Dee Randall

Default Pasta rollers for KitchenAid stand mixer

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=284507

shows pasta rollers which
"Makes lasagna noodles, fettuccine and linguine fini. Set includes roller,
fettuccine cutter, linguine fini cutter and cleaning brush to remove dried
dough after use. Attaches to the front power hub of all KitchenAid stand
mixers.
One year full warranty."

One review states that he/she wished that the rollers made regular linguine
instead of the angel-hair style.

Has anyone used one of these rollers for ravioli making? If so, could you
give me some helpful hints on what can and can't be done with it.
I'd REALLY appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=284507

> shows pasta rollers which
> "Makes lasagna noodles, fettuccine and linguine fini. Set includes roller,
> fettuccine cutter, linguine fini cutter and cleaning brush to remove dried
> dough after use. Attaches to the front power hub of all KitchenAid stand
> mixers.
> One year full warranty."
>
> One review states that he/she wished that the rollers made regular

linguine
> instead of the angel-hair style.
>
> Has anyone used one of these rollers for ravioli making? If so, could you
> give me some helpful hints on what can and can't be done with it.
> I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I have pasta roller and cutters for my KA. I use it pretty frequently. For
ravioli, I use several methods.

1: Lay out the sheet of dough from the roller. Deposit the filling on the
dough leaving space all around. Moisten the dough around the filling with
water using a pasty brush. Place another sheet of dough on top of the
filling. Press all around the filling, expelling as much air as possible.
Use a pizza cutter to separate into individual ravioli. If you want fancier
ravioli, you can use a biscuit cutter to cut them into individual units.

2. Lay out the sheet of dough from the roller. Deposit the filling on the
sheet just in front of an imaginary line running down the center of the
sheet leaving room all around the filling blobs. Moisten the dough in front
of and beside the filling. Fold the sheet over the filling and press out the
air. Avoid moistening the part of the dough you fold over as wet dough only
sticks to dry dough - both sides can't be wet. Separate the ravioli with a
cutter or knife.

3. Lay out the sheet of dough. Cut out rounds using a biscuit cutter. Put
on disk in a dumpling press. Deposit the filling. Moisten half of the
edges. Close the press
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Dumpling+press

You can also use a ravioli maker - one that looks like an ice cube tray:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Ravioli+maker

Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>>

> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=284507
>>
>> shows pasta rollers which
>> "Makes lasagna noodles, fettuccine and linguine fini. Set includes
>> roller,
>> fettuccine cutter, linguine fini cutter and cleaning brush to remove
>> dried
>> dough after use. Attaches to the front power hub of all KitchenAid stand
>> mixers.
>> One year full warranty."
>>
>> One review states that he/she wished that the rollers made regular

> linguine
>> instead of the angel-hair style.
>>
>> Has anyone used one of these rollers for ravioli making? If so, could
>> you
>> give me some helpful hints on what can and can't be done with it.
>> I'd REALLY appreciate it.

> I have pasta roller and cutters for my KA. I use it pretty frequently.
> For
> ravioli, I use several methods.
>
> 1: Lay out the sheet of dough from the roller. Deposit the filling on
> the
> dough leaving space all around. Moisten the dough around the filling with
> water using a pasty brush. Place another sheet of dough on top of the
> filling. Press all around the filling, expelling as much air as possible.
> Use a pizza cutter to separate into individual ravioli. If you want
> fancier
> ravioli, you can use a biscuit cutter to cut them into individual units.
>
> 2. Lay out the sheet of dough from the roller. Deposit the filling on
> the
> sheet just in front of an imaginary line running down the center of the
> sheet leaving room all around the filling blobs. Moisten the dough in
> front
> of and beside the filling. Fold the sheet over the filling and press out
> the
> air. Avoid moistening the part of the dough you fold over as wet dough
> only
> sticks to dry dough - both sides can't be wet. Separate the ravioli with
> cutter or knife.
>
> 3. Lay out the sheet of dough. Cut out rounds using a biscuit cutter.
> Put
> on disk in a dumpling press. Deposit the filling. Moisten half of the
> edges. Close the press
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Dumpling+press
>
> You can also use a ravioli maker - one that looks like an ice cube tray:
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Ravioli+maker

