well. Several of our supermarkets sell
> fresh store-made pizzas with a partially baked crust, ready for final
> baking. These might possibly be better than frozen.

Sounds worthy of checking out. The one or two of those I've tried, the
crust seemed to be more "doughy" than I liked, but maybe you'll find a
winner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:59:31p, Pete C. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>> would be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a
>> couple of decent ovens.
>>
>> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> Homemade impractical because you don't want to make a dozen pizzas or
> for some other reason? There is no reason you couldn't make and freeze
> homemade pizzas and indeed if you're freezing them you don't have to
> make them all in one shot. Could even split the load among a few people.
> Just a thought...

Impractical for a couple of reasons, one being that I simply don't want to
make a dozen and this outing is on Tuesday, which doesn't give me a lot of
time to do it even if I wanted to. The other is packaging and
transportation, which makes boxed pizzas in a cooler more convenient and
appealing. Apart from that, I doubt seriously if this group would
appreciate the time and effort put into a good homemade pizza. Last of
all, it's my "turn" to bring the requested food, so splitting it up isn't
an option. Now you know the rest of the story... :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I have no idea if this would be at all interesting to you, but
> the only frozen pizza I eat is Stouffer's French Bread Pizza.
> Deluxe, for me.

I love those things. Thank you for reminding me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Impractical for a couple of reasons, one being that I simply don't want to
> make a dozen and this outing is on Tuesday, which doesn't give me a lot of
> time to do it even if I wanted to. The other is packaging and
> transportation, which makes boxed pizzas in a cooler more convenient and
> appealing. Apart from that, I doubt seriously if this group would
> appreciate the time and effort put into a good homemade pizza. Last of
> all, it's my "turn" to bring the requested food, so splitting it up isn't
> an option. Now you know the rest of the story... :-)

I buy Amy's but they are spendy and all vegetarian. The olive and
mushroom, combo and pesto are my faves.
http://www.amys.com/products/categor...rod_category=3

DiGiorno's sauce tastes sour to me - Freschetta doesn't carry types I
like (their veggie has some nasty white sauce on it) but others I know
have said they like them.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Impractical for a couple of reasons, one being that I simply don't want to
> > make a dozen and this outing is on Tuesday, which doesn't give me a lot of
> > time to do it even if I wanted to. The other is packaging and
> > transportation, which makes boxed pizzas in a cooler more convenient and
> > appealing. Apart from that, I doubt seriously if this group would
> > appreciate the time and effort put into a good homemade pizza. Last of
> > all, it's my "turn" to bring the requested food, so splitting it up isn't
> > an option. Now you know the rest of the story... :-)
> >

> I buy Amy's but they are spendy and all vegetarian. The olive and
> mushroom, combo and pesto are my faves.
> http://www.amys.com/products/categor...rod_category=3
>
> DiGiorno's sauce tastes sour to me - Freschetta doesn't carry types I
> like (their veggie has some nasty white sauce on it) but others I know
> have said they like them.

------------------------------

This is what I do for a single serving, I buy a number of very small
thin-crust pizzas, frozen, with an adequate amount of tomato sauce
already on it, but an inadequate (for me) amount of cheese. I always
keep on hand --mozzarella cheese (lots), a spicy sausage (hard,
pepperoni-like), and put a generous serving of each on the pizza.
Then I put a nice amount of dried oregano on (which I have rubbed
between my palms, to bring out the flavor and scent. I heat it
according to directions on the box, and I find it very delicious.
Sometimes I put chopped cold tomato on top*after* baking it. Speaking
for myself, I by far prefer a very thin crisp crust on any pizza. You
might enjoy this--easy and very good.
Nancree

> -L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

Tombstone.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-15-2006; Spanish Chicken and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 04:56:02 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

if it's not to late. You can buy several pizza's of different brand. I
would also suggest the offerings of several chains made frozen. For
example California Pizza kitchen, and Connies.

Then I would go to Giordano's they offer their pizza in premade uncooked
but ready for the oven versions.

Don't see how you can go wrong with that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
28.19:

> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because
> homemade would be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There
> will be a couple of decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

Geez, how did I miss this thread?!?

