Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cauliflower for dinner

We frequently have this interesting kohl.
It is made by steaming a whole head with some of the small leaves left
on.
Take it out whilst it is warm and drench in a rich cheese egg sauce.
Then place some buttered crumbs from a croissant on top of the head
and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so until the crumbs are brown.
Take out and put melted butter on the top and then serve.
We love this with a good grilled steak, baked potato and a decent
salad.

Tirimisu is a fav dessert with this meal.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We frequently have this interesting kohl.
> It is made by steaming a whole head with some of the small leaves left
> on.
> Take it out whilst it is warm and drench in a rich cheese egg sauce.
> Then place some buttered crumbs from a croissant on top of the head
> and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so until the crumbs are brown.
> Take out and put melted butter on the top and then serve.
> We love this with a good grilled steak, baked potato and a decent
> salad.
>
> Tirimisu is a fav dessert with this meal.

And how is your BG after that meal?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

brigmave wrote:
> We frequently have this interesting kohl.
> It is made by steaming a whole head with some of the small leaves left
> on.
> Take it out whilst it is warm and drench in a rich cheese egg sauce.
> Then place some buttered crumbs from a croissant on top of the head
> and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so until the crumbs are brown.
> Take out and put melted butter on the top and then serve.
> We love this with a good grilled steak, baked potato and a decent
> salad.
>
> Tirimisu is a fav dessert with this meal.
> Brig

I think you might have this group confused with another recipe group.
This one is for diabetics who must keep a check on the amount of
carbohydrates they consume.

The crumbs, potato and tirimisu wouldn't be for the diabetics.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote in message

>I think you might have this group confused with another recipe group.
>This one is for diabetics who must keep a check on the amount of
>carbohydrates they consume.
>
>The crumbs, potato and tirimisu wouldn't be for the diabetics.

Damnit, I was just getting ready to make this, and now I find out it's
not for me. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

> Janet Wilder wrote in message
>
>>I think you might have this group confused with another recipe group.
>>This one is for diabetics who must keep a check on the amount of
>>carbohydrates they consume.
>>
>>The crumbs, potato and tirimisu wouldn't be for the diabetics.

> Damnit, I was just getting ready to make this, and now I find out it's
> not for me. ;-)

I could have the potato but not the rest.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 3, 7:42 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > We frequently have this interesting kohl.
> > It is made by steaming a whole head with some of the small leaves left
> > on.
> > Take it out whilst it is warm and drench in a rich cheese egg sauce.
> > Then place some buttered crumbs from a croissant on top of the head
> > and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so until the crumbs are brown.
> > Take out and put melted butter on the top and then serve.
> > We love this with a good grilled steak, baked potato and a decent
> > salad.

> > Tirimisu is a fav dessert with this meal.

> And how is your BG after that meal?

Fine, how is yours

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 4, 4:32 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> brigmave wrote:
> > We frequently have this interesting kohl.
> > It is made by steaming a whole head with some of the small leaves left
> > on.
> > Take it out whilst it is warm and drench in a rich cheese egg sauce.
> > Then place some buttered crumbs from a croissant on top of the head
> > and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so until the crumbs are brown.
> > Take out and put melted butter on the top and then serve.
> > We love this with a good grilled steak, baked potato and a decent
> > salad.

> > Tirimisu is a fav dessert with this meal.
> > Brig

> I think you might have this group confused with another recipe group.
> This one is for diabetics who must keep a check on the amount of
> carbohydrates they consume.
>
> The crumbs, potato and tirimisu wouldn't be for the diabetics.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

I think you might have this group confused with another recipe group.
This one is for diabetics who must keep a check on the amount of
carbohydrates they consume.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 4, 7:27 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

> > Janet Wilder wrote in message

> >>I think you might have this group confused with another recipe group.
> >>This one is for diabetics who must keep a check on the amount of
> >>carbohydrates they consume.

