Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

The Bubbo said...

> I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been
> fun and quite a learning experience.
> Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the
> dough with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more
> extensive than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as
> we had hoped. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making
> the dough in the KitchenAid stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?
>
> I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since
> the hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.
>
> Thanks

Heather,

Yes, you want the pasta accessories!

I wouldn't make homemade without them. They take on all the grungework!

Just use small golf ball sized pieces of dough to run through the pasta
attachment before using the cutters. Using larger amounts can extend MANY
feet long and be unwieldly.

I have the main roller attachment and the spaghetti, linguinni and
fettuccine cutters.

It's such fun!!! I run a string across kitchen cabinets and use plastic
coat hangers in stages, to let the sheets of pasta hang as I roll the
entire batch and again after I cut the pasta with the needed cutter. Then
I take a pair of kitchen scissors and one coat hanger at a time, over
boiling water I trim the pasta in half and it falls into the pot.

It really is fun!!! Having someone else around also adds to the laughs
and wonder!

You WON'T be sorry!

Andy