The Digiourno pizza is my favorite. It's not rancid as others mentioned
but it is tangy.

The regular supreme toppings pizza slices are VERY filling. I only buy
the small size ones and can't finish it. Their thin crust pizzas are good
but it's a rectangle which makes for clumsy slices!

The Stouffers french bread pizzas are also tasty and each pizza can be
sliced into three "respectable" slices. The only downside is they have a
corner end.

Imho,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.

I forget who makes them, but those frozen French bread pizzas are good.
In fact, you could still make your own pizza, just use French bread as
the dough and put on whatever toppings you want or you could use those
Boboli crusts. That way, you only need to bring the cheese, sauce, and
whatever toppings you want to offer. This would be much better than
frozen pizza and you could offer a wider selection of toppings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> You're right. While TJ's is a good idea, the group I'm feeding will
> probably just "inhale" them without much thought. :-) Any decent
> supermarket pizza will probably suffice. I just didn't want to end up with
> something positively awful.
>
> Another thought occurred to me, as well. Several of our supermarkets sell
> fresh store-made pizzas with a partially baked crust, ready for final
> baking. These might possibly be better than frozen.

Many pizza places will also sell you a parbaked version intended for
just this purpose. Guaranteed to be better than frozen pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>, Wayne
Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
> decent ovens.

I have found Amy's and California Pizza Kitchen to be surprisingly good
for frozen. You can actually get a crispy crust and the toppings are put
on in sensible amounts - also are not overloaded with salt and sugar as
in DiGiorno and most other brands.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

You can't think of the frozen product as "pizza"
but rather as a "bread-cheese-tomato food".
( sort of like fake American cheese slices )

When our kids were teens, and Totinos sold for 88cents,
we'd buy them by the dozens.

You could help them along with garlic powder,
and some additional cheese...
but in the end, it was "hot food"

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:59:31p, Pete C. meant to say...
>
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
> >> would be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a
> >> couple of decent ovens.
> >>
> >> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
> >>
> >> Ideas?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> > Homemade impractical because you don't want to make a dozen pizzas or
> > for some other reason? There is no reason you couldn't make and freeze
> > homemade pizzas and indeed if you're freezing them you don't have to
> > make them all in one shot. Could even split the load among a few people.
> > Just a thought...

> Impractical for a couple of reasons, one being that I simply don't want to
> make a dozen and this outing is on Tuesday, which doesn't give me a lot of
> time to do it even if I wanted to. The other is packaging and
> transportation, which makes boxed pizzas in a cooler more convenient and
> appealing. Apart from that, I doubt seriously if this group would
> appreciate the time and effort put into a good homemade pizza. Last of
> all, it's my "turn" to bring the requested food, so splitting it up isn't
> an option. Now you know the rest of the story... :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Gotcha.

I haven't bought a frozen pizza in ages, but I've had a few store made
refrigerated ones that were pretty good. These were fresh shrink wrapped
ready to bake ones from near the deli area. If a local grocery store has
something like that it probably beats the mass produced frozen ones and
as has been noted, a little extra cheese and toppings can spruce them up
nicely.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had a Bakes-As-It-Rises Pizza, it was either Tombstone or Red Baron
and it was pretty good. I also like the fresh made pizzas at Sam's
Club. They are not cooked, you buy them, then bake them.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:41:55p, Edwin Pawlowski meant to say...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 28.19...
>>>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade
>>>would
>>> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a
>>> couple of decent ovens.
>>>
>>> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>>>
>>> Ideas?

>> I've not had a frozen pizza in years. Why not take a few brands and
>> then you can try a couple to see how they are?
>> I'd also take along some extra cheese and seasonings to dress them up a
>> bit.

> Probably the best way to decide. The cheese and seasonings is a good
> idea,
> regardless of brand of pizza. Thanks, Ed.

Yes, extra cheese is a good idea. Here is a recipe for mozzarella in case
you need one.