> >>The crumbs, potato and tirimisu wouldn't be for the diabetics.

> > Damnit, I was just getting ready to make this, and now I find out it's
> > not for me. ;-)

> I could have the potato but not the rest.

Of course you could have it. You can have whatever you want in
moderation.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:49:49 -0700, brigmave
> wrote:

>> And how is your BG after that meal?

>Fine, how is yours

On Julie's behalf, allow me to be more specific. What was
your blood glucose reading one and two hours after the most
recent time you ate that?

The reason for the question is the "buttered crumbs from a
croissant" and the "baked potato" and the "Tirimisu".

It's possible with your meds regimen and with small portion
sizes they cause you no problems at all. I could probably
handle that at dinner myself, in moderation. But not at
lunch.

That's why some of us are interested in those specific peak
post-prandial BG numbers when people post recipes with
significant carb contents.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We use to take a whole head cauliflower and wash and clean and wrap in
micro safe saran and micro the whole thing in the microwave for a very
tender head of cauliflower. I think it took about 20 minutes in the micro.
But after reading about microwaving in plastic wrap, don't do that anymore.

Then we also covered it in a cheese sauce .Yum! I know it's good

I also love tirimisu and have concocted special tiramisu recipes . I don't
think well suited for diabetics. However If anyone wants any of my
tiramisu recipes , email privately and I will send when I get home from
Vermont

Joan

P.s I also love steamed green cabbage in the micro. Then just add salt,
pepper and a few pats of butter or margarine. Also very delsih !

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We frequently have this interesting kohl.
> It is made by steaming a whole head with some of the small leaves left
> on.
> Take it out whilst it is warm and drench in a rich cheese egg sauce.
> Then place some buttered crumbs from a croissant on top of the head
> and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so until the crumbs are brown.
> Take out and put melted butter on the top and then serve.
> We love this with a good grilled steak, baked potato and a decent
> salad.
>
> Tirimisu is a fav dessert with this meal.
> Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:38:35 GMT, "Joan and her
butterflydogs" > wrote:

>But after reading about microwaving in plastic wrap, don't do that anymore.

Keep doing it. It's a false rumour, an urban myth:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dioxins.htm

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

There are some things I don't microwave in plastic wrap
because it may not stand up to the heat. That's why I
wouldn't use it for a head of cauliflower for 20 minutes -
but cancer is not the reason, just structural strength.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 4, 7:27 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Damnit, I was just getting ready to make this, and now I find out it's
>> > not for me. ;-)

>> I could have the potato but not the rest.

> Of course you could have it. You can have whatever you want in
> moderation.

Really? Even if it spikes us?

I know *I* can't have whatever I want in moderation. I've love a bean
burrito with a side of rice and beans. But even a small one is too many
carbs for me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote in message

>There are some things I don't microwave in plastic wrap
>because it may not stand up to the heat. That's why I
>wouldn't use it for a head of cauliflower for 20 minutes -
>but cancer is not the reason, just structural strength.

Buy some of that Wal-Mart professional food wrap. It will stand up to
anything. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:49:49 -0700, brigmave
> > wrote:
>

> >> And how is your BG after that meal?

> >Fine, how is yours

> On Julie's behalf, allow me to be more specific. What was
> your blood glucose reading one and two hours after the most
> recent time you ate that?
>
> The reason for the question is the "buttered crumbs from a
> croissant" and the "baked potato" and the "Tirimisu".
>
> It's possible with your meds regimen and with small portion
> sizes they cause you no problems at all. I could probably
> handle that at dinner myself, in moderation. But not at
> lunch.
>
> That's why some of us are interested in those specific peak
> post-prandial BG numbers when people post recipes with
> significant carb contents.

