General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 25-10-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,059
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped. So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 369
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

The Bubbo wrote:

I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped. So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks

--
.:Heather:.


I don't make pasta, but is a KitchenAid worth it -- DEFINITELY! I make
cheese straws (think cheese crackers) as holiday gifts that require a
lot of kneeding. Like you, it wreaks havoc on my hands. I rationalized
I needed (er, kneaded g) a KitchenAid mixer for this very purpose, and
it works wonderfully to make the dough (REC: 1 pound sharp cheddar
cheese, 1/2-lb butter, 2 cups of flour, and cayenne to taste)! I also
wonder if I could use the pasta-maker attachment to make the cheese
straws, but I haven't gone that route, yet.

So yes, go for the KA stand mixer.

Sky, an enabler g
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,059
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

skyhooks wrote:
The Bubbo wrote:

I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped.

So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the

KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks

--
.:Heather:.


I don't make pasta, but is a KitchenAid worth it -- DEFINITELY! I make
cheese straws (think cheese crackers) as holiday gifts that require a
lot of kneeding. Like you, it wreaks havoc on my hands. I rationalized
I needed (er, kneaded g) a KitchenAid mixer for this very purpose, and
it works wonderfully to make the dough (REC: 1 pound sharp cheddar
cheese, 1/2-lb butter, 2 cups of flour, and cayenne to taste)! I also
wonder if I could use the pasta-maker attachment to make the cheese
straws, but I haven't gone that route, yet.

So yes, go for the KA stand mixer.

Sky, an enabler g


getting it isn't the problem, I already have a KA
I rationalized it by saying "I want this"
(I rationalized getting the KA pro series food processor because it matched
the stand mixer. you should have seen the battle between the ex and I over
that. she won that round so I bought a new one and let my new puppy eat her
underpants).

I'm just wondering if it does well with pasta dough and if the pasta roller
attachment is worth it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 369
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

The Bubbo wrote:

getting it isn't the problem, I already have a KA
I rationalized it by saying "I want this"
(I rationalized getting the KA pro series food processor because it matched
the stand mixer. you should have seen the battle between the ex and I over
that. she won that round so I bought a new one and let my new puppy eat her
underpants).

I'm just wondering if it does well with pasta dough and if the pasta roller
attachment is worth it.

--
.:Heather:.


Why not buy the attachment and give it a try? I just phoned BB&B (Bed,
Bath & Beyond) to specifically ask this question, and I was told it
could be returned regardless if it's been used (and no time limit,
either). I just might have to give the pasta attachment a try with this
policy!

Sky, who's rationalizing g

P.S. Don't forget to take a 20%-off coupon. BB&B and Linens-n-Things
honor each other's coupons and from other companies.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 395
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

In article ,
The Bubbo wrote:

So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.


I don't think you can go wrong with a Kitchenaid mixer regardless.
Unfortunately the only dough I've made in it is pizza dough which worked
well. Don't go overboard on those attachments. It's easy to do. I have
the meat grinder sausage making attachment. I'm very proud of it. I used
it once twelve or fifteen years ago.

leo

--
http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,962
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

The Bubbo said...

I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been
fun and quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the
dough with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more
extensive than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as
we had hoped. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making
the dough in the KitchenAid stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since
the hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks



Heather,

Yes, you want the pasta accessories!

I wouldn't make homemade without them. They take on all the grungework!

Just use small golf ball sized pieces of dough to run through the pasta
attachment before using the cutters. Using larger amounts can extend MANY
feet long and be unwieldly.

I have the main roller attachment and the spaghetti, linguinni and
fettuccine cutters.

It's such fun!!! I run a string across kitchen cabinets and use plastic
coat hangers in stages, to let the sheets of pasta hang as I roll the
entire batch and again after I cut the pasta with the needed cutter. Then
I take a pair of kitchen scissors and one coat hanger at a time, over
boiling water I trim the pasta in half and it falls into the pot.

It really is fun!!! Having someone else around also adds to the laughs
and wonder!

You WON'T be sorry!

Andy
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 359
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?


"The Bubbo" wrote in message
...
I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun
and
quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the
dough
with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped.
So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the
KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks

--
.:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just
driving
by your mom's house.


Oh yes, I have pasta day and have it strung all over the house. The KA
makes short work of it. be sure to make some really wide and irregular
noodles, forgot what it is called but it really is good with a cream
sauce.also good making a lasagna with the fresh noodles.


