Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Grilling meat hook

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:53:50 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> wrote:
>
> > On 10/29/2014 2:29 AM, isw wrote:
> > > Saw a guy using one at a local charity BBQ, and thought I'd like to have
> > > one. Had to make it, because I'm left-handed at cooking, and all the
> > > "store-bought" ones I've seen are for left-disabled folks.
> > >

> <snip>
> > >
> > > How come nobody ever told me about this nifty device before?
> > >

> > Is this what I've seen called a pig tail? I always wondered how well
> > those worked.

> It looks like something you'd use to pick your teeth with if it was a
> bit smaller. Not sure why he thought he had to make one because they
> are ambidextrous.
> http://www.firecraft.com/product/sta...ow-dollar-acce
> ssoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=CKaIgvKU0sECFVKPfgodsH oA-A
> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/outset...urner-p121058?
> gclid=CPu0mYaV0sECFYVlfgodZY0A0w

They're not ambidextrous at all; that photo may be a bit misleading.

The two bends are at right angles to one another; you pick up something
by rotating the point into it. Pick up the one in the photo with your
left hand, and you'll see that you have to twist your wrist clockwise to
hook something, and that's really awkward. Clockwise works fine in a
right hand, though.

Isaac