Posted to rec.food.cooking
Skyhooks Skyhooks is offline

Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

The Bubbo wrote:

> I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
> quite a learning experience.
> Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
> with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
> than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped. So,
> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the KitchenAid
> stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?
>
> I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
> hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> .:Heather:.

I don't make pasta, but is a KitchenAid worth it -- DEFINITELY! I make
cheese straws (think cheese crackers) as holiday gifts that require a
lot of kneeding. Like you, it wreaks havoc on my hands. I rationalized
I needed (er, kneaded <g>) a KitchenAid mixer for this very purpose, and
it works wonderfully to make the dough (REC: 1 pound sharp cheddar
cheese, 1/2-lb butter, 2 cups of flour, and cayenne to taste)! I also
wonder if I could use the pasta-maker attachment to make the cheese
straws, but I haven't gone that route, yet.

So yes, go for the KA stand mixer.

Sky, an enabler <g>