Posted to alt.food.barbecue
mike mike is offline

Default Best Ways to Serve a Turkey "Baked" or "Fried"

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:00:04 -0600, bbq > wrote:

>On 12/3/2010 12:00 PM, mike wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 20:55:24 -0600, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In >,

>>> Yeah. :-) Getting that stuffing soaked with those roasting juices is
>>> pretty tasty.
>>>
>>> I still have not gotten around to cooking mine yet. Just have not had
>>> the bloody time! I'm planning on adding ground turkey to the dressing
>>> to see if I can mimic that goodness somewhat.
>>>
>>> I have had very good results using my electric roaster for turkey and
>>> setting my time at 10 minutes per lb. Last year tho', I ended up cutting
>>> one hour off the time as when I checked the turkey, it was obviously
>>> done last year! Best darned bird I ever cooked. ;-d
>>>
>>> I bought some lemons yesterday. I want to try doing the turkey like I've
>>> done lemon roasted chicken. That stuff is fantastic:
>>>
>>> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/LemonRoastedChicken#>

>> Those do look good!
>>
>> the wife got a certificate for turkey from her employeer, going to
>> give brining and smoking it a try. Pork shoulder is on sale this
>> week, so probably going to be doing a couple of those as well. Just
>> need to find a few free days. Never tried smoking anything when it is
>> below freezing out.

>If wind is minimal, it's a breeze ;-). For best results, I would advise
>having the cooker blocked from as much wind as possible.
>
>I have a small patio off my kitchen, with the garage on one side, and a
>breeze way at the top end of it. It is protected by wind from 3 sides.
> Works great as long as its not blistery cold ( zero or below, with
>some wind).
>
>BBQ

Put 2 pork picnics on about an hour ago. Snowing and 28 outside with
about 5mph winds. So far, so good. Not having any trouble
maintaining temps. Mine is on the back patio at about the center of
the house so it is blocked pretty good unless I get a south wind
straight across the park in my back yard. Needless to say, the snow
isn't sticking to the smoker too well.