Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BOGO - frozen Maine lobster tails - what to do?

What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.

They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:32:46 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>
>They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

No, it is 99˘ cheaper to eat out. A local restaurant was advertising
$5 lobster tails. Lobster has been cheap recently.

I'd probably steam them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.

If you just want to taste the lobster, I would steam them or microwave
them. Serve with coleslaw and fries, fresh corn...something like that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 12/10/2013 15:32, Kalmia ha scritto:

> What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>
> They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

They just open them lengthwinse and grill them, in a place nearby. They
have 3 grills, each one has a different amount of red-hot coals and a
different distance from the coal, so different temperatures. They
probably do the lobsters over two differente heats to heve them both
cooked thoroughly and crusty on the outside, but I don't know if they
first put them over low or high. Thay are great, served with little
bowls of maio, herbed maio, herbed butter and a sweet-sour sauce which
reminds both of maio and ketchup, maybe with some soy sauce in it.
But here lobster is all but cheap, that dish goes for 18 euro bucks.
With chips or baked potatoes or lattuce salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:32:46 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>
> They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

I'd keep it simple. Broil them and serve drawn butter along side a
nice steak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:38:55 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:32:46 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
>

> >What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.

> >They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

> No, it is 99˘ cheaper to eat out. A local restaurant was advertising
>
> $5 lobster tails. Lobster has been cheap recently.

With sides too? Don't forget about tax, tip etc, my man.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:38:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:32:46 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:
>
>>What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>>
>>They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

>No, it is 99˘ cheaper to eat out. A local restaurant was advertising
>$5 lobster tails. Lobster has been cheap recently.

Huge difference between tails (frozen) and whole live lobster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor
> type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>
> They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

Lobster thermidor is just a waste of lobster. Fire up the grill, split them
down the middle and grill using plenty of butter and just a touch of lemon.
Serve with butter dipping sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:16:43 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> > What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor
> > type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
> >
> > They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

> Lobster thermidor is just a waste of lobster. Fire up the grill, split them
> down the middle and grill using plenty of butter and just a touch of lemon.
> Serve with butter dipping sauce.

That sounds great! Use the fire to cook a couple of steaks too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:03:27 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:16:43 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>wrote:
>

>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> > What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor
>> > type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>> >
>> > They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

>> Lobster thermidor is just a waste of lobster. Fire up the grill, split them
>> down the middle and grill using plenty of butter and just a touch of lemon.
>> Serve with butter dipping sauce.
>>

>That sounds great! Use the fire to cook a couple of steaks too.

Then you can give the meal a catchy name like "Ocean and Turf" or "Sea
and Turf" Nah, it would never catch on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2013 11:12 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:38:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:32:46 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>>>
>>> They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

>> No, it is 99˘ cheaper to eat out. A local restaurant was advertising
>> $5 lobster tails. Lobster has been cheap recently.

> Huge difference between tails (frozen) and whole live lobster.

Speaking of lobster, we took my mom out for lunch to her choice of
restaurants and so we went to Red Lobster. The food was really good.
The entertainment was interesting, too. We were near the lobster tank
and they kept fighting! A couple of times it seemed as if one or two
were going to jump out. The splashed water up into the air and on the
floor. Weird thing is that one of the waitresses told us that a couple
of the big ones ate a small one last week. I guess lobsters, like
crabs, will eat anything including each other.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/13 9:32 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.

Lobster Saute, Norfolk style -- remove the meat from the shells, and
saute it with butter, salt and pepper, a tablespoon of tarragon vinegar
(or whiter vinegar with fresh tarragon), Old Bay seasoning, and lemon
juice. A small amount of minced onion is optional, as are some small
strips of cured Virginia (Smithfield) ham.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 10:54:55 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 10/12/13 9:32 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.

> Lobster Saute, Norfolk style -- remove the meat from the shells, and
>
> saute it with butter, salt and pepper, a tablespoon of tarragon vinegar
>
> (or whiter vinegar with fresh tarragon), Old Bay seasoning, and lemon
>
> juice. A small amount of minced onion is optional, as are some small
>
> strips of cured Virginia (Smithfield) ham.

This sounds really good - but I'll add a tiny splash of sherry and skip the ham. Hey, I'll even get to make a dent in that 20 year old Old Bay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> ltrgyst wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> > What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor
>> > prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.

>> Lobster Saute, Norfolk style -- remove the meat from the shells, and
>> saute it with butter, salt and pepper, a tablespoon of tarragon vinegar
>> (or whiter vinegar with fresh tarragon), Old Bay seasoning, and lemon
>> juice. A small amount of minced onion is optional, as are some small
>> strips of cured Virginia (Smithfield) ham.

>This sounds really good - but I'll add a tiny splash of sherry and skip the ham.
>Hey, I'll even get to make a dent in that 20 year old Old Bay.

After all those years it has to be stale and flavorless... treat
yourself to a new tin, the smallest you can find, and store it in your
freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2013 9:32 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.
>
> They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

Years ago I brought back an ice chest full of live lobster, a 900 mile
trip. Anyway, I boiled the lobster than dunked in ice water, than
packaged up and froze them. Whenever I wanted one, I steamed it for ten
minutes and it was as good as gold!

--
Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 18, 2013 7:55:20 PM UTC-4, mawil1013 wrote:
> On 10/12/2013 9:32 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > What would your fave way be to use these? We aren't crazy about thermidor type prep - we just wanna taste the lob-stah.

> > They were 10.99 for the two - def. cheaper than eating out.

> Years ago I brought back an ice chest full of live lobster, a 900 mile
>
> trip. Anyway, I boiled the lobster than dunked in ice water, than
>
> packaged up and froze them. Whenever I wanted one, I steamed it for ten
>
> minutes and it was as good as gold!

Did you ever figure what it ran ya per pound of pure meat? I'm not counting the gas etc - I figure you were there anyway.