Posted to alt.food.barbecue
mike mike is offline

Default Best Ways to Serve a Turkey "Baked" or "Fried"

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 23:43:20 -0600, bbq > wrote:

>On 12/1/2010 3:18 PM, mike wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:34:31 -0600, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In >,

>>> The trouble is, it's not unusual for done stuffing to mean overdone
>>> bird. ;-) Mom also used to stuff the turkey and it was always dry. We
>>> finally started having juicy birds when she quit stuffing them...
>>>
>>> YMMV as always!

>> My mother's turkey has turned out dry the last few years, and I have
>> noticed that she stuffs the bird very loose. When he was alive, my
>> dad always stuffed the bird and literally punched the stuffing into it
>> with his fist and it was crammed in TIGHT. He swore that tight
>> stuffing was the secret, and I've always followed it. Not every bird
>> is perfect, but most are very moist and juicy.
>>
>> I'm guessing it is just like good BBQ, takes a bit of doing to get
>> good results every time, and even then, there will be failures
>>
>> Anyway, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Just makes the
>> world a more interesting place.

>I have been taught to stuff, but not pack the bird. The stuffing I made
>this year was a big failure. I had a pretty stiff rum and coke and I
>think I missed a step or 2 in the recipe. Damn eyes !!! Good thing
>brother made a wild rice dressing that was a good replacement for what I
>ended up throwing away. Not good enough to feed the wild animals..
>
>Agree that being a good cook/barbecuer means knowing when things are not
>going well and make adjustments. And that takes practice, practice and
>more practice. Recipe/Cook books only tell you what to do, but the
>"hands on" experience is where you will learn. Failures are a great
>teacher !!!!!
>
>BBQ

Rum and coke can lead to some interesting cooking...

Back when the old man was alive, he tried to do turkey while he was
pretty liquored up. He turned the oven on to broil instead of bake,
and never checked it. Thought it was going to take crowbar to get it
apart... we had pizza