Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo The Bubbo is offline

Default Pasta dough in the KitchenAid?

skyhooks wrote:
> The Bubbo wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to make more of my own pasta lately which has been fun and
>> quite a learning experience.
>> Anyway, I'm discovering that I'm having a very hard time kneading the dough
>> with my gimpy hand. The surgery I had in May ended up being more extensive
>> than we expected and recovery is just not going as well as we had hoped.

So,
>> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making the dough in the

KitchenAid
>> stand mixer? Does it work? is it worth it?
>>
>> I'm also thinking of getting the pasta roller attachment as well since the
>> hand cranking can really do a number on my hand as well.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> .:Heather:.

> I don't make pasta, but is a KitchenAid worth it -- DEFINITELY! I make
> cheese straws (think cheese crackers) as holiday gifts that require a
> lot of kneeding. Like you, it wreaks havoc on my hands. I rationalized
> I needed (er, kneaded <g>) a KitchenAid mixer for this very purpose, and
> it works wonderfully to make the dough (REC: 1 pound sharp cheddar
> cheese, 1/2-lb butter, 2 cups of flour, and cayenne to taste)! I also
> wonder if I could use the pasta-maker attachment to make the cheese
> straws, but I haven't gone that route, yet.
>
> So yes, go for the KA stand mixer.
>
> Sky, an enabler <g>

getting it isn't the problem, I already have a KA
I rationalized it by saying "I want this"
(I rationalized getting the KA pro series food processor because it matched
the stand mixer. you should have seen the battle between the ex and I over
that. she won that round so I bought a new one and let my new puppy eat her
underpants).

I'm just wondering if it does well with pasta dough and if the pasta roller
attachment is worth it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com