Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned Black Beans

Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
taquitos?

YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)

I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>
> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

canned beans are a staple for me. They aren't cheating any more than frozen
corn. I love to have extra cans of great northern, kidney, black and garbonzo
beans in the pantry for whatever I feel like making.

Also, they're a quick source of protein when I can't think of anything more
creative to make for David.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>
> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep canned around for when I don't want to make a whole pot.
I love black bean nachos! Just the beans, chunky hot salsa, and
shredded cheddar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

kilikini wrote:
> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Nothing wrong with short cuts when the canned product is as close to
the fresh as beans are. I always rinse them, though.

> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?

Fried black bean taquitos, with or without cheese, are the greatest for
eating guacamole. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I always have cans of black beans around! I use them for everything
that calls for black beans, unless it is a dish that is a showcase for
them specifically.

There should be NO shame in using them.

Happy eating!

Kris

kilikini wrote:
> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>
> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>
> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> > Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she

got
> > from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
> >
> > Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and

cheese
> > taquitos?
> >
> > YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> > have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd

never
> > know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
> >
> > I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> > happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >

> I keep canned around for when I don't want to make a whole pot.
> I love black bean nachos! Just the beans, chunky hot salsa, and
> shredded cheddar.

Nachos are a good idea, too. Yum!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> kilikini wrote:
> > Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she

got
> > from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
> >

> Nothing wrong with short cuts when the canned product is as close to
> the fresh as beans are. I always rinse them, though.

Okay, rinse, good idea. Thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I always have cans of black beans around! I use them for everything
> that calls for black beans, unless it is a dish that is a showcase for
> them specifically.
>
> There should be NO shame in using them.
>
> Happy eating!
>
> Kris

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>
> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

speaking of...
I pulled a can of black beans out of the pantry, seasond them and served them
with fake steak mole on rice and sauteed kale with garlic and apples.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
> > Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she

got
> > from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
> >
> > Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and

cheese
> > taquitos?
> >
> > YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> > have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd

never
> > know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
> >
> > I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> > happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > kili
> >

> speaking of...
> I pulled a can of black beans out of the pantry, seasond them and served

them
> with fake steak mole on rice and sauteed kale with garlic and apples.

Ooooooooh, that sounds good!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> "The Bubbo" > wrote in message
>> kilikini wrote:
>> > Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she

> got
>> > from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>> >
>> > Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and

> cheese
>> > taquitos?
>> >
>> > YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
>> > have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd

> never
>> > know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>> >
>> > I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
>> > happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> >
>> > kili
>> >

>> speaking of...
>> I pulled a can of black beans out of the pantry, seasond them and served

> them
>> with fake steak mole on rice and sauteed kale with garlic and apples.
>>

> Ooooooooh, that sounds good!
>
> kili

It totally was.
We were busy today and I didn't get to making dinner until late and we didn't
eat until 10. I'd hoped to get veggie chili made as I feel inspired but it
just didn't happen.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> Nachos are a good idea, too. Yum!

You neeeeeed some sour cream for dipping! <EG>

If you look at the nutrition in black beans, you can
easily rationalize the downside of such eating.

Enjoy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve opined:

> Black beans are the best canned bean there is for general purpose
> Mexican/Tex-mex/Cal-mex foods. More flavor and better
> texture/size than most other beans.

Mmm.... I dunno, my tastes aren't as immutable as that. Sometimes I think
pinto beans are better.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kili wrote:

> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>
> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While everybody has jumped on the Tex-Mex bandwagon here -- and there's
nothing wrong with that; I'm perfectly happy there too -- let me point out
that you can also make falafel or hummus from canned black beans.

.....mmmm.... black bean falafels fried inside a corn tortilla, with a dollop
of yogurt...

Have fun cooking and enjoy!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>
> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

Canned beans are a good thing. :-) SO many things you can do with them!
I sometimes get "Ranch Style" canned beans and toss them into the
blender, then use the now "refried beans" (bean mush) to make nachos.

