Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Canned Black Beans

Blair asked for clarification:

>>....mmmm.... black bean falafels fried inside a corn tortilla, with a
>>dollop of yogurt...

> Hunh?
>
> You're going to have to describe the structure of that.
>
> To me a falafel is a mediterranean hush-puppy that is
> crumbled into a pita.
>
> Are you saying to make a hush-puppy out of a blob of
> black beans and crumble it into a mexican flapjack?
>
> Or make a bean burrito and deep-fry the whole thing
> (which would then, of course, be a bean chimichanga...).

Make a batch of black-bean-falafel dough into balls about three inches in
diameter. Slightly flatten them and then cut them into half-moon disks.
PARTIALLY fry them.

Wrap corn tortillas in aluminum foil and either steam them or warm them in a
250°F oven to make them pliable.

Put each slightly-flattened and slightly-fried falafel half-moon onto one
side of a corn tortilla. (The corn tortillas here are about six inches in
diameter. Adjust the size of your falafel shapes accordingly; you need a
margin big enough to clip the edges together when the tortilla is folded
over the filling.)

Fold the tortilla over and hold it closed with toothpicks (or paper clips).
Deep-fry the whole thing. Serve with yogurt or tzatziki. A
Mediterranean-style salsa would go well too.

It's a LITTLE like a chimichanga, but the tortilla is simply folded over,
it's not wrapped like a burrito. It's more like a fried taco.

Bob