Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Grilling meat hook

Saw a guy using one at a local charity BBQ, and thought I'd like to have
one. Had to make it, because I'm left-handed at cooking, and all the
"store-bought" ones I've seen are for left-disabled folks.

Once I had the thing, I found that it's useful for all sorts of cooking
other than grilling steaks. I use it all the time in the kitchen when
I'm frying anything. It's just the best way to turn things over I've
ever found.

You know how, if you're not really careful, when you use any sort of
tongs or a spatula to turn over breaded pieces, you're likely to mess up
the breading on the top (still raw) side? Doesn't happen if you hook the
piece and flip it with the hook.

You can hook a piece and lift it up to see how the bottom side is doing,
without having something like a pancake turner getting in the way.

Pieces close together? no problem. The hook doesn't need clearance to
slide under an edge without damaging the piece next to it. Works very
nicely for both shallow- and deep-frying.

Dredging meat or fish? Use the hook and keep your fingers from growing
into clubs and wasting a whole lot of the breading. You can pick a piece
out of a bowl of batter, dredge it in (say) breadcrumbs, and then move
it to the pan of hot fat, all with the hook. Since the hook gets a new
coating of oil every time you do that, nothing sticks to it.

Turning eggplant pieces while roasting them? Works great.

Tempura? A whole lot easier (for me, anyhow) than chopsticks in hot fat.

Bothered by annoying kibitzers while cooking? Oh yeah; just a twist of
the wrist ...

How come nobody ever told me about this nifty device before?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2014 2:29 AM, isw wrote:
> Saw a guy using one at a local charity BBQ, and thought I'd like to have
> one. Had to make it, because I'm left-handed at cooking, and all the
> "store-bought" ones I've seen are for left-disabled folks.
>
> Once I had the thing, I found that it's useful for all sorts of cooking
> other than grilling steaks. I use it all the time in the kitchen when
> I'm frying anything. It's just the best way to turn things over I've
> ever found.
>
> You know how, if you're not really careful, when you use any sort of
> tongs or a spatula to turn over breaded pieces, you're likely to mess up
> the breading on the top (still raw) side? Doesn't happen if you hook the
> piece and flip it with the hook.
>
> You can hook a piece and lift it up to see how the bottom side is doing,
> without having something like a pancake turner getting in the way.
>
> Pieces close together? no problem. The hook doesn't need clearance to
> slide under an edge without damaging the piece next to it. Works very
> nicely for both shallow- and deep-frying.
>
> Dredging meat or fish? Use the hook and keep your fingers from growing
> into clubs and wasting a whole lot of the breading. You can pick a piece
> out of a bowl of batter, dredge it in (say) breadcrumbs, and then move
> it to the pan of hot fat, all with the hook. Since the hook gets a new
> coating of oil every time you do that, nothing sticks to it.
>
> Turning eggplant pieces while roasting them? Works great.
>
> Tempura? A whole lot easier (for me, anyhow) than chopsticks in hot fat.
>
> Bothered by annoying kibitzers while cooking? Oh yeah; just a twist of
> the wrist ...
>
> How come nobody ever told me about this nifty device before?

Is this what I've seen called a pig tail? I always wondered how well
those worked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:53:50 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> On 10/29/2014 2:29 AM, isw wrote:
> > Saw a guy using one at a local charity BBQ, and thought I'd like to have
> > one. Had to make it, because I'm left-handed at cooking, and all the
> > "store-bought" ones I've seen are for left-disabled folks.

<snip>

> > How come nobody ever told me about this nifty device before?
> >

> Is this what I've seen called a pig tail? I always wondered how well
> those worked.

It looks like something you'd use to pick your teeth with if it was a
bit smaller. Not sure why he thought he had to make one because they
are ambidextrous.
http://www.firecraft.com/product/sta...KPfg odsHoA-A
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/outset...FYVlfgodZY0A0w

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:53:50 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> wrote:
>
> > On 10/29/2014 2:29 AM, isw wrote:
> > > Saw a guy using one at a local charity BBQ, and thought I'd like to have
> > > one. Had to make it, because I'm left-handed at cooking, and all the
> > > "store-bought" ones I've seen are for left-disabled folks.
> > >

> <snip>
> > >
> > > How come nobody ever told me about this nifty device before?
> > >

> > Is this what I've seen called a pig tail? I always wondered how well
> > those worked.