THANK YOU!!
I will keep this information as it gives me encouragement to buy this. Once
upon a time when I was trying to make raviolis, I bought one of the
"ravioli+maker"'s and even though I recall buying a decent brand, the metal
of the 'ice cube' tray flaked off. It brought my ravioli making to a halt,
as I also had bought one of the Italian crank by hand pasta rollers and I
could not manage the dough alone. Since I've watched a few food shows, I
see that I would like to make the long strips as you describe in 1. and 2.
I have a dumpling press, and wouldn't have thought of it to use, so thanks
again.

Equipment seems to come and go in my house. I am getting rid of some
clutter in a storage room, and one of the things I got rid of was a hand
grinder I bought to grind wheat grass. Only a few times of using, the top
metal (might have been tin) flaked off. It was one of those items I didn't
return (far away) because it was on sale and at a health food shop that I
didn't want to deal with the return. Not a great loss though; I learned
that I didn't want to 'do' wheat grass.

I really don't mind getting rid of equipment and trying new things. Usually
I chalk up the expense as a 'meal out at a good restaurant.' I'm going to
be looking forward to this new purchase. Thanks so much.

Dee

Will

Dee Randall wrote:

> I really don't mind getting rid of equipment and trying new things.

Usually
> I chalk up the expense as a 'meal out at a good restaurant.' I'm

going to
> be looking forward to this new purchase. Thanks so much.
>
> Dee

Dee,

When you order the hardware, do yourself a favor and add this book to
the order. It's cheap. The methods posted earlier are depicted in it.
And there are a lot of outrageous ravioli recipes...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Will

DawnK

"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> I really don't mind getting rid of equipment and trying new things.

> Usually
>> I chalk up the expense as a 'meal out at a good restaurant.' I'm

> going to
>> be looking forward to this new purchase. Thanks so much.
>>
>> Dee

> Dee,
>
> When you order the hardware, do yourself a favor and add this book to
> the order. It's cheap. The methods posted earlier are depicted in it.
> And there are a lot of outrageous ravioli recipes...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
> Will

I'll have to put that book on my wish list. I'm also hungry for homemade
pasta, too! LOL! I just have a hand-cranked one, but my daughter and I are
pretty good at making pasta with it!

Dawn

Dee Randall

"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> I really don't mind getting rid of equipment and trying new things.

> Usually
>> I chalk up the expense as a 'meal out at a good restaurant.' I'm

> going to
>> be looking forward to this new purchase. Thanks so much.
>>
>> Dee

> Dee,
>
> When you order the hardware, do yourself a favor and add this book to
> the order. It's cheap. The methods posted earlier are depicted in it.
> And there are a lot of outrageous ravioli recipes...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
> Will

I have a million cook books but none specializing in Ravioli. Usually I
stay away from these little books that Williams-Sonoma puts out, but I will
take your recommendation.
Thanks a million, Will.
Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> THANK YOU!!
> I will keep this information as it gives me encouragement to buy this.

Once
> upon a time when I was trying to make raviolis, I bought one of the
> "ravioli+maker"'s and even though I recall buying a decent brand, the

metal
> of the 'ice cube' tray flaked off. It brought my ravioli making to a

halt,
> as I also had bought one of the Italian crank by hand pasta rollers and I
> could not manage the dough alone. Since I've watched a few food shows, I
> see that I would like to make the long strips as you describe in 1. and 2.
> I have a dumpling press, and wouldn't have thought of it to use, so thanks
> again.
>
> Equipment seems to come and go in my house. I am getting rid of some
> clutter in a storage room, and one of the things I got rid of was a hand
> grinder I bought to grind wheat grass. Only a few times of using, the top
> metal (might have been tin) flaked off. It was one of those items I

didn't
> return (far away) because it was on sale and at a health food shop that I
> didn't want to deal with the return. Not a great loss though; I learned
> that I didn't want to 'do' wheat grass.
>
> I really don't mind getting rid of equipment and trying new things.