They may be on insulin.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:16:14 -0400, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Alan S > wrote:

>> >Fine, how is yours

>> On Julie's behalf, allow me to be more specific. What was
>> your blood glucose reading one and two hours after the most
>> recent time you ate that?
>>
>> The reason for the question is the "buttered crumbs from a
>> croissant" and the "baked potato" and the "Tirimisu".
>>
>> It's possible with your meds regimen and with small portion
>> sizes they cause you no problems at all. I could probably
>> handle that at dinner myself, in moderation. But not at
>> lunch.
>>
>> That's why some of us are interested in those specific peak
>> post-prandial BG numbers when people post recipes with
>> significant carb contents.

>They may be on insulin.
>
>Priscilla

True. I would still ask the same question, but appreciate
that advice in the answer:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:44:18 -0700, "Cheri"
<gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

>Alan S wrote in message
>
>>There are some things I don't microwave in plastic wrap
>>because it may not stand up to the heat. That's why I
>>wouldn't use it for a head of cauliflower for 20 minutes -
>>but cancer is not the reason, just structural strength.

>Buy some of that Wal-Mart professional food wrap. It will stand up to
>anything. :-)
>
>Cheri

Sounds good. But I couldn't see New South Wales here so the
Qantas ticket makes it a little expensive:
http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "brigmave" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

>>> I could have the potato but not the rest.

>> Of course you could have it. You can have whatever you want in
>> moderation.

> Really? Even if it spikes us?
>
> I know *I* can't have whatever I want in moderation. I've love a bean
> burrito with a side of rice and beans. But even a small one is too many
> carbs for me.

When I think of moderation I think of Loretta's portion control. She has
bite-sized servings of a few favourite foods per meal. She prefers a method
where there is a bite of mashed potato, a bite of pudding etc.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

> They may be on insulin.
>
> Priscilla

Being on insulin isn't a carte blanche for carb ingestion. DH has his
pump but he still is careful with carbs. He has to account for what he
is about to eat so that he can bolus correctly. Same was the case when
he was injecting.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 2:21 am, Alan S > wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:49:49 -0700, brigmave
>
> > wrote:
>
> >> And how is your BG after that meal?

> >Fine, how is yours

> On Julie's behalf, allow me to be more specific. What was
> your blood glucose reading one and two hours after the most
> recent time you ate that?
>
> The reason for the question is the "buttered crumbs from a
> croissant" and the "baked potato" and the "Tirimisu".
>
> It's possible with your meds regimen and with small portion
> sizes they cause you no problems at all. I could probably
> handle that at dinner myself, in moderation. But not at
> lunch.
>
> That's why some of us are interested in those specific peak
> post-prandial BG numbers when people post recipes with
> significant carb contents.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> --http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

We don't do our bloods until around 10 or so after dinner at 8p,m, It
seems to be just fine and our endocrinologist, physiatrist and
internal med physicians are all very pleased with our laboratory
outcomes.
Our HgBA1c is 5.6 to 5.9 so that is quite within normal limits for our
physicians standards.
Life is just too short to not have fine meals, wine and enjoy what is
truly good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 5:36 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
>
> > They may be on insulin.

> > Priscilla

> Being on insulin isn't a carte blanche for carb ingestion. DH has his
> pump but he still is careful with carbs. He has to account for what he
> is about to eat so that he can bolus correctly. Same was the case when
> he was injecting.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 5:23 am, Alan S > wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:38:35 GMT, "Joan and her
>
> butterflydogs" > wrote:
> >But after reading about microwaving in plastic wrap, don't do that anymore.

> Keep doing it. It's a false rumour, an urban myth:
>
> http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dioxins.htm
>
> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
>
> There are some things I don't microwave in plastic wrap
> because it may not stand up to the heat. That's why I
> wouldn't use it for a head of cauliflower for 20 minutes -
> but cancer is not the reason, just structural strength.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> --http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

I dont like dealing with this sticky film. So when I microwave I use
glass casserole dishes. So easy to lift the top and add what you want
in seasonings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 8:27 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> I could have the potato but not the rest.

