Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen cooked lobster

Our store had cooked, frozen market lobster on for 3.99 and I got one to
try. It's defrosting now and I wonder what the best way to reheat it would
be. I don't want to turn it into rubber...thanks a bunch...Sharon in Canada

Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 1:07*pm, "biig" wrote:
* *Our store had cooked, frozen market lobster on for 3.99 and I got one to
try. *It's defrosting now and I wonder what the best way to reheat it would
be. *I don't want to turn it into rubber...thanks a bunch...Sharon in Canada

Read this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5207183_rehe...d-lobster.html
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/06/2011 4:07 PM, biig wrote:
Our store had cooked, frozen market lobster on for 3.99 and I got one to
try. It's defrosting now and I wonder what the best way to reheat it would
be. I don't want to turn it into rubber...thanks a bunch...Sharon in Canada

There has been a lot of that going on around here lately. I got some a
few weeks ago and we just ate them cold. You can put them into boiling
water for a couple minutes and warm them up without cooking them too
much more. You can also slap them on the BBQ grill .
Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 4, 1:15*pm, Dave Smith wrote:
On 04/06/2011 4:07 PM, biig wrote:

* * Our store had cooked, frozen market lobster on for 3.99 and I got one to
try. *It's defrosting now and I wonder what the best way to reheat it would
be. *I don't want to turn it into rubber...thanks a bunch...Sharon in Canada

There has been a lot of that going on around here lately. *I got some a
few weeks ago and we just ate them cold. You can put them into boiling
water for a couple minutes and warm them up without cooking them too
much more. You can also slap them on the BBQ grill .

or make lobster salad...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 1:15 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
On 04/06/2011 4:07 PM, biig wrote:

Our store had cooked, frozen market lobster on for 3.99 and I got one to
try. It's defrosting now and I wonder what the best way to reheat it
would
be. I don't want to turn it into rubber...thanks a bunch...Sharon in
Canada

There has been a lot of that going on around here lately. I got some a
few weeks ago and we just ate them cold. You can put them into boiling
water for a couple minutes and warm them up without cooking them too
much more. You can also slap them on the BBQ grill .

or make lobster salad...

I want lobster dipped in melted butter...lol...I think I'll give it a
quick hot bath and hope it wasn't alread y over cooked....thanks...

Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "biig"
wrote:

Our store had cooked, frozen market lobster on for 3.99 and I got one
try. It's defrosting now and I wonder what the best way to reheat it
would
be. I don't want to turn it into rubber...thanks a bunch...Sharon in
Canada

It's next to impossible to warm up a pre-cooked crab or lobster, attempt
to remove the meat from the shell and not have it almost cold again by
the time you have done so and are ready to eat it.

I no longer try. If I purchase a cooked frozen crab or lobster, I let
it thaw, remove the meat cold, then re-warm just the meat in whatever
dip I'm using which for me is generally Lemon Butter with a hint of
garlic...

What's the point in heating the shell?
Why re-heat the already cooked meat twice?
--
Peace, Om

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain

Thanks Om...that sounds better. I think I'll pick it first then a quick
steam??? Then the butter. I've only had lobster a few times and never at
home so I'm a novice....Sharon

Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/06/2011 6:08 PM, biig wrote:
-- Mark Twain

Thanks Om...that sounds better. I think I'll pick it first then a quick
steam??? Then the butter. I've only had lobster a few times and never at
home so I'm a novice....Sharon

I have lobster at home a lot more often than I have it in restaurants.
It used to be a lot more expensive than it is now, and hard to get
anywhere but restaurants. I splurged and tried it a few times but was
not impressed. It was not until I had fresh lobster on the east coast
that I realized how good it can be when it is not overcooked.

Now it is available live in most grocery stores, and much cheaper. All
you need to cook it is a big pot of salted water. Restaurants charge a
hell of a lot for that simple job.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 6:16*pm, Dave Smith wrote:
On 04/06/2011 6:08 PM, biig wrote:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Mark Twain

* *Thanks Om...that sounds better. *I think I'll pick it first then a quick
steam??? Then the butter. *I've only had lobster a few times and never at
home so I'm a novice....Sharon

I have lobster at home a lot more often than I have it in restaurants.
It used to be a lot more expensive than it is now, and hard to get
anywhere but restaurants. *I splurged and tried it a few times but was
not impressed. It was not until I had fresh lobster on the east coast
that I realized how good it can be when it is not overcooked.