Usually
> I chalk up the expense as a 'meal out at a good restaurant.' I'm going to
> be looking forward to this new purchase. Thanks so much.

I do like the pasta roller set and use it two or three times a month. I
wish there were a few more sizes of cutters, or at least one size between
wide and narrow. I have used it once to roll dough for calzones. The
rollers can be set to roll impossibly thin dough - too thin to be cut with
the roller set. This makes me want to try it with gum paste for flowers. I
find that rolling the gum past is the most tedious part of the process, so
perhaps the roller can improve the processes. Also, I can see using it to
roll strips of fondant for ribbons and other decorations when I make a
fondant covered cake.

Will

Dee Randall wrote:

> I have a million cook books but none specializing in Ravioli.

Usually I
> stay away from these little books that Williams-Sonoma puts out, but

I will
> take your recommendation.
> Thanks a million, Will.
> Dee

It's the only WS book I have. I don't think you will be sorry.

Will

Nartker

>I've owned a KA stand mixer for years, I cannot figure out what took
>them so long to get this attachment to market. It is the best one
>(after the dough hook) and the best made. All stainless from Italy,
>heavy and substantial.

Who stocks them? Amazon comes up negative.

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

Vox Humana

"Nartker" > wrote in message
> >I've owned a KA stand mixer for years, I cannot figure out what took
> >them so long to get this attachment to market. It is the best one
> >(after the dough hook) and the best made. All stainless from Italy,
> >heavy and substantial.
> >

> Who stocks them? Amazon comes up negative.

The pasta roller set is widely available both in stores and online. About
any place that sells the mixer will have the pasta roller including
Williams-Sonoma, Sur La Table, and Bed Bath and Beyond. I have seen it in
the big box discount stores and in major department stores. You can buy in
online he
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...d+pasta+roller

Dee Randall

"Nartker" > wrote in message
> >I've owned a KA stand mixer for years, I cannot figure out what took
>>them so long to get this attachment to market. It is the best one
>>(after the dough hook) and the best made. All stainless from Italy,
>>heavy and substantial.
>>

> Who stocks them? Amazon comes up negative.
>

> Nartker @ AOL.com
>
> Nartker

I just ordered mine from Amazon Sunday night. For some reason, one can put
this information in and get a negative and if you futz around from different
ways, it will come up that they have them.
Try this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...773711-0197457

They have a "deal" that if you order by January 31, if you get the 'code'
(look on the page for it) you can get free shipping and $25 off anything
over $100 if you order kitchen and bathroom items (there are a few
exceptions) Anyway, here is basically what I ordered and my cost -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tchen&n=284507

The pasta roller $99.99 + free shipping
Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife $49.95 - free shipping
-$25 savings for the Jan-1 to Jan 31 promotion
Total basically $125

Dee

Kenneth

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:09:37 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...773711-0197457

Dee,

That link does not work.

--
Kenneth

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Nartker" > wrote in message
>> >I've owned a KA stand mixer for years, I cannot figure out what took
>>>them so long to get this attachment to market. It is the best one
>>>(after the dough hook) and the best made. All stainless from Italy,
>>>heavy and substantial.
>>>

>> Who stocks them? Amazon comes up negative.
>>

>> Nartker @ AOL.com

Most any store that sells the KA line should have them. I paid $99 but I've
seen them for $129 or so "list" price.

Donald Tsang

Kenneth > wrote:
>"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...773711-0197457

>Dee,
>
>That link does not work.

Try: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B00004SGFS/

Donald
Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> THANK YOU!!
>> I will keep this information as it gives me encouragement to buy this.