> It looks like something you'd use to pick your teeth with if it was a
> bit smaller. Not sure why he thought he had to make one because they
> are ambidextrous.
> http://www.firecraft.com/product/sta...ow-dollar-acce
> ssoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CKaIgvKU0sECFVKPfgodsH oA-A
> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/outset...urner-p121058?
> gclid=CPu0mYaV0sECFYVlfgodZY0A0w

They're not ambidextrous at all; that photo may be a bit misleading.

The two bends are at right angles to one another; you pick up something
by rotating the point into it. Pick up the one in the photo with your
left hand, and you'll see that you have to twist your wrist clockwise to
hook something, and that's really awkward. Clockwise works fine in a
right hand, though.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:04:39 PM UTC-5, isw wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Not sure why he thought he had to make one because they
> > are ambidextrous.
> > http://www.firecraft.com/product/sta...ow-dollar-acce
> > ssoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CKaIgvKU0sECFVKPfgodsH oA-A
> > http://www.cutleryandmore.com/outset...urner-p121058?
> > gclid=CPu0mYaV0sECFYVlfgodZY0A0w

> They're not ambidextrous at all; that photo may be a bit misleading.
>
> The two bends are at right angles to one another; you pick up something
> by rotating the point into it. Pick up the one in the photo with your
> left hand, and you'll see that you have to twist your wrist clockwise to
> hook something, and that's really awkward. Clockwise works fine in a
> right hand, though.
>
> Isaac

I've got one, too. Got it at Home Depot and you're right, it's NOT ambidextrous. I wish I could find one that is made for lefties. I haven't looked online for one, have you even though you made your own?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-30 3:05 AM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:04:39 PM UTC-5, isw wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure why he thought he had to make one because they
>>> are ambidextrous.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/sta...ow-dollar-acce
>>> ssoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CKaIgvKU0sECFVKPfgodsH oA-A
>>> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/outset...urner-p121058?
>>> gclid=CPu0mYaV0sECFYVlfgodZY0A0w

>> They're not ambidextrous at all; that photo may be a bit misleading.
>>
>> The two bends are at right angles to one another; you pick up something
>> by rotating the point into it. Pick up the one in the photo with your
>> left hand, and you'll see that you have to twist your wrist clockwise to
>> hook something, and that's really awkward. Clockwise works fine in a
>> right hand, though.
>>
>> Isaac
>>

> I've got one, too. Got it at Home Depot and you're right, it's NOT ambidextrous. I wish I could find one that is made for lefties. I haven't looked online for one, have you even though you made your own?

How can something that is basically straight nor be ambidextrous? Maybe
it is the clockwise / counterclockwise issue. As we discussed recently,
some people have trouble with that. Left handed or right handed it
doesn't really matter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:29:23 AM UTC-4, isw wrote:
I use it all the time in the kitchen when
> I'm frying anything. It's just the best way to turn things over I've
> ever found.
>
> You know how, if you're not really careful, when you use any sort of
> tongs or a spatula to turn over breaded pieces, you're likely to mess up
> the breading on the top (still raw) side? Doesn't happen if you hook the
> piece and flip it with the hook.

Somehow I have lived without a hook and a large, two-tined fork seems to fill the bill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 07:14:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:29:23 AM UTC-4, isw wrote:
> I use it all the time in the kitchen when
> > I'm frying anything. It's just the best way to turn things over I've
> > ever found.
> >
> > You know how, if you're not really careful, when you use any sort of
> > tongs or a spatula to turn over breaded pieces, you're likely to mess up
> > the breading on the top (still raw) side? Doesn't happen if you hook the
> > piece and flip it with the hook.

> Somehow I have lived without a hook and a large, two-tined fork seems to fill the bill.