Layer:

Placed bean mush into a glass pie plate.
Add a light layer of Jack cheese.
Add a layer of Pace Picante sauce.
Add a layer of minced or sliced black olives.
Add a generous layer of white corn tortilla chips.
Top with more Jack cheese and some sliced canned Jalapenos if you are
really brave. <G>

Nuke until the cheese is all melted.

Grab a beer or wine cooler, and a good DVD movie......

;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> > Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> > from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
> >
> > Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> > taquitos?
> >
> > YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> > have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> > know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
> >
> > I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> > happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >

> I keep canned around for when I don't want to make a whole pot.
> I love black bean nachos! Just the beans, chunky hot salsa, and
> shredded cheddar.

Monterey Jack imho is better than cheddar....... ;-)

YMMV tho'!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:48:33 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> > from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

> Black beans are the best canned bean there is for general purpose
> Mexican/Tex-mex/Cal-mex foods. More flavor and better
> texture/size than most other beans.
>
> -sw

Excellent flavor, I concur!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Kili wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she

got
> > from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
> >
> > Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and

cheese
> > taquitos?
> >
> > YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> > have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd

never
> > know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
> >
> > I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> > happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> While everybody has jumped on the Tex-Mex bandwagon here -- and there's
> nothing wrong with that; I'm perfectly happy there too -- let me point out
> that you can also make falafel or hummus from canned black beans.
>
> ....mmmm.... black bean falafels fried inside a corn tortilla, with a

dollop
> of yogurt...
>
> Have fun cooking and enjoy!
>
> Bob

Thank you! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:48:33 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>My friend gave me a can she got
>from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

She took "free food" and her family won't eat it?

I am positive there was a family that really needed it. Your friend
might be an ingrate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can
>> she got from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>>

> Nothing wrong with short cuts when the canned product is as close to
> the fresh as beans are. I always rinse them, though.

Same here. I keep a lot of canned beans on hand, black beans being one of
them. And yes, I drain and rinse them. The liquid in the can of black
beans is, well, black! I used a can to make a quick black bean soup once
without rinsing and the soup came out black, too. Most unpleasant to look
at, but it was still tasty!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can she got
> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

Why care? There is nothing different between canned beans and home
cooked beans. The short cuts that are questionable are things like those
sugary jarred tomato sauces.

> Can you say black bean and cheese tacos? How about black bean and cheese
> taquitos?
>
> YUM! Couldn't have arrived at our door at a better time, too, because I
> have about 20 musgovian corn tortillas. Fry 'em up crisp and you'd never
> know that they're a little old. (Not stale, just a little crumbly.)
>
> I'll eat well for the next couple of days. I'm
> happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:48:33 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> My friend gave me a can she got
>> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

> She took "free food" and her family won't eat it?
>
> I am positive there was a family that really needed it. Your friend
> might be an ingrate.

As someone who has heard all about her friend, they pretty much only eat the
homemade equivalent of "fast food", i.e. frozen pizza rolls and stuff like
that. I'm not sure why she's even going to the food pantry.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> aem wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can
>>> she got from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
>>>

>> Nothing wrong with short cuts when the canned product is as close to
>> the fresh as beans are. I always rinse them, though.
>>

> Same here. I keep a lot of canned beans on hand, black beans being one of
> them. And yes, I drain and rinse them. The liquid in the can of black
> beans is, well, black! I used a can to make a quick black bean soup once
> without rinsing and the soup came out black, too. Most unpleasant to look
> at, but it was still tasty!

Are canned black beans supposed to smell like shoe polish?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ward Abbott wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:48:33 GMT, "kilikini"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> My friend gave me a can she got
> >> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

> > She took "free food" and her family won't eat it?
> >
> > I am positive there was a family that really needed it. Your friend
> > might be an ingrate.

