Posted to rec.food.cooking
George[_1_] George[_1_] is offline

Default Canned Black Beans

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> George > wrote:
>
>>Why care? There is nothing different between canned beans and home
>>cooked beans.

> Of all the foods that are canned, beans seem to be the
> least affected.
>
> Which is probably why beans are the product that pretty
> much sold the whole process of canning to the world.
>

>>The short cuts that are questionable are things like those
>>sugary jarred tomato sauces.

> Can't blame them. Almost every recipe I've ever read for
> sauce says to add sugar.

Sure, but probably not the 30~50% by volume found in a typical jarred
sauce. Basically jarred sauces (along with many other savory dishes)
have become dessert toppings.

> But yes, adding sugar is ridiculous. If the tomatoes
> have any flavor at all, any sweetness of their own, adding
> sugar will only flatten it out and make it insipid. The
> tomatoes would have to be utterly dead or green before I'll
> go looking to adulterate them that way. And if they are,
> I'll just make fish and rice instead.
>
> --Blair

Yes, I am not anti-sugar but am pro taste. I want to taste the
components of the food. I was over a friends the other night and they
asked if I wanted to stay for dinner. They used someones supposd high
end jarred red sauce. Sugar was the predemoninant taste and I could not
taste the tomatoes and onions at all.