I have a pair of BBQ tongs that are the same as what I use in the
kitchen, only longer, and they work fine for me. They were part of a
package of three that I used to be able to buy at Target (cheap). I'm
probably one of the few people left in the world who prefers the type
with a flat tip because they are almost impossible to find on the
internet. https://www.house.com.au/images/DON-3299.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
>isw wrote:
> I use it all the time in the kitchen when
>> I'm frying anything. It's just the best way to turn things over I've
>> ever found.

I bet it's great for turning pancakes and especially eggs.

>> You know how, if you're not really careful, when you use any sort of
>> tongs or a spatula to turn over breaded pieces, you're likely to mess up
>> the breading on the top (still raw) side? Doesn't happen if you hook the
>> piece and flip it with the hook.

Explain how a spatula ever touches the top breading?

>Somehow I have lived without a hook and a large, two-tined fork seems to fill the bill.

I have no use for that hook, I'm not into performing back alley
abortions. If meat is stuck pulling on it with that hook will tear
it... I think that hook is kind of useless for grilling or any
cooking.

For more than 45 years I've been turning meat with the ancient nipple
tongs that came with a baby bottle sterilizer. These are all I need
to turn meat:
http://i62.tinypic.com/1zq3ekm.jpg
The spatula is from leevalley.com, handiest spatula ever.
The fork is ancient EKCO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:39:51 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2014-10-30 22:35, wrote:
>

> >> How can something that is basically straight nor be ambidextrous?
> >> Maybe it is the clockwise / counterclockwise issue. As we discussed
> >> recently, some people have trouble with that. Left handed or right
> >> handed it doesn't really matter.
> >>

> > It IS the clockwise/counterclockwise issue that makes the difference
> > in being able to use these grilling hooks without awkwardly twisting
> > the wrist. Another backwards tool is a ladle with the little pouring
> > spout on the left side of the bowl, these are made for right handed
> > people. When a leftie uses such a ladle the spout portion is on the
> > wrong side of the bowl; if you have such a ladle trying pouring
> > something out of it using your left hand.
> >

> Maybe you should spend some time training yourself to be somewhat
> ambidextrous. I can do most things like that with either hand. I can now
> write almost as well with my left hand as I can with my right, but it
> slower. I can't see the clockwise being and issue for handedness.
>
> I have to admit that I would not try to chop something with a cleaver
> with my left hand while holding it with my right.

I DO do many things with my right hand but using tools, whether it's a grilling hook, a screw driver, a drill, a gun or a spatula goes into my dominant hand where more control is exerted. And no, I wouldn't chop or slice something with my right hand either. I've tried to use left hand scissors but can't get the hang of them; cutting is way off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
" > wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:04:39 PM UTC-5, isw wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure why he thought he had to make one because they
> > > are ambidextrous.
> > > http://www.firecraft.com/product/sta...ok/low-dollar-
> > > acce
> > > ssoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CKaIgvKU0sECFVKPfgodsH oA-A
> > > http://www.cutleryandmore.com/outset...at-turner-p121
> > > 058?
> > > gclid=CPu0mYaV0sECFYVlfgodZY0A0w

> > They're not ambidextrous at all; that photo may be a bit misleading.
> >
> > The two bends are at right angles to one another; you pick up something
> > by rotating the point into it. Pick up the one in the photo with your
> > left hand, and you'll see that you have to twist your wrist clockwise to
> > hook something, and that's really awkward. Clockwise works fine in a
> > right hand, though.
> >
> > Isaac
> >

> I've got one, too. Got it at Home Depot and you're right, it's NOT
> ambidextrous. I wish I could find one that is made for lefties. I haven't
> looked online for one, have you even though you made your own?

Never found one; that's why I made it.

I don't know if the metal would stand up to it, but it would take only
one, 180-degree bend to turn a rightie into a leftie.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Kalmia > wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:29:23 AM UTC-4, isw wrote:
> I use it all the time in the kitchen when
> > I'm frying anything. It's just the best way to turn things over I've
> > ever found.
> >
> > You know how, if you're not really careful, when you use any sort of
> > tongs or a spatula to turn over breaded pieces, you're likely to mess up
> > the breading on the top (still raw) side? Doesn't happen if you hook the
> > piece and flip it with the hook.