2 gallons Milk
7 tb Cultured buttermilk
6 tb Yogurt
Rennet to coagulate 2 gallons milk (1/2 Hansens tablet) dissolved in about
1/2 cup of cold water.

Usually makes 4 half pound cheeses.

Start this cheese in the evening. Maintain the milk at
90 F in a double boiler. Mix the buttermilk and yogurt
separately with a little of the milk to remove lumps,
then blend into the rest of the milk. Add the rennet
solution and mix thoroughly. Let sit until the curd
sets and breaks clearly when tested with a finger -
about 20 to 30 minutes. Cut the curd into 1/2 inch
cubes as evenly as possible. Maintain at 90 F for 15
minutes, stirring with a clean hand. The curds are
fragile because they have not been cooked, so stir
very gently, just enough to keep them from matting
together. Gently pour the curds into a cloth lined
colander. When the whey has drained, the curd should
be in one solid piece. Rinse in cold water, then soak
in a pan of cold water for 15 minutes. If it is a big
batch, cut the curd into several blocks, 4 or 5 inches
square. Drain off most of the water, then refrigerate
the curds, or keep in a cool 40 F place. Leave them
in a colander or other container that allows drainage.
The next day, warm the cheese to room
temperature so it will ripen, or become more acidic.
After an hour or so, test the cheese for acidity as
follows. Cut off a small piece of cheese and cut it
into three 1/2 inch cubes. Heat several cups of water
in a sauce pan to 165 F. Put in the cubes and stir for
5 minutes. Remove the cubes and mold them together
like modeling clay. Reheat the lump of cheese in the
water for a minute, then remove and work or mold it
together a little more. After repeating several times,
try to pull the curd apart. If it breaks or tears, and
clouds the water, it is underripe. Wait an hour or so
and test again. When it pulls into a long rope and can
be molded together again, it is ready. It will have a
glossy surface and will cloud the water only
slightly. The whole cheese is treated somewhat like
the test sample to finish it. Cut it into small cubes
and put them in a pan. Heat water to 170 F and pour
enough over them, to cover the curds by about 2
inches. Keep a thermometer in the pan and let the
temperature drop to 135 F. Press the cubes together,
and then knead the cheese, by stretching and pulling
it, as if working modelling clay. It should become
"plastic" and stretch into long strands. When it does,
shape into half pound balls, or make a thick rope,
fold it in half, and twist several times to make a
decorative oblong cheese. Mozzarella can be dipped in
hot water to make a glossy surface, or wrapped in
cheese cloth to protect it. To keep the cheese very
fresh tasting for up to a week, keep it in a bowl of
water in the refrigerator, and change the water every
day. To salt mozzarella for longer keeping,
soak it in brine for 4 or 5 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

Why not by freshly baked pizzas and eat them cold? If it is a decent pizzeria
they are bound to better better cold than most frozen pizzas are right out of the
oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
>>be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
>>decent ovens.
>>
>>I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>>
>>Ideas?
>>

> Why not by freshly baked pizzas and eat them cold? If it is a decent pizzeria
> they are bound to better better cold than most frozen pizzas are right out of the
> oven.

What is wrong with getting Pizzeria pies and re-heating them in a hot
oven? I sometimes buy from a Pizza Parlor that gives you a second
pizza free of charge on slow nights, Thursdays and Sundays and I keep
the left overs in my freezer. They are good pies to start with and
taste just fine when they are heated again. You also have the option
to add toppings before you heat them again. You just have to make
sure that the ovens are hot when you put in the cold pizzas and take
them out as soon as they are really hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>on Mon, Jun 19, 2006, 4:56am wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com
(Wayne*Boatwright)asked:
>I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office
>outing because homemade would be impractical and ordering would be
>impossible. There will be a couple of decent ovens.
>I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea
>what might be acceptable.
>Ideas?
>--
>Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬---------------------------------------------

I never had a frozen pizza that was worth what we paid for it but if you
can find -usually in dairy section- in grocery stores a brand call
U-Bake it is just as good as a pizza from the parlor.

Not talking about those cheap ones covered with plastic wrap but comes
in a box for around $12.00 or less for a supreme.