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,962
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

Heather,

BTW, neatness is NOT an option!!! Be careless. It doesn't hurt!!! ))

Andy
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,124
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

In article ,
The Bubbo wrote:

I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped. So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks


You're better off to make the dough in a food processor. IMNSHO.
Want a lesson or class? I'm available on Saturday. Your house.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller; blahblahblog 10/13/2006
http://jamlady.eboard.com, Cedric Adams' Hotdish, 10/20/2006
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,059
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
The Bubbo wrote:

I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped.

So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the

KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks


You're better off to make the dough in a food processor. IMNSHO.
Want a lesson or class? I'm available on Saturday. Your house.


let's talk.
This weekend is bad
1) i have a cold
2) it's our anniversary on saturday
3) it's my stepmom's birthday

but I would love to
1) see you
2) get a lesson

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 131
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?



On Oct 25, 7:18 pm, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
Don't go overboard on those attachments. It's easy to do. I have
the meat grinder sausage making attachment. I'm very proud of it. I used
it once twelve or fifteen years ago.

leo


If you mean the grinder itself, get it out next time you want burgers.
Home ground is the best.

If you mean the sausage stuffing adapter, well...Ebay.

Greg Zywicki

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,059
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article ,
The Bubbo wrote:

So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the

KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.


I don't think you can go wrong with a Kitchenaid mixer regardless.
Unfortunately the only dough I've made in it is pizza dough which worked
well. Don't go overboard on those attachments. It's easy to do. I have
the meat grinder sausage making attachment. I'm very proud of it. I used
it once twelve or fifteen years ago.

leo


I used my meat grinder attachment all the time til I misplaced the screw. I'm
sure it got thrown in an odd box for the move and I've not been able to find
it in the last 18 months. I really love the meat grinder. I even use it for
grinding seitan for potsticker filling.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,059
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

Andy wrote:


Heather,

Yes, you want the pasta accessories!

I wouldn't make homemade without them. They take on all the grungework!

Just use small golf ball sized pieces of dough to run through the pasta
attachment before using the cutters. Using larger amounts can extend MANY
feet long and be unwieldly.

I have the main roller attachment and the spaghetti, linguinni and
fettuccine cutters.

It's such fun!!! I run a string across kitchen cabinets and use plastic
coat hangers in stages, to let the sheets of pasta hang as I roll the
entire batch and again after I cut the pasta with the needed cutter. Then
I take a pair of kitchen scissors and one coat hanger at a time, over
boiling water I trim the pasta in half and it falls into the pot.

It really is fun!!! Having someone else around also adds to the laughs
and wonder!

You WON'T be sorry!

Andy


thank you, this is good to know. As much as I love my pasta roller it really
does end up being a pain so maybe I get the attachment for my KA and go from
there.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,387
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?


The Bubbo wrote:
I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
quite a learning experience.
Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped. So,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the KitchenAid
stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?

I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.

Thanks

--
.:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.

Kneading isn't really necessary- If you are using a pasta machine
(roller), the pasta gets kneaded by passing thru the rollers the 3 or 4
times you have to run it thru to get to desired thickness

  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-10-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 508
Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

Yes, you want the pasta accessories!

I wouldn't make homemade without them. They take on all the grungework!

Just use small golf ball sized pieces of dough to run through the pasta
attachment before using the cutters. Using larger amounts can extend MANY
feet long and be unwieldly.

I have the main roller attachment and the spaghetti, linguinni and
fettuccine cutters.

It's such fun!!! I run a string across kitchen cabinets and use plastic
coat hangers in stages, to let the sheets of pasta hang as I roll the
entire batch and again after I cut the pasta with the needed cutter. Then
I take a pair of kitchen scissors and one coat hanger at a time, over
boiling water I trim the pasta in half and it falls into the pot.

It really is fun!!! Having someone else around also adds to the laughs
and wonder!


I'll add a "me too" to this one. I use the KA for the pasta dough, works
fine. Making fresh pasta for company has a major wow factor - at least for
my friends. You'll really enjoy using the attachments. I don't have the
extruder, although am considering getting it.

TammyM




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eggless pasta dough ? ksana Vegetarian cooking 2 08-11-2014 11:45 PM
Pasta dough Viviane Baking 1 16-10-2007 12:01 AM
KitchenAid Attachment Pasta Roller Set - Cleaning Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 7 21-12-2006 02:12 AM
Kitchenaid? Bah! Here's a serious dough mixer! Mark Thorson General Cooking 3 24-01-2006 02:10 AM
Pasta rollers for KitchenAid stand mixer Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 18 27-01-2005 09:32 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017