Old 26-11-2010, 12:33 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best Ways to Serve a Turkey "Baked" or "Fried"

Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

Old 26-11-2010, 04:59 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:33:34 -0800 (PST), siplasvegas1
wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

I've been doing turkeys for many, many years. Mostly I smoke 'em. I
tried frying one time. Never again! Just too much trouble and
expense. Plus it's dangerous and you have to be extremely careful.
I don't stuff turkeys.
Eddie
Old 26-11-2010, 06:20 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Nov-2010, Omelet wrote:

In article
,
siplasvegas1 wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

Stuffing a deep fried turkey is a very bad idea...

Stuffing a turkey for any reason is a very bad idea.
--
Peace! Om

Stuffing 'AFTER' the bird is cooked is okay. Some folks just have to
have stuffing peeking out of the bird.

--
Brick (Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.)
Old 27-11-2010, 03:57 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 25, 7:33*pm, siplasvegas1 wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". *There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? *Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. *Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. *Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

I'd stuff it and take the chance. Sew up the cavity though. I've
never done deep fried turkey, so my opinion is based on theoretical
results. Good luck.
Old 28-11-2010, 02:52 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

A Moose In Love wrote:
On Nov 25, 7:33 pm, wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

I'd stuff it and take the chance. Sew up the cavity though. I've
never done deep fried turkey, so my opinion is based on theoretical
results. Good luck.

I've been deep frying for the last five years. Stuffing won't work...

Old 29-11-2010, 01:07 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

I prefer to put mine on a spit over an open wood fire. No stuffing but
I do fill the cavity with flavorings depending on my mood, ie: apples,
onion, herbs, etc.
I've done the deep fried thing and to be honest I wasn't impressed
after all the raving I had heard about it. Probably will never do it
again.

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Old 29-11-2010, 10:37 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

I've done the deep fried thing and to be honest I wasn't impressed
after all the raving I had heard about it. Probably will never do it
again.

To me it tasted like fried Chicken. No big whooop de doopdee.

Craig
Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

Never stuff the bird if you are deep frying, it will end in disaster.
I've used canola oil with good results, and use a cajun injection
sauce. Good flavor, but not to everyone's liking. Last year we did a
roasted turkey and a smaller one deep fried.

Things to remember:

-Never use anything but a fully thawed bird that is dry. A frozen
bird will cause an oil explosion and very large fire

-Never overheat the oil, it will catch on fire

-Put the damn garden hose away, it won't put out a fire, and will make
it much worse

-Stay clear of buildings, trees, or anything else you don't want to
see go up in flames

-Lower the bird into the oil very slowely and be ready to lift it out
some if the oil comes anywhere near bubbling over

-Once it is in the oil, maintain the proper oil temp with a long
thermometer

That said, I have done about a dozen birds and never had a problem,
but I also tend to the paranoid side of safety when cooking one.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 20:57:33 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article
,
siplasvegas1 wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Keith

Stuffing a deep fried turkey is a very bad idea...

Stuffing a turkey for any reason is a very bad idea.

My family has stuffed roasted turkeys for generations. Just have to
make sure you do not make the stuffing up in advance, make the
stuffing when you are going to use it. Stuff the bird tight, and
straight into the oven. Then check the temp of the stuffing like you
would a piece of meat. Done bird does not equal done stuffing.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:34:31 -0600, Omelet

mike wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 20:57:33 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article
,
siplasvegas1 wrote:

[...]

The trouble is, it's not unusual for done stuffing to mean overdone
bird. ;-) Mom also used to stuff the turkey and it was always dry. We
finally started having juicy birds when she quit stuffing them...

YMMV as always!

My mother's turkey has turned out dry the last few years, and I have
noticed that she stuffs the bird very loose. When he was alive, my
dad always stuffed the bird and literally punched the stuffing into it
with his fist and it was crammed in TIGHT. He swore that tight
stuffing was the secret, and I've always followed it. Not every bird
is perfect, but most are very moist and juicy.

I'm guessing it is just like good BBQ, takes a bit of doing to get
good results every time, and even then, there will be failures

Anyway, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Just makes the
world a more interesting place.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:18:46 -0500, mike wrote:

My mother's turkey has turned out dry the last few years, and I have
noticed that she stuffs the bird very loose. When he was alive, my
dad always stuffed the bird and literally punched the stuffing into it
with his fist and it was crammed in TIGHT.

Sounds kinky. I think there's a term for that... An even a couple
books on the subject.

-sw
Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:41:29 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:18:46 -0500, mike wrote:

My mother's turkey has turned out dry the last few years, and I have
noticed that she stuffs the bird very loose. When he was alive, my
dad always stuffed the bird and literally punched the stuffing into it
with his fist and it was crammed in TIGHT.

Sounds kinky. I think there's a term for that... An even a couple
books on the subject.

-sw

Nope, he just packed dressing, not fudge..... HA!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 12/1/2010 10:54 AM, mike wrote:

Things to remember:

-Never use anything but a fully thawed bird that is dry. A frozen
bird will cause an oil explosion and very large fire

-Never overheat the oil, it will catch on fire

-Put the damn garden hose away, it won't put out a fire, and will make
it much worse

-Stay clear of buildings, trees, or anything else you don't want to
see go up in flames

-Lower the bird into the oil very slowely and be ready to lift it out
some if the oil comes anywhere near bubbling over

-Once it is in the oil, maintain the proper oil temp with a long
thermometer

That said, I have done about a dozen birds and never had a problem,
but I also tend to the paranoid side of safety when cooking one.

Good things to remember. Sometimes being paranoid is a good thing....

BBQ

Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 12/1/2010 3:18 PM, mike wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:34:31 -0600,
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 20:57:33 -0600,
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

I have been taught to stuff, but not pack the bird. The stuffing I made
this year was a big failure. I had a pretty stiff rum and coke and I
think I missed a step or 2 in the recipe. Damn eyes !!! Good thing
brother made a wild rice dressing that was a good replacement for what I
ended up throwing away. Not good enough to feed the wild animals..

Agree that being a good cook/barbecuer means knowing when things are not
going well and make adjustments. And that takes practice, practice and
more practice. Recipe/Cook books only tell you what to do, but the
"hands on" experience is where you will learn. Failures are a great
teacher !!!!!

BBQ

Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 12/2/2010 12:33 PM, Omelet wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

A fire extinguisher handy is not a bad idea either. ;-)

Very true. I have had 1 non damaging grease fire in my home. Scared
the bejeezus out of me. I knew enough to not use water. I was able to
cover the pot to put it out.

It seems every year at Thanksgiving someone uses a Turkey Fryer
carelessly and loses a garage or deck because of a fire. I have not
heard of it happening this year, but I would bet it happened, somewhere...

Keeping the cooker within eye sight is very important.

BBQ