> > Of course you could have it. You can have whatever you want in
> > moderation.

> Really? Even if it spikes us?
>
> I know *I* can't have whatever I want in moderation. I've love a bean
> burrito with a side of rice and beans. But even a small one is too many
> carbs for me.

You see I can' imagine a bean burrito with rice and beans to me it
just sounds awful.
I would so much rather have something nice and worth eating. I really
don't care for border foods.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 10:16 am, "Priscilla H. Ballou" >
wrote:
> In article >,
> Alan S > wrote:

> > >Fine, how is yours

> > On Julie's behalf, allow me to be more specific. What was
> > your blood glucose reading one and two hours after the most
> > recent time you ate that?

> > The reason for the question is the "buttered crumbs from a
> > croissant" and the "baked potato" and the "Tirimisu".

> > It's possible with your meds regimen and with small portion
> > sizes they cause you no problems at all. I could probably
> > handle that at dinner myself, in moderation. But not at
> > lunch.

> > That's why some of us are interested in those specific peak
> > post-prandial BG numbers when people post recipes with
> > significant carb contents.

> They may be on insulin.
>
> Priscilla

Indeed!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 4:08 pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > "brigmave" > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> >> Of course you could have it. You can have whatever you want in
> >> moderation.

> > Really? Even if it spikes us?

> > I know *I* can't have whatever I want in moderation. I've love a bean
> > burrito with a side of rice and beans. But even a small one is too many
> > carbs for me.

> When I think of moderation I think of Loretta's portion control. She has
> bite-sized servings of a few favourite foods per meal. She prefers a method
> where there is a bite of mashed potato, a bite of pudding etc.

To me thats represents a life of deprivation! I want real steak and
real bakers and my vegetable of choice.
For instance we will be having Veal Marsala this evening with fresh
pasta and lovely fresh asparagus. We will have a great dessert of
apple fritter walnut bread pudding with the appropriate sauces. It is
truly wonderful.
By the for those of you who are interested we use Allan Brothers Meats
which are ordered and delivered that same week. They have wonderful
meats that are only PRIME!
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:48:31 -0700, brigmave
> wrote:

>We don't do our bloods until around 10 or so after dinner at 8p,m, It
>seems to be just fine and our endocrinologist, physiatrist and
>internal med physicians are all very pleased with our laboratory
>outcomes.
>Our HgBA1c is 5.6 to 5.9 so that is quite within normal limits for our
>physicians standards.
>Life is just too short to not have fine meals, wine and enjoy what is
>truly good.

Agreed. And quite reasonable A1c's.

Of course, for some, fine meals without considering their
effects can make life even shorter or more painful; the same
applies to wines, a food I encourage in moderation.

Have you read any of Gretchen Becker's excellent books for
type 2's? Here is an example of her writing that may be
relevant to this discussion:
http://www.healthcentral.com/diabete.../peaks-matter/

And here is an example of my lay opinion on why testing at
10 after a meal at 8, and not testing after other meals, may
not be terribly useful:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...-two-hour.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:59:17 -0700, brigmave
> wrote:

>I really don't care for border foods.

??? What is a border food? Something marginal?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:56:43 -0700, brigmave
> wrote:

>On Oct 5, 5:23 am, Alan S > wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:38:35 GMT, "Joan and her
>>
>> butterflydogs" > wrote:
>> >But after reading about microwaving in plastic wrap, don't do that anymore.

>> Keep doing it. It's a false rumour, an urban myth:
>>
>> http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/dioxins.htm
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
>>
>> There are some things I don't microwave in plastic wrap
>> because it may not stand up to the heat. That's why I
>> wouldn't use it for a head of cauliflower for 20 minutes -
>> but cancer is not the reason, just structural strength.
>>
>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>I dont like dealing with this sticky film. So when I microwave I use
>glass casserole dishes. So easy to lift the top and add what you want
>in seasonings.

