Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Grilling meat hook

In article >,
" > wrote:

> On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:16:19 AM UTC-5, isw wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > " > wrote:
> >
> > > I've got one, too. Got it at Home Depot and you're right, it's NOT
> > > ambidextrous. I wish I could find one that is made for lefties. I
> > > haven't
> > > looked online for one, have you even though you made your own?

> > Never found one; that's why I made it.
> >
> > I don't know if the metal would stand up to it, but it would take only
> > one, 180-degree bend to turn a rightie into a leftie.
> >
> > Isaac
> >

> I've found some on eBay since you started this thread but I do have the right
> handed version which has only been used once since I found it to be
> backwards. 'Splain how you did the twist/bend please!

Well, mine was straight when I started; I don't know how an already bent
one would respond. Anyhow ...

It's just two smooth 90 degree bends, 90 degrees apart. I got a small
block of hardwood (oak, probably) and sanded one edge down into a nice
radius, probably about 1" or so. Then clamped the tip of the hook
between that piece and a flat one, in a vice. Carefully bent the rod
around the radius, and then did that again for the second curve. I'd do
the one nearest the tip first, and then the other.

Practice a couple times on a piece of coat hanger wire, to make sure you
know how to get the bends going the right way; it's really easy to get
confused.

Isaac