> As someone who has heard all about her friend, they pretty much only eat

the
> homemade equivalent of "fast food", i.e. frozen pizza rolls and stuff like
> that. I'm not sure why she's even going to the food pantry.
>
> Jill

Her pastor just brings a bunch of stuff over, Jill. She generally tries to
give me what they won't eat, but we don't do canned veggies. Canned black
beans, however, I'll take! Heck, it's better than her throwing them out!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> aem wrote:
> > kilikini wrote:
> >> Yeah, it's a short cut, but I don't care! My friend gave me a can
> >> she got from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.
> >>

> > Nothing wrong with short cuts when the canned product is as close to
> > the fresh as beans are. I always rinse them, though.
> >

> Same here. I keep a lot of canned beans on hand, black beans being one of
> them. And yes, I drain and rinse them. The liquid in the can of black
> beans is, well, black! I used a can to make a quick black bean soup once
> without rinsing and the soup came out black, too. Most unpleasant to look
> at, but it was still tasty!
>
> Jill

Ew......... I can imagine the color! LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Ward Abbott wrote:
>>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:48:33 GMT, "kilikini"

>>> She took "free food" and her family won't eat it?
>>>
>>> I am positive there was a family that really needed it. Your
>>> friend might be an ingrate.

>> As someone who has heard all about her friend, they pretty much only
>> eat the homemade equivalent of "fast food", i.e. frozen pizza rolls
>> and stuff like that. I'm not sure why she's even going to the food
>> pantry.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Her pastor just brings a bunch of stuff over, Jill. She generally
> tries to give me what they won't eat, but we don't do canned veggies.
> Canned black beans, however, I'll take! Heck, it's better than her
> throwing them out!
>
> kili

That makes sense, then, if someone is dropping them off. Wish someone would
drop off boxes of food at my house

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:
>"kilikini" > wrote
>> Nachos are a good idea, too. Yum!

>You neeeeeed some sour cream for dipping! <EG>
>
>If you look at the nutrition in black beans, you can
>easily rationalize the downside of such eating.

Complex starchy carbs like (non-fat-added) black beans
are very good for you. (You get plenty of fat from the
lean meat you eat, so let's not start that mess again).

In the nachos, by far the worst thing for you is the
greasy tortilla chips. Non-fat cheese doesn't melt
too well, except for the Kraft slices, but they all
taste like mild American cheese. Seriously; I've
tested the "swiss" and "sharp cheddar" and can't
tell them apart unless I can see the color; but they
melt great. So add lots of salsa and you won't
notice what cheese you're using anyway.

The hard part will be to find some nonfat, non-olestra
chipas...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini > wrote:
>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Same here. I keep a lot of canned beans on hand, black beans being one of
>> them. And yes, I drain and rinse them. The liquid in the can of black
>> beans is, well, black! I used a can to make a quick black bean soup once
>> without rinsing and the soup came out black, too. Most unpleasant to look
>> at, but it was still tasty!

>Ew......... I can imagine the color! LOL.

It's sort of a purply black, like squid ink.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>While everybody has jumped on the Tex-Mex bandwagon here -- and there's
>nothing wrong with that; I'm perfectly happy there too -- let me point out
>that you can also make falafel or hummus from canned black beans.
>
>....mmmm.... black bean falafels fried inside a corn tortilla, with a dollop
>of yogurt...

Hunh?

You're going to have to describe the structure of that.

To me a falafel is a mediterranean hush-puppy that is
crumbled into a pita.

Are you saying to make a hush-puppy out of a blob of
black beans and crumble it into a mexican flapjack?

Or make a bean burrito and deep-fry the whole thing
(which would then, of course, be a bean chimichanga...).

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>Canned beans are a good thing. :-) SO many things you can do with them!
>I sometimes get "Ranch Style" canned beans and toss them into the
>blender, then use the now "refried beans" (bean mush) to make nachos.

You know, you can buy perfectly good refritos in the
"furriner-food" aisle...

>Layer:
>
>Placed bean mush into a glass pie plate.
>Add a light layer of Jack cheese.
>Add a layer of Pace Picante sauce.
>Add a layer of minced or sliced black olives.
>Add a generous layer of white corn tortilla chips.
>Top with more Jack cheese and some sliced canned Jalapenos if you are
>really brave. <G>

You're one layer short for 7-layer dip. Lettuce, I think.
And the chips are for dipping. So you were 2 layers short.

Oh. Of course. Sour cream.