Now it is available live in most grocery stores, and much cheaper. *All
you need to cook it is a big pot of salted water. Restaurants charge a
hell of a lot for that simple job.

It's even cheaper sometimes at the Asian grocery. I buy a live one
every year for Valentine's Day, and prepare it for my wife. This year
was an exception because I broke my arm on Feb 10. One advantage
about doing it then is that if you set it outside, the cold renders
the lobster less mobile so you can get the rubber bands off w/o
risking a bad pinch.

--Bryan
Old 05-06-2011, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "biig"
wrote:

[...]

Skip the steaming. It's already cooked. Just gently heat it in melted
butter.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:05:58 -0400, "Janet"
wrote:

biig wrote:
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "biig"
wrote:

[...]

I would never waste my money on already cooked frozen lobster... just
guessing but it's probably best defrosted in the fridge and eaten
cold, make a lobster salad.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

good point, Lee
"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I would never waste my money on already cooked frozen lobster... just
guessing but it's probably best defrosted in the fridge and eaten
cold, make a lobster salad.

Sometimes luv that's all that is available, or affordable. :-) Nothing
is as good as fresh cooked crustaceans from the live state. But in this
case, removing the meat from the shell once it's thawed is still quite
tasty re-warmed in your choice of dips. I make the dip hot. I don't
heat the meat separately! The hot butter (or whatever) warms the meat to
the right temperature.

Makes yummylicious sandwiches served in warmed sourdough bread with lots
of warm butter. ;-d

As I mentioned before, my personal favorite dip is warm lemon butter
with just a hint of garlic, but your tastes may vary as always. g

Old 05-06-2011, 01:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 00:42:07 -0500, Omelet

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

I would never waste my money on already cooked frozen lobster... just
guessing but it's probably best defrosted in the fridge and eaten
cold, make a lobster salad.

Sometimes luv that's all that is available, or affordable.

Not believable. I see frozen UNCOOKED/RAW lobster all the time...
usually in the same freezer case next to the UNCOOKED/RAW shrimp, and
other seafood. I don't remember ever seeing frozen cooked lobster,
makes as much sense as freezing a cooked porterhouse. I don't eat
frozen seafood of any type... the few times I've been served a dish
made with frozen shrimp I spit it out. I won't eat breaded shrimp
either. Any fish monger in the NYC area sells fresh (never frozen)
north Atlantic shrimp. I've eaten Gulf shrimp, it doesn't even taste
like shrimp... Gulf/warm water shrimp is really only good for cat
food. Canned shrimp packed in Asia is much better than Gulf shrimp...
that BP oil spill can only make an improvement.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/06/2011 8:31 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Sometimes luv that's all that is available, or affordable.

Not believable. I see frozen UNCOOKED/RAW lobster all the time...
usually in the same freezer case next to the UNCOOKED/RAW shrimp, and
other seafood. I don't remember ever seeing frozen cooked lobster,
makes as much sense as freezing a cooked porterhouse.

I see it. There was frozen cooked lobster on sale at the grocery store
in town this week. Sometimes they cook a bunch of lobsters. Perhaps they
do so because some people like lobster but don't know how to cook it.
Perhaps it is because the lobsters were getting old in the tank, or they
had too many. Then if they don't sell them quickly they freeze them to
extend their shelf life.

Occasionally, like a week or two ago they had lots of canning lobsters
on sale cheap. I guess they had some left over because this week they
are frozen.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 16:07:16 -0400, "biig" wrote:

Our store had cooked, frozen market lobster on for 3.99 and I got one to
try. It's defrosting now and I wonder what the best way to reheat it would
be. I don't want to turn it into rubber...thanks a bunch...Sharon in Canada

I don't know what market lobster is. Do you have lobster tail or a
whole lobster?