I don't mind the film in many applications, but I agree with
you for microwaving anything substantial. I use a purpose
designed microwave cooking container, or a casserole dish,
or a soup bowl with an anti-splatter cover, or even a mug
with a bit of cling-film over the top.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 5, 4:08 pm, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> > "brigmave" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > Really? Even if it spikes us?

>> > I know *I* can't have whatever I want in moderation. I've love a bean
>> > burrito with a side of rice and beans. But even a small one is too
>> > many
>> > carbs for me.

>> When I think of moderation I think of Loretta's portion control. She has
>> bite-sized servings of a few favourite foods per meal. She prefers a
>> method
>> where there is a bite of mashed potato, a bite of pudding etc.

> To me thats represents a life of deprivation! I want real steak and
> real bakers and my vegetable of choice.
> For instance we will be having Veal Marsala this evening with fresh
> pasta and lovely fresh asparagus. We will have a great dessert of
> apple fritter walnut bread pudding with the appropriate sauces. It is
> truly wonderful.
> By the for those of you who are interested we use Allan Brothers Meats
> which are ordered and delivered that same week. They have wonderful
> meats that are only PRIME!

Holy cow, my bg's would be thru the roof in 15 minutes with just the pasta
Hate to think where it would be after dessert, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> When I think of moderation I think of Loretta's portion control. She has
> bite-sized servings of a few favourite foods per meal. She prefers a
> method where there is a bite of mashed potato, a bite of pudding etc.

But then where do you get those bites of food from? The only way I could do
that is to go to some sort of buffet restaurant and there most of what they
have is off limits for me because of my food allergies. If I make food at
home, I'm not going to take the time to make just a bite of something.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> To me thats represents a life of deprivation! I want real steak and
> real bakers and my vegetable of choice.
> For instance we will be having Veal Marsala this evening with fresh
> pasta and lovely fresh asparagus. We will have a great dessert of
> apple fritter walnut bread pudding with the appropriate sauces. It is
> truly wonderful.
> By the for those of you who are interested we use Allan Brothers Meats
> which are ordered and delivered that same week. They have wonderful
> meats that are only PRIME!

Again... What are your numbers after eating that stuff? There is no way I
could eat pasta and TWO desserts! And no, I am not interested in the meats.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Holy cow, my bg's would be thru the roof in 15 minutes with just the pasta
> Hate to think where it would be after dessert, lol.

I am starting to think he/she is not a diabetic but a meat spammer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> We don't do our bloods until around 10 or so after dinner at 8p,m, It
> seems to be just fine and our endocrinologist, physiatrist and
> internal med physicians are all very pleased with our laboratory
> outcomes.
> Our HgBA1c is 5.6 to 5.9 so that is quite within normal limits for our
> physicians standards.
> Life is just too short to not have fine meals, wine and enjoy what is
> truly good.

There are a heck of a lot of good things on the face of the earth besides
food. You say "our". Are there two diabetics? And why can't you answer
the question? You say you test at two hours after dinner. So what are the
numbers? The A1c is pretty meaningless if you're spiking all the time and
going low to compensate.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> I don't mind the film in many applications, but I agree with
> you for microwaving anything substantial. I use a purpose
> designed microwave cooking container, or a casserole dish,
> or a soup bowl with an anti-splatter cover, or even a mug
> with a bit of cling-film over the top.

I hate the film! I use it when I have to but I can't tell you how many
times I've had to throw a roll of it out because it stuck to itself and I
just couldn't get it apart. I've also gotten cut on the sharp cutting edge.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> You see I can' imagine a bean burrito with rice and beans to me it
> just sounds awful.
> I would so much rather have something nice and worth eating. I really
> don't care for border foods.

Border foods? What does that mean? Those are my favorite foods. Really!
If I weren't a diabetic and didn't have this blasted gastroparesis, I would
live on beans, rice, pasta and salads. Yummmmmmmmmm! You can have your
meat. I hate it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Indeed!