And for Zorro's sake, stay away from the Pace. Ketchup
with bell pepper is not salsa. Get some Herdez.

>Nuke until the cheese is all melted.
>
>Grab a beer or wine cooler, and a good DVD movie......

This part is layered properly.

--Blair
"This damn war."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
>Ward Abbott wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:48:33 GMT, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My friend gave me a can she got
>>> from a free food pantry and her family won't use them.

>> She took "free food" and her family won't eat it?
>>
>> I am positive there was a family that really needed it. Your friend
>> might be an ingrate.

>As someone who has heard all about her friend, they pretty much only eat the
>homemade equivalent of "fast food", i.e. frozen pizza rolls and stuff like
>that. I'm not sure why she's even going to the food pantry.

I used to be like that. Two meals a day at the fast-food
joints, then one un-cartoned and re-heated at home.

Then I learned to cook and how those black and white labels
on the side of the packages work.

This morning I scored 166.5 lbs, nude, down from 252.

There should be a law that anyone who doesn't know how
the food they eat affects their body must be replaced by
a deserving immigrant.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote:
>Why care? There is nothing different between canned beans and home
>cooked beans.

Of all the foods that are canned, beans seem to be the
least affected.

Which is probably why beans are the product that pretty
much sold the whole process of canning to the world.

>The short cuts that are questionable are things like those
>sugary jarred tomato sauces.

Can't blame them. Almost every recipe I've ever read for
sauce says to add sugar.

But yes, adding sugar is ridiculous. If the tomatoes
have any flavor at all, any sweetness of their own, adding
sugar will only flatten it out and make it insipid. The
tomatoes would have to be utterly dead or green before I'll
go looking to adulterate them that way. And if they are,
I'll just make fish and rice instead.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 03:39:55 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>You're going to have to describe the structure of that.
>
>To me a falafel is a mediterranean hush-puppy that is
>crumbled into a pita.

Falafel is made from beans. Substitute black beans for the usual
beans and you have black bean falafel. Easy, no?
>Are you saying to make a hush-puppy out of a blob of
>black beans and crumble it into a mexican flapjack?

Yeah, why not? Look outside the box.. Hummous can be made from a
lot of things, not just chickpeas. So can falafels..or anything....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair asked for clarification:

>>....mmmm.... black bean falafels fried inside a corn tortilla, with a
>>dollop of yogurt...

> Hunh?
>
> You're going to have to describe the structure of that.
>
> To me a falafel is a mediterranean hush-puppy that is
> crumbled into a pita.
>
> Are you saying to make a hush-puppy out of a blob of
> black beans and crumble it into a mexican flapjack?
>
> Or make a bean burrito and deep-fry the whole thing
> (which would then, of course, be a bean chimichanga...).

Make a batch of black-bean-falafel dough into balls about three inches in
diameter. Slightly flatten them and then cut them into half-moon disks.
PARTIALLY fry them.

Wrap corn tortillas in aluminum foil and either steam them or warm them in a
250°F oven to make them pliable.

Put each slightly-flattened and slightly-fried falafel half-moon onto one
side of a corn tortilla. (The corn tortillas here are about six inches in
diameter. Adjust the size of your falafel shapes accordingly; you need a
margin big enough to clip the edges together when the tortilla is folded
over the filling.)

Fold the tortilla over and hold it closed with toothpicks (or paper clips).
Deep-fry the whole thing. Serve with yogurt or tzatziki. A
Mediterranean-style salsa would go well too.

It's a LITTLE like a chimichanga, but the tortilla is simply folded over,
it's not wrapped like a burrito. It's more like a fried taco.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> George > wrote:
>
>>Why care? There is nothing different between canned beans and home
>>cooked beans.

> Of all the foods that are canned, beans seem to be the
> least affected.
>
> Which is probably why beans are the product that pretty
> much sold the whole process of canning to the world.
>

>>The short cuts that are questionable are things like those
>>sugary jarred tomato sauces.

> Can't blame them. Almost every recipe I've ever read for
> sauce says to add sugar.