> Once
>> upon a time when I was trying to make raviolis, I bought one of the
>> "ravioli+maker"'s and even though I recall buying a decent brand, the

> metal
>> of the 'ice cube' tray flaked off. It brought my ravioli making to a

> halt,
>> as I also had bought one of the Italian crank by hand pasta rollers and I
>> could not manage the dough alone. Since I've watched a few food shows,
>> see that I would like to make the long strips as you describe in 1. and
>> 2.
>> I have a dumpling press, and wouldn't have thought of it to use, so
>> thanks
>> again.
>>
>> Equipment seems to come and go in my house. I am getting rid of some
>> clutter in a storage room, and one of the things I got rid of was a hand
>> grinder I bought to grind wheat grass. Only a few times of using, the
>> top
>> metal (might have been tin) flaked off. It was one of those items I

> didn't
>> return (far away) because it was on sale and at a health food shop that I
>> didn't want to deal with the return. Not a great loss though; I learned
>> that I didn't want to 'do' wheat grass.
>>
>> I really don't mind getting rid of equipment and trying new things.

> Usually
>> I chalk up the expense as a 'meal out at a good restaurant.' I'm going
>> be looking forward to this new purchase. Thanks so much.
>>

> I do like the pasta roller set and use it two or three times a month. I
> wish there were a few more sizes of cutters, or at least one size between
> wide and narrow. I have used it once to roll dough for calzones. The
> rollers can be set to roll impossibly thin dough - too thin to be cut with
> the roller set. This makes me want to try it with gum paste for flowers.
> find that rolling the gum past is the most tedious part of the process, so
> perhaps the roller can improve the processes. Also, I can see using it to
> roll strips of fondant for ribbons and other decorations when I make a
> fondant covered cake.

Good delivery from amazon.com which said 5-9 business days for delivery of
the pasta roller and Cuisinart knife (2 blades, 1 for bread). I ordered it
Sunday night 1-23 and received 1-26 Wednesday today at 2:30. I can't wait
to try them out.
Thanks Vox and all for your help in helping me decide on these products.
Dee

rosem

Dee,

I have the KitchenAid pasta rollers and use the flat roller all the
time when I make ravioli. I have a ravioli maker which is similar to
this one sold on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

You keep putting the dough through the roller until you get it to the
thinness you want and cut it to size. The width is just perfect for
the ravioli maker which makes 12 at a time. You put one sheet of dough
down, and then put filling in. Put another sheet of dough on top and
roll over the form and you have 12 perfect ravioli!

Hope this helps.

Vox Humana

"rosem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dee,
>
> I have the KitchenAid pasta rollers and use the flat roller all the
> time when I make ravioli. I have a ravioli maker which is similar to
> this one sold on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

> You keep putting the dough through the roller until you get it to the
> thinness you want and cut it to size. The width is just perfect for
> the ravioli maker which makes 12 at a time. You put one sheet of dough
> down, and then put filling in. Put another sheet of dough on top and
> roll over the form and you have 12 perfect ravioli!
>
> Hope this helps.

I have the Simac ravioli machine and have never been able to get it to work
right. What is your final setting on the KitchenAid pasta rolls when you
make the sheet that is later feed into the ravioli machine?

rosem

My ravioli maker (made by Vitantonio) is similar to the one referenced
above made by Villaware, except mine has 12 openings and the one
offered by Amazon has only 10. It is not an automatic machine. It
looks like an ice cube tray and you just place the sheet on top of the
tray. It is not fed. I usually finish off with 4 or 5. I use 5 when I
use semolina/flour mixture since I get a much stronger dough than when
just using flour alone.

Vox Humana

"rosem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My ravioli maker (made by Vitantonio) is similar to the one referenced
> above made by Villaware, except mine has 12 openings and the one
> offered by Amazon has only 10. It is not an automatic machine. It
> looks like an ice cube tray and you just place the sheet on top of the
> tray. It is not fed. I usually finish off with 4 or 5. I use 5 when I
> use semolina/flour mixture since I get a much stronger dough than when
> just using flour alone.

Oh. I have the automatic machine, but I think I am going to get the "ice
cube tray" version. Sometimes life is too short to make things work. I also
stop at 4 or 5 for most pasta. Going beyond 5 is just too thin.