Well, if you're on insulin, you have a lot more leeway with your food than
those of us who are not on insulin do.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 6:18 pm, Alan S > wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:59:17 -0700, brigmave
>
> > wrote:
> >I really don't care for border foods.

> ??? What is a border food? Something marginal?
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> --http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
> latest: Cinnamon, Spices, Herbs and Similar

Border food is, as I was told, foods from the mexi borders and is
based upon the mestizo culture. It is made up of cheap foods such as
beans, rice, a flat bread.
Little meat or vegetables are included. Evidently they have a huge
incidence of DM.
Having lived in Mexico City and So. America for some time I can assure
the foods served in the border towns and in So. California bear no
resemblance to
the real foods of Mexico.
So.America has wonderful beef and it is served so many ways and Mexico
city has great fresh fish and vegetables.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 10:10 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > To me thats represents a life of deprivation! I want real steak and
> > real bakers and my vegetable of choice.
> > For instance we will be having Veal Marsala this evening with fresh
> > pasta and lovely fresh asparagus. We will have a great dessert of
> > apple fritter walnut bread pudding with the appropriate sauces. It is
> > truly wonderful.
> > By the for those of you who are interested we use Allan Brothers Meats
> > which are ordered and delivered that same week. They have wonderful
> > meats that are only PRIME!

> Again... What are your numbers after eating that stuff? There is no way I
> could eat pasta and TWO desserts! And no, I am not interested in the meats.

This certainly is not a meal I would classify as "that stuff" this
meal is very healthy and one can eat wisely. There are not two
desserts? Only one!
To honor your request I tested 1 hour and 2 hours post evening meal at
8p.m.
At one hour it was 130 and at the 2nd hour it was 119.
I am sorry you are not interested in meat. I love meat and have it at
almost every meal and it must be prime meat. Tomorrow evening we will
be having rabbit en portage. This will be served with Japanese black
rice. It will also have Japanese vegetables and Sunimono. We will
have green tea ice cream for dessert.
A minimal carb meal.
Now what were your blood glucose levels post you evening meals?
By the way I don't eat luncheon. A late breakfast and nothing until
the evening meal.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 10:11 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> > Holy cow, my bg's would be thru the roof in 15 minutes with just the pasta
> > Hate to think where it would be after dessert, lol.

> I am starting to think he/she is not a diabetic but a meat spammer.

Sorry to have you think otherwise but I have been a Diabetic for 35
years!
I am sure you could call me a meat spammer as I do love meat of all
kinds.Why would a small amount of pasta cause a great rise in the
blood glucose. Perhaps if you eat in the American way that could
happen but we serve in the French or Continental manner. In America I
have noticed one does not just have a serving of an item but a whole
plate is served incidental to the main course.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 10:13 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > We don't do our bloods until around 10 or so after dinner at 8p,m, It
> > seems to be just fine and our endocrinologist, physiatrist and
> > internal med physicians are all very pleased with our laboratory
> > outcomes.
> > Our HgBA1c is 5.6 to 5.9 so that is quite within normal limits for our
> > physicians standards.
> > Life is just too short to not have fine meals, wine and enjoy what is
> > truly good.

> There are a heck of a lot of good things on the face of the earth besides
> food. You say "our". Are there two diabetics? And why can't you answer
> the question? You say you test at two hours after dinner. So what are the
> numbers? The A1c is pretty meaningless if you're spiking all the time and
> going low to compensate.

My dear it is a bit difficult to obtain post meal blood glucose when
we have not yet eaten. I have posted this to you in a prior post.
By the way I just don't spike unless I have an infection of some
sort! I don't spike with stress or much else and eating two meals per
day really does not allow for spikes.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

>We don't do our bloods until around 10 or so after dinner at 8p,m,

Then you have no clue what your control is, because you're almost
certainly missing your peak.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine