Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton Blair P. Houghton is offline

Default Canned Black Beans

George > wrote:
>Why care? There is nothing different between canned beans and home
>cooked beans.

Of all the foods that are canned, beans seem to be the
least affected.

Which is probably why beans are the product that pretty
much sold the whole process of canning to the world.

>The short cuts that are questionable are things like those
>sugary jarred tomato sauces.

Can't blame them. Almost every recipe I've ever read for
sauce says to add sugar.

But yes, adding sugar is ridiculous. If the tomatoes
have any flavor at all, any sweetness of their own, adding
sugar will only flatten it out and make it insipid. The
tomatoes would have to be utterly dead or green before I'll
go looking to adulterate them that way. And if they are,
I'll just make fish and rice instead.

--Blair