Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned beans or frozen beans (if you can get it)

What are good and bad things about canned beans such as Bush's Best
Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans?

I am trying to develop a way for my brother to eat more conveneiently.
He lives in a nearby city. I am thinking to marinade meat for him so
that he can just take a few piece out of the freezer and cook. Along
with meat, I want to give some beans, frozen veges and fresh fruits
so that he'd have a regular supply. I am not sure whether kidney beans
are available as frozen but today I saw "Bush's best" on sale at $1
per can as well as Organic brand at $1.35. I bought reduced Sodium
version for Bush's Best as well as Oragnic ones which has only 5%
sodium (for kidney beans and garbanzo beans) compared to 9-11% in
Bush's Best.

Any input on *beans* is appreciated. BTW, please don't say how easy it
is to soak the beans and boil it. My brother won't do it. I am not
even sure if he would eat the beans but I am going to suggest that he
eats a littole along with meat in almost every meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
> What are good and bad things about canned beans such as Bush's Best
> Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans?
>

> I am trying to develop a way for my brother to eat more conveneiently.
> He lives in a nearby city. I am thinking to marinade meat for him so
> that he can just take a few piece out of the freezer and cook. Along
> with meat, I want to give some beans, frozen veges and fresh fruits
> so that he'd have a regular supply. I am not sure whether kidney beans
> are available as frozen but today I saw "Bush's best" on sale at $1
> per can as well as Organic brand at $1.35. I bought reduced Sodium
> version for Bush's Best as well as Oragnic ones which has only 5%
> sodium (for kidney beans and garbanzo beans) compared to 9-11% in
> Bush's Best.
>
> Any input on *beans* is appreciated. BTW, please don't say how easy it
> is to soak the beans and boil it. My brother won't do it. I am not
> even sure if he would eat the beans but I am going to suggest that he
> eats a littole along with meat in almost every meal.

I've never seen kidney beans (nor garbanzo) in frozen form, so if soaking
and boiling isn't an option, canned will be your only choice. Be careful
looking at just the percent daily value -- serving sizes may be different
which then may make the "higher" value one the better overall choice.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 2:42*am, "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
> "Manda Ruby" > wrote in message

> > What are good and bad things about canned beans such as Bush's Best
> > Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans?

> > I am trying to develop a way for my brother to eat more conveneiently.
> > He lives in *a nearby city. I am thinking to marinade meat for him so
> > that he can just take a few piece out of the freezer and cook. Along
> > with meat, I want to give some beans, *frozen veges and fresh fruits
> > so that he'd have a regular supply. I am not sure whether kidney beans
> > are available as frozen but today I saw "Bush's best" on sale at $1
> > per can as well as Organic brand at $1.35. I bought reduced Sodium
> > version for Bush's Best as well as Oragnic ones which has only 5%
> > sodium (for kidney beans and garbanzo beans) compared to 9-11% in
> > Bush's Best.

> > Any input on *beans* is appreciated. BTW, please don't say how easy it
> > is to soak the beans and boil it. My brother won't do it. I am not
> > even sure if he would eat the beans but I am going to suggest that he
> > eats a littole along with meat in almost every meal.

> I've never seen kidney beans (nor garbanzo) in frozen form, so if soaking
> and boiling isn't an option, canned will be your only choice. *Be careful
> looking at just the percent daily value -- serving sizes may be different
> which then may make the "higher" value one the better overall choice.
>
> Jinx

Canned beans are perfectly fine. It is easy to soak and cook them, but
it's even easier to open a can! I cooked black beans from dry once.
And there was no appreciable difference to me between the ones I
cooked and the black beans from a can. So I just use canned. Unless
I'm making a soup that will simmer for hours. that's a whole different
story.
I have found Goya beans to be the best combination of reasonably
priced and mostly whole beans. I have bought store branded beans and
occasionally have found they have a higher proportion of "mushed"
beans vs. whole. That's fine for soup but not for salads.

Anyway, canned beans are fine. If sodium is a consideration, just dump
them into a colander or strainer and rinse under running water for
about a minute or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 2:28*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> What are good and bad things about canned beans such as Bush's Best
> Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans?
>
> I am trying to develop a way for my brother to eat more conveneiently.
> He lives in *a nearby city. I am thinking to marinade meat for him so
> that he can just take a few piece out of the freezer and cook. Along
> with meat, I want to give some beans, *frozen veges and fresh fruits
> so that he'd have a regular supply. I am not sure whether kidney beans
> are available as frozen but today I saw "Bush's best" on sale at $1
> per can as well as Organic brand at $1.35. I bought reduced Sodium
> version for Bush's Best as well as Oragnic ones which has only 5%
> sodium (for kidney beans and garbanzo beans) compared to 9-11% in
> Bush's Best.
>
> Any input on *beans* is appreciated. BTW, please don't say how easy it
> is to soak the beans and boil it. My brother won't do it. I am not
> even sure if he would eat the beans but I am going to suggest that he
> eats a littole along with meat in almost every meal.

I buy canned beans strictly on the basis of the sodium content. I
rinse em well on top of that.