> Somehow I have lived without a hook and a large, two-tined fork seems to fill
> the bill.

Well, I also lived without it for <mumble> years, but now that I have
it, I'm not giving it up!

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Kalmia wrote:
> >isw wrote:
> > I use it all the time in the kitchen when
> >> I'm frying anything. It's just the best way to turn things over I've
> >> ever found.

> I bet it's great for turning pancakes and especially eggs.
>
> >> You know how, if you're not really careful, when you use any sort of
> >> tongs or a spatula to turn over breaded pieces, you're likely to mess up
> >> the breading on the top (still raw) side? Doesn't happen if you hook the
> >> piece and flip it with the hook.

> Explain how a spatula ever touches the top breading?

It's not the spatula that touches the top -- it's your other hand, when
you support the piece while turning so it doesn't go FLOP into the hot
fat.

The point on the hook goes right through the breading without disturbing
it, whether it's raw or cooked, and you can turn the piece over and lay
it down very gently in the hot fat.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:16:19 AM UTC-5, isw wrote:

> In article >,
> " > wrote:
>
> > I've got one, too. Got it at Home Depot and you're right, it's NOT
> > ambidextrous. I wish I could find one that is made for lefties. I haven't
> > looked online for one, have you even though you made your own?

> Never found one; that's why I made it.
>
> I don't know if the metal would stand up to it, but it would take only
> one, 180-degree bend to turn a rightie into a leftie.
>
> Isaac

I've found some on eBay since you started this thread but I do have the right handed version which has only been used once since I found it to be backwards. 'Splain how you did the twist/bend please!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
" > wrote:

> On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:16:19 AM UTC-5, isw wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > " > wrote:
> >
> > > I've got one, too. Got it at Home Depot and you're right, it's NOT
> > > ambidextrous. I wish I could find one that is made for lefties. I
> > > haven't
> > > looked online for one, have you even though you made your own?

> > Never found one; that's why I made it.
> >
> > I don't know if the metal would stand up to it, but it would take only
> > one, 180-degree bend to turn a rightie into a leftie.
> >
> > Isaac
> >

> I've found some on eBay since you started this thread but I do have the right
> handed version which has only been used once since I found it to be
> backwards. 'Splain how you did the twist/bend please!

Well, mine was straight when I started; I don't know how an already bent
one would respond. Anyhow ...

It's just two smooth 90 degree bends, 90 degrees apart. I got a small
block of hardwood (oak, probably) and sanded one edge down into a nice
radius, probably about 1" or so. Then clamped the tip of the hook
between that piece and a flat one, in a vice. Carefully bent the rod
around the radius, and then did that again for the second curve. I'd do
the one nearest the tip first, and then the other.

Practice a couple times on a piece of coat hanger wire, to make sure you
know how to get the bends going the right way; it's really easy to get
confused.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 31, 2014 11:18:34 PM UTC-5, isw wrote:

> In article >,
>
> " > wrote:
>
> > I've found some on eBay since you started this thread but I do have the right
> > handed version which has only been used once since I found it to be
> > backwards. 'Splain how you did the twist/bend please!

> Well, mine was straight when I started; I don't know how an already bent
> one would respond. Anyhow ...
>
> It's just two smooth 90 degree bends, 90 degrees apart. I got a small
> block of hardwood (oak, probably) and sanded one edge down into a nice
> radius, probably about 1" or so. Then clamped the tip of the hook
> between that piece and a flat one, in a vice. Carefully bent the rod
> around the radius, and then did that again for the second curve. I'd do
> the one nearest the tip first, and then the other.
>
> Practice a couple times on a piece of coat hanger wire, to make sure you
> know how to get the bends going the right way; it's really easy to get
> confused.
>
> Isaac

Oooh, ok. I don't have a steel rod nor do I have a clamp. I guess I'll just be ordering one off eBay.