Old 25-09-2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned Black Beans

Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
taquitos?

YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)

I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

Old 25-09-2006, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
taquitos?

YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)

I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

canned beans are a staple for me. They aren't cheating any more than frozen
corn. I love to have extra cans of great northern, kidney, black and garbonzo
beans in the pantry for whatever I feel like making.

Also, they're a quick source of protein when I can't think of anything more
creative to make for David.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 25-09-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
taquitos?

YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)

I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep canned around for when I don't want to make a whole pot.
I love black bean nachos! Just the beans, chunky hot salsa, and
shredded cheddar.

Old 25-09-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

kilikini wrote:
Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Nothing wrong with short cuts when the canned product is as close to
the fresh as beans are. I always rinse them, though.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
taquitos?

Fried black bean taquitos, with or without cheese, are the greatest for
eating guacamole. -aem

Old 25-09-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I always have cans of black beans around! I use them for everything
that calls for black beans, unless it is a dish that is a showcase for
them specifically.

There should be NO shame in using them.

Happy eating!

Kris

Old 25-09-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

"kilikini" wrote in message
Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she

got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and

cheese
taquitos?

YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd

never
know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)

I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep canned around for when I don't want to make a whole pot.
I love black bean nachos! Just the beans, chunky hot salsa, and
shredded cheddar.

Nachos are a good idea, too. Yum!

kili

Old 25-09-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...

kilikini wrote:
Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she

got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Nothing wrong with short cuts when the canned product is as close to
the fresh as beans are. I always rinse them, though.

Okay, rinse, good idea. Thanks!

kili

Old 25-09-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" wrote in message
oups.com...
I always have cans of black beans around! I use them for everything
that calls for black beans, unless it is a dish that is a showcase for
them specifically.

There should be NO shame in using them.

Happy eating!

Kris

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

Old 25-09-2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
taquitos?

YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)

I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

speaking of...
I pulled a can of black beans out of the pantry, seasond them and served them
with fake steak mole on rice and sauteed kale with garlic and apples.

Old 25-09-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" wrote in message
kilikini wrote:
[...]

Ooooooooh, that sounds good!

kili

Old 25-09-2006, 04:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

"The Bubbo" wrote in message
kilikini wrote:
[...]

It totally was.
We were busy today and I didn't get to making dinner until late and we didn't
eat until 10. I'd hoped to get veggie chili made as I feel inspired but it
just didn't happen.

Old 25-09-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote

Nachos are a good idea, too. Yum!

You neeeeeed some sour cream for dipping! EG

If you look at the nutrition in black beans, you can
easily rationalize the downside of such eating.

Enjoy!

Old 25-09-2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve opined:

Black beans are the best canned bean there is for general purpose
Mexican/Tex-mex/Cal-mex foods. More flavor and better
texture/size than most other beans.

Mmm.... I dunno, my tastes aren't as immutable as that. Sometimes I think
pinto beans are better.

Bob

Old 25-09-2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kili wrote:

Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
taquitos?

YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)

I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm

While everybody has jumped on the Tex-Mex bandwagon here -- and there's
nothing wrong with that; I'm perfectly happy there too -- let me point out
that you can also make falafel or hummus from canned black beans.

.....mmmm.... black bean falafels fried inside a corn tortilla, with a dollop
of yogurt...

Have fun cooking and enjoy!

Bob