Sure, but probably not the 30~50% by volume found in a typical jarred
sauce. Basically jarred sauces (along with many other savory dishes)
have become dessert toppings.

> But yes, adding sugar is ridiculous. If the tomatoes
> have any flavor at all, any sweetness of their own, adding
> sugar will only flatten it out and make it insipid. The
> tomatoes would have to be utterly dead or green before I'll
> go looking to adulterate them that way. And if they are,
> I'll just make fish and rice instead.
>
> --Blair

Yes, I am not anti-sugar but am pro taste. I want to taste the
components of the food. I was over a friends the other night and they
asked if I wanted to stay for dinner. They used someones supposd high
end jarred red sauce. Sugar was the predemoninant taste and I could not
taste the tomatoes and onions at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote

> Yes, I am not anti-sugar but am pro taste. I want to taste the components
> of the food. I was over a friends the other night and they asked if I
> wanted to stay for dinner. They used someones supposd high end jarred red
> sauce. Sugar was the predemoninant taste and I could not taste the
> tomatoes and onions at all.

Oh, please. What brand was this? You could not taste the tomatoes and
ONIONS "at all?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> >Canned beans are a good thing. :-) SO many things you can do with them!
> >I sometimes get "Ranch Style" canned beans and toss them into the
> >blender, then use the now "refried beans" (bean mush) to make nachos.

> You know, you can buy perfectly good refritos in the
> "furriner-food" aisle...
>
> >Layer:
> >
> >Placed bean mush into a glass pie plate.
> >Add a light layer of Jack cheese.
> >Add a layer of Pace Picante sauce.
> >Add a layer of minced or sliced black olives.
> >Add a generous layer of white corn tortilla chips.
> >Top with more Jack cheese and some sliced canned Jalapenos if you are
> >really brave. <G>

> You're one layer short for 7-layer dip. Lettuce, I think.
> And the chips are for dipping. So you were 2 layers short.
>
> Oh. Of course. Sour cream.

Guacamole. ;-)
Most 7 layer dips I've seen were 8.

> And for Zorro's sake, stay away from the Pace. Ketchup
> with bell pepper is not salsa. Get some Herdez.

???
Not seen that brand?
I rather like the chunky Pace but Old El Paso is not bad.

Personally, if I have the time, I'll throw together my own salsa, minus
the Cilantro. <G>

> >Nuke until the cheese is all melted.
> >
> >Grab a beer or wine cooler, and a good DVD movie......

> This part is layered properly.
>
> --Blair
> "This damn war."

Yes, but honestly, if you nuke the chips in with the dip, it's a whole
'nuther adventure! Trust me. ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "George" > wrote
>> Yes, I am not anti-sugar but am pro taste. I want to taste the components
>> of the food. I was over a friends the other night and they asked if I
>> wanted to stay for dinner. They used someones supposd high end jarred red
>> sauce. Sugar was the predemoninant taste and I could not taste the
>> tomatoes and onions at all.

> Oh, please. What brand was this? You could not taste the tomatoes and
> ONIONS "at all?"

No idea, but why is it so hard to believe? A typical jarred sauce is
made from low quality tomatoes (which have little flavor) because they
know they will be adding a ton of sugar and salt and a tiny amount of
seasonings.

You can prove it to yourself. Make a simple marinara (good canned
tomatoes, olive oil, onion and garlic) and compare. The one you made
will have at least 100 times the flavor of the jarred sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> A typical jarred sauce is made from low quality tomatoes (which have
> little flavor) because they know they will be adding a ton of sugar and
> salt and a tiny amount of seasonings.
>
> You can prove it to yourself. Make a simple marinara (good canned
> tomatoes, olive oil, onion and garlic) and compare. The one you made will
> have at least 100 times the flavor of the jarred sauce.

I dispute your "100 times the flavor" claim. Please tell me how you measure
flavor. (Are you counting flavonoids per gram?)

Now try adding a pinch of sugar to your homemade marinara sauce. It will be
BETTER. At least a SEXTILLION times better. ("Sextillion" is a funny word,
isn't it? Like a cotillion, only much, much less formal.)

Bob