If Meijers is in your area they carry this plus found a lot of
convenient stores here also have a regular pizza section that you can
have them bake it or take home and do it your self for fraction of
price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> You can't think of the frozen product as "pizza"
> but rather as a "bread-cheese-tomato food".
> ( sort of like fake American cheese slices )
>
> When our kids were teens, and Totinos sold for 88cents,
> we'd buy them by the dozens.
> <rj>

We did that all the time too. For a cheap frozen pizza Totinos is
actually pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

For the best cheap frozen pizza buy Totino's. Otherwise, I like
Tombstone. If they're on sale they may be a better buy than the
Totino's. It depends on whether you're concerned about the cost per
ounce or the total cost overall. I've had Digiorno's on a few
occasions and I've never cared much for them. Either the dough or the
sauce, maybe both, is too sweet in my opinion. I've had Freshetta (sp)
but it's been so long I can't recall if they're any better than the
Digiorno's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne.
Two things always come to mind. Where you had your best time at or with
who and where you had your best meal at. The last is remembered best. So
it is time to put your best foot forward or do a poor job of it. Which
one would be more the pleasing to you ? If it is worth doing than it is
by all means worth doing right. Save the fuss and have it catered.
happy eating . FTD of C U Slackoff. Overlooking the Ohio River...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because
> homemade would be impractical and ordering would be impossible.
> There will be a couple of decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?

In my experience, Uno's deep dish pepperoni is about the only acceptable
frozen pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Smith wrote:
> Wayne.
> Two things always come to mind. Where you had your best time at or with
> who and where you had your best meal at. The last is remembered best. So
> it is time to put your best foot forward or do a poor job of it. Which
> one would be more the pleasing to you ? If it is worth doing than it is
> by all means worth doing right. Save the fuss and have it catered.
> happy eating . FTD of C U Slackoff. Overlooking the Ohio River...

But he says he knows the tastes of the attendees. So if Pizza hut is
their benchmark for pizza he could bring almost anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Puistonen wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because
>> homemade would be impractical and ordering would be impossible.
>> There will be a couple of decent ovens.
>>
>> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be
>> acceptable. Ideas?

> In my experience, Uno's deep dish pepperoni is about the only
> acceptable frozen pizza.

Oh, and I tried Uno's thin crust pizza and it was like eating cardboard.
Deep dish only.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> I have to take 10-12 frozen pizzas to an office outing because homemade

would
> be impractical and ordering would be impossible. There will be a couple

of
> decent ovens.
>
> I never buy frozen for home, so have no idea what might be acceptable.
>
> Ideas?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Why not call Costco and have them do it for you? I'd say use their pizzas
(they're not bad) but they are WAAAAAAAY to big to fit into a normal oven.
The Costco around here charges $10 for (I believe) an 18" pizza.

<shrug> just my $.02 worth.

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Frozen Pizza? - What I did...

First off, thanks to all of you who had some great suggestions. I appreciate
the response.

I make a darned good homemade pizza, and had I really wanted to, and had I
thought it would really be appreciated, I would have managed to make them
myself.

However, this office group was expecting and wanted frozen pizzas. It was
requested. So be it.

I ended up buying 4 different brands and a couple of varieties from each
brand, including some Stouffer's French Bread Pizza (all recommended here).
Everybody was happy and there wasn't a crumb left. My job is done. :-)

I might add that this is a group that thinks Ball Park hotdogs and baked
beans straight out of the can is a terrific cookout. There's no accouting
for tastes.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 19 Jun 2006 04:24:28p, John Smith meant to say...

> Wayne.
> Two things always come to mind. Where you had your best time at or with
> who and where you had your best meal at. The last is remembered best. So
> it is time to put your best foot forward or do a poor job of it. Which
> one would be more the pleasing to you ? If it is worth doing than it is
> by all means worth doing right. Save the fuss and have it catered.
> happy eating . FTD of C U Slackoff. Overlooking the Ohio River...

John, ordinarily I would agree with you, and that certainly applies to venues
with friends and acquaintances who enjoy and appreciate good food. This is
not the group. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