Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Best Ways to Serve a Turkey "Baked" or "Fried"

On 12/3/2010 12:03 PM, mike wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 23:43:20 -0600, > wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/2010 3:18 PM, mike wrote:

>>> My mother's turkey has turned out dry the last few years, and I have
>>> noticed that she stuffs the bird very loose. When he was alive, my
>>> dad always stuffed the bird and literally punched the stuffing into it
>>> with his fist and it was crammed in TIGHT. He swore that tight
>>> stuffing was the secret, and I've always followed it. Not every bird
>>> is perfect, but most are very moist and juicy.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing it is just like good BBQ, takes a bit of doing to get
>>> good results every time, and even then, there will be failures
>>>
>>> Anyway, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Just makes the
>>> world a more interesting place.

>> I have been taught to stuff, but not pack the bird. The stuffing I made
>> this year was a big failure. I had a pretty stiff rum and coke and I
>> think I missed a step or 2 in the recipe. Damn eyes !!! Good thing
>> brother made a wild rice dressing that was a good replacement for what I
>> ended up throwing away. Not good enough to feed the wild animals..
>>
>> Agree that being a good cook/barbecuer means knowing when things are not
>> going well and make adjustments. And that takes practice, practice and
>> more practice. Recipe/Cook books only tell you what to do, but the
>> "hands on" experience is where you will learn. Failures are a great
>> teacher !!!!!
>>
>> BBQ

> Rum and coke can lead to some interesting cooking...
>
> Back when the old man was alive, he tried to do turkey while he was
> pretty liquored up. He turned the oven on to broil instead of bake,
> and never checked it. Thought it was going to take crowbar to get it
> apart... we had pizza

Lot of horror stories around about cooking. I am reminded of a friend
who bought a house from her mother. Deal closed on a Tuesday, (mom got
her $$). Thanksgiving was on Thursday. She uses her oven almost daily.
On T-day, it bit the dust. Of all days for an oven to fail..

My sisters bit it on xmas. She called me in a panic. I ended up cooking
dinner at my house and bringing it over to hers for dinner time.

And my favorite one, I was an early teen, wanting strawberry pancakes.
Ok, got the berries and all the other ingredients. Shouldn't be a
problem. Made up the batter, cooked come cakes. Went to eat them, to
find out I added salt instead if sugar. EEKS. Bad stuff. Rum and Coke
was not involved that disaster !!!

BBQ