I'm with you on soak and boil - mine have always still been tough. Go
with the canned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2:28*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> > What are good and bad things about canned beans such as Bush's Best
> > Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans?
> >
> > I am trying to develop a way for my brother to eat more conveneiently.
> > He lives in *a nearby city. I am thinking to marinade meat for him so
> > that he can just take a few piece out of the freezer and cook. Along
> > with meat, I want to give some beans, *frozen veges and fresh fruits
> > so that he'd have a regular supply. I am not sure whether kidney beans
> > are available as frozen but today I saw "Bush's best" on sale at $1
> > per can as well as Organic brand at $1.35. I bought reduced Sodium
> > version for Bush's Best as well as Oragnic ones which has only 5%
> > sodium (for kidney beans and garbanzo beans) compared to 9-11% in
> > Bush's Best.
> >
> > Any input on *beans* is appreciated. BTW, please don't say how easy it
> > is to soak the beans and boil it. My brother won't do it. I am not
> > even sure if he would eat the beans but I am going to suggest that he
> > eats a littole along with meat in almost every meal.

> I buy canned beans strictly on the basis of the sodium content. I
> rinse em well on top of that.
>
> I'm with you on soak and boil - mine have always still been tough. Go
> with the canned.

I pressure cook dry beans. Never had a tough bean from fresh yet, and
you don't even have to soak them. 35 minutes (once they come to
pressure) and they are done.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 11:58*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *Kalmia > wrote:
> > On Mar 27, 2:28*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> > > What are good and bad things about canned beans such as Bush's Best
> > > Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans?

> > > I am trying to develop a way for my brother to eat more conveneiently..
> > > He lives in *a nearby city. I am thinking to marinade meat for him so
> > > that he can just take a few piece out of the freezer and cook. Along
> > > with meat, I want to give some beans, *frozen veges and fresh fruits
> > > so that he'd have a regular supply. I am not sure whether kidney beans
> > > are available as frozen but today I saw "Bush's best" on sale at $1
> > > per can as well as Organic brand at $1.35. I bought reduced Sodium
> > > version for Bush's Best as well as Oragnic ones which has only 5%
> > > sodium (for kidney beans and garbanzo beans) compared to 9-11% in
> > > Bush's Best.

> > > Any input on *beans* is appreciated. BTW, please don't say how easy it
> > > is to soak the beans and boil it. My brother won't do it. I am not
> > > even sure if he would eat the beans but I am going to suggest that he
> > > eats a littole along with meat in almost every meal.

> > I buy canned beans strictly on the basis of the sodium content. *I
> > rinse em well on top of that.

> > I'm with you on soak and boil - mine have always still been tough. *Go
> > with the canned.

> I pressure cook dry beans. *Never had a tough bean from fresh yet, and
> you don't even have to soak them. *35 minutes (once they come to
> pressure) and they are done.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> "We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

Not everyone has a pressure cooker though. And the OP specifically
asked about canned beans and stated that cooking dry is not an option
in this circumstance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 27, 6:51*am, "Catmandy (Sheryl)" >
wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2:42*am, "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>

> > "Manda Ruby" > wrote in message

> > > What are good and bad things about canned beans such as Bush's Best
> > > Kidney beans or Garbanzo beans?

> > > I am trying to develop a way for my brother to eat more conveneiently..
> > > He lives in *a nearby city. I am thinking to marinade meat for him so
> > > that he can just take a few piece out of the freezer and cook. Along
> > > with meat, I want to give some beans, *frozen veges and fresh fruits
> > > so that he'd have a regular supply. I am not sure whether kidney beans
> > > are available as frozen but today I saw "Bush's best" on sale at $1
> > > per can as well as Organic brand at $1.35. I bought reduced Sodium
> > > version for Bush's Best as well as Oragnic ones which has only 5%
> > > sodium (for kidney beans and garbanzo beans) compared to 9-11% in
> > > Bush's Best.

> > > Any input on *beans* is appreciated. BTW, please don't say how easy it
> > > is to soak the beans and boil it. My brother won't do it. I am not
> > > even sure if he would eat the beans but I am going to suggest that he
> > > eats a littole along with meat in almost every meal.

> > I've never seen kidney beans (nor garbanzo) in frozen form, so if soaking
> > and boiling isn't an option, canned will be your only choice. *Be careful
> > looking at just the percent daily value -- serving sizes may be different
> > which then may make the "higher" value one the better overall choice.

> > Jinx

> Canned beans are perfectly fine. It is easy to soak and cook them, but
> it's even easier to open a can! I cooked black beans from dry once.
> And there was no appreciable difference to me between the ones I
> cooked and the black beans from a can. So I just use canned. Unless
> I'm making a soup that will simmer for hours. that's a whole different
> story.
> I have found Goya beans to be the best combination of reasonably
> priced and mostly whole beans. I have bought store branded beans and
> occasionally have found they have a higher proportion of "mushed"
> beans vs. whole. That's fine for soup but not for salads.

I have usd Goya's grabanzo beans in Texas. Here in CA, I haven't seen
it pravalently. The one (garbanzo) I tried , I din't like it.

> Anyway, canned beans are fine. If sodium is a consideration, just dump
> them into a colander or strainer and rinse under running water for
> about a minute or so.

That's what I thought would be a solution. Thanks for the info.