Old 22-08-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizza stone versus Pizza pan to make Naan in oven

At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? Note: I will not be making pizza.

Old 22-08-2009, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? Note: I will not be making pizza.

Mandy - Didn't bother looking at your links.

You can get quarry stones, or paving stones that are unfinished and
untreated at 1/4 of the pizza stone cost or less.

If you were to get a stone(s) large enough to use for pizza in your
oven, why would you need a pizza pan? just use some corn meal and
straight onto the stone with the pizza.

Bob
Old 23-08-2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" wrote in message
At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? Note: I will not be making pizza.

You pretty much have to use a stone to make naan. I bought a somewhat thin,
but adequate pizza stone at our local Walmart for about $15. Thanks for the
video info. I would use twice as much yogurt, and reduce the water
accordingly. The yogurt is what makes it. Use a rolling pin only as little
as you have to. You want your oven temp to be as high as it will safely go
and you should heat your pizza stone for at least 30 minutes before you
bake. She may have used broil? The naan was browner on the top than it
should be.

Ed

Old 23-08-2009, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 5:49*pm, Manda Ruby wrote:
* At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? *Note: I will not be making pizza.

My 13" diameter stone LIVES in my little tiny apartment size electric
stove oven. It takes longer to pre-heat but it really helps keep the
temp from dropping 50 degrees when I need to peek at baking stuff.
Lynn in Fargo
Pre-heated and sitting on the counter/stove top whatever it also keeps
"delivery" pizza hot for over an hour
Old 23-08-2009, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 6:49*pm, Manda Ruby wrote:
* At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? *Note: I will not be making pizza.

I think the stone would be closer to how they bake it in restaurants
(in the tandoori clay oven), so I would try that.

I second that brick idea someone mentioned. I remember years ago that
Julia Child instructed something similar for baking pizza in the oven
in lieu of a stone.

Kris

Old 23-08-2009, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 6:38*pm, "Theron" wrote:
"Manda Ruby" wrote in message

... *At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? *Note: I will not be making pizza.

You pretty much have to use a stone to make naan. I bought a somewhat thin,
but adequate pizza stone at our local Walmart for about $15.

The Walmart nearby doesn't carry it. I will try a super Walmart.

Thanks for the video info.

You r welcome.

I would use twice as much yogurt,

Thanks for the tip.

and reduce the water accordingly.

What do you mean by that? Reduce water as more yogurt is used?

The yogurt is what makes it. Use a rolling pin only as little
as you have to. You want your oven temp to be as high as it will safely go
and you should heat your pizza stone for at least 30 minutes before you
bake. She may have used broil?

I think she switched to broil to bake Naan but preheated the oven by
leaving at 500 degree for 20 minutes. At least that's what my friend
said I didn't understand what the lady in the video said.

The naan was browner on the top than it should be.

So, you would not use broil?

Ed

Old 23-08-2009, 03:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 7:17*pm, Kris wrote:
On Aug 22, 6:49*pm, Manda Ruby wrote:

* At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? *Note: I will not be making pizza.

I think the stone would be closer to how they bake it in restaurants
(in the tandoori clay oven), so I would try that.

I second that brick idea someone mentioned. I remember years ago that
Julia Child instructed something similar for baking pizza in the oven
in lieu of a stone.

Kris

Brick would be heavy for me. Nice idea though.
Old 23-08-2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 3:55*pm, Bob Muncie wrote:
Manda Ruby wrote:
* At target online store (http://tinyurl.com/mq8fqz), Pizza stone is
available for $43.99 and Pizza pan is $9.99 (see left side of the page
at the link). Pizza pan is available at the target store but not pizza
pan.

The recipe I will be using ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vow-kxTPatc

Should I get the pizza stone or is pizza pan good enough? If I should
Pizza stone, is there any that's less expensive but good quality
neverthesless? *Note: I will not be making pizza.

Mandy - Didn't bother looking at your links.

You can get quarry stones, or paving stones that are unfinished and
untreated at 1/4 of the pizza stone cost or less.

If you were to get a stone(s) large enough to use for pizza in your
oven, why would you need a pizza pan? just use some corn meal and
straight onto the stone with the pizza.

What's the corn meal for? Naan is made with flour. You should havew
watched the video at least to see the title.

Bob

Old 23-08-2009, 03:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" wrote in message
On Aug 22, 6:38 pm, "Theron" wrote:
"Manda Ruby" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think so. It would, however, give you a bit more heat at the top in
the 2-3 minutes the naan is baking. If you get your oven as hot as it
absolutely go, short of the cleaning cycle, and you heat your stone, I
don't think you need to broil.

Old 23-08-2009, 03:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:
[...]

Manda - Just referring to using the cornmeal as an interim between the
dough, and stone (for the non-sticking touch).

Bob

Old 23-08-2009, 04:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" wrote in message

"Manda Ruby" wrote in message
On Aug 22, 6:38 pm, "Theron" wrote:
"Manda Ruby" wrote in message

[...]

yogurt water ratio. If you're using more yogurt you should use less
water. You want to keep your liquid/flour ratio the same with either. Naan,
as the lady says, has a moist dough, somewhat like ciabatta.

Ed

Old 23-08-2009, 04:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:38:54 -0700, "Theron"
wrote:

"Manda Ruby" wrote in message
[...]

If she wants to make naan, why wouldn't a large cast iron skillet be
ok?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 23-08-2009, 06:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Manda Ruby" wrote in message
[...]

I suppose it would be. My wife makes popovers in a skillet. I would think
the skillet would have to be hot when the dough goes in and then into the
oven with the skillet. I think a stone is easier, though it's all what
you're used to.

Old 23-08-2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 9:52*pm, Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
wrote:

Pre-heated and sitting on the counter/stove top whatever it also keeps
"delivery" pizza hot for over an hour

Hey, not a bad idea for keeping something warm for, say, a buffet.

Who still owns one of those tea carts with the warming burner from the
sixties? 'Twas a favorite wedding gift at the time.
Old 23-08-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:38:10 -0700, "Theron"
wrote:

I suppose it would be. My wife makes popovers in a skillet. I would think
the skillet would have to be hot when the dough goes in and then into the
oven with the skillet. I think a stone is easier, though it's all what
you're used to.

I was thinking that if she already has a CI skillet, she could heat
that in the oven and save herself $40. Some people go out and buy
kitchen gadgets that they